• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

I love the game but it takes me like 10 tries to log in and then I get disconnected again after every game. And my internet works perfectly fine. God this is frustrating.

HotHamBoy

I'm really into this. They did a fantastic job. Really digging the new mechanics and the animated cards, the art is fantastic. Some of the key artists are on ArtStation.com if you want to check it out.

https://www.artstation.com/artist/gawel

bartlomiej-gawel-vesemir.jpg

bartlomiej-gawel-ekkima.jpg

bartlomiej-gawel-chort.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artist/akreon

anna-podedworna-ciri1.jpg

anna-podedworna-ida01.jpg

anna-podedworna-yennefer2.jpg

One thing I'd like is a text rulebook/golossary. It's a little annoying as a newcomer to have to go through the collection and find cards with the keywords you want defined.

Lucumo

Started playing ranked now, as rank 4 (just below 5). Won only 2 matches so far, lost 4. Everyone so far has been a "keg whore". It's funny seeing them forfeiting and not saying "GG" when they lose to my pretty much starter deck. Still haven't ranked up, despite needing only so little in the beginning.

JustinBB7

Seems a lot of people really waited for open beta. This thread is more active and it's growing fast on twitch as well. Forsen playing it on a daily basis now so that helps a lot.

HotHamBoy

Started playing ranked now, as rank 4 (just below 5). Won only 2 matches so far, lost 4. Everyone so far has been a "keg whore". It's funny seeing them forfeiting and not saying "GG" when they lose to my pretty much starter deck. Still haven't ranked up, despite needing only so little in the beginning.

What does keg whore mean? They bought a bunch of kegs and still suck?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think it only activates if you're still trailing in points after you summon him.

So if you're down by more than 10 points I think?

Correct.

"Brave – Trigger this ability if your opponent is winning the current round"

I usually try not to humiliate my opponent but do you get extra XP for higher scores?

I'm currently playing with a Monsters deck based around the Wild Hunt, pretty basic yet fun.

Wagram

I usually try not to humiliate my opponent but do you get extra XP for higher scores?

I'm currently playing with a Monsters deck based around the Wild Hunt, pretty basic yet fun.

No. It's bad form to play after you know you've won. People usually will lose GG over it.

Seriously fuck weather attrition decks, it's making the game so fucking bad right now.

screw it, I'm gonna make one and spam frosts.

Peroroncino

There's a pretty kickass Gwent theme for the PS4, sound effects, music and good art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y85A2LvV31A

It's for free of course.

Seriously fuck weather attrition decks, it's making the game so fucking bad right now.

Just played against one, luckily I drew 2 clear skies and baited him in the first round to use all of his weather cards along with character skill against some weaklings I mulligan'ed, the rest was a breeze.

i had looked at the daily rewards chart and i thought to myself 'who the fuck is going to play and win a total of 66 rounds in one day to get the 50 dust'

but now im at 54 rounds won for the day. and the day is about to reset. asodfhijasdfbiasdbdf

Bought 17 more kegs and then finally milled: (this is after the original 108 kegs + tutorial kegs and playing till now kegs)

347 spare cards
332 commons, 13 rares, 1 epic, 1 legendary
gaining 2110 scraps

Then made premium Ves and G:Igni and worked on my trio deck, it's so fun to play.

Deck I made:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18747-ves-trio
http://gwentify.com/decks/ves-trio/

Super weak to scorch/Gigni but not seeing them as much atm.

I don't think Ves is particularly worth it. Roach is one less strength, but easier to get out and plays out of the graveyard. Ves only works from the deck.

This is what I've been playing with so far. Its crushing Casual, but who knows what will happen when I get into Ranked.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18763-hunter-deck

Same idea opening with Operator -> Reaver Hunter, but I also have Alzur's and Reinforcement to make it easier to get him out first turn, then if you're lucky use Summoning Circle to play a copy of the Reaver Hunter that you gave your opponent. Also, Alzur's and Reinforcement can be used to grab Nenneke in later rounds. The Field Medics can be used to clear out traps/spies/Rot Tossers, or if set up properly you can just recycle the Hunters and reproc their Trio ability.

