• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Hystzen

Hmm? I've only gotten 1 extra barrel from the closed beta didn't play it much and I'm about half way done with the challenges now. Have you been crafting the stronger bronze cards to give you a good early boost?

For example, if you play nilfgaard, http://gwentify.com/cards/nilfgaardian-knight/ is a solid first crafting choice.

Nilfgaard knight summoned with Alzur's Double–Cross then buffed with Emissary never fails to make my opponent rage quit in last rounds

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Had a very intense online match yesterday with sick combos on both sides, then it ended with a draw on 3rd match.. They should add something for draw situations, it didn't feel right at all

TheKeyPit

Banned
You can play the deck still but Cerys isn't as necessary as the centerpiece anymore. I'm playing it since I blew all my scraps I'm kind of underwhelmed by Queenie in her current form
She's just an additional option that can spawn mostly in rounds 2 and 3 without much effort.

Åesop;238130217 said:
Had a very intense online match yesterday with sick combos on both sides, then it ended with a draw on 3rd match.. They should add something for draw situations, it didn't feel right at all
A draw nets both players a winning round, right?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Right, that just meant you both are awarded for winning.

That didn't feel like a satisfying way to end our intense match.. "hey, you both won! congratulations!" sounds more like we both lost, but maybe thats just me.

IvorB

Can anyone tell me is deploy effects should repeat after I call a card back into my hand and replay it? I was trying this yesterday and it didn’t work when it should do. I feel like the devs need to perfect the art of explaining explicitly what the card does in a way that removes all doubt. Because right now it’s not always clear in the way that it is in Magic (in my experience).

Sande

Wait, did I understand correctly that you can't have the same collection/account on PC and PS4? So basically I have to choose one now and never look back?

Noaloha

Can anyone tell me is deploy effects should repeat after I call a card back into my hand and replay it? I was trying this yesterday and it didn't work when it should do. I feel like the devs need to perfect the art of explaining explicitly what the card does in a way that removes all doubt. Because right now it's not always clear in the way that it is in Magic (in my experience).

I'm just learning the game myself and I had a similar spot of confusion with Deploy effects not triggering when I expected them to.

What I realised is that the Deploy effect was a Summon; the Deploy didn't trigger because there weren't any valid cards left for the Summon to find. Do you recall the specific card that you had a problem with? Could it have been something like that?

As far as I've seen, Deploys do retrigger when the same card is brought off and back to the table.

Oh wow. Apparently Savage Bear only effects enemies now. Thought it'd kill my priestesses so I never touched it. Really helps protect against Vicovaro medics and in the mirror match.

Played a dude and we both duped 2 extra Queensguard with Operator and he buffed the flying fuck out of them with Draig. Round 2 he could only res once with Sig with her 3 strength then he was completely boned. Ended up with the 2-0.

IvorB

I'm just learning the game myself and I had a similar spot of confusion with Deploy effects not triggering when I expected them to.

What I realised is that the Deploy effect was a Summon; the Deploy didn't trigger because there weren't any valid cards left for the Summon to find. Do you recall the specific card that you had a problem with? Could it have been something like that?

As far as I've seen, Deploys do retrigger when the same card is brought off and back to the table.

Hmmm… don’t remember exactly but I think it was the card which should create a copy of a bronze ally and I definitely had a suitable card on the board. I used the card to withdraw, strengthen and re-play but nothing happened. Would be good to know it at least is supposed to work in theory.

Sorian

Banned
Hmmm… don’t remember exactly but I think it was the card which should create a copy of a bronze ally and I definitely had a suitable card on the board. I used the card to withdraw, strengthen and re-play but nothing happened. Would be good to know it at least is supposed to work in theory.

It was supposed to work in theory, yes.

What probably happened is a confusion on the terms "Spawn" and "Summon." Spawn creates a card out of thin air, Summon pulls an existing card from your deck. If you have no applicable card in your deck then summon does nothing.

sonicmj1

After playing for a few weeks at the start of the closed beta, I came back to the game with the open launch. It's come a really long way. Beyond all the nice quality of life improvements, the changes they've made to the rules (balancing leader powers by making them gold cards, mulligans on turns 2 and 3) a lot of the cards (like weather) have the game feeling much fairer, and less arbitrary and swingy. Effects are less likely to instantly create blowouts and there are more ways to play around randomness, which means that everyone has more time to play through their strategies, and play around what their opponents have.

