• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

Best way to stream from pc to gpdwin?

Thinking of setting up RPCS3 and streaming that to my gpdwin; only way I can think of ATM is add rpsc3 to steam games? and steam stream it over?

Steam streaming works well for me, yeah. I've had some hiccups here and there, but it seems to be the best possible option. I finished the last few hours of Yakuza on it by running it in PCSX2 on my desktop through Steam and streaming it to my GPD Win.

Had a poor experience playing Shadow Hearts like that last night, but I'll chalk that up to my environment along with the game being very sensitive to input timing.

StereoVsn

I am certainly tempted by GPD Win especially now since it's carried at Amazon through Prime (even sold by Amazon itself) but it's just hard sell right now with me just springing for Oculus, already having dedicated emulator box, and readying for some CPU upgrades come late this year.

Is there going to be a newer version of this with say a newer Intel Core Chip I wonder.

MUnited83

For you.
I am certainly tempted by GPD Win especially now since it's carried at Amazon through Prime (even sold by Amazon itself) but it's just hard sell right now with me just springing for Oculus, already having dedicated emulator box, and readying for some CPU upgrades come late this year.

Is there going to be a newer version of this with say a newer Intel Core Chip I wonder.
yes, there is a GPD Win 2 in the works, and it will have Intel Core m3 on it. Will probably be a bit more expensive but quite the nice upgrade. Should come out in 2018.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

The GPD Win 2 is already in the works and will have an intel core m3 IIRC, it will be out in 2018 though and it will probably be (way?)more expensive than the Win 1.

EDIT: beaten lol.

StereoVsn

yes, there is a GPD Win 2 in the works, and it will have Intel Core m3 on it. Will probably be a bit more expensive but quite the nice upgrade. Should come out in 2018.
Ahh, nice. Might as well wait. I don't commute by train much anymore so it's not as a handheld is a necessity.

Shizuka

I wonder if I should wait for the GPD Win 2. It's not like I want a GPD Win to run demanding games, but it's a lot of money for something getting a better model soon.

DESTROYA

I'm waiting for the Win 2 , while I'm tempted to get a Win the 5" screen has me a little wary. I hope the Win 2 comes with a bigger screen.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm waiting for the Win 2 , while I'm tempted to get a Win the 5" screen has me a little wary. I hope the Win 2 comes with a bigger screen.

Win 2 will be 5 millimeters wider, so a 6" screen is possible(a youtube video speculates of a 7" inches but imo it's unrealistic).

apd_ng

The only thing I want from the Win 2 is that either:

- Super durable pad membranes; that would last a long while, which seems not possible

- a way to replace the said membrane easily

its so off putting having a metal top win and the buttons just sink on you after a few weeks

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So, is Win 2 confirmed?

Yes, i guess that a little summary would help:

Intel Core m3 - 7Y30
4GB / 8GB ram
128 GB ssd

no dinput switch
analogs switched position with dpad and face buttons
it will be slightly bigger than Win 1
it will release in mid 2018 probably
it will be more expensive than the win1(win1 cpu/gpu costs 37 dollars and the Win 1 price was 350 dollars, win 2 cpu/gpu alone costs 281 dollars...)

LwrC4s1.jpg

Shizuka

Yes, i guess that a little summary would help:

Intel Core m3 - 7Y30
4GB / 8GB ram
128 GB ssd

no dinput switch
analogs switched position with dpad and face buttons
it will be slightly bigger than Win 1
it will release in mid 2018 probably
it will be more expensive than the win1(win1 cpu/gpu costs 37 dollars and the Win 1 price was 350 dollars, win 2 cpu/gpu alone costs 281 dollars...)

LwrC4s1.jpg

How high do you think it can go?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How high do you think it can go?

Who knows? I'm not good at predicting prices, i wouldn't be surprised if it would cost around 500 dollars lol, but i hope for GPD that they will be able to sell it for no more than 450 dollars.

MJPIA

Well Kendy, their English speaking rep left GPD before my battery was sent and even though her replacement Kelly should still be using the same email accounts I can't get in touch with anyone and this is getting frustrating.

