• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX Tricky DLC hinted for SSX 2012

Bgamer90

Banned
I'll happily support an SSX game as soon as they make one. I paid full price for this turd (even though I was should have known better), I can't imagine a day when this "team" gets another penny from me.

Heh wow.

I loved the previous SSX games and love the new one.

Fixed1979

fixed that for ya

That's a reasonable fix as I want an SSX game that's fun and not frustrating. It's pretty clear that this group was clueless about how to actually treat the franchise. I think the people who are enjoying the game managed to look past it's flaws, I really tried and couldn't.

Salaadin

I traded SSX back in because it just wasnt doing it for me. Great snowboarding game, bad SSX game. I could not get into it at all.

Tricky DLC will bring me back, though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's something to get me playing again. Hopefully its not "SSX Tricky courses, now featuring bottomless pits!"

Xav

I'll happily support an SSX game as soon as they make one. I paid full price for this turd (even though I was should have known better), I can't imagine a day when this "team" gets another penny from me.

I pretty much agree with this except I don't think SSX 2012 was that bad but compared to Tricky & 3 it's just not the same. I actually booted up SSX 3 the other day and it's still as great as I remember it. DTS surround sound, widescreen, 60FPS, fantastic level design, fireworks, smooth controls. SSX Tricky is also great but I'm more of a SSX 3 person.

MMaRsu

Banned
This would be so amazing, more LONG tricky tracks with no ( or hardly any ) deathpits. FUCK YES.

I await the day I can crush more GAF tricky scores you peasants.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
That's a reasonable fix as I want an SSX game that's fun and not frustrating. It's pretty clear that this group was clueless about how to actually treat the franchise. I think the people who are enjoying the game managed to look past it's flaws, I really tried and couldn't.

I think they started out with a design doc far removed from SSX, saw the reaction from the public and tried to pull it back in, but it was too far gone. So now you have a game that really doesn't go in any direction far enough.

It is about what you like and not many people liked the new SSX. To those of you who are enjoying it, glad you are, but I really did not like it at all.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I actually like the pits as I'm a big fan of Survive events, and even I would love to see these things happen.

I agree the pits have their place in survive. But there's just no point in tricky and race. I know we have rewind, but its not the same at all.

I also wish they would implement a screenshot function a la battlefield series. Instant button, no need to even pause/adjust.

I'd be perfectly happy with them completely killing rewind in race and tricky, honestly. Just old-school track reset would suit most everyone just fine.

soultron

Banned
I'd be perfectly happy with them completely killing rewind in race and tricky, honestly. Just old-school track reset would suit most everyone just fine.

It's difficult with the new physics system they're using, but I believe they could do it. That's another thing that fans have been very vocal about. :thumbsup

Yeah, I really hope the new courses don't have bottomless pits. Out of everything in the new game that I like, the pits are the one thing that spoils the experience.

btkadams

Yeah, I really hope the new courses don't have bottomless pits. Out of everything in the new game that I like, the pits are the one thing that spoils the experience.

yup. i've done one run in mt fuji. i've attempted a couple others but end up rage quitting. such a waste of development.

Favorite game so far in 2012.
Same here. Hard to talk SSX with people because so many have a strong distaste but I've absolutely been loving it!

I wish they would patch them out or make them respawn pits at least. At least make them off limits for geotags.

Patch them out is a big NO NO. Just because some gamers are having trouble on some tracks doesn't mean they should remove the pits. But I'd be fine with a simple reset mechanic so long as it adds a time penalty.

Fixed1979

Same here. Hard to talk SSX with people because so many have a strong distaste but I've absolutely been loving it!

Patch them out is a big NO NO. Just because some gamers are having trouble on some tracks doesn't mean they should remove the pits. But I'd be fine with a simple reset mechanic so long as it adds a time penalty.

Why is patching them out a "big no no", is it because it would be admitting that it ruins the experience and should never have been included? And it's not some gamers that are having trouble, it's a bunch of gamers and SSX fans that have it as a major reason the new game isn't fun to play and no where near the same level as the earlier products.

It's difficult with the new physics system they're using, but I believe they could do it. That's another thing that fans have been very vocal about. :thumbsup

What does the physics system have to do with re-setting a toon?

