• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
About what we know so far of the GPD Win 2 i think:

-the hardware will be a great upgrade, but at what cost?
-the 6 inches screen maybe will let us play games with small fonts, but it will also drain more battery i guess
-i hope the screen will remain 720p and not 1080p otherwise some of the additional power will be wasted just for the resolution
-it has a better L3, R3 and other buttons placement...
-...but i don't like the position of the analogs
-we already know it will be bigger because of the screen, but according to this
JLHvZRU.png

it also looks thicker and imo heavier than the gpd win 1, and the gpd win 1 already isn't really light

Imo it will be a great upgrade but not as perfect as people hope, i'm especially concerned about analogs/buttons position and the general weight, two apparently seondary things that have a big impact on a device usability especially if used for long times.

A core m3 Telcast X5 Pro cost around 500 so I'm expecting the WIN2 to be around that price.
I expect even more than 500(but i hope it won't be more than 400 :\ ), the teclast is just a standard big tablet, the win 2 will have similar components packed into a small clamshell with full keyboard and gamepad.

So, greetings everyone. I have been looking at this wonderful piece of tech for a day or two and I am thinking of buying one waaaaaaaay in the future, since saving for it would take a while. But I would like your opinions on the GPD win up to this point. Also I'm getting it to play games from GOG, steam and maybe some slight emulation. Okay maybe a lot of emulation.
A Pc handheld was always my dream and now that i have the GPd Win i think that i was right to desire such a thing.

It's not perfect, gamepad controls aren't that good but i got used to them immediately, as for battery and heat issues throttlestop basically solves them.

I can play up to many ps360 games and even some more recent games, as a Vita owner i can safely say the GPD Win is a generational leap over Vita, i paid less than 2 euro for most of my games(and that's because i prefer buying single games instead of bundles, otherwise i would have spent even less) and i can play games of all genres and eras on it, so yes i'm happy with it.

I hope we'll see a handheld pcs market similar to the one of home pcs.

jimboton

JLHvZRU.png

it also looks thicker and imo heavier than the gpd win 1, and the gpd win 1 already isn't really light

If you take into account the size of the USB port in that which is a known quantity, I don't think the height or the width are actually much larger (if at all) than the Win. The lid does seem a lot smaller to allow for the extra pair of shoulder buttons.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why can't they make the analog sticks click as buttons? P sure there's a mod for GPD Win 1 that allows for the sticks to be buttons.

Jodast

The clickable stick mod is pretty dodgy though. The screws holding the analog stick housing are loosened until there is vertical movement and then sensors are placed below them that are wired up to the L3/R3 buttons on the keyboard.

Going off rumours, the reason why there are no clickable sticks on the new model is because the only company that currently makes shallow depth clickable analog sticks both shares the patent with and sells exclusively to Nintendo. I guess if that's true, the only options left for GPD are either to do the same dodgy setup as the mods or place the L3/R3 buttons in a more accessible place, which is what they decided on.

aaaaa0

Can confirm it does and my screen auto-rotates. Attached a screenshot showing the sensor and the driver version if it can be of any help to you.

To update, I flashed back to an older firmware, and my sensor came back.

I still get annoying issues where about 5-10% of the time when I put it to sleep, it crashes or doesn't come back from sleep and I have to hold down the power button to reset it.

R1CHO

There is a niche for this kind of devices, and the future seems very promising.

Looking forward to the next models.

Mine arrives tomorrow and I am totally excited! Curious about what cases folks have had success with. I see people saying that they can reliably use 3DS XL cases for it but I am curious if anyone specifically has used a Waterfield 3DS XL Cityslicker for it. If so, did it fit comfortably and work well?

Mine arrives tomorrow and I am totally excited! Curious about what cases folks have had success with. I see people saying that they can reliably use 3DS XL cases for it but I am curious if anyone specifically has used a Waterfield 3DS XL Cityslicker for it. If so, did it fit comfortably and work well?
Fits great :) enjoy.

