• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gwent - Open Beta Thread: Not bad, not bad at all

Sorian

Banned
Any faction that focuses on "locking" friendly cards on the battlefield allowing them to fight for another turn?

Any common cards that does this?

Resilient is the word you want to use. I only correct you because lock is a different mechanic, that's the one where you shut down a card's ability.

JustinBB7

What rank did everybody place at? Lifecoach started at 7 Swim is 8 now I think. So placing at 6 and 1 win away from 7 feels p good for me. Guess it will take a while for the leaderboard to sooth itself over and get the ranks right. I want to get top 1000 again for the avatar so I'll have them all. Think it will be harder this time since way more competition.

Makareu

Any faction that focuses on "locking" friendly cards on the battlefield allowing them to fight for another turn?

Any common cards that does this?

Monster and dwarves have resilient units. Monster especially can be played with the objective to carry over value when you add nekkers. And there is the neutral card Adrenaline Rush.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How are you supposed to get past King Brant with Skillage? It seems like I can win the first round, barely get through the second (losing by like 2) and then all of a sudden the fucking AI turns on cheat-mode and spawns like 5 enemies to my 1-2 cards left in deck.

WTF?

Makareu

How are you supposed to get past King Brant with Skillage? It seems like I can win the first round, barely get through the second (losing by like 2) and then all of a sudden the fucking AI turns on cheat-mode and spawns like 5 enemies to my 1-2 cards left in deck.

WTF?

I you win round 1, you can keep your cards for round 3 rather than fighting for round 2. In this scenario, only play cards in round 2 if you think they will have little value in round 3.
If even with that you are at a card deficit in round 3, it means you are over committing in round 1.

What's a good monster deck to try and build? How many cards in a ideal deck? I just started off and I'm experimenting but I still want to win. Lol.. I'm getting my ass kicked by the CPU even. I deleted all the premed decks and still not sure why I did that.

Sorian

Banned
What rank did everybody place at? Lifecoach started at 7 Swim is 8 now I think. So placing at 6 and 1 win away from 7 feels p good for me. Guess it will take a while for the leaderboard to sooth itself over and get the ranks right. I want to get top 1000 again for the avatar so I'll have them all. Think it will be harder this time since way more competition.

Still only level 7, this was like the worst week for this to release Zzzzz

Honestly, mostly just Nilfgaard's house advantage.

Are you ok with monsters having the house advantage instead? :D

In all seriousness though, the game is balanced completely differently. Witcher 3 gwent was very much a single player game, it was meant to make the player feel bad ass, this is much more balanced and nearly anything you can think of is viable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wow Monster deck feels like it got nerfed? Wild Hunt units getting debuffed in frost seems weird.

All weather resistance was removed.

Consume was nerfed.

Weather is quite strong.

Sorian

Banned
Why do I lose the game when the server goes out of sync? What bs.

If the server goes out of sync, the victory/defeat screen doesn't matter, both parties are just awarded the rounds that already finished and the rest is a wash. It's also supposed to be no change in ranked but I haven't seen that personally.

Wagram

I actually think weather works better now to an extent. I like that there's at least one tick of damage and that it's not an instant level down to 1. Now I can understand that weather spam is still annoying so I can see them needing to figure out a way to prevent that.

TheSeks

I you win round 1, you can keep your cards for round 3 rather than fighting for round 2. In this scenario, only play cards in round 2 if you think they will have little value in round 3.
If even with that you are at a card deficit in round 3, it means you are over committing in round 1.

Except the AI won't play any cards (outside of maybe 2-3) in round 2. So I'm at a "card deficit" if I win round 1.

For the life of me, I can't figure out this one because the stupid spawns is what is killing my numbers.

Makareu

Finally found a deck fun and working for me. The displacement monster deck, where O move units all over the place with Old Spear doing work.

Why do I lose the game when the server goes out of sync? What bs.

I had a bad experience with wifi, the tolerance is way too low. No problem when wired.

What's a good monster deck to try and build? How many cards in a ideal deck? I just started off and I'm experimenting but I still want to win. Lol.. I'm getting my ass kicked by the CPU even. I deleted all the premed decks and still not sure why I did that.

The monster starter deck is a good starting off point. Why would you delete them? lol Just look for the set online maybe. You can build up on that deck with just a few more cards.

The AI should be no problem at all with most of the starter decks and then you'll get a few kegs from the AI which you can use to strengthen that starter monster deck.