Sea of Thieves looks like it could be interesting on the Win.
http://www.pcgamer.com/sea-of-thiev...er&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw#comment-jump
At launch Sea of Thieves will have wide FOVs and will support 4K and 60fps, says the game's executive producer Joe Neat, however those playing on less powerful machines will be considered too. 
"We're trying to go as low as possible," explains Neat. "We have an idea of what the minimum specs are but aren't quite ready to reveal them. We've actually been inviting people below our current plan for minimum specs into the technical alpha so we can test a number things on the performance side. This game looks so great regardless of the device you're playing on. Of course it's gonna look great in 4K, 60fps but it also looks great at minimum spec because the art style is purposefully timeless."
Timmins adds: "We've actually added a 540p mode, so you can go below HD. We've also added a 15 fps framerate lock because when we were talking to the community some people were like: I'm actually happy playing 15 frames per second. We were like: that's actually really cool, we should support that. And to them go to them and say, oh, we've added that mode for you—it's below our Rare certified min spec, but if you're enjoying the game, why should we as developers knock you for that?"

nampad

The GPD Win 2 sounds so damn good. Would have already jumped on the GPD Win if it wasn't for the L3/R3 position, something people on dingoonity complained to them way in advance of the release.

Still tempted to get the GPD Win but don't want to throw money out of the window with the much better GPD Win 2 around the corner.

Why are clickable sticks still not a thing

I remember it being some sort of sourcing issue. The only manufacturer that does low-profile clickable sticks does them for the Switch, which GPD can't get in on (from what I remember). GPD doesn't design parts like this - they just buy pre-made ones in bulk. If nobody else is producing, GPD can't do anything about it.

There are mods, but they're all pretty hacky. It's understandable that GPD wouldn't want two more wires running across the board so that two sticks that are only partially screwed in can click down. The potential for defects (as simple as something slipping out of place) is pretty high, especially when you factor in shipping

Doesn't the DS3/4 have clickable sticks?

They're too tall and round to fit in the Win. The Win's analog sticks are the same make as the Vita's.

apd_ng

For those of you that are interested:

Danganronpa 3 Demo ver: Runs between 24 -50 frames from what I can tell there's no customizable options from what I can tell

One Piece - unlimited world red; with options turned down I got a flat 60 with the first two hours of play time

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1 remastered: runs @ 10 fps i assume the sequel is the same

ys7: runs perfect with everything on high(bloom and AF)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

Danganronpa 3 Demo ver: Runs between 24 -50 frames from what I can tell there's no customizable options from what I can tell

One Piece - unlimited world red; with options turned down I got a flat 60 with the first two hours of play time

Naruto Ultimate Ninja 1 remastered: runs @ 10 fps i assume the sequel is the same

Unless you are talking about more specific options Danganronpa V3 demo has some settings, even if very few and very basic ones(Danganronpa graphics are simple after all): resolution, window/fullscreen/borderless and graphics quality.

The GPD Win 2 sounds so damn good. Would have already jumped on the GPD Win if it wasn't for the L3/R3 position, something people on dingoonity complained to them way in advance of the release.

Still tempted to get the GPD Win but don't want to throw money out of the window with the much better GPD Win 2 around the corner.

Take into account that we are talking about a pc, not a console with a 5 years lifecycle.
The win1 started shipping in mid-late 2016, the win 1 is barely only 1 year old and the next year there will be the win 2, if all will go well after the win2 GPD will shortly start making the win3, then the win4 and so on, there will be always a better version around the corner.

Surprised to hear Ys 7 runs so well! I tried Xanadu Next a while back and wasn't stoked with the performance that I got from it. Which graphical quality setting was DRV3 on?

nampad

Unless you are talking about more specific options Danganronpa V3 demo has some settings, even if very few and very basic ones(Danganronpa graphics are simple after all): resolution, window/fullscreen/borderless and graphics quality.

Take into account that we are talking about a pc, not a console with a 5 years lifecycle.
The win1 started shipping in mid-late 2016, the win 1 is barely only 1 year old and the next year there will be the win 2, if all will go well after the win2 GPD will shortly start making the win3, then the win4 and so on, there will be always a better version around the corner.

