• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Here were my legenedary draws (bold is my selection)

Avallac'h / Imlerith / Madman Lugos
Caretaker / Drought / Milva
Woodland Spirit (Premium)
Triss Merigold
Caranthir
Cerys / Kayran / Xanthisius
Wild Board of the Sea / Cahir / Draugh
Menno Coehoorn / Birna Bran / Imlerith
Hjalmar / Xanthisius / Caretaker
Triss Merrigold / Xanthisius / Kayran
Rainfarn / Priscilla / Wild Boar of the Sea

That's it, only Northern Realms gold I got was freaking Priscilla.

You got 11 golds from 150 kegs? I got 6 from 135 :/ No premium gold either.

Haven't had time to actually play yet, but I'm probably going to roll an Axeman deck just to get pass the first few levels.

ZangBa

I have no idea what I'm doing, but I like it. I don't remember my 3 legendary choices, but I picked Drought. Reading some stuff online, it seems like I got lucky.

SRG01

What's the defense against a necro deck? I had someone completely roll over me by resurrecting half their graveyard against me, haha.

Feels like M:TG back during the Tempest days. :)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What's the defense against a necro deck? I had someone completely roll over me by resurrecting half their graveyard against me, haha.

Feels like M:TG back during the Tempest days. :)

lUiDovR.png
OhdPPNs.png

I played in the closed beta. Enjoyed it a played it for many hours (wasn't massively into it like I'm sure some people were!). I'm not enjoying the changes in Open Beta though, and this is a bit of a long post.

The text changes / keywords to cards have been confusing the hell out of me, and making this not as fun to play as the closed beta. The amount of times I've mistakenly played cards because I didn't understand a keyword completely is baffling.

I do think having a structured vocabulary is a good thing. It provides a much better framework for people to learn cards, and probably for the developers to create cards. I think they need to find some way to lessen the cognitive load with the new card text though. Before, card text was very descriptive. Read the description, and you know what it does. Now, you read the card text and every bold word I need to then cross-reference against the tool tip. It does not make Gwent as accessible as it used to be, so I'm hoping they can polish up both language and presentation (maybe iconography would help?). One thing which is still confusing me is Spawn vs Summon. One day I'll hammer that in my head...

There are other overall text issues which bug me. For example, there's a gold card (forgetting the name) which says "Draw 2 cards, then Discard 2 from your Hand". Simple enough. I play the card when I have 2 cards in my hand, so it shows me 4 cards after it draws 2 from the deck. The only text on the screen says "Choose 2". I chose the 2 I wanted, which obviously is not what that meant (I then lost the game because I kept two shit cards for my situation). Sure, it's small and I probably won't make that same mistake again, but this is just one quick example showing how they need to be simple and precise with their language.

The other thing is that they need to have the keyword tooltips show up everywhere, including when you are picking cards. Some of the cards have like 6 keywords or something, and there are very important subtle details in there that can be easily missed especially as I'm learning keywords.

One other problem I've encountered is that it can be very frustrating to think you understand a card, play it for its deploy effect, but then once the game tries to have you make a choice you can't do anything. For example, an archer card had text that said "Deploy - Deal 1 damage to 3 targets" or something like that. My opponent only had 2 enemies out, so I had to target one of my own allies. I wish I could have cancelled playing that card because the game in a way taught me what it did right then and there. Instead, I was just stuck with it. They should do it like Hearthstone does (from what I remember) where you can cancel cards which have targeting effects, until you've done all of its effects. In the above example, I would have played the card, selected 2 of the enemies, realize my only other option was to target my own and then I would have cancelled playing it.

Finally, and I guess I was a bit surprised by this, but there were a surprising amount of regressions in even simple things like properly showing the health of an enemy. I used decoy on a boosted enemy. The health text on the board was one number, the power it gave me was another, and when I zoomed in on the card there was a third number for the same card! I need to see if I can reproduce it and file a bug. Those sorts of core issues have popped up in my first 6 games.

I'll end it with positivity though! I LOVE how much more strategic things feel. Weather changes are neat. I have to relearn some of my strategies with the Monster deck (which is cool), but overall I think there is such depth to this that I was able to feel super smart figuring out card combos. As a somewhat casual player, maybe these types of combos existed before, so it was potentially the keywords making it more clear? Not sure.