What I need to work on is the Golds and bronze specials. Sile is a pretty nice card to have, but then obviously you need bronze specials to work with. And Gold is just limited by what I got. Crafted Dandelion and Shani, might go with Keira next. Fortunately, I don't think Avallac'h has burned me yet. As long as I keep winning in casual I'm not afraid of letting my opponent draw more cards.

Lucumo

What does keg whore mean? They bought a bunch of kegs and still suck?

Buying tons of kegs and then talking trash while the other guy has the clearly inferior deck.

Also, screw work (got home too late). I just finished 1 minute (or maybe it was exactly reset time) late to get my 50 meteorite powder...

/edit: Position 4444 with 666 ranking points, level 11, 11 defeats and 1 draw (8 wins).

Peroroncino

i had looked at the daily rewards chart and i thought to myself 'who the fuck is going to play and win a total of 66 rounds in one day to get the 50 dust'

but now im at 54 rounds won for the day. and the day is about to reset. asodfhijasdfbiasdbdf

It actually goes pretty fast since every round counts, no matter if you win, lose or draw.

btw. does meteorite powder spawn the card out of thin air to your collection, or do you need something first? Didn't read up on it, was way too busy playing.

It actually goes pretty fast since every round counts, no matter if you win, lose or draw.

btw. does meteorite powder spawn the card out of thin air to your collection, or do you need something first? Didn't read up on it, was way too busy playing.

It destroys the non-premium one

Sorian

Banned
I don't think Ves is particularly worth it. Roach is one less strength, but easier to get out and plays out of the graveyard. Ves only works from the deck.

This is what I've been playing with so far. Its crushing Casual, but who knows what will happen when I get into Ranked.

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18763-hunter-deck

Same idea opening with Operator -> Reaver Hunter, but I also have Alzur's and Reinforcement to make it easier to get him out first turn, then if you're lucky use Summoning Circle to play a copy of the Reaver Hunter that you gave your opponent. Also, Alzur's and Reinforcement can be used to grab Nenneke in later rounds. The Field Medics can be used to clear out traps/spies/Rot Tossers, or if set up properly you can just recycle the Hunters and reproc their Trio ability.

What I need to work on is the Golds and bronze specials. Sile is a pretty nice card to have, but then obviously you need bronze specials to work with. And Gold is just limited by what I got. Crafted Dandelion and Shani, might go with Keira next. Fortunately, I don't think Avallac'h has burned me yet. As long as I keep winning in casual I'm not afraid of letting my opponent draw more cards.

Roach doesn't play from the graveyard anymore.

hollomat

Banned
Seems a lot of people really waited for open beta. This thread is more active and it's growing fast on twitch as well. Forsen playing it on a daily basis now so that helps a lot.

No wipe makes a huge difference. I played enough during closed beta to get to rank 3, but now that I know my progress won't get wiped I'm ready to really dive in.

Wagram

I was playing Gwent and FFXIV at the same time. I tabbed to XIV while in the collection screen and spent 1800 scraps while inputting actions in XIV. Nice....

At least I have a premium Higher Regis now. lol

Complistic

No wipe makes a huge difference. I played enough during closed beta to get to rank 3, but now that I know my progress won't get wiped I'm ready to really dive in.

Yup, I was waiting for the wipes to be done with. This game is fantastic. Don't want to start a thing here, but hearthstone just wasn't doing it for me anymore. This game feels like it's got some meat to it.

Have they said what sort of schedule they're gonna have for expansions?

Sorian

Banned
Yup, I was waiting for the wipes to be done with. This game is fantastic. Don't want to start a thing here, but hearthstone just wasn't doing it for me anymore. This game feels like it's got some meat to it.

Have they said what sort of schedule they're gonna have for expansions?

