• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Hoodbury

Having fun but man it keeps freezing on me at the end game results screen. Happened 6 times last night. One time was an actual error that Playstation recognized and let me submit, but the 6 were just the game froze and couldn't get out of the results screen.

Yeah, he's one of the only silvers i've drawn from kegs, so i can't really complain about have much choice.

In other news, vs Nilf is fun when they get hold of all 3 vidivaro medics. They're not only stealing my queenbaes, i spent at lot of time doting on them first! Scumbags.

Savage bear stops them entirely

Play one bear round 1 and the following round where you go first. If you go second you'll just have to kiss one goodbye but that's worst case scenario and not a huge deal really.

ZangBa

I hope Drought isn't nerfed just because my scrubby ass isn't going to win games without it lol. Weather is my favorite mechanic in this game.

xNiallC

Plan is 20 new cards every 2 months, which is also when ranked season will reset.

Also full blown actual single player mode coming. (as in walking around as characters, not just playing cards)

Walking round with characters? Where was this stated? Seems highly unlikely.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yeah, he's one of the only silvers i've drawn from kegs, so i can't really complain about have much choice.

In other news, vs Nilf is fun when they get hold of all 3 vidivaro medics. They're not only stealing my queenbaes, i spent at lot of time doting on them first! Scumbags.
Exact same thing happened to me today.

+I got wrecked by the same Scoia deck again...

Oynox

I'd love to start playing as well, but I do not know on which platform haha

Basically I would like to play on Xbox and PC thus the UWP version would be appropriate of course but then I could only play on Xbox right now which is a bummer. Furthermore, playing on PC (GOG) you will have the biggest player base since you may use cross plattform play to battle against both Xbox and PS players. Development guidelines forbid cross play between UWP and PS4 of course :(

Eric WK

I'd love to start playing as well, but I do not know on which platform haha

Basically I would like to play on Xbox and PC thus the UWP version would be appropriate of course but then I could only play on Xbox right now which is a bummer. Furthermore, playing on PC (GOG) you will have the biggest player base since you may use cross plattform play to battle against both Xbox and PS players. Development guidelines forbid cross play between UWP and PS4 of course :(

Honestly, as long as you choose cross-play for Ranked on Xbox, there's no shortage of players.

Lucumo

Is treason the one that plays the bottom card from the opponents deck? It absolutely plays gold cards.

So it can? Darn misinformation.

But it's not really useful, too much randomness. Assire var Anahid could be a good silver card? Play gold cards early, abuse their abilities...but then again, the opponents can do so as well. And they usually have really lame ones. It's also useless if you get it round 3. Hm, meh.

Sorian

Banned
So it can? Darn misinformation.

But it's not really useful, too much randomness. Assire var Anahid could be a good silver card? Play gold cards early, abuse their abilities...but then again, the opponents can do so as well. And they usually have really lame ones. It's also useless if you get it round 3. Hm, meh.

It pairs with the gold card that lets you move a card to the bottom of the opponents deck.

Nose Master

Already kind of burning out on this. If you didn't do closed beta or pay, the cards trickle out so slowly. Maybe I'll just play a different faction every day, or something. Nilf shenanigans are getting stale without new cards to evolve my deck.

Lucumo

Xarthisius to the rescue (if you're NG that is).
It pairs with the gold card that lets you move a card to the bottom of the opponents deck.
Thanks. I guess if I should ever get it (which will probably take forever), I can switch Geralt out and this guy in?

Really hard to actually build anything when you have no clue what exists. And playing spying as NG seems boring. My cow carcasses also get countered rather easily these days as the ranked players have such good cards against them.

Tsukumo

Already kind of burning out on this. If you didn't do closed beta or pay, the cards trickle out so slowly. Maybe I'll just play a different faction every day, or something. Nilf shenanigans are getting stale without new cards to evolve my deck.