Regardless, CDPR is totally heading in the right direction. I think this first release is a step in the right direction, and I'm going to be recommending it to my friends still. I can't wait to see how it changes throughout the beta and onto final release. I also hope they release their Win10 version soon (I've been playing on Xbox so really want the Play Anywhere functionality for my PC instead of having separate XBL and GOG accounts and progress).

frontovik

Banned
Sounds like a given, but I assume win/losses stats aren't recorded for casual matches?

Also, has anyone encountered disconnection/sync errors since the open beta went live? My first match was against an opponent who suddenly paused the game, and I ended up with a disconnection error and defeat which appeared fishy.

is Polish the primary language?

feels like a lot of the cards are more confusing due to the way they're worded

It's the way they had separated 'trigger' and 'effect' for everything. Some cards have an ability when deployed and then an extra thing. So that's already four terms to include (2 triggers, 2 effects). In some of the cards one of the triggers depend of another cards with a specific term, so then it's 5 terms to put.

This is good. It's really good.
I love letting opponents take a round and making them waste cards in the process.
It's a bit different but I still get that same satisfaction I got from TW3 Gwent. It's a lot more interesting going up against actual people.

JustinBB7

Sounds like a given, but I assume win/losses stats aren't recorded for casual matches?

Also, has anyone encountered disconnection/sync errors since the open beta went live? My first match was against an opponent who suddenly paused the game, and I ended up with a disconnection error and defeat which appeared fishy.

Casual matches no, ranked matches you can see on the leaderboard once you get there.
Though there is a decktracker program that allows you to track casual play, I'll add decktrackers to the OP at some point.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did everything reset from closed beta?

This is good. It's really good.
I love letting opponents take a round and making them waste cards in the process.
It's a bit different but I still get that same satisfaction I got from TW3 Gwent. It's a lot more interesting going up against actual people.

This is my Achilles heel right now. I throw everything at the first round.

Looks like I ought to start off with a Nilfgaard deck. Have Tibor, Vilgefortz and Avallac'h already and now that I've unlocked milling I've got just over 2000 scrap.

I really wanna try out new Cerys though. So many choices

hoggert

Really liking reveal so far. Nothing like dropping 20+ strength first turn with a combo of golems and footman. Running 28 cards at the moment, but actually thinking of dropping mangonels lol as I p much only use them to soak up hits and draw out removal specials.

hollomat

Banned
They need to do a better job of explaining to beginners that the cards that summon another card don't work if you don't have any more of the card you're trying to play in your deck. I've played quite a few card game and it still took me a few game to realize why the summon wasn't working.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They need to do a better job of explaining to beginners that the cards that summon another card don't work if you don't have any more of the card you're trying to play in your deck. I've played quite a few card game and it still took me a few game to realize why the summon wasn't working.

They honestly need to explain a BUNCH of things to newer players. I don't think anyone at CD Project Red got someone that has NEVER played the mini-game to sit down and try to learn it.

I jumped into the new Gwent for the first time today, and dang, they've really souped up gwent. There's so much more going on now, but that lovable gwent core is still untouched. Feels like a great evolution of the minigame in The Witcher 3, at least from my hour with it so far.

Biggest criticism is all of the loading, and kind of awkward menus. (e.g. "special" cards being in the collection with regular cards, cluttering up the whole thing. There should be a special card: ON/OFF button right there, rather than in filters.)

Now, serious question: what's the name of the troll that's everywhere in the menus? I'll name him Gwent the Troll if he lacks one. (It's totally a Troll name, you know!)

hollomat

Banned
They honestly need to explain a BUNCH of things to newer players. I don't think anyone at CD Project Red got someone that has NEVER played the mini-game to sit down and try to learn it.

Definitely. They need a tutorial that explains all the different effects and interactions (brave, etc.). The game is very off putting for a beginner.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Definitely. They need a tutorial that explains all the different effects and interactions (brave, etc.). The game is very off putting for a beginner.

Especially the factions. The starter tutorial gives you the gist of the game, but they don't show the weather effects or anything like that to where you're fumbling through and trying to understand the "starter" decks and failing. It's very off-putting and it's crazy to me (as someone that dropped the closed-beta for this very thing) that while they gave more flavor for a tutorial (I like how she berates you for rubbing it in), it doesn't actually explain anything. Maybe they're waiting for a campaign to do it like Phantom Dust where they introduce concepts a little at a time while you go through the campaign, but they shouldn't have launched an "open beta" like this, IMO.

Is there any way to see weather effects currently deployed? Because if not, there should be.

