• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT'S A CELEBRATION, BITCHES! Play DOOM and DOOM II online!

Sho Nuff

Banned
While everyone was wanking over next-generation crap, a bunch of dudes who probably get laid way less than me went out and rewrote DOOM to be optimized for Internet play. Oh, and they also wrote an amazing server browser that works just like GameSpy -- if GameSpy wasn't bloated, ad-laden CRAP. It's awesome. It even downloads the fucking WAD files for you if they're non-commercial! And it has a Buddy list!

--> DOWNLOAD ZDAEMON NOW FOOLS <--

8-player coop on Nightmare Mode? CHECK. 16-player Deathmatch? CHECK. Bot support for AI teammen backing you and your buddies up? CHECK. Super-fast network play with little visible lag? CHECK. Thousands of demons being slaughtered as your space marine runs around at 200mph? OH, CHECK, BITCHES.

Downside is that it doesn't use GL and it isn't all pimped out visually like jDoom, but oh well, YOU'RE PLAYING ONLINE!

Playing this online, I was reminded of why Doom and Doom II still ROCK and Doom III is SLOW and CRAPPY and SUCKS.

So anyway, let's play online! This shit is so dope.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The lack of attention in this thread makes me RAGE!!!

sm02.png

BTW my player name is PinkFreud

FightyF

Banned
We should make a special GA wadpack and play that. I use to make levels back in the day...let me see if I still have any backed up...

Thanks for sharing Sho Nuff!

FightyF

Banned
My friend made a great level called Caco Taco, with dead Cacodemons (that looked like tacos, of course) all over the ground. It was like playing in a thick, red, jungle. It made it hard to see opponents until you were up close...that was a sweet level!

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, i'm getting the doom2 wad right now. Anybody up for some co-op?
My username is M3wThr33. Send me a message! I really want to get this going!

Sho Nuff said:
Holy shit I just realized there was an online forum. Mooo~ooods! Can you move this thread?

Yeah, put us in the Online forum where no one will read us and this thread can die a lonely death!

Gaming Discussion (142 Viewing)
Off-Topic Discussion (59 Viewing)
Online / Matchup Forum

^^

that would be zero people reading!

maybe we can keep this thread here so people can be informed about the wonderful possibilities of Net Doom, but start a handle/meetup thread in Online? seems like a good compromise....

M3wThr33

Banned
I stopped for a bit because the lag was pissing me off. I'm going to try to run my own server. It's Doom, how much could it need?

Sho Nuff

Banned
I was playing last night and the lag wasn't bad at all, just a little pause when opening doors mostly. Remember, Doom has like, hundreds of dudes running around at once, so I guess a lot of data is getting shuffled around (?).

The bigger problem is it was designed either for 2-player direct-connect deathmatch or 4-player LAN play. TCP/IP - the idea that someone else might have to handle your packet at some point during play - never came up. I'm sure that "unoptimized" hardly begins to cover the net code.

Vlad

Ok, I just remembered how much I love Doom2, and any free time I had is now going to vanish into thin air.

I'm running a server that (hopefully) can support a handful of people (I just had three other players on it and they were all pinging well below 100). It's using a custom map pack, but Zdaemon should find and download it automatically.

If anybody's interested in a few games, I'll be in there for a while. I named it "GAF Doom2 Server"...

Top Bottom