• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Ultimadrago

I like how Ciri scolds Geralt for stacking cards after he's won the game (does that trolling have a nickname by now?) I remember going through that in Closed Beta. I'm sure people still do it now.

Gonna feel bad man.

Rocketz

I think I'm going to hop back in tonight. I played some of the alpha and enjoyed what I did play. I've never played The Witcher so I had to learn the game from scratch.

Gigageiger

Neo Member
I like how Ciri scolds Geralt for stacking cards after he's won the game (does that trolling have a nickname by now?) I remember going through that in Closed Beta. I'm sure people still do it now.

Gonna feel bad man.

Wait, I haven't really been following the beta. Ciri scolding Geralt? Is there story or cutscenes?

Ultimadrago

Wait, I haven't really been following the beta. Ciri scolding Geralt? Is there story or cutscenes?

Well, the Single-Player story isn't implemented yet to my knowledge. But for the new Tutorial there are small portraits voice-acted with who I'm sure are the cast from Witcher 3. She simply guides you through the steps and will say lines of dialogue responding to the actions. Nothing crazy, but a nice addition. I'm assuming they'll add upon it when Single-Player is released proper.

Lucumo

Has anyone a good template for a Nilfgaard deck? Finished the challenges and won 3/4 casual games so far. Still on the starter deck though, no idea in what direction to build.

(Also opened around 10 kegs but nothing but bronze cards...)

/edit: Caught my first bug. "Round ended in a tie" into "You won the round" which didn't go away and I was unable to play.

Nose Master

A loss should net half the xp of a win and a GG should give you a bonus and not the opponent.

Gg giving you a bonus would be pointless. Everyone would do it regardless of the game. I'd give an emote spamming overkilling turd a good for some sweet sweet scraps.

Edit: for nilf, I've just been spamming the same grave robber card and turning their strats against them. The first hero and one of the other gold's if you're nilf let you use the same card three times.

Using the leader power to grab dead cows is a nice way to catch people off guard, too.

FHIZ

Anyone have an idea of the timeline between this and the final release? I've been holding off on the various betas for months now so I don't burn out before the actual game is released.

Lucumo

Does anyone know why cow carcass doesn't work when the opponent is passing his turn and that's the last one of the round? Is that intended? Because it works against the card's description.

Does anyone know why cow carcass doesn't work when the opponent is passing his turn and that's the last one of the round? Is that intended? Because it works against the card's description.

If the second player passes his turn, the round ends immediately without end of turn effects kicking in. Now that I think about it, that does seem counter intuitive, but I do believe that it's intended: it's how you play around cards like cow carcass.

After opening my closed beta keg rewards and considering my card selection I decided to run a Bran Cerys/Queensguard deck. Seems kinda weak honestly: the most you can get out of Cerys is to be able to res her all 3 rounds, and that's just a 7+7+7 = 21 power contribution at best (7 if you discard Cerys with Bran). 2 notable buffs to the archetype are 1. weather no longer instantly wiping out all your strength on melee row, and 2. Doomed is "banish when destroyed", not perma death, which means you can do things like discard a Priestess of Freya to Ermion, then res a Priestess with a Priestess, and have them count towards Cerys' res counter.

SK golds seem like they're all kinda trash :/

SRG01

I would suggest turning on Witcher 3 Gwent music from the options menu, those tunes are way better imo than the default ones.

I turned this on, but still no Witcher 3 music. Does W3 have to be installed separately?

If the second player passes his turn, the round ends immediately without end of turn effects kicking in. Now that I think about it, that does seem counter intuitive, but I do believe that it's intended: it's how you play around cards like cow carcass.

After opening my closed beta keg rewards and considering my card selection I decided to run a Bran Cerys/Queensguard deck. Seems kinda weak honestly: the most you can get out of Cerys is to be able to res her all 3 rounds, and that's just a 7+7+7 = 21 power contribution at best (7 if you discard Cerys with Bran). 2 notable buffs to the archetype are 1. weather no longer instantly wiping out all your strength on melee row, and 2. Doomed is "banish when destroyed", not perma death, which means you can do things like discard a Priestess of Freya to Ermion, then res a Priestess with a Priestess, and have them count towards Cerys' res counter.