If you want, I'll make the monster starter deck list for you.

Sorian

Banned
Except the AI won't play any cards (outside of maybe 2-3) in round 2. So I'm at a "card deficit" if I win round 1.

For the life of me, I can't figure out this one because the stupid spawns is what is killing my numbers.

What card deficit?

TheSeks

What card deficit?

I'll be down in matching their hand size by 1-2, generally. No matter the round I pick because "lol I can spawn two creatures and then draw 2 for the next round start!" in this battle.

Sorian

Banned
I'll be down in matching their hand size by 1-2, generally. No matter the round I pick because "lol I can spawn two creatures and then draw 2 for the next round start!" in this battle.

Bran doesn't have any special drawing mechanics, I see no reason why he has more cards than you other than you not playing keep up right.

Naar

I seem to never see any Sociatal except me. Are they that weak that no one uses them? The most I see is monsters and nilfgaard.

Also in causal I mostly won and placed rank 3 once I hit level 10 and now I am almost at a losing streak :( also the challenges seemed pretty easy. Most of them I finished on first try.

I didn't buy any cards (except the ones I the game keeps giving me) but I noticed that the people I face in ranked have serious combo cards, while I don't have that many combo cards. Also opened at least 20 kegs and got very little Sociatal cards but a lot of northern realms and nilfgaard cards

Also the UI is great to look at, but horrible for gameplay (some special cards being played I have no idea what happened and they disappear from the screen and you can't press square to see what they used). Also text can be hard to see sometimes.

And I agree with others here that on PS4 I got quite a few errors and kicked out of the game. Sometimes the game even freezes after I win and I have to restart the game :\

And isn't the title Pioneer given to people in the closed beta? How come there are people on PS4 with that title? There was no closed beta on PS4 and accounts are not shared.

Also will they patch in to play with friends before the final release?

SRG01

I haven't been bothered by those guys at all. This is the son of a ***** I hate right now:

50161icon.png

Boost by 15? Really!? In Round 3 it's just an "I win" card: let's see you deal with a 25 point gold with that one bronze card you were allowed to draw. Needs to be heavily nerfed.

All they need to do is include special text to make him and other unbalanced golds targetable.

I seem to never see any Sociatal except me. Are they that weak that no one uses them? The most I see is monsters and nilfgaard.

Also in causal I mostly won and placed rank 3 once I hit level 10 and now I am almost at a losing streak :( also the challenges seemed pretty easy. Most of them I finished on first try.

I didn't buy any cards (except the ones I the game keeps giving me) but I noticed that the people I face in ranked have serious combo cards, while I don't have that many combo cards.

Also the UI is great to look at, but horrible for gameplay (some special cards being played I have no idea what happened and they disappear from the screen and you can't press square to see what they used). Also text can be hard to see sometimes.

And I agree with others here that on PS4 I got quite a few errors and kicked out of the game. Sometimes the game even freezes after I win and I have to restart the game :

And isn't the title Pioneer given to people in the closed beta? How come there are people on PS4 with that title? There was no closed beta on PS4 and accounts are not shared.

That's crazy to me that you haven't seen any dwarf decks. I've seen a lot of Scoia and Nilfgaard in my play.

There was a closed beta on the PS4. I forgot how long that lasted though..

Naar

If you win the first round, just automatically pass the 2nd round and don't use anything. That way in round 3 you have enough cards again

Complistic

I didn't buy any cards (except the ones I the game keeps giving me) but I noticed that the people I face in ranked have serious combo cards, while I don't have that many combo cards. Also opened at least 20 kegs and got very little Sociatal cards but a lot of northern realms and nilfgaard cards

And I agree with others here that on PS4 I got quite a few errors and kicked out of the game. Sometimes the game even freezes after I win and I have to restart the game :

You can check on those special cards by looking in their graveyard. But I agree they disappear to quickly.

Naar

That's crazy to me that you haven't seen any dwarf decks. I've seen a lot of Scoia and Nilfgaard in my play.

There was a closed beta on the PS4. I forgot how long that lasted though..

Oh really? there was a beta on PS4 too? Weird they only advertised Xbox and PC :\ I love this game so much haha. It is my favorite thing from the witcher 3!

Also I do have a good number of dwarf cards, but I don't have multiples of those cards. At most I have 2 of each of the ones I have currently.I think the deck I currently have is good enough to get me through for now. I am at level 5 rank atm

It's just that I have to be more careful the higher I go, because I have played against some seriously powerful players with crazy decks!