Honestly the drops I'm getting are really good. Coming from closed beta, now in open, I'm seeing:

- more, much MORE premiums. Already got 10. Playing for 4 days. Had only 20 kegs from closed beta rewards.
- legendary/ gold drops seem as rare as before, but I'm getting plenty of purples/ silvers.

I would say net-deck a bit.

http://gwentify.com/

There's already plenty of solid, budget decks that can do pretty well: reveal nilf, weather monster, dwarf scoia, armor Northernrealm the ones I'm seeing the most.
I'd rather have this game paid for me by the guys who drop sixty bucks to get Rag nah roog, than having to throw money out the window for an easy win and get bored after a week of one-sided "domination"...
Granted, CDPR deserve all the money they are going to make out of this. Game is outstanding...

Setmeni

So either I got really lucky in the Witcher 3 or I'm just bad at multiplayer card games, but I'm getting destroyed in this so far. It's really fun but I feel like my cards aren't good enough to get any wins so far.

So either I got really lucky in the Witcher 3 or I'm just bad at multiplayer card games, but I'm getting destroyed in this so far. It's really fun but I feel like my cards aren't good enough to get any wins so far.

Start with building a deck around one faction and throw out all cards that are unnecessary for that deck. Include cards with synergy (e.g. wild hunt hounds and ice giants).

I think it is best to play with 25 cards as a beginner so 10/25 cards are silver/gold.

Also try to learn what all the keywords mean and how to make optimal use of them. Contrary to The Witcher 3 nearly every card here has some special effect.

Setmeni

Start with building a deck around one faction and throw out all cards that are unnecessary for that deck. Include cards with synergy (e.g. wild hunt hounds and ice giants).

I think it is best to play with 25 cards as a beginner so 10/25 cards are silver/gold.

Also try to learn what all the keywords mean and how to make optimal use of them. Contrary to The Witcher 3 nearly every card here has some special effect.

Ok cool thanks, I'll try that out now :)

i feel so stupid for running cleaver and last wish when nr has margarita and reinforcements

i was off to such a strong start in ranked :( 6-2 became a 8-7

There are 5 factions. You are supposed to have 5 decks.

Hystzen

PS4 needs some major patching freezes on results screen, freeze on loading if player drops out and odd freeze if player forfeits during match.

Lost a few rewards due them so starting to bug me alot

SRG01

Holy shit, the ScoiaTel spy that lets you draw a bronze special is kind of overpowered. It basically lets me draw the tremor card in a pinch, or draw a buff/search card.

Holy shit, the ScoiaTel spy that lets you draw a bronze special is kind of overpowered. It basically lets me draw the tremor card in a pinch, or draw a buff/search card.

I haven't been bothered by those guys at all. This is the son of a ***** I hate right now:

50161icon.png

Deploy, Clash: Boost self by 15, then your opponent Draws a Revealed Bronze card.

Boost by 15? Really!? In Round 3 it's just an "I win" card: let's see you deal with a 25 point gold with that one bronze card you were allowed to draw. Needs to be heavily nerfed.

Exentryk

Got some playtime into this, and beat all the challenges with a basic Skellige deck. Gotten to know the decks a little better. There are a bunch of strats I want to do, but getting the cards is going to take a long time.

Lucumo

I haven't been bothered by those guys at all. This is the son of a ***** I hate right now:

50161icon.png

Boost by 15? Really!? In Round 3 it's just an "I win" card: let's see you deal with a 25 point gold with that one bronze card you were allowed to draw. Needs to be heavily nerfed.

Yep, got owned by this guy too. Damn luck.

frontovik

Banned
The new Kayran is worse than Tibor Eggebracht. Good luck trying to catch up to 25 points when you're losing on the second round, and you don't even get a free bronze card.

Sometimes you're dealt a shitty hand, and got to make the most of it. Tibor's really not that bad compared to other nonsense out there like Cerys/Shieldmaiden or Kambi.