But, re: new player stuff, they basically need tooltips for everything (even when opening packs kegs and stuff), muuuch more information on the different faction decks, and advanced tutorials covering all angles of the game. Skills transfer pretty 1-to-1 between TW3 and Gwent, but there's no reason to assume everyone A) played TW3, or B) played a lot of gwent within TW3.

The advanced tactics, e.g. feinting a round to make an opponent waste their cards, for instance, should absolutely be covered in depth in a tutorial. The current tutorial's "you can end your turn when you have the upper hand" advice will no doubt throw a lot of inexperienced players to the wolves. And that's without getting into how much tactics can change when facing different factions.
Say hello to Shoop the Troll

Well that's even better!

There are mouseover explanations for all special effects on the cards while in-match, but a tutorial showcasing what each does and how best to offensive and defensively deal with it would be a good idea.

Also, some of the effects are confusingly worded, or ambigious in how they play out. They've gotta make it crystal clear.

Sorian

Banned
I know this isn't really stated in the game but I highly recommend going through all the challenges with the starter decks as mirror matches. You'll end up learning a lot more that way imo. The starter decks aren't good and that's kind of the point but they all are trying to teach you the core basics of the factions.

Also think of it as practice for the campaigns because I can promise you the campaigns are going to make you play through with some real trash tier decks.

Peroroncino

I would suggest turning on Witcher 3 Gwent music from the options menu, those tunes are way better imo than the default ones.

Started a couple of matches yesterday.
The game's ok.
Plenty of changes from the original gwent to the point that only the most basic rules still apply. It was kinda weird at first ... then i realised that the AI was quite good at it's job.
But damn those starter decks aren't that great IMO.. they are lacking in combo possibilities. i guess the point is that i upgrade them but still ...

IvorB

Got some usability concerns at the mo'. Seems like there is no way to see the tool tips for cards except during a match or am I missing something? When choosing cards to mulligan or from a keg I can't see that info so I am flying blind with all these terms. It's a bit annoying.

zelas

I know this isn't really stated in the game but I highly recommend going through all the challenges with the starter decks as mirror matches. You'll end up learning a lot more that way imo. The starter decks aren't good and that's kind of the point but they all are trying to teach you the core basics of the factions.

Also think of it as practice for the campaigns because I can promise you the campaigns are going to make you play through with some real trash tier decks.
I think I'll do this. Never played Gwent before and the tutorial seemed pretty lacking.

Interfectum

They added a lot more complexity to this game from the original which is cool but it feels less snappy. I'm guessing once we all get used to the terms the game will speed up and feel more fluid.

The UI needs some work IMO.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Confirmation: no more resets now aye?

Lucumo

Yep, not having played Witcher 3, a proper tutorial would be better.

Confirmation: no more resets now aye?

No resets planned at least.

Do you plan on wiping accounts in the future?

No further account progress wipes are planned, but — since GWENT is still in the beta stage of development — however unlikely, wipes are technically still possible. If we need to reset your beta progress, we will inform about that in advance.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/faq

Lockless

I'm loving it so far but there are a lot of card abilities that the explanation is very poorly worded. It will take some time to work or what they do.

The only other thing that is annoying is when tge opponent uses a card but it doesn't show up so I can see what's happening. There will be a flash, since our my cards will lose strength and then it will be my turn.

iz.podpolja

Neo Member
The only other thing that is annoying is when tge opponent uses a card but it doesn't show up so I can see what's happening. There will be a flash, since our my cards will lose strength and then it will be my turn.
I'd suggest to play with opened card history (there's a toggle on the bottom left).

There are other overall text issues which bug me. For example, there's a gold card (forgetting the name) which says "Draw 2 cards, then Discard 2 from your Hand". Simple enough. I play the card when I have 2 cards in my hand, so it shows me 4 cards after it draws 2 from the deck. The only text on the screen says "Choose 2". I chose the 2 I wanted, which obviously is not what that meant (I then lost the game because I kept two shit cards for my situation). Sure, it's small and I probably won't make that same mistake again, but this is just one quick example showing how they need to be simple and precise with their language.

This exact thing happened to me. I picked the exact two cards I wanted to keep and discarded them. It was just a challenge so I still snuck out a win but it was really confusing.

Well I wasted a bunch of scraps on a Cerys deck again. Can't help it, I find it too fun.

Gets completely wrekt by control as usual. I told myself I'd go for a control deck for a change but I couldn't do it.

Seeing as it only costs 200 scraps now, craft Ocvist for that sweet, sweet card advantage.

Top Bottom