• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGogo - Windows 10 GPD Handheld -299$ "A Laptop Fitting in Your Pocket"

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I hope they reveal it ASAP, i like new hardware reveals!
I'll wait for the gpd win 3 to upgrade though.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Then the 3 comes along.... You'd wait till the fourth update :p

Maybe lol, but the reason is that i'm used to buy a pc/console and stick with it for years and upgrade only with a big upgrade, take into account that my gpd win is still new, i got it in march, so it's only 7 months old, also this kind of stuff isn't cheap,

MJPIA

We're following the exact same pattern as before.
GPD unveiled concept art of several different designs and started soliciting feedback for the Win in the middle of December 2015.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/windows-handheld-device/
And then revised it again at the end of the month turning it into the design we have now.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-a...ndows-10-handheld-device/msg135985/#msg135985

Then they finalized the design and launched the IGG campaign in February.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg139187/#msg139187
They'll unveil a complete rendering of the device in Dec, solicit feedback and tweak the design to account and then launch the campaign.

We are following the same timeline as last time.
They've got more experience designing a Windows device this time so it might be released faster but I expect the Win 2 being released to the world in ~12'ish months.

redlemon

GPD unveiled concept art of several different designs and started soliciting feedback for the Win in the middle of December 2015.
And then revised it again at the end of the month turning it into the design we have now.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-a...ndows-10-handheld-device/msg135985/#msg135985

I forgot how mad looking some of those early concept designs were.

dLMN8R

I'm worried about a future GPD Win because it's not clear what newer hardware they could use. Intel abandoned the low-powered chips the first one is using, so what could a new GPD Win use to improve performance over the first?

NeOak

I'm worried about a future GPD Win because it's not clear what newer hardware they could use. Intel abandoned the low-powered chips the first one is using, so what could a new GPD Win use to improve performance over the first?
Core m3.

They said it a long time ago.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wanted to try Doom 2016 demo on the gpd win because why not... and well i was suprised!
The game requires at least 8gb of ram and hardware that's way more powerful than the one in the gpd win, the game definitively wasn't made with the gpd win in mind, but despite that with the very minimum settings it's "playable" in the sense that almost there isn't big stuttering and in fact you can easily aim the enemies and finish the demo without taking big damages but it's definitively slower than it should be(but less than other heavy games though).
For some reason it didn't let me change the 720p resolution, only the resolution scale, i bet that with a lower resolution but higher resolution scale i could have had better results. fps and image quality-wise.

Some screens, it looks rather good on the small screen except when there are stairs and other straight things because the low resolution scale becomes really evident

EDIT:
for some reason in the first part of the demo, the indoor one, the fog was so close that almost i couldn't see the enemies lol especially in the big room with that big red thing at the center, but in the rest of the demo the fog is way more distant(in the screens don't confuse the flying sand with the fog).

MJPIA

Ooooh
https://www.reddit.com/r/gpdwin/comments/75rqm8/after_8_hours_print_finally_a_proper_grip/
1cso7vskc9rz.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2581506

nampad

Then they finalized the design and launched the IGG campaign in February.
https://boards.dingoonity.org/gpd-windows-devices/gpd-win-on-indiegogo/msg139187/#msg139187
They'll unveil a complete rendering of the device in Dec, solicit feedback and tweak the design to account and then launch the campaign.

We are following the same timeline as last time.
They've got more experience designing a Windows device this time so it might be released faster but I expect the Win 2 being released to the world in ~12'ish months.

They didn't really take any of the advise of the dingoonity community though.

Just wondering, but does anyone else hear a slight whine when using headphones with the Win? I'm not sure if I've just never noticed it or not, but I swear it hasn't happened until very recently. I can hear it a bit without headphones as well - fairly standard electrostatic interfere noises, but again, I don't remember the system always sounding like this.

edit: Messing with it more, it seems to be related to USB usage. More or less unnoticeable when a drive isn't plugged in, but very prevalent otherwise. Any suggestions for eithet eliminating this or better insulating the audio jack from interference?

e2: Aaaand the noise completely stops when the fan is set to max, but is present when off or on medium. I tried with the fan unplugged completely the other day and had the same sound issue so I'm not sure where this leaves me.

MJPIA

They didn't really take any of the advise of the dingoonity community though.

Not much but they did take some for the original Win especially when looking at their original ideas and for the Win 2 they've incorporated a fair bit of community feedback into its development.
Still not perfect but the fact we're able to directly pitch feedback to GPD's cofounder and device developer is nice and better than nothing.

Replacement battery has arrived in the US from China and soon I'll have it in my hands.
Then time for heat mods and a new battery.

welp that's faster than I expected as far as a prototype is concerned. We might be getting this sooner than expected.