Can't wait for GPD Win 2. Especially if it has a core M.

So, if I want one mainly for dolphin and steam games, should I get version 1 now or wait for version 2?

Depends on your budget. As of now, the version 1 isn't perfect for Dolphin. I mean, I did finished Wind Waker and didn't ran into issues. Framerate was 30fps 95% of the time. But some other games may have troubles.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I have always thought that the GPD Win was weaker than undocked Switch... but it's not?

This is Switch according to gaf
switch.png

The z8700 according to Intel has:
CPU: 1.6GHz normal - 2.4GHz burst (2.56GHz for the z8750)
GPU: 200MHz normal - 600MHz burst
Memory Type: LPDDR3 1600

The CPU is always a lot better even compared to docked mode(and the Switch also has a core locked IIRC), while the GPU is weaker normally but in burst mode it's a lot better than undocked but still weaker than docked mode, but obviously a higher base GPU speed is more important than a high burst speed, it has to be considered that 1080p is more than 2x the pixels of 720p so most of the additional power of docked mode is eaten by the resolution bump.

Long story short:
GPD Win = Better CPU
Switch = Better GPU
but in the end they are close imo.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry for the double post but i decided to look at the specs of rumored core m3 7Y30 of the GPD Win 2 and honestly i'm not sure it can be considered a full upgrade.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/93362,95449

The core m3 has better GPU(but not even that better), but worse CPU! The CPU of the M3 is dual core at 1GHz against the quad core at 1.6GHz of the z8700!

I'm not sure it's a good upgrade, if you have a weak GPU you can easily sacrifice graphics settings, but if the CPU is too weak there isn't much you can do, could this mean that the GPD Win 2 will be able to run less games but with better graphics?

Sorry for the double post but i decided to look at the specs of rumored core m3 7Y30 of the GPD Win 2 and honestly i'm not sure it can be considered a full upgrade.
http://ark.intel.com/compare/93362,95449

The core m3 has better GPU(but not even that better), but worse CPU! The CPU of the M3 is dual core at 1GHz against the quad core at 1.6GHz of the z8700!

I'm not sure it's a good upgrade, if you have a weak GPU you can easily sacrifice graphics settings, but if the CPU is too weak there isn't much you can do, could this mean that the GPD Win 2 will be able to run less games but with better graphics?
That's an inaccurate assumption, the M3 is actually faster. You can't judge CPU performance purely on clock speed and number of cores. For example when it comes to single core performance the M3 blows away the z8700.

That's an inaccurate assumption, the M3 is actually faster. You can't judge CPU performance purely on clock speed and number of cores. For example when it comes to single core performance the M3 blows away the z8700.

Going down to dual-core CPU is still a little concerning, but overall, that M3 should be way better, since the single core performance IS a lot better in it and the integrated GPU does seems to be a lot better.
The only thing I'm really concerned about is that, currently, that chip costs over 7 times more than the one used now.

true Gek

Is there any feedback on the new Win 10 update on the GPD WIN? I read that it may cause a lot of problems and I'm a little worried to update it...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

I know that numbers alone aren't enough, but if a mobile(not desktop) CPU dual core @ 1GHz is way better than a mobile CPU quad core @ 1.6GHz then those numbers mean nothing at all...

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, my GPDWin gets very hot with any 3D game and starts to display heat artifacts. It only did on one game before, but now does for the very light 3D game I'm playing. Is hardware moding my only option?

I know that numbers alone aren't enough, but if a mobile(not desktop) CPU dual core @ 1GHz is way better than a mobile CPU quad core @ 1.6GHz then those numbers mean nothing at all...

IPC is really important. If your dual core, 1ghz CPU has a 4 times higher IPC, it's faster.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+m3-7Y30+@+1.00GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x7-Z8700+@+1.60GHz

As you can see, the single threaded performance is nearly 3 times higher and the CPU itself is nearly 2 times faster.