Lucumo

The new Kayran is worse than Tibor Eggebracht. Good luck trying to catch up to 25 points when you're losing on the second round, and you don't even get a free bronze card.

Sometimes you're dealt a shitty hand, and got to make the most of it. Tibor's really not that bad compared to other nonsense out there like Cerys/Shieldmaiden or Kambi.

There is also a Silver card that equalizes the round. Sucks when it's played last and you have elemental damage on your field every turn...easy loss right there.

I haven't seen the new Kayran yet. Ceres I don't mind though because you know she's coming. That's something you can plan around, a whole round or two in advance. This Tibor guy just comes out of nowhere with the most disgustingly unbalanced swing. Geralt is a similar Gold card for example, 10 point base that boosts itself, but boosts by 3 (and even then only if you're losing). I really don't think "clash" and opponent drawing a bronze make up for a boost of 15. Even a boost of 10 would be too much imo.

There is also a Silver card that equalizes the round. Sucks when it's played last and you have elemental damage on your field every turn...easy loss right there.

Oh gross, which card is that? I'm not keen on these "out of nowhere" cards that can swing the entire game. For a card to have that much potential I really think it needs to built up and be a part of a larger strategy that your opponent has a chance to play around. "I win" cards are just... boring and frustrating. No skill involved.

This long!

No, seriously, what do you mean. The beta doesn't have expiry date, if that's what you are asking, it will just turn into 1.0 version eventually.

Even for the consoles? If do that's amazing. The only betas I've ever played were on consoles and they usually only ever ran for a weekend.

I'll take my time with this then. No need to lose sleep to play it.

frontovik

Banned
Oh gross, which card is that? I'm not keen on these "out of nowhere" cards that can swing the entire game. For a card to have that much potential I really think it needs to built up and be a part of a larger strategy that your opponent has a chance to play around. "I win" cards are just... boring and frustrating. No skill involved.

Could be referring to Dudu or King of Beggars.

hollomat

Banned
Even for the consoles? If do that's amazing. The only betas I've ever played were on consoles and they usually only ever ran for a weekend.

I'll take my time with this then. No need to lose sleep to play it.

Yup for consoles too. And your progress and cards will carry over to the final release.

JustinBB7

Played all day to get level 10 got placed at rank 6 - 789 mmr - 5956 on leaderboard. Won first ranked game and got +73. 1 win away from rank 7 but then lost -45 lol.

It begins.

Gonna stop for the day though, don't have dailies left either besides the last 24 rounds one, which is just that premium card dust and not worth another 10 games right now.

Sure, but how many people actually run all five?

Well, if people likes to ignore half the game just because, that's their choice. But then they lose the right to complain about lacking content.

I don't go to play League of Legends, play only 5 characters, and then complain there are few characters to play.

Yup for consoles too. And your progress and cards will carry over to the final release.

This may be the normal for alot of you guys but it's new to me. They've earned the price of a brand new AAA game out of me once the complete version launches and I see what's what.

hollomat

Banned
This may be the normal for alot of you guys but it's new to me. They've earned the price of a brand new AAA game out of me once the complete version launches and I see what's what.

Card games normally do betas a bit different because they have to test whether any cards needs buffs or nerfs. Plus they are almost always free to play so there's no reason to have a timed beta.

Thanks for the info! ^^^

Can someone tell me how to activate my Brave abilities?

I'm trying to get this monster deck to work and I'm learning how to play each monster card.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Not just losing, but losing after the creature is played (but probably before deploy abilities trigger, I'm not sure).

Ex:

Opponent at 10
You're at 0
You play Geralt
Opponent at 10
You're at 10
Brave doesn't go off because you're evenly matched.

Opponent at 11
You're at 0
You play Geralt
Opponent at 11
You're at 10
Brave goes off because you're still behind.
You're now at 13

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Any faction that focuses on "locking" friendly cards on the battlefield allowing them to fight for another turn?

Any common cards that does this?

Top Bottom