SK golds seem like they're all kinda trash :/

I played against a Queensguard necro deck last night which used an incredible amount of discard specials. It only took 4-5 rounds to flip five Queensguards onto the table. It of course relied on Bran, but it was the specials that really drilled through his deck.

Hoodbury

Still a fun card game to play, but man did they make things a lot more confusing than what it was in TW3 game. Figuring out what the descriptions of the abilities are to even creating your decks are now hard to figure out.

This is after only an hour and a half of playtime so maybe things will get better the more I play. But coming from TW3 this was confusing.

Still a fun card game to play, but man did they make things a lot more confusing than what it was in TW3 game. Figuring out what the descriptions of the abilities are to even creating your decks are now hard to figure out.

This is after only an hour and a half of playtime so maybe things will get better the more I play. But coming from TW3 this was confusing.
Yea gwent in TW3 was a mini game......

I'm trying to do a beginner Nilfgaardian deck. I only played 2-3 hours in the first weeks at the start of the closed beta, way before important changes, several months ago, so I'm basically a noob.

What I have:

jP8RzLd.jpg
JeebbmO.png

and from the neutrals:

Any possible decent deck?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Spy/Reveal hybrid?

Emhyr/Morvran

Rot Tosser x2
Ambassador x2
Emissary x2
Vicovaro Medic x2
Alchemist x3
Daerlan Foot Soldier x3
First Light x2
Alvruz's Thunder

Peter Saan Gwynleve
Decoy
Cleaver
Scorch

Vattier
Cahir
Yennefer
Triss

Lucumo

By the way, is there any way to stop the Ragh Nar Roog bs? Hate playing against these players (always Pioneers, so I guess closed beta testers?). It's an insta loss, always, especially since I'm still only with my starter deck.

Haly

First Light

I always keep 2 in my decks just for RNR/Drought.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Opponent forfeited, I got a GG, but I'm still in the match and the game is stuck at 0 seconds left for a turn.

I had that happen at the start of the closed beta. Why isn't that fixed?

btw: Morkvarg, Olgierd, Queensguard and Cerys after the first turn of the third round. I love this.

Is it not possible to play a private match with a friend yet? I've been trying to invite my friend but the game always throws me in a match with a rando,

Lucumo

First Light

I always keep 2 in my decks just for RNR/Drought.

Only that? Meh. I think I have only one, need to check it later.

Had a fun game of throwing a cow carcass back and forth earlier...until the other guy eventually locked it down at 7 power, lame.

Haly

PSA: Virhadd Brigade's tooltip is entirely incomplete. It clears weather on its row, and also moves another creature.

JustinBB7

Got Ves in a keg, and updated my NR deck with some changes alongside it, get like 45 points in 2 cards. Not bad!

Xbox One, but I think it's not possible.

Gotta say I'm disappointed. Was really looking forward to playing with my cousin. Hopefully we won't have to wait until the final release for this feature.

Don't think friend matches are possible on Xbox atm no. Not sure when they will be there.

Aomber

Really enjoying this so far, loved Gwent in Witcher 3 so I feel right at home here

Only complaint I have on the tech end of things is that resolution is max 1080p. I got the 4k textures but that doesn't seem to change anything for the range of resolutions available.

Wagram

So from closed beta and the challenges i'm up to 52 packs. I bought 40 packs (92 now) to support the game due to the massive amount of time i've already sunk into a great free to play game. I'll buy the campaigns when they come out, but $60 was my limit.

Notable cards:

Fake Ciri
Johnny
Ocvist
Vanhemar
Morkvarg
Premium Blue Stripes Commando x 2
Premium Wyvern x 2
Restore
Thaler
Avallac'h (Gold)
Dandelion (Gold)
Keira Metz (Gold)
Premium Thunderbolt
Ciri (Gold)
King of Beggars
Premium Arachas
Premium Daerlan Foot Soldiers
Geralt: Igni (Gold)
Premium Dun Banner Light Cavalry
Assassination (Gold)
Nature's Gift
Premium Nauzicaa Standard Bearer
Botchling
Lubberkin
Sweers
Merigold's Hailstorm
Dethmold
Premium Kaedweni Sergeant
Succubus (Gold)
Aeromancy

Hilariously, the ones I bought gave me pretty much nothing. However, I would say this is a decent haul overall.

monsters, monsters, monsters, monsters, monsters, yawn

any tips? I keep running into the same shit.