Durante

The core m3 has better GPU(but not even that better)
It's not a massive improvement, but it's 50% faster in terms of clock, and has 50% more execution units. On top of architectural improvements. Should be at least twice as fast in practice.

apd_ng

After I sold my PSvita, my kiseki machine is gone, either i'll pick up the gpdwin again - if cold steel 1 + 2 runs well on it or i'll wait for core-m3 revision; i miss my kiseki machine :'(

upside of the gpdwin, i get to play the english versions of the games rather than the jp evo's vers & hopefully the zero patch comes out when I do pick up one

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, my GPDWin gets very hot with any 3D game and starts to display heat artifacts. It only did on one game before, but now does for the very light 3D game I'm playing. Is hardware moding my only option?
What heat artifacts?

Are you using ThrottleStop? If not get it disable throttling by choosing the highest multiplyer without a final "t" and find the lowest VID(voltage id) value your GPD Win can handle.

In any case for obvious reasons in spring and summer computers in general become hot sooner than in fall and winter.

When it becomes too hot shut it down or hybernate it for few minutes and it will return to normal temperatures, lower temperature means more battery and better performances.

IPC is really important. If your dual core, 1ghz CPU has a 4 times higher IPC, it's faster.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+m3-7Y30+@+1.00GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x7-Z8700+@+1.60GHz

As you can see, the single threaded performance is nearly 3 times higher and the CPU itself is nearly 2 times faster.
Ok thanks, but if one wants to buy a new cpu how does he know how fast it is if the IPC isn't specified anywhere? :\

It's not a massive improvement, but it's 50% faster in terms of clock, and has 50% more execution units. On top of architectural improvements. Should be at least twice as fast in practice.
Sorry i didn't want to make it look like a little upgrade, i was just expecting bigger numbers.

Defuser

Looking around, there been discussions about core m3 or windows on ARM for the WIN2 but what about Ryzen mobile? I wish the specs and pricing is revealed so we can see whether the lowest line of Ryzen Mobile can be used for WIN2.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Weird, recently throttlestop made my gpd win hotter so i'm not using it and i have to say it's almost like when throttlestop worked lol, maybe the effect of a window update?

I might be asking for too much here, but I wanted to know if anyone's had any luck running WWE 2k16 or 2k17 on their GPD Win? i know there's a few lowspecgamer type videos on youtube, but i still wanted something more concrete. thank you in advance.

I might be asking for too much here, but I wanted to know if anyone's had any luck running WWE 2k16 or 2k17 on their GPD Win? i know there's a few lowspecgamer type videos on youtube, but i still wanted something more concrete. thank you in advance.

I'll give 2k16 a whirl and report back, I have it family shared from my friend apparently.

Anyone tried running Battle Chef Brigade on it? Didn't see any videos/discussions in other regular GPD discussion places. Figured I would ask here.

I looked that up on Steam and it's not yet available?

OK, yeah. WWE 2k16 benchmark on lowest settings gets 10fps, not very fun. The model quality in that game seems pretty high! But too much for the WIN. Plus, it doesn't allow resolutions below 720p in game.
Haven't seen if theres config files to mess with but I wouldn't expect to run it even if there are.

OK, yeah. WWE 2k16 benchmark on lowest settings gets 10fps, not very fun. The model quality in that game seems pretty high! But too much for the WIN. Plus, it doesn't allow resolutions below 720p in game.
Haven't seen if theres config files to mess with but I wouldn't expect to run it even if there are.

You, are awesome! Thank you for the information and taking the time to test it out. Much appreciated. Thank you. That helps.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I have always thought that the GPD Win was weaker than undocked Switch... but it's not?

This is Switch according to gaf
switch.png

The z8700 according to Intel has:
CPU: 1.6GHz normal - 2.4GHz burst (2.56GHz for the z8750)
GPU: 200MHz normal - 600MHz burst
Memory Type: LPDDR3 1600

The CPU is always a lot better even compared to docked mode(and the Switch also has a core locked IIRC), while the GPU is weaker normally but in burst mode it's a lot better than undocked but still weaker than docked mode, but obviously a higher base GPU speed is more important than a high burst speed, it has to be considered that 1080p is more than 2x the pixels of 720p so most of the additional power of docked mode is eaten by the resolution bump.