Why do the pits ruin the game? (haven't played the game so I don't know)
I haven't heard a reason why other than it makes the game harder than the old ones.

Can a skilled player familiar with the tracks not just avoid them, or are they randomly spawned or something?

soultron

Banned
I haven't heard a reason why other than it makes the game harder than the old ones.

Can a skilled player familiar with the tracks not just avoid them, or are they randomly spawned or something?

With familiarity and a properly levelled/geared character, they're quite easy to avoid. I say this as someone who's primarily a race player. It's part of my playstyle to repeat the same track over and over so that I memorize where certain pits are in order to get increasingly better race times.

They're not random, no. Some aren't telegraphed that well, however.

They're not that hard to deal with but I can certainly understand why some people don't enjoy their presence. There are tracks that don't have death pits at all, however, on the inverse, there are some tracks that are meant to be brutally punishing ridge runs (on the sides of cliffs and the peaks of mountains) that demand near perfection in navigational execution. These are some of my favourite tracks, funnily enough. :p

The great thing is that, whenever you're playing while connected to the internet (and in modes that have friends' ghost data) you can overcome most pitfalls (pardon the pun) by simply following the path of ghosts. The community teaches one another how to progress their skills, essentially.

Why is patching them out a "big no no", is it because it would be admitting that it ruins the experience and should never have been included? And it's not some gamers that are having trouble, it's a bunch of gamers and SSX fans that have it as a major reason the new game isn't fun to play and no where near the same level as the earlier products.

Why should they ruin my experience because it ruined your experience? And go ahead and prove to me that most the people who bought SSX think its the reason the games not fun (which is blasphemy!). You think that because all you negative folks pile up together while those enjoying it don't have time for internet chat because they're playing the game. And then its so hard to talk SSX with someone who doesn't get it that I almost rather not.

I'm all for having more tracks that don't have pits in them, those are fun too. But don't mess with what is already there. Thank you.

EDIT: soultron kind of hit on why at least I like the tracks with pitfalls.

SykoTech

Haven't gotten the game yet, but all this talk about the pits is depressing. The last thing I'd want to do in a game like this is to be constantly avoiding pits. Maybe that would fit for Survive It, but not the other modes.

Anyways, not a fan of DLC, but Tricky stuff might be worth a buy depending on how it's implemented.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
There's no good reason for having ramps that launch the player into bottomless pits or cave ceilings on trick it events. Might be fun for you race players but it limits the game for trick players.

Curufinwe

On certain tracks, especially in the Alps, Africa and Patagonia they are all over the place and memorizing the track is more important than skill. It's just not what 99% of SSX fans wanted.

There's no good reason for having ramps that launch the player into bottomless pits or cave ceilings on trick it events. Might be fun for you race players but it limits the game for trick players.
I can see that argument but it also adds a degree of difficulty to the game. I love tracks like Serenity on trick events and its tons of fun but if every track was like that to where you can do some huge uber trick every two feet it'd get pretty boring in my opinion. I like how there are tracks for trick events where you have to manage your line and take risks.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I can see that argument but it also adds a degree of difficulty to the game. I love tracks like Serenity on trick events and its tons of fun but if every track was like that to where you can do some huge uber trick every two feet it'd get pretty boring in my opinion. I like how there are tracks for trick events where you have to manage your line and take risks.

Doubt it. The first three games never got boring.

soultron

Banned
I think a better designation of trick tracks would've definitely helped, yeah. Still, I could argue that some tracks have too many annoying ramps to be fun race courses. :p

Serenity is a boring race track, in my opinion, because it was clearly designed for trick events. I feel that if certain tracks were designed with one mode in mind, it'd not be such a polarizing game for some. What do you think?

Fixed1979

Why should they ruin my experience because it ruined your experience?
I can use this same argument, except I can't imagine that taking away the pits is going to make you loathe this game as much as I do. I suppose it's all relative.

And go ahead and prove to me that most the people who bought SSX think its the reason the games not fun (which is blasphemy!).
I didn't mean to refer to everyone who bought the game only those who have come to find out that this wasn't the game they were hoping for, from what I can see based on those who are complaining the pits are usually at the top of the list.