I've got a Nilfgaard reveal-based deck that still could use a few more cards, and I could see myself sticking with this a while longer than before.

Exentryk

Was just looking at the NR cards, and they're like completely different?! Damn, I'm going to have to go through each faction and see if I should start with something else now, coz NR doesn't seem that hot.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
NR was overhauled.

It's okay right now but definitely not as strong as it was in CB (and it wasn't that strong anyway).

Monsters were also kind of gutted.
SK is intact.
NG is intact but just better than before.
ST is in a weird place right now but dorfs are good.

Exentryk

Yeah, there have been way too many changes since. Need to spend some time looking it all over before committing. Thanks for the summary btw.

Found a bug with Field Medics and Blue Stripes Commandos.

The BSC ability is that when different Bronze unit of the same strength is played, it should summon a BSC out of the deck. The Field Medic is a 3 strength card, so if you play a Field Medic, it'll spawn a BSC. But the Field Medic's ability is that when you play it, you select another Bronze ally, shuffle it back in the deck, and play summon another random Bronze out of the deck.

So, I set up a test, the only bronze units in the deck were three BSC and one Field Medic. At the start of the game, played a BSC on the melee row. Second turn play the Medic and target the BSC. What should happen is the first BSC gets shuffled back into the deck and a random bronze (in this case another BSC) gets played. Then, a second BSC should be summoned per its 3 strength matching with the Medic. What is happening instead, is the BSC that gets randomly drawn by the Medic is then triggering its own ability after it was already played, and moving from the row you chose to the siege row.

Jyz9tiw.gif

RiggyRob

Is there a way to access the interactive tutorial again? Accidentally closed it and now I can't find the option to do it again.

i just had another random thought... agile units used to be awesome, and its because weather doesn't hit both sides that agile units are now super unimpressive

Didn't they make it so you couldn't chain revives? I still see it against with the Priestess of Freya. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the change to the Field Medic yet.

Haly

Didn't they make it so you couldn't chain revives? I still see it against with the Priestess of Freya. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the change to the Field Medic yet.
There's still a revive chain in NG but NR lost theirs yes.

They removed a lot of chains from the game.

There's still a revive chain in NG but NR lost theirs yes.

They removed a lot of chains from the game.

Well NR lost all their revives outside of Shani. But they got rid of "Permadeath." So you can get Priestess revive chains again. But at this point they're only 1 strength and with no more faction passives its not really a big deal.

edit - And yeah, in a NG mirror you can revive each others Vicovaro Medics.

hollomat

Banned
The level of interaction the devs of this game have with the community is fantastic. If anyone has a suggestion about the game, I'd urge you to post it to the Gwent Reddit. The devs are actively monitoring there.

JustinBB7

The level of interaction the devs of this game have with the community is fantastic. If anyone has a suggestion about the game, I'd urge you to post it to the Gwent Reddit. The devs are actively monitoring there.

They're also active in the Gwent discord.

Now that I don' t have access to 8 months worth of cards collected, I miss the ability to create whatever deck I want. :( If they didn't make the large amount of changes between closed and open beta I'd have been super comfortable just buying another bunch of kegs to populate my card collection again, but I'm still not sure I like the changes yet.

Now that I don' t have access to 8 months worth of cards collected, I miss the ability to create whatever deck I want. :( If they didn't make the large amount of changes between closed and open beta I'd have been super comfortable just buying another bunch of kegs to populate my card collection again, but I'm still not sure I like the changes yet.

I'm liking it so far, though that may largely be a case because I'm still only level 6 and in casual, so all the wins are coming relatively fast and easy because of closed beta experience.

I'd say my biggest concern with the changes so far is that I'm really not interested in what the opponent is doing outside of their score. I don't feel like there's an instance where I really need to kill or lock a card to shut down a combo, or take extra steps to protect my cards. My play is almost entirely based the tempo of the match.

Åesop;238132998 said:
That didn't feel like a satisfying way to end our intense match.. "hey, you both won! congratulations!" sounds more like we both lost, but maybe thats just me.

