• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Packaging (Nintendo Figurine) - Wallets 'am cry

dock

It's a shame that the licensed characters don't have toys.
I have no interest in Smash Bros, but I want an adorable Pac-Man!

Packaging looks clean but quite large for the size of the figurines. For customers' sakes, it's good that they're not blister packed. It's going to be a lot of plastic land-fills though (from the figurines, too, eventually)

so you're saying 30 years from now, we'll get a Microsoft-funded documentary of a bunch of people excavating an amiibo landfill in New Mexico?

Totakeke

Nintendo built up their franchises so well that this is a crazy uncapitalized market for them.

Can't lie that I don't want some of these even though usually I don't like clutter and buying things just for display.

Zornack

So someone considering buying a Nintendo console will have to buy the console £ 210, the game £ 40 and 16 x £ 15 for these characters to get them unlocked in that game ?

Great for Nintendo I see this as a way to earn more money out of existing customers.

Potential new customers or sitting n the fence for a wiiu may be put of by the very high cost of wanting all the unlocks in a game.

For me to get smash bros and all characters would cost £ 250 + £ 16 x 15 = £ 490.

Really ? Just see this as Nintendo go more niche / existing fan base

Nah, the figures aren't being used to unlock any content, at least not yet. The way they're used in Smash is pretty weird, they're an AI character which you can battle and level up, sort of like in a pokemon-y way, but you don't lose out on any game content if you don't have one. Pretty worthless in my opinion but they're not locking content behind the figures so that's great.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
$10-$15?

I need exact pricing. Might grab Pikachu, Kirby, and Link for $10 each.

I'll pay exorbitant amounts for Captain Falcon if I have to.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Wii Fit Trainer will be mine

1128.gif

Draxal

Oh god. Please tell me the marth amiibo looks awful so I don't have to buy it >.<
Those figurines look SOOO good *_*

They had pics of him, he looks amazing.

For me of the released figures its going to be Zelda, Link, Mario, Peach, Kirby, and Marth.

Who am I kidding[/spoiler it's going to be all of them

Son Of D

I'll wait for details on how amiibo works with other games before I decide on whether I buy any or not.

They'll be universal right? So I won't have to buy 2 Luigi figures for both Smash and Mario Kart correct?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't like the packaging it is the ultimate "piss off, we'll take as much shelf space as we possibly can". There is no other reason why it can't be barely bigger than the figure.

in the US shoplifting is pretty common. Add to that a highly desirable item.. The Disney Infinity packaging was larger than Skylanders to begin with, and even Skylanders got bigger with each new release.

I certainly understand the concern.. but "reasonably sized" packaging in the end just means to more losses from theft.

TBH, my guess is that the size of ALL of these packages are the result of the manufacturers talking directly with retailers.

Sendou

I really hope I can use SSB Mario to do things in other games requiring a Mario figurine. I'm out completely if they want me to buy SSB Mario, Mario Kart Mario, Super Mario Galaxy Mario etc.

I'm curious as to how these will do, the Pokemon ones didn't make a big impact after all.

Well the game was shit for starters. Figurines were available in a very limited quantity. Nintendo didn't really market it.

PusherT

I want the DK, Link, peach and zelda amiibo. Wish Nintendo would make a Wario amiibo. I'm going to train those characters and fight them hard.

I never really understood these things. If I was a kid, and got one of these I would be pissed because there is no articulation. You can't pose them or do anything with them except let them sit there.

Coketruck

I'll wait for details on how amiibo works with other games before I decide on whether I buy any or not.

They'll be universal right? So I won't have to buy 2 Luigi figures for both Smash and Mario Kart correct?

Supposedly. They've said multiple times that the figures are designed to work across multiple games, so (theoretically) your Luigi figure that has your Smash Bros "character leveling up" info will also work with Mario Kart 8 in whatever capacity the figures will work for that game. I guess there's eventually a limit of how much data the chips in the figures can hold, but I have no idea what those limits are.

ionitron

Aghhh I hate removing things from their packaging, and this is pretty nice, but for the sake of space I just might.

I think they said that some of them would be cross-compatible with other games, which I really don't have a problem with, but it's just a little weird because these for example of the smash logo on the stand. Like, would the Mario one be used for Mario Kart 8, Mario Party, etc.? Too early to say, but, just thought I'd mention that, because if this was the Mario Amiibo that they'd use for all their Mario games, I just find it a little odd.

I'm not asking for 5 different Mario ones, though, lol, don't get me wrong.

I hope they release a Sonic, a Pacman, and a Mega Man. Oooof Mega Man please.

But if they release a Yarn Yoshi line, I want a Yarn Shy Guy.

Cbajd5

what if there are rare alt color (or model in case of fit trainer) variants

or exclusive system bundle figures

ha

ha

ha

Top Bottom