And then its so hard to talk SSX with someone who doesn't get it that I almost rather not.
Surprisingly this is how I feel as well...right now.

EDIT: soultron kind of hit on why at least I like the tracks with pitfalls.

Soultron has had his rose covered glasses on since before day 1, I'm convinced that regardless if this game was literally just a piece of shit sliding down a mountain of shit he would still be praising it.

Anyway I'll leave you guys to this thread, didn't mean to shit it up so much. :)

Haven't gotten the game yet, but all this talk about the pits is depressing. The last thing I'd want to do in a game like this is to be constantly avoiding pits. Maybe that would fit for Survive It, but not the other modes.

Anyways, not a fan of DLC, but Tricky stuff might be worth a buy depending on how it's implemented.
There are a good number of tracks with minimal death pits. I stick to those now that I've finished World Tour, and have a great time.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think a better designation of trick tracks would've definitely helped, yeah. Still, I could argue that some tracks have too many annoying ramps to be fun race courses. :p

Serenity is a boring race track, in my opinion, because it was clearly designed for trick events. I feel that if certain tracks were designed with one mode in mind, it'd not be such a polarizing game for some. What do you think?

I agree, that's exactly the problem. A lot of the tracks in this game just aren't designed for racing and tricking together.

Zen

Banned
I traded SSX back in because it just wasnt doing it for me. Great snowboarding game, bad SSX game. I could not get into it at all.

Tricky DLC will bring me back, though.

I felt it was neither. The game was ridiculously hard versus AI, and you essentially had one mistake and you were done (rewind completely screwed you in races anyway). It didn't sem to have any character interaction, and bottomless pits galor that would force a complete restart.

Maybe fixing the deadzone was all good, but I ended up trading it in.

Dany

Banned
SSX is racing game that funnels you down the mountain. The goal is to race/trick yourself to the bottom. You wipe out in SSX you lose ALL momentum to win. The pits were a bad idea. I don't want to memorize tracks, I just want to jump, pull a cool trick and NOT head straight down a bottomless cavern.

soultron

Banned
Soultron has had his rose covered glasses on since before day 1, I'm convinced that regardless if this game was literally just a piece of shit sliding down a mountain of shit he would still be praising it.

Anyway I'll leave you guys to this thread, didn't mean to shit it up so much. :)

You're not the first person to criticise me. Still, I admit this game has flaws. I've done so on this very page.

I'm okay with the fact that you don't enjoy the game.

Also, I didn't like SSX On Tour or SSX Blur and I consider myself a diehard SSX fan.

Of cause you can avoid them and it isn`t too hard to do it to be honest. I even like them because it makes the boarding and tracks more interesting. I don`t get all the whining.

Bebpo

Banned
SSX is racing game that funnels you down the mountain. The goal is to race/trick yourself to the bottom. You wipe out in SSX you lose ALL momentum to win. The pits were a bad idea. I don't want to memorize tracks, I just want to jump, pull a cool trick and NOT head straight down a bottomless cavern.

And it's not like the game has 5 tracks that you can just memorize. There are like 40+ tracks and some are quite long with pits at every corner.

It took me hours just to learn the Mt. Fuji tracks and those were not fun hours, they were hours swearing and being annoyed over and over again.

SSX used to be a game about "fun"

And it's not like the game has 5 tracks that you can just memorize. There are like 40+ tracks and some are quite long with pits at every corner.

It took me hours just to learn the Mt. Fuji tracks and those were not fun hours, they were hours swearing and being annoyed over and over again.

SSX used to be a game about "fun"
Out of all the tracks, how many have pits? And of those, how many have pits that really require you to memorize (i.e. aren't obviously told to you by visual cues). It's really not that big a deal.

I also find it funny of all the mountains you can complain about you complain about Mt. Fuji. Really? That one falls into "few death pits that are clearly indicated to you" group.

But if you somehow can't have fun in this SSX then perhaps you should just move on? Or continue to play the previous ones?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Out of all the tracks, how many have pits? And of those, how many have pits that really require you to memorize (i.e. aren't obviously told to you by visual cues). It's really not that big a deal.

I would say most of the runs on 2 of the 9 areas have what I would consider too many pitfalls. And 1 other area has a moderate amount that is bordering on acceptable.

Top Bottom