• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

NeOak

GPD Pocket is really nice. I did mess up the installation of the screen protector, so RIP.

If the Win 2 is like the Pocket in quality, I would get one.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Trails of Cold Steel's steam page in the minimum requirements has GPD Win specs and it also specifies that it runs at 720p 30fps in portable mode! :O

Is it the first game optimized for the GPD Win? It may look like a little thing but it would be actually huge for us if other mid/japanese games start to aim the GPD Win, I hope others will optimize their games for the Win! :D

Defuser

Trails of Cold Steel's steam page in the minimum requirements has GPD Win specs and it also specifies that it runs at 720p 30fps in portable mode! :O

Is it the first game optimized for the GPD Win? It may look like a little thing but it would be actually huge for us if other mid/japanese games start to aim the GPD Win, I hope others will optimize their games for the Win! :D
Ever since I saw the GPD Win, I always thought Sony should go for this route for their handheld.A sony windows 10 handheld. They could work with devs to introduce portable mode, plus the advantage of the steam library. This could be really help smaller devs in japan/west.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to purchase an aluminum case for my GPD Win? Is it easy to replace?

Eh, that's really nice. I got into the series thanks to my GPDWin.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ever since I saw the GPD Win, I always thought Sony should go for this route for their handheld.A sony windows 10 handheld. They could work with devs to introduce portable mode, plus the advantage of the steam library. This could be really help smaller devs in japan/west.

The problem is that the real source of money for Sony, MS and Nintendo is the percentage from every single game sold. not the gain from hardware sales, so a console from those three without propretary games isn't going to happen imo.

The problem is that the real source of money for Sony, MS and Nintendo is the percentage from every single game sold. not the gain from hardware sales, so a console from those three without propretary games isn't going to happen imo.

Yup. But the real surprise is Razer not trying to make one. I mean, these guys did a lot of dumb things, why not a handheld.

Heck, they even made a 10 inch tablet with a special controller.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The upper lid? I assumed it was the base for better cooling. :S

I have read about people replacing their keyboards. Where I can find one?

Yup. But the real surprise is Razer not trying to make one. I mean, these guys did a lot of dumb things, why not a handheld.

Heck, they even made a 10 inch tablet with a special controller.

With what Sock, though? I hope AMD releases some good Ryzen ones soon.

The upper lid? I assumed it was the base for better cooling. :S

I have read about people replacing their keyboards. Where I can find one?

With what Sock, though? I hope AMD releases some good Ryzen ones soon.

Core M3 with maybe an integrated low tier Nvidia GPU like 920MX.

JGCD

Neo Member
So I got the metal top GPD and was getting it all ready and good to go

-I had the OG 8700 model from geekbuying before and had really no hardware issue (didn't come with a win 10 key tho)

-This model has much better feeling buttons and the fan seem a bit faster

-Also has the 8750 which is very nice

-I took turbo boost off and did the script tweak from reddit as well as undervolting the system by a small amount (Not a fan of the heat)

Games I tested
-Dark souls 2 (ran well at 720p 30fps and was only slighty warm)
-Final fantasy X HD (ran just as well as dark souls but felt slighty warmer)
-Freedom planet (ran perfect and had very little heat)

Overall a pretty decent improvement over the older version and can't wait for the GPD 2

Quick question tho.........has anyone tried any of the pokemon games from the gamecube era (XD or the older one?) with the gamecube emulator? figure that would be fun to play on the go

apd_ng

So I got the metal top GPD and was getting it all ready and good to go

-I had the OG 8700 model from geekbuying before and had really no hardware issue (didn't come with a win 10 key tho)

-This model has much better feeling buttons and the fan seem a bit faster

-Also has the 8750 which is very nice

-I took turbo boost off and did the script tweak from reddit as well as undervolting the system by a small amount (Not a fan of the heat)

Games I tested
-Dark souls 2 (ran well at 720p 30fps and was only slighty warm)
-Final fantasy X HD (ran just as well as dark souls but felt slighty warmer)
-Freedom planet (ran perfect and had very little heat)

