• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Doctor Strange | Production Thread

GAMEPROFF

Banned
AEJYtv6.png

astral-plane-2.jpg

The Doctor is here!
Introduced in 1693s Strange Tales #110 the former neurosurgeon Stephan Strange becomes this dimensions Sorcerer Surpreme, earths protector against magical and supernatural threats.
After a car accident, the egoistical doctor suffers from a tremble in his hands and is no longer able to conduct surgery.On the search to heal his hands, Strange locates the hermit The Ancient One, who later starts to train Stephan in the mystic arts.
After Strange becomes the Sorcerer Supreme, he becomes the owner of the Eye of Agamotto and returns to New York to his Sanctum Sanctorum to fight the Demon Lord of the Dark Dimension Dormammu, his armies of Mindless Ones and other supernatural and magical threats like Nightmare, The Ancient Ones former Apprentice Baron Mordo and Mephisto, the lord of hell.

Even while briefly mentioned in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Doctor Strange will be the first movie ins Marvel Cinematic Universes Phase III to feature a new Superhero.

Shooting: November 2015
Release: October 27 2016

-Story
Synopsis
Before he met the Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange was an unlikable and egotistical neurosurgeon. Everything changes when a car accident limits Strange’s use of his hands, sending him on a maddening quest for a miracle cure. This origin story introduces the magical and mystical realms of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

-Recommend Comicbooks:
-Dr. Strange Season One Physical | Digital
A window-crashing, high-flying, globe-traveling, ghost-battling adventure from the earliest days of Doctor Strange's training in the mystic arts! Part Indiana Jones, part Lord of the Rings, thrill to this new tale of how a selfish, arrogant surgeon collided with a hot-headed martial artist to become the greatest team the mystic arts have ever seen!
-The Oath Physical | Digital
Collects Doctor Strange: The Oath #1-5. Doctor Stephen Strange embarks on the most important paranormal investigation of his career, as he sets out to solve an attempted murder - his own! And with his most trusted friend also at death's door, Strange turns to an unexpected corner of the Marvel Universe to recruit a new ally.
-Doctor Strange (Current Ongoing, 2015) Digital
Who do you call when things are coming out of your dreams and trying to kill you? Or when your daughter is cursing in Latin and walking like a spider? Or when your dog keeps screaming at you to strangle your neighbors? Doctor Strange, of course. He's the only person standing between us and the forces of darkness, but has he been paying his tab?

-Staff:
Director: Scott Derrickson
Producer: Kevin Feige
Screenplay: Thomas Dean Donnelly, Joshua Oppenheimer & Jon Spaihts
Music: To Be Announced

-Lineup:

Doctor Strange, The Scorcerer Supreme/Stephan Strange -Benedict Cumberbatch

The Ancient One - Tilda Swinton

Baron Mordo/Baron Karl Amadeus Mordo - Chiwetel Ejiofor

Rumored to be Night Nurse - Rachel McAdams

-Trailers

Teaser 1

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Hey guys, feel free to correct me if I made a mistake in the OT. I have the feeling that IMDB is not that correct on a couple of things here...

Cerium

Also Fits with Rachel McAdams rumored role as Night Nurse.
Recasting Night Nurse instead of using Rosario Dawson seems to be a strong suggestion that the Marvel film department isn't planning on taking anything from television anytime soon.

georly

The Doctor is here!
Introduced in 1693s Strange Tales #110 the former neurosurgeon Stephan Strange becomes this dimensions Sorcerer Surpreme, earths protector against magical and supernatural threats.

Is this the oldest comic book known to man?

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah you have to be new to comic books if this surprises you. Captain America, Superman, and Batman all started in the 40s.

The 1640's? Damn they are older than I thought. Cap must have been ahead of its time to predict world war 2 a few hundred years before it happened.

So Night Nurse is in this? I thought Rosario Dawson was her...huh.

They originally planned for Dawson to play a form of the Night Nurss character but were told by Marvel that they had film plans for her. So they kinda just didn't call her Night Nurse in Daredevil.

Loxley

This is easily the MCU movie I'm looking forward to the most. Can't wait to see Cumberbatch in the outfit.

But the question is, will he have the giant collar?

Sciz

Holy crap, captain america predates AMERICA!?

The original stories are Amerigo Vespucci fanfiction where he gets promoted to commanding the ships in his expeditions as "Capitano Amerigo" instead of just tagging along.

His origin story's been retconned a lot since then.

alba

Little is the new Big
Probably my most anticipated Marvel moving coming up with Black Panther, I can't freaking wait.

georly

Captain America was the inspiration to create America, don't ya know?

The original stories are Amerigo Vespucci fanfiction where he gets promoted to commanding the ships in his expeditions as "Captain Amerigo" instead of just tagging along.

His origin story's been retconned a lot since then.

TIL, thanks. Was he frozen in ice in any of the original stories?

Funny thing is, yes ;)

Marvel_1602.jpg

haha oh wow, didn't know about this one. Thanks!

I think my only contribution to the thread is that I have heard rumors from multiple sources that Mads Mikkelsen may have a role in the film as well (with one source claiming he is, or is voicing Dormammu)

Dalek

I think my only contribution to the thread is that I have heard rumors from multiple sources that Mads Mikkelsen may have a role in the film as well (with one source claiming he is, or is voicing Dormammu)

That's pretty good. In an ideal world he would be Doctor Doom-but Marvel getting those rights back is so far away if at all ever possible, that he would be so much older by that time.

Holy Shit.

He's Perfect for Dormammu.

Now we need Hugh Dancy in the MCU

Ithil

Recasting Night Nurse instead of using Rosario Dawson seems to be a strong suggestion that the Marvel film department isn't planning on taking anything from television anytime soon.

Rosario Dawson is Claire Temple, even if she has parts of Night Nurse folded in. Steve Deknight said she was originally going to be Night Nurse, then the word came down that the MCU had some plans for her, so they used elements of it and amalgamated it with Claire Temple.

Hope the music is good, I'm tired of how vanilla the soundtracks have been in the MCU. Get like Silver Mt. Zion to do the score.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Benedict Cumberbatch
Tilda Swinton
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Rachel McAdams
Mads Mikkelsen

Is this the greatest cast for a superhero movie ever?

AMUSIX

Hope the music is good, I'm tired of how vanilla the soundtracks have been in the MCU. Get like Silver Mt. Zion to do the score.

I'd love another great soundtrack from the MCU. Phase 1 had some really strong ones (Iron Man 1, Cap 1)...heck, Doyle's work on Thor remains the best in the MCU. But there have been very few standouts in Phase 2 (a few tracks from Winter Soldier, a few tracks from Guardians).

Sciz

TIL, thanks. Was he frozen in ice in any of the original stories?

Only after discovering the fountain of youth and venturing down south to Antarctica. You should also check out the Spanish spinoff tale Señor Florida, which chronicles Ponce de León's wildly off the mark attempt to rediscover the fountain a few years later once Amerigo vanished. Marvel's been using it as the basis for a bunch of their "failed super serum knockoff" plots over time.

Top Bottom