Which... will make my recent purchase of an aluminum model all the more embarrassing. I couldn't find a solution to my headphone problem and bit the bullet on a new one from the June (?) batch. It's such a huge improvement over my October 2016 GPD Win - really shocked they put so much work into these half-step revisions. Still hate the glossy buttons, but the newer ones feel pretty solid, and the dpad seems to have had some changes beyond just the membrane (though the almost completely flat surface is very un-ergonomic).

apd_ng

How good are Square gonna port FF15, they stated they are porting to work with legacy hardware, imagine playing FF15 on handheld

I hope they tease us more with the keyboard / gamepad if there's any changes from the concept images im hyped

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How good are Square gonna port FF15, they stated they are porting to work with legacy hardware, imagine playing FF15 on handheld

I hope they tease us more with the keyboard / gamepad if there's any changes from the concept images im hyped

It seems to me that the version with chibi characters is aimed to weak hardwares, that version will probably be good on the gpd win, but i doubt that the normal version of FFXV will be well playable on the gpd win.

MJPIA

I remember seeing a comment on Baidu from GPD about official announcement in November but I wasn't sure if that was true or not because of vague machine translations but I'd say it is now.
Compared to the Win this campaign shouldn't take nearly as long provided they don't delay to drag out sales of the Win for a little while longer.

http://tieba.baidu.com/p/5367249888
when the time is the public or direct sale, all time too long

Guerrilla jetting : the first mobilization, first in foreign countries all chips!
2017-10-13 05:21 Reply

lzdhaoa : reply guerrillas sprayer: the domestic can all do it?
2017-10-13 19:11 Reply

Guerrillas spray : reply lzdhaoa : domestic will be in the foreign public after the end of the package
Crappy machine translation but we should be getting it first I think.
I was waiting for two out, the configuration of the high price of your point does not matter, hope this year can be out

Guerrillas : the price will be very expensive, patience and so on
2017-10-13 05:21 Reply

lzdhaoa : as long as the performance is good, your point is not afraid, the lowest effect can play some nearly a year or two of the masterpiece is perfect,
2017-10-13 05:27 Reply

surubi2 : reply guerrillas: pocket with the same u?
2017-10-13 05:37 Reply

Guerrillas jet : reply lzdhaoa : the latest AAA level masterpiece no problem
2017-10-13 05:38 Reply

Guerrillas jet : reply surubi2 : no, Pocket positioning light office, may use a more lightweight processor, but certainly stronger than the Z8750.
Obviously ain't gonna be cheap which was known but there's a interesting tidbit about the Pocket 2 with a processor stronger than the Z8750 but not as strong as the Win 2.
N4200 maybe?

Awesome!

The shiny plastic looks cheap but i can't wait to see it in action :D

I knew that a borderless 7 inches screen wasn't realistic though, maybe with the win 3...

I'm hoping that the plastic is just because it's a prototype model, but who knows.

Not too fond of some of the aesthetic choices (and reeeaaally hope the dpad is better...), but it's neat to see that they've made so much progress on this already! The centered keyboard is looking much better.

Phawx

Now, I am interested in this new version. Do you have a link of what spec this new version will have?

All we know 100% is that it's running HD615 iGPU. Most likely it'll be M3-7Y30 as there are a lot of Chinese tablets with that SoC and it's the Doc GPS can get in reasonable quanity at a decent price. We still don't know RAM, but I anticipate 8GB and we don't know eMMC nand storage yet either. It might be 256GB so that asking for $500 seems a bit more reasonable. I don't know 100% yet on those details.

What type of cpu would this need to run Higen/BSNES accuracy?

Does a mobile chip exist yet?

M3-7Y30 has fast single threaded speeds which BSNES loves. I can do a test for you on a tablet with M3-7Y30 set at 7 watt TDP so you can see.

Do want have any games in specific that you'd want me to test?

MUnited83

For you.
256GB might legit make me just go for the early bird indiegogo price. Otherwise i'll wait for the usual few revisions before I pick it up.

I also just ordered the GPD Win 1 a couple of weeks ago so I can definitely wait, but having 256GB of fast eMMC storage would be a hell of a incentive for me to get the 2 right away.

MJPIA

I know GPD was looking at launching the Pocket on Kickstarter alongside their IGG campaign to attract more backers by using a third party campaign manager in the EU to get around rules against Chinese campaigns before dropping that idea because of the Pocket's huge success.
I'm curious if GPD will try doing a Kickstarter campaign for this or just stick to their usual IGG campaign.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My biggest complain with my GPD win are:

• Shitty SD card slot.
  • Shitty USB 2.0
  • The 'S' and 'Z' keys on my KB don't work.

Any word if they will address those issues with the new revision? Also, it hasn't happened to me, but batteries expanding seems to be a common occurrence.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'll repost this site
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

according to it depending on the clock the win 2 gpu could be comparable to the one on switch(or even slightly more powerful)...

There's a huge difference though: on Switch games are designed to run in undocked mode with half of the power, the additional power of the docked mode is used to give a little boost to the portable mode graphics, it can't be used to add elements that the portable mode can't handle, in theory the win 2 could play games that switch couldn't or with less downgrades.