Overall a pretty decent improvement over the older version and can't wait for the GPD 2

Quick question tho.........has anyone tried any of the pokemon games from the gamecube era (XD or the older one?) with the gamecube emulator? figure that would be fun to play on the go

I am the same, got the older model when it released, sold that got the metal top model

From what i remember the metal top model runs MUCH cooler, maybe it was a defect in my other model but the other model ran super super hot from what i remember ( maybe i had that throttling program running, which was the cause of the heat?)

but ya, i'm super happy with it, if the GPD 2 does come with the coreM, i'll be a first day for me

Also trying to get used to dragon age origins keyboard and mouse controls, which was super hard because it has no gamepad; game runs super well tho, 40 fps range

The better buttons and superior cooling are really tempting me to pick up one of the newer revisions. I've been playing my Win a lot more lately and still love it, but those are my two persistent issues with the device.

Has anyone seen the newest revision of the d-pad and button silicon for sale anywhere? I'd rather not go with GeekBuying after my less-than-great initial experience with them.

JGCD

Neo Member
I am the same, got the older model when it released, sold that got the metal top model

From what i remember the metal top model runs MUCH cooler, maybe it was a defect in my other model but the other model ran super super hot from what i remember ( maybe i had that throttling program running, which was the cause of the heat?)

but ya, i'm super happy with it, if the GPD 2 does come with the coreM, i'll be a first day for me

Also trying to get used to dragon age origins keyboard and mouse controls, which was super hard because it has no gamepad; game runs super well tho, 40 fps range

Jeez I didn't even think of dragon age XD that would be great.

I still wish we made a OT for this. Comparing games settling and seeing what works plus spread the knowledge around since it's such a niche device

ZOONAMI

You can get a nuvision 8 inch tablet (which is a full aluminum build BTW) with the same chipset for $80, plug in a controller and there ya go. I guess somewhat less portable but I don't really understand people putting this or a 3ds xl in a pocket. Like really you're just going to carry that around all day and not just throw it in a bag for the sake of comfort?

Defuser

You can get a nuvision 8 inch tablet (which is a full aluminum build BTW) with the same chipset for $80, plug in a controller and there ya go. I guess somewhat less portable but I don't really understand people putting this or a 3ds xl in a pocket. Like really you're just going to carry that around all day and not just throw it in a bag for the sake of comfort?

The GPD Win is using a Z8750 chip which is highest Atom chip and it has 4 gig RAM.

Nuvision 8 is using a Z3735F, a piss poor chip and 2 gig ram. There is a reason why it's $80,you're not gonna get much out of gaming with that tablet.

MUnited83

For you.
But that tablet doesn't have the same chipset at all. It's quite the difference in power actually.
I also have big pockets so eh

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

As other said it's not the same, using the same chipset means nothing, a geforce 1080ti and a 1050 are based on the same chipset too but the first could cost up to 10x the second for a reason ;)

About the dimensions i only play at home but if i had to take my GPD Win out i could put it in my relatively small shoulder pouch, the one i have is somewhat similar to this(but different)
41GX1vYGIsL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

but it easily fits in a pocket of a jacket, i don't think it would fit in a normal jeans pocket but even if possible i would never put it there.

NeOak

As other said it's not the same, using the same chipset means nothing, a geforce 1080ti and a 1050 are based on the same chipset too but the first could cost up to 10x the second for a reason ;)

About the dimensions i only play at home but if i had to take my GPD Win out i could put it in my relatively small shoulder pouch, the one i have is somewhat similar to this(but different)
41GX1vYGIsL._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

but it easily fits in a pocket of a jacket, i don't think it would fit in a normal jeans pocket but even if possible i would never put it there.

No lol, the 1080s and the 1050 do not use the same chip.

ZOONAMI

The GPD Win is using a Z8750 chip which is highest Atom chip and it has 4 gig RAM.

