• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Doctor Strange | Production Thread

Pachimari

I don't know if I want Mads Mikkelsen as Dormammu. Isn't he a monster? I prefer Mads to get a role were we can see it is him, unlike just the voice being recognizable.

Mads is probably my favorite actor out there.

I don't know if I want Mads Mikkelsen as Dormammu. Isn't he a monster? I prefer Mads to get a role were we can see it is him, unlike just the voice being recognizable.

Mads is probably my favorite actor out there.

I haven't seen Dormammu, but Mikkelsen with gray hair reminds me of the Nightmare.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This is Dormmamu

769058-dark_dimensions.jpg
This is Baron Mordo

This is Nightmare

This are the Mindless Ones

El Daniel

Benedict Cumberbatch
Tilda Swinton
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Rachel McAdams
Mads Mikkelsen

Is this the greatest cast for a superhero movie ever?

New X-men movie has Nicolas Hoult, Michael Fassbender, Oscar Isaac, Jennifer Lawrence , James McAvoy and more. On the other hand I would rather see this kind of cast in a different sort of movie.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cast is nuts talent-wise. I got curious about the filmography of some of the other people involved:

Screenplay: Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer

• Thoughtcrimes (2003)
  • Sahara (2005)
  • A Sound of Thunder (2005)
  • Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2010)
  • Conan the Barbarian (2011)
  • Doctor Strange (2016)
Screenplay Rewrite: Jon Spaihts

• The Darkest Hour (2011) - screenplay
  • Prometheus (2012) - co-writer (screenplay and story)
  • Doctor Strange (2016) - screenplay
  • Passengers (2016) - screenplay
  • The Mummy (2017) - writer
Director: Scott Derrickson

• Love in Ruins (1995) - director, producer
  • Urban Legends: Final Cut (2000) - writer
  • Hellraiser: Inferno (2000) - director, writer
  • The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005) - director, writer
  • The Messengers (2007) - writer
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) - director
  • Sinister (2012) - director, producer, writer
  • Devil's Knot (2013) - producer, writer
  • Deliver Us from Evil (2014) - director, producer, writer
  • Sinister 2 (2015) - producer, writer
  • Doctor Strange (2016) - director
Cinematography: Ben Davis

• Miranda (2002)
  • Layer Cake (2004)
  • Imagine Me & You (2005)
  • Hannibal Rising (2007)
  • Stardust (2007)
  • Virgin Territory (2007)
  • Incendiary (2008)
  • Franklyn (2008)
  • Kick-Ass (2010)
  • Tamara Drewe (2010)
  • The Rite (2011)
  • The Debt (2011)
  • The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (2012)
  • Wrath of the Titans (2012)
  • Seven Psychopaths (2012)
  • I Give It a Year (2013)
  • A Long Way Down (2014)
  • Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
  • Before I Go to Sleep (2014)
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
  • Genius (2016)
  • Doctor Strange (2016)

Saya

Cast is nuts talent-wise. I got curious about the filmography of some of the other people involved:

Screenplay: Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer

Wait what? The guy that made The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence? Strange choice.

I'm interested in Doctor Strange, but the director worries me. I haven't really loved anything he has made so far. The Exorcism of Emily Rose was ok. And Sinister was alright I guess, except for the ending.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Wait what? The guy that made The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence? Strange choice.

I'm interested in Doctor Strange, but the director worries me. I haven't really loved anything he has made so far. The Exorcism of Emily Rose was ok. And Sinister was alright I guess, except for the ending.

Too bad there are more of them. :(

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0649191/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr3

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
If this really is as trippy and, hopefully, scary as I'm expecting then this could really change people's opinion of a homogenized MCU. I also can't believe what a good cast this movie has and I hope that Dormmamu is in as a horror director would most likely portray him perfectly.

Pachimari

There's new set pictures and the first set video out. Forgive me for no link, just helping out with something. But they can be found at comicbookmovie.com.

[edit]
Here's the link.

Pachimari

From Latino Review mind you:

Apparently the story opens in 1968 Kathmandu (the capital of Nepal) where some dark magic users open a portal to another dimension (probably making first contact with Dormammu, methinks). Leading the dark arts practitioner is a character named Kaecilius, who has ties to Baron Mordo in the Marvel Comics lore. From this first contact, the scene shifts to present day NYC, where we meet Doctor Strange, a gifted but arrogant surgeon. Reportedly, Strange damages his hands in a car accident while talking on his cell phone and even several surgeries from Dr. Nicodemus West are not enough to restore functionality to Strange's fingers. His medical career is effectively over. Apparently his quest for a cure leads him to magic and subatomic particles (Kevin Feige previously stated that the MCU's first introduction to the mystical realm would be in Ant-Man) and eventually to the doorstep of the Ancient One. Apparently, Strange's journey to find the Ancient One is what is currently being filmed in Nepal.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
The beard definitely makes him looks less like Rodger from American dad.

LakeEarth

Definitely looks like
Strange looking for alternate healing for his hands in Nepal
. So they don't seem to be deviating far from his normal origin story.

And I really hope they don't neuter Dormmamu like Marvel did with HumorBot 5.0 in Avengers 2.

Definitely looks like
Strange looking for alternate healing for his hands in Nepal
. So they don't seem to be deviating far from his normal origin story.

And I really hope they don't neuter Dormmamu like Marvel did with HumorBot 5.0 in Avengers 2.
Dormammu needs to be the most threatening villain in a Marvel movie. Thanos is coming, sure, but there haven't been any other life-ending threats thus far.

I hope he's scary, threatening, and actually shown to be immensely powerful.

jph139

It's weird - they specifically said it wouldn't be an origin story, but this definitely looks like origin stuff... extended flashbacks, maybe?

scabro

It's weird - they specifically said it wouldn't be an origin story, but this definitely looks like origin stuff... extended flashbacks, maybe?
feige said it would be an origin story because strange has one of the more interesting ones i think

jmood88

There was the report from a site that said Feige was tired of origin stories but Feige later said that it wouldn't make sense to do a Doctor Strange movie without covering his origin story.

He is right, Feige said that they are done telling Origins

No feige said that they wouldn't be doing origin stories for every new character. He didn't rule out doing it where it makes sense. He later said he thinks Strange has one of the best classic origin stories and it needs to be shown. Obviously, he feels differently about Spider-Man since everyone has seen that origin multiple times now.

Top Bottom