I can't develop a board cause of their fucking 1 million frosts.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The Dagon Monster spam challenge suuuuucks.

All the challenges suck. Speaking as a new player. I've only had some success playing Mirror Matches and only then I've beaten like 3 of the challenges. :/

Lucumo

Is there an up to date wiki somewhere with all the stuff in it? Haven't found anything.

All the challenges suck. Speaking as a new player. I've only had some success playing Mirror Matches and only then I've beaten like 3 of the challenges. :/
Completely new as well but beaten them all in mirror matches with the starter decks. Skellige and Monsters are annoying though.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Hmm? I've only gotten 1 extra barrel from the closed beta didn't play it much and I'm about half way done with the challenges now. Have you been crafting the stronger bronze cards to give you a good early boost?

For example, if you play nilfgaard, http://gwentify.com/cards/nilfgaardian-knight/ is a solid first crafting choice.

Lucumo

Hmm? I've only gotten 1 extra barrel from the closed beta didn't play it much and I'm about half way done with the challenges now. Have you been crafting the stronger bronze cards to give you a good early boost?

A fair question though: What are the "stronger bronze cards"?

JustinBB7

Got Gigni from a random keg! Was about to finally mill all my spares and craft him. Haven't milled anything since I started just to get a high number, but now I can think of some other stuff to craft.

Is there an up to date wiki somewhere with all the stuff in it? Haven't found anything.

Completely new as well but beaten them all in mirror matches with the starter decks. Skellige and monsters are annoying though.

gwentdb.com is updated I believe with all new cards

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
A fair question though: What are the "stronger bronze cards"?

Anything with a high damage value, or very potent effect. When you first start your first goal shouldn't be trying to do combos and stuff with cards right out the gate. Obviously some fractions are pretty combo based so keep things simple at first with them go for high value vs long term.

Once you have more cards to melt, and just a bigger library in general from buying barrels you can work towards a solid deck that has a true combo structure and purpose

Lucumo

Anything with a high damage value, or very potent effect. When you first start your first goal shouldn't be trying to do combos and stuff with cards right out the gate.
Hm, it has been working pretty well so far. Unless I run into CB players, I usually win or barely lose at least.

Once you have more cards to melt, and just a bigger library in general from buying barrels you can work towards a solid deck that has a true combo structure and purpose
That's still a long way off.

gwentdb.com is updated I believe with all new cards
Gwentify has some good card information and deck setups if that's what you're looking for.

http://gwentify.com/

Gwentdb is another alternative.

http://www.gwentdb.com/
Gwentify looks rather interesting. Have to check out the db at a later point.

IvorB

Think I'm about halfway through the challenges. These starter decks are not very inspiring. The best I've found so far is the Northern Realms one but when I try to tweak it I just don't have a lot of card options right now. I seem to recall having more cards available in the technical beta but maybe I'm misremembering. Not really feeling confident to go online with what I have.

ZangBa

I only have 2 challenges left as a completely new player, I didn't even play Gwent in The Witcher 3 because I hated the game. I have no idea what I am doing but they all have been pretty easy so far, it's pretty fun. I played some casual matches and drought feels so dirty lol.

Cerys + Queensguard is pretty weak. Especially Cerys. She's pretty much a gold Roach now with a condition attached. It wouldn't be so bad if her timer was 3 so she would come back with the set of Queensguard but you also need another revive on top. Morkvarg could cover that but they nerfed him to lose 3 strength per turn so if discard to play him round 1 he's dead by round 3.

There are much more devastating combos that provide better tempo. All the while you're susceptible to having your graveyard messed with. With the numerous hard counters that exist you'd think this deck would be bullshit powerful but it's not.

Don't bother with Cerys.

Top Bottom