Nuvision 8 is using a Z3735F, a piss poor chip and 2 gig ram. There is a reason why it's $80,you're not gonna get much out of gaming with that tablet.

The nuvision has an x5-Z8300, which is a huge improvement over the bay Trail. But yeah it is somewhat limited by the 2gb ram. It's still an insane value imo. I didn't realize GPD had a standard x7, thought it came with an x5.

You're looking at 16 EUs vs 12 basically so I would think the x7 is about 30-40% better than the x5.

Nuvision is still an insane value though imo. It has an excellent display and build quality, does play indies alright, and throw a $25 keyboard case specifically made for it off Amazon and you have a pretty capable mini laptop for ~$100.

The nuvision has an x5-Z8300, which is a huge improvement over the bay Trail. But yeah it is somewhat limited by the 2gb ram. It's still an insane value imo. I didn't realize GPD had a standard x7, thought it came with an x5.

You're looking at 16 EUs vs 12 basically so I would think the x7 is about 30-40% better than the x5.

Nuvision is still an insane value though imo. It has an excellent display and build quality, does play indies alright, and throw a $25 keyboard case specifically made for it off Amazon and you have a pretty capable mini laptop for ~$100.

Heat is a problem because it's fanless. Size and lack of dedicated controls is a problem too.

I was really hoping for more than 15fps in Diablo 3. Does anyone know of some graphical hacks to get D3 up to 25-30?

If you can either read Korean or put up with a machine translation, this person seems to have it figured out. I've seen some people recommend a custom resolution as well.

Does anyone have any experience modifying or replacing the d-pad's membrane? Starting to find it intolerable between the general mushiness (especially the apparent lack of a proper stem?) and lack of anchors. I've already replaced the pad with an N3DS's, but I'm not sure what membrane would be compatible with the Win's activators.

MJPIA

NwZMlO7.jpg

Wade posted a image of a non-functioning model of the Win 2 on Dingoonity.
Which kinda again makes me wonder if they have anyone with experience at marketing over in GPD.
He's said they don't have a set release date other than sometime in 2018 but the impression I've got is they will fully develop it then hold it back until the Win's sales slow to a trickle and release it then but even if it is non-functional I can't see this as doing anything other than cratering the sales of the Win since people are gonna see this, assume the Win 2 is almost complete and wait for that instead.

I can't help but feel GPD is gonna run into the Osborne effect real soon.

apd_ng

NwZMlO7.jpg

Which kinda again makes me wonder if they have anyone with experience at marketing over in GPD.
He's said they don't have a set release date other than sometime in 2018 but the impression I've got is they will fully develop it then hold it back until the Win's sales slow to a trickle and release it then but even if it is non-functional I can't see this as doing anything other than cratering the sales of the Win since people are gonna see this, assume the Win 2 is almost complete and wait for that instead.

What's the Osborne effect?

Also that looks sexyyyyyy, I wonder how the thumbsticks work on the outside; I think I never had an controller with the sticks on the outside

Also, Durante post a blog bout optimizing Cold Steel I for PC / Gpdwin

https://youtu.be/zn1JWvhT7ZI

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163180020530/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-pc

He even has a video of the game running on the win, looks very noice

MJPIA

What's the Osborne effect?

Also that looks sexyyyyyy, I wonder how the thumbsticks work on the outside; I think I never had an controller with the sticks on the outside

Also, Durante post a blog bout optimizing Cold Steel I for PC / Gpdwin

https://youtu.be/zn1JWvhT7ZI

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163180020530/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-pc

He even has a video of the game running on the win, looks very noice

The Osborne Effect states that prematurely discussing future, unavailable products damages sales of existing products. The name comes from the planned replacement of the Osborne 1, an early personal computer first sold by the Osborne Computer Corporation in 1981. In 1983, founder Adam Osborne pre-announced several next-generation computer models (the "Osborne Executive" and "Osborne Vixen"), which had not yet been built, highlighting the fact that they would outperform the existing model. A widely held belief was that sales of the Osborne 1 fell sharply as customers anticipated those more advanced systems, leading to a sales decline from which Osborne Computer was unable to recover. This belief appeared in the media almost immediately after the company's September 1983 bankruptcy:[3]
GPD is unlikely to run out of money and will just run a crowdfunding campaign if that happens and reception is mixed due to the fact it is almost guaranteed to be much more expensive and how they had to move the sticks to the outside to make space for a better heatsink and a m.2 slot but this will effect sales to some extent.