Pc games aren't made with the GPD Win in mind unlike Switch games though, optimization can really do miracles, so it will be interesting to see multiplatform comparisons.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Maxwell flops are much better than Intel's, though. On the other hand, the core cpu is much stronger than the A57's.

MUnited83

For you.
My biggest complain with my GPD win are:

• Shitty SD card slot.
  • Shitty USB 2.0
  • The 'S' and 'Z' keys on my KB don't work.

Any word if they will address those issues with the new revision? Also, it hasn't happened to me, but batteries expanding seems to be a common occurrence.

? Fairly sure the GPD Win has USB 3.0.
The GPD Win 2 will have SD card slot, and it will also support the new recent M2 memory format which should be pretty darn fast.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maxwell flops are much better than Intel's, though. On the other hand, the core cpu is much stronger than the A57's.

Maybe but the point is that a switch game has to run with 157 gflops, the additional 236 flops of the docked mode are used to visually upgrade what the switch can handle with 157 gflops, the gpd win 2 on the other hand can handle games that require more than 157gflops.

If a game graphics can't be downgraded to run at the limit of 157gflops the game simply won't run on Switch, on the gpd win 2 the limit is 326/403.

Can the better Maxwell performance reduce the gap between 157 and 326/403? The gap seems too big to me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe but the point is that a switch game has to run with 157 gflops, the additional 236 flops of the docked mode are used to visually upgrade what the switch can handle with 157 gflops, the gpd win 2 on the other hand can handle games that require more than 157gflops.

If a game graphics can't be downgraded to run to the limit of 157gflops the game simply won't run on Switch, on the gpd win 2 the limit is 326/403.

Can the better Maxwell performance reduce the gap between 157 and 326/403? The gap seems too big to me.

They are several factors to consider too. Switch in handheld mode actually can reach close to 200Gflops (it got a boosted mode for handheld). And the GPU on the OG GPD Win is actually underclocked to 400Mhz from official Intel's 600~700Mhz spec.

Don't get me wrong. If they can fix all their rough edges, the GPD Win 2 will be a killer device. But If we start making comparisons with other Hardware we need to make them right.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
They are several factors to consider too. Switch in handheld mode actually can reach close to 200Gflops (it got a boosted mode for handheld). And the GPU on the OG GPD Win is actually underclocked to 400Mhz from official Intel's 600~700Mhz spec.

Don't get me wrong. If they can fix all their rough edges, the GPD Win 2 will be a killer device. But If we start making comparisons with other Hardware we need to make them right.

Obviously we need to wait the final specs, the gap can indeed be smaller but the principle remains.

Blackhead

Redarse

Thanks for sharing this. I know I'm in the minority here as I don't use the gpd win for gaming at all. My priorities are better keyboard and better screen (and maybe even a trackpad). Bigger better centered keyboard is good but I also want it to be backlit. I don't need a bigger screen but I do want a higher resolution. I'll probably still preorder anyway as there's nothing like it available elsewhere. The improved touch and pen keyboards in the Fall Windows update are the most likely factors to sway me to other devices but GPD Win is the best for now...

MUnited83

For you.
Thanks for sharing this. I know I'm in the minority here as I don't use the gpd win for gaming at all. My priorities are better keyboard and better screen (and maybe even a trackpad). Bigger better centered keyboard is good but I also want it to be backlit. I don't need a bigger screen but I do want a higher resolution. I'll probably still preorder anyway as there's nothing like it available elsewhere. The improved touch and pen keyboards in the Fall Windows update are the most likely factors to sway me to other devices but GPD Win is the best for now...

I'm curious, in this case why wouldn't you go for the Pocket instead?

Phawx

What type of cpu would this need to run Higen/BSNES accuracy?

Does a mobile chip exist yet?

Just did a test of Mega Man X on Higan 1.0.5. I remember there being balanced and performance cores, but it doesn't look like I have those options?

Is this the correct version I should be running?

In any event, MegaMan X runs at 60FPS on Higan 1.0.5 It beats up on the CPU something fierce (2.5Ghz~ dual core) and temps go pretty high on passive heat sink. But it was stable at 60FPS for awhile.

Is there a specific SNES game that is known to require a beefy CPU?

Jimrpg

Thank you for this! I decided to hold off on the GPD Win and save my monies for the GPD Win 2 seeing as its probably going to be expensive. Being able to open up more of the Steam library makes it seem like a better option in the long run and I'm busy enough at the moment as it is.

I'm wondering what the general consensus is for the indiegogo or early GPD Win, were the revisions down the line much better, or is it ok to go with the indiegogo version? As its a pretty expensive device, I don't want to get one with significant flaws, that I have to send back to get fixed. What were the issues with the first model of the GPD Win so I can make a better decision with the Win 2?

Gaardus

Just did a test of Mega Man X on Higan 1.0.5. I remember there being balanced and performance cores, but it doesn't look like I have those options?

Is this the correct version I should be running?
IIRC, Higan ditched the balanced and performance cores because they were extra work to maintain without offering something other emulators didn't already do.

Top Bottom