20 cards at the start of each new season at least and each season is planned to be on a schedule of 2 months.

frontovik

Banned
Any thoughts on factions doing very well currently? from my perspective ...

Scoia'tel - powerful ambush/mulligan combos
Nilfgaard - Voorhis reveal & Emhyr control
Monsters - Dagon/Eredin weather control
Skellige - warcry Crach & Harald control.
Northern Realms - eh...?

I'm currently doing very well with a Scoia'tel mulligan deck .. even though I will always have a soft spot for Nilfgaard reveal/control. I want to get into Northern Realms .. but they're still somewhat lacking currently.

Can't get into Monsters or Skellige as they seem like one trick ponies, especially monsters.

Wagram

Northern Realms - eh...?

I'm currently doing very well with a Scoia'tel mulligan deck .. even though I will always have a soft spot for Nilfgaard reveal/control. I want to get into Northern Realms .. but they're still somewhat lacking currently. Can't get into Monsters or Skellige as they seem like one trick ponies, especially monsters.

I'm doing quite well with Northern Realms. I really like the army, comradely like perspective of it. Played Skellige all of beta so changed it up.

frontovik

Banned
20 cards at the start of each new season at least and each season is planned to be on a schedule of 2 months.

That's quite ambitious. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store. Do you have a source for that though? I'm curious.

also, can we get a friends list going? would like to play with fellow GAFers.

Northern Realms - eh...?

I'm currently doing very well with a Scoia'tel mulligan deck .. even though I will always have a soft spot for Nilfgaard reveal/control. I want to get into Northern Realms .. but they're still somewhat lacking currently.

Can't get into Monsters or Skellige as they seem like one trick ponies, especially monsters.

I'm really enjoying my current Northern Realms deck. I think people just have to build up collections and figure out all the new mechanics. I haven't even begun to look into the whole Machine/Crew thing. But my Hunter cycling deck seems to be a lot of fun, though Regis: Higher Vampire can really mess with it. That said, Northern Realms and Skellige are the least common I've seen overall.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
opened draug. hes just a slightly worse triss? would anyone ever want to run both?

I run both because I'm gold poor. And also it's a 14 point swing vs Triss' 12, and he doesn't overshoot. The big downside is if they have a large field he hits a lot of stuff once.

Sorian

Banned
That's quite ambitious. Looking forward to seeing what they have in store. Do you have a source for that though? I'm curious.

also, can we get a friends list going? would like to play with fellow GAFers.

Last time they spoke on the matter was at a chinese press event last december:

http://www.gwentdb.com/news/37-china-press-meeting-new-info-about-the-future-of

I don't think they will be doing much in the way of official expansions for a long while. They will instead get that type of revenue from the story modes they have planned. It's my understanding that they have a "tutorial" story mode (that may be free? That's heresay from awhile back from a dev in the gwent discord) and then more full length story modes for each faction so that's 6 big releases total before they even have to worry about a more typical expansion.

Bought 17 more kegs and then finally milled: (this is after the original 108 kegs + tutorial kegs and playing till now kegs)

347 spare cards
332 commons, 13 rares, 1 epic, 1 legendary
gaining 2110 scraps

Then made premium Ves and G:Igni and worked on my trio deck, it's so fun to play.

Deck I made:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/18747-ves-trio
http://gwentify.com/decks/ves-trio/

Super weak to scorch/Gigni but not seeing them as much atm.

I want to mess around with this deck but I'm missing Ciri. Don't want to craft her cause I know she is unlocked at 16 right?

What's the highest rarity card you can get from dailies if you get the card bonus at 2 round wins? I've gotten a rare before but can you get an epic or legendary?

Mardroeme having the ability to reset a units power is ridiculous.

I literally have never seen anyone else play that card but me and I have no idea why. The worst case is a 3 power card, but with the reset you have tons of options of nearly nuking a buffed unit, or at the very least restoring a weakened unit.

Top Bottom