redlemon

I don't think this is really the case. GPD's whole business model is to continually release better models one after another and they've been around for a good few years at this point. That said their devices were a lot cheaper pre GOD Win

GPD's love of shitty glossy plastic is the worst. Dpad still looks far too flat as well, but hopefully it can be swapped with a 3DS one as easily as the normal Win's was.

Durante optimizing Cold Steel for the Win has me hyped, though. So happy to hear that.

Zero3K

Is it possible to remap the mouse controls to where the mouse movement is controlled via the left analog stick and the mouse buttons mapped to the right analog stick (like how the Pandora has it set up)? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Is it possible to remap the mouse controls to where the mouse movement is controlled via the left analog stick and the mouse buttons mapped to the right analog stick (like how the Pandora has it set up)? If so, how do I go about doing that?

Use controller setup in Big Picture Mode.

Seik

Banned
These little things look great.

I'd be interested into the Win2 when it'll come out. How's the QA on these things? Many cases of RMAs around here, dead pixels and such?

Genio88

The idea is good, having a PC in your pocket like the Nintendo Switch is great, but this first version is not enough for me, we need something with better hardware, intel i5 and dedicated GPU like a 1030, and a 6.2 inch screen

These little things look great.

I'd be interested into the Win2 when it'll come out. How's the QA on these things? Many cases of RMAs around here, dead pixels and such?

Bad enough that you should spend a lil extra to buy from either the source or a reputable seller like DragonBox if you don't want to gamble or are opposed to fixing something yourself.

Mine came with a dead left analog stick, which turned into a self-repair job since I cheaped out from the start and went with GeekBuying. The shipping cost to send it back for repairs was a bit ridiculous, the turnaround time was upwards of a month or so, and they're not the most reputable site either. Even if GPD has more capital than most similarly small companies, they still don't have the quality control of a larger one. They seem to be easy to work with if you buy direct and have issues, but most of the resellers are dodgy.

apd_ng

I have the latest model, one of my ABXY buttons sunk which sucks

I'll be opening it up and replacing them with the silicon that Geekbuying sold

Anyone advice? or guides or how-tos to open it up? I've been watching videos and reading the GPDwin forums but still am nervous bout breaking the thing, from what I've seen from all the videos the WIN looks intimidating to open up, especially with removing all the ribbons & cabling

MJPIA

And there goes my battery.

I have the latest model, one of my ABXY buttons sunk which sucks

I'll be opening it up and replacing them with the silicon that Geekbuying sold

Anyone advice? or guides or how-tos to open it up? I've been watching videos and reading the GPDwin forums but still am nervous bout breaking the thing, from what I've seen from all the videos the WIN looks intimidating to open up, especially with removing all the ribbons & cabling

http://imgur.com/a/cUdZM

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The idea is good, having a PC in your pocket like the Nintendo Switch is great, but this first version is not enough for me, we need something with better hardware, intel i5 and dedicated GPU like a 1030, and a 6.2 inch screen

You need to understand that no matter what a handheld will always be waaaaaaaay behind home pc/consoles, the day a handheld will have a 1030 and i5 will be the day when 5080(or 1580?) and i15 will be the standard for home pc.

The entire chipset(CPU+GPU) of the GPD Win has a Scenario Design Power of 2W, look at the 1030 specs:

Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C): 97 C
Graphics Card Power (W): 30 W
Minimum Recommended System Power (W): 300 W

And i didn't even take into account size and price.

It's nice to want things but there's a reason why there's a huge disparity between handhelds and home pc/consoles and that will never change.

Top Bottom