It's not so much about not having the newest model but more about the power level and button placement.

As I said, I did not buy the GPD Win because of the L3/R3 button placement. Looks like the GPD Win 2 makes the placement more easily accessible.
And, even though the GPD Win 2 will be way more expensive, the upgrade from Atom chip to Core m3 is significant.

I can't see any big upgrade after that for GPD, at least from Intel.

Mihos

Gold Member
It's not so much about not having the newest model but more about the power level and button placement.

As I said, I did not buy the GPD Win because of the L3/R3 button placement. Looks like the GPD Win 2 makes the placement more easily accessible.
And, even though the GPD Win 2 will be way more expensive, the upgrade from Atom chip to Core m3 is significant.

Honestly, I can't think of a game that uses L3/R3 that runs well on the GPD Win. Love the device, but it is pretty much my RPG grinding / Indie machine.

Definitely getting the next one when it comes out also.

apd_ng

Ugh... So, Vita version is it!?

I was running it on high

I re-ran the config tool; set it on borderless720p/medium graphics (lowest option) / no AA

in the walking scenes it still was about 25 frames +

in the court scenes it was about in the 30s

however the VN scenes obviously were fine

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

At this point i have played many ps360 or console-like games and i have never used l3 and r3 but i see your points.
About the chips i read somewhere(in this thread maybe?) that next year intel will release a new generation of core m3 processors at 10nm, if released in time GPD could use them instead of the current ones, otherwise it's easy to imagine that they will probably end in the Win3.

I was running it on high

I re-ran the config tool; set it on borderless720p/medium graphics (lowest option) / no AA

in the walking scenes it still was about 25 frames +

in the court scenes it was about in the 30s

however the VN scenes obviously were fine

Fullscreen runs better imo, also frame counter utilities affects performance, in powerful systems it's not noticeable but on a weak system like the gpd win it's noticeable imo.

apd_ng

At this point i have played many ps360 or console-like games and i have never used l3 and r3 but i see your points.
About the chips i read somewhere(in this thread maybe?) that next year intel will release a new generation of core m3 processors at 10nm, if released in time GPD could use them instead of the current ones, otherwise it's easy to imagine that they will probably end in the Win3.

Fullscreen runs better imo

Does it? I'll give it a shot; been using borderless for most games lol

nampad

Fullscreen runs better imo, also frame counter utilities affects performance, in powerful systems it's not noticeable but on a weak system like the gpd win it's noticeable imo.

It will be a switch to a newer generation of chips in the same power range. The jump from Atom (super low budget and low power) to m3 is much bigger.

I like shooters, those kind of games tend to use the extra buttons.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It will be a switch to a newer generation of chips in the same power range. The jump from Atom (super low budget and low power) to m3 is much bigger.

I like shooters, those kind of games tend to use the extra buttons.

Yeah obviously, but the 10nm technology also ensures lower heat and consumes right?

About L3 and R3, just to be clear and nothing else, i have never really used them and i played games like Binary Domain, Condemned Criminal Origins, Ziggurat, Batman AO and others, but on the other hand i didn't play games like COD and similar, so again i see your point, after all i hate their placement too.

MUnited83

For you.
I know MicroSD is a bit crappy on the Win for PC games, but how's everyone experience with ROMs on it?

Also, anyone tested the Bluetooth range? I want to use it as a Steam link sometimes and i wonder if it would up fine at 4/5meters.

I know MicroSD is a bit crappy on the Win for PC games, but how's everyone experience with ROMs on it?

Also, anyone tested the Bluetooth range? I want to use it as a Steam link sometimes and i wonder if it would up fine at 4/5meters.

Depends on the platform. GCN can have issues. But there are ways to prevent the loading issue by disabling sleep mode for the SD card reader.

Minsc

Gold Member
Depends on the platform. GCN can have issues. But there are ways to prevent the loading issue by disabling sleep mode for the SD card reader.

Technically you're using disc images for gamecube not ROMs. Platforms using ROMs like the NES/SNES/etc, should be more than fine, as those 4MB (or less) ROMs will be probably run entirely in system memory.