Long story short:
GPD Win = Better CPU
Switch = Better GPU
but in the end they are close imo.

Ah, I didn't saw this post before. Clockspeed is a very small variable when comparing the performance of two (very) different GPU architectures. Even though flops is still a flawed measure, it will at least give you an idea of how the performance is not comparable:

At 600 to 700Mhz, the Atom x7-Z87xx GPU is rated at 153.6 to 179.2Gflops. While the Switch is rated at 157Gflops undocked, 200 undocked but boosted, and 390Gflps while docked. And I believe that Maxwell flops > Intel's.

Source.

The CPU is indeed stronger, though.

The M3 Model should be all around stronger than the Switch undocked.

JGCD

Neo Member
I was curious and sign myself up for a order since I really loved everything all of GPD. It's surprisingly big but very slick (like an iPad) got the first batch but no real issues as far as I can notice. Keyboard feels nice and battery life seem alright but I haven't really had time to benchmark it. I think it's close to the GPD win in spec but has 8 GB or ram instead of four. I really did it but it's definitely a device that hits the jack of all trades but doesn't impress on a aspect besides size

apd_ng

How far away is the gpdwin revision model (gpdwin 2?) away from being released do you guys think?

Should I wait out for it?

Or hold out for the Smach Z if that thing even happens this year?

I'll prob end up picking up the win again, and upgrade when the newer one gets released

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How far away is the gpdwin revision model (gpdwin 2?) away from being released do you guys think?

Should I wait out for it?

Or hold out for the Smach Z if that thing even happens this year?

I'll prob end up picking up the win again, and upgrade when the newer one gets released

The Smach Z situation doesn't look good, so at least for now don't wait for it, Win 2 will probably be released in 2018 imo(but i wouldn't completely exclude the very end of this year), but take into account that the Win 2 should be way more expensive than the Win 1(win 1's cpu+gpu costs 37 dollars, win 2's one 280 dollars)

NeOak

Posting here because there is no Pocket thread AFAIK.

Pocket was delivered today, but I can't get it until next week :(

I was wondering if there has been any info or updates on fixes for the original GPD Win. Mine currently has a non working keyboard and still crashes out of games. I saw that someone mentioned getting a new keyboard/heatsink but said it was a pain to replace. I wouldn't mind a bit of work to get my keyboard working again. Is there anything to fix game crashing?

Anyone had success getting Aurion: Legacy of the Kori-Odan to run on theirs? It's in the Summer Sale and I was thinking about grabbing it if runs remotely well.

So my right stick just randomly stopped working yesterday in games.

Perfectly functional in mouse mode, but absolutely unresponsive in controller mode.

Any ideas, GAF?

So my right stick just randomly stopped working yesterday in games.

Perfectly functional in mouse mode, but absolutely unresponsive in controller mode.

Any ideas, GAF?

Steam game? If so, turn off the controller configuration options if they're on. Literally just had the same thing happen - no idea why that messed it up.

Otherwise, does it work after a restart?

MJPIA

Never had a chance to finish Valkyrie Chronicles on my PS3 and now I'm finally cruising through it on a handheld.
This is great.

After a month of silence Wade has popped up again on Dingoonity.
win2 的进展及细节我不能公布太多的细节,因为这样会影响win1的销售 :p
预计在2018年的某个时间段 会发布
Win2 the progress and details I can not publish too much detail, because it will affect the sale of win1: P
It is expected to be released at some time in 2018

So at least 6 months and I don't think there will be a set release date.
Whenever sales on the Win slow down they'll release a 8gb 128gb version for a spike in sales and when that slows they'll release the Win2 is my guess.

Top Bottom