It's a fairly rare occurrence, there is total tie in maybe 1 in 25 matches. Imo, no need to introduce new rules just for that occasion.

SRG01

NR was overhauled.

It's okay right now but definitely not as strong as it was in CB (and it wasn't that strong anyway).

Monsters were also kind of gutted.
SK is intact.
NG is intact but just better than before.
ST is in a weird place right now but dorfs are good.

My first ST deck was with dwarves but it was simply too slow to get going compared to the other colors. Most of the cards are small boosts, which doesn't translate to much of a card advantage against your opponent.

If ST had a mechanic to consistently return cards to your hand to replay them, then it would make dwarves and elves a lot more playable.

Haly

My first ST deck was with dwarves but it was simply too slow to get going compared to the other colors. Most of the cards are small boosts, which doesn't translate to much of a card advantage against your opponent.

If ST had a mechanic to consistently return cards to your hand to replay them, then it would make dwarves and elves a lot more playable.

Take a look at this to see how you should be playing dorfs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40zwmhesTx4

You won't have some of these cards but the principle is the same.

AndersK

I'm bumping around a very basic Skellige discard deck in casual, my first few games against people. Got 3 war longboats eaarly so i thought why not?
Its great to play a discard deck where you actually get a say in the discards. I'm looking at you, Hearthstone.

rewards still seem very generous, i'm almost always unlocking something so thats great. The challenges were quite tough at times. I only played mirror matches to learn the factions.

Haly

Yeah that deck was very similar to my first build. The gold and silver cards really make the deck as it helps to accelerate it. But without the accelerators, would it work that well?

I think you get one of those silvers at the start? But yeah if you're missing Yarpen and Barclay it loses a lot of steam. For you and any other new players here I wouldn't get too hung up on golds. Silvers and Bronzes are usually the backbone of a deck. Gold is just what pushes them over the top.

JustinBB7

Yea I miss my full collection a lot.

Ooh, link please

https://discord.gg/EETa9tm

FeD.nL

Built a Queens Guard deck. Really enjoying the game at the moment. The animated cards are stunning. Really enjoy how the games flow.

SRG01

I think you get one of those silvers at the start? But yeah if you're missing Yarpen and Barclay it loses a lot of steam. For you and any other new players here I wouldn't get too hung up on golds. Silvers and Bronzes are usually the backbone of a deck. Gold is just what pushes them over the top.

Just like MTG, haha.

As much as I want better green cards, there probably isn't a better way to accelerate the deck without unbalancing ST. Dwarves trade slowness for beefier guys, elves trade beef for deployment speed. Gold/silvers help accelerate in either case.

Peroroncino

And this kids, is why you should always wait for the round to finish before forfeiting like a dumbass. Guy or gal literally walked away from a draw.

I ended up doing a Nilf deck based 1/3 on Revealing and 2/3 on buffing + resilience. It's pretty gimmicky as it can be defeated with a single Scorch or lock, but at low levels it's good enough. Right now I'm winning more than losing.

The revealing part: 2 Alchemists, 3 Daerlan soldiers, Operator (which will duplicate a Daerlan or an Alchemist, depending of what I need), Vattier, 3 Knights (which usually also is the target of the buffing part). I found that I have enough revealing with that, I don't need Morvran.
The buff part: the mentioned knights, Ambassors to buff, Emissaries to thin, Vicovaro novices to more thinning and buffing, Vicovaro medics to recover some of the spies and repeat the same or to take important enemy units, 2 combat engineers to give resilience, Decoy & Cahir & Emhir to repeat some of the deploy effects.
Also Aeromancy + White Frost combo, weather can't be ignored.

I still don't have spotters, mangonels or fire scorpions to do a pure reveal deck.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Using the Skellige Starter Deck seems to be the way to go for beating the challenges as a new player.

Mulilgan out the Clear Sky and whatever monster card. Maybe mulligan the "get a card back from the Graveyard" 1 STR one. Mulligan a dupe if needed. Keep Geralt, Triss, and whatever that draw-2-lose-2 gold card is.

Rinse repeat for big damage. Seems to be the most straight forward starter-deck faction than the others.

Top Bottom