SD cards are what people use on Android phones without much trouble for emulation, so there'd be no reason for it to be any different on this.

Technically you're using disc images for gamecube not ROMs. Platforms using ROMs like the NES/SNES/etc, should be more than fine, as those 4MB (or less) ROMs will be probably run entirely in system memory.

SD cards are what people use on Android phones without much trouble for emulation, so there'd be no reason for it to be any different on this.

Yeah, hence why I didnt want to say GC ROMs. But yes, there is an issue since the GPD Win's SD card reader gets into sleep mode because of Windows.

from what I heard even with that done the speeds aren't exactly famous. I'd want to put mostly PSP games on the SD.

Yeah, the SD Card reader is limited to USB2.0. Still good enough for games up to GC/PSP/DC/PS2.

apd_ng

Am I able to turn off the auto-brightness thing?

Whenever I game for a while it dims down, even though all the settings say it is at 100% brightness

Even in power settings I've left everything @ 100% yet it dims down

MJPIA

So the old English speaking rep, Kendy has been with GPD for years and has done everything from dealing with Indiegogo support, answering all their emails, going to trade fairs to deal with English speaking people that visit their booth and modeling for their promo shots (at least I'm pretty sure that's Kendy in the images for the Pocket).
Their new rep that has taken over, Kelly, seems to be totally overwhelmed and also takes forever to respond.
Its been almost a month since my address was asked for to ship a new battery to and I finally get this today.
But i am afraid we can not send battery to US, because that belongs dangerous cargo, would you mind to send back to us to repair for you?
I've seen the horror stories from people that shipped their Win back and I ain't doing that.

I know Kendy has said before that shipping laws involving shipping bare batteries to the US is a pain but if anyone ever had a issue with their battery and needed a new one they'd figure out a way to send one, I just need to find that comment.
Also there's the slight possibility of the damaged battery going boom in transit so that ain't happening plus I was planning to replace the plastic bottom with copper and using teflon sheet to isolate the battery.

Soooo who's ordered stuff from Taobao before, I'll just try to get the battery from there.

MJPIA

Jeez now I know why GPD doesn't want to ship replacement batteries.
I contacted the battery manufacturer directly with pictures and explained how my battery went bad and the device manufacturer wouldn't send me a replacement battery and they came back asking to confirm I owned the device and that they'd send me a good battery to replace my bad one but shipping would be very expensive.
So I asked them too put together a quote to decide and they got back to me this morning.
$55 with a shipping time of 7-8 days and the way its worded implies they are doing this as a goodwill warranty action and I'm not paying for the battery, that is just the cost of shipping.

There are some stupid rules and regulations on battery shipping overseas, ship a flashlight with a battery installed in it and its perfectly okay to ship however you like, ship that battery seperately by itself and suddenly its a dangerous good subject to additional regulations and costs.

apd_ng

Due to hype of Divinity Original Sin 2, I tested DOS:EE on my Win

On the very first area I got:
720: atleast 24 frames, hovered around 22-24 frames
800x600: it boosted up to 35+ frames after setting it to fake fullscreen mode; fullscreen is blurry as hell
640x480: Was about 45+ frames didnt test much on this resolution much

edit:

With the Early Access of the sequel:
720: about 15 frames or so

The game has a dynamic resolution thing going on(?) can't force it to go full screen, If I do it goes defaults to 720p

In windowed mode 800x600 it runs at a nice stable 24fps

im sure we can go lower but it's tinnnnnnnny

Hope they make it like DOS1 where you can borderless gaming that game so it does 800x600 in fullscreen with the full release

Obviously, all of the settings are the lowest available or off

MJPIA

ETA 6 months.
2 days ago
Hi Wade
When will you start GDP Win 2 project? Thanks

Wade Wang
Campaigner
1 day ago
Wait until march next year.Thanks for your support!
So we can probably expect it to follow the same crowdfunding timeline as the Win's IGG campaign which started right at the end of February with delivery in September/October so it'll probably be a year until the Win 2 is in people's hands so people who are waiting for the Win2 will be waiting for quite a while longer.

Top Bottom