Although hearing you guys talk about Drought and Rag Nah Roog had me a bit scared since I didn't encounter anyone with those cards yet, and then a few hours ago I played against someone who had both cards and I was able to win and felt proud of myself :p

I can see how OP those cards are, but I think a good counter is using the quen shield and high hp (that's what got me through)

Naar

You can check on those special cards by looking in their graveyard. But I agree they disappear to quickly.

How? I tried to look at their graveyard but I just see a generic card cover (the players faction) I tried pressing X and doing other things and I couldn't get it to show.

So how do you view the other players graveyard?

Makareu

How? I tried to look at their graveyard but I just see a generic card cover (the players faction) I tried pressing X and doing other things and I couldn't get it to show.

So how do you view the other players graveyard?

I think it is right trigger with a controller.

Lucumo

If the server goes out of sync, the victory/defeat screen doesn't matter, both parties are just awarded the rounds that already finished and the rest is a wash. It's also supposed to be no change in ranked but I haven't seen that personally.

Got a loss in ranked, also lost points. So it's not working as intended.

I had a bad experience with wifi, the tolerance is way too low. No problem when wired.

The problem is, I'm wired and the connection is pretty stable...or should be, at least.

TheSeks

Bran doesn't have any special drawing mechanics, I see no reason why he has more cards than you other than you not playing keep up right.

Morkvarg (5 STR)-"When this unit is DISCARDED or DESTROYED, RESSURECT it and WEAKEN it by 3."
Olgierd (5 STR)-"VETERAN: RESSURECT this unit and WEAKEN it by 2."

These keep coming back (along with like 1-2 other cards in the battle and give him a card advantage. It's either draw or coming back from the graveyard or both. Whatever it is, it's an auto-lose for me.

ZangBa

I had a really easy time doing all of the challenges with the Monster starting deck. A bit disappointed there was no bonus for doing everything, but it's all good.

Naar

I think it is right trigger with a controller.

Oh? R2 is used for seeing the board when you mulligan, but I will check again! Thanks!

Morkvarg (5 STR)-"When this unit is DISCARDED or DESTROYED, RESSURECT it and WEAKEN it by 3."

These keep coming back (along with like 1-2 other cards in the battle and give him a card advantage. It's either draw or coming back from the graveyard or both. Whatever it is, it's an auto-lose for me.

Win first round, pass 2nd round IMMEDIATELY, win 3rd :p

Those cards will be 2 points by the time the 3rd round hits anyways

Sorian

Banned
Got a loss in ranked, also lost points. So it's not working as intended.

The problem is, I'm wired and the connection is pretty stable...or should be, at least.

New question, did it say server out of sync or did it say you lost connection? The second is your fault, the first is the dev's server, I'm talking the second example.

Sorian

Banned

Lock morkvarg like the tutorial before the fight tells you to do, every single starter deck has a unit that can lock.

TheSeks

Lock morkvarg like the tutorial before the fight tells you to do, every single starter deck has a unit that can lock.

Lock is actually useful? I just mulligan that because it doesn't weaken their unit strength and seems pointless.

Sorian

Banned
Lock is actually useful? I just mulligan that because it doesn't weaken their unit strength and seems pointless.

It stops whatever effect the card has. You could cleaver mork then decoy cleaver and lock olgierd if you really want to.

What

The challenge actually tells you to use it.

It completely kills his cards.

Lock is super important in the game. You can destroy peoples game plan with just one lock.

TheSeks

Lock is super important in the game. You can destroy peoples game plan with just one lock.

Game never explains it in the tutorial and the effect is just "lol chain them up" with no decrease in STR. So I just mulligan it because it's pointless to the "lol big numbers" gameplan.

Lucumo

New question, did it say server out of sync or did it say you lost connection? The second is your fault, the first is the dev's server, I'm talking the second example.

It did say server out of sync.

/edit: By the way, Auckes is generally preferable to Cleaver (gwentdb still lists the old version apparently), right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It did say server out of sync.

/edit: By the way, Auckes is generally preferable to Cleaver (gwentdb still lists the old version apparently), right?
Yes. All factions have a silver "locker" and they're all preferable to Cleaver.

Game never explains it in the tutorial and the effect is just "lol chain them up" with no decrease in STR. So I just mulligan it because it's pointless to the "lol big numbers" gameplan.

Your gameplan is bad.

The challenge tells you to lock and if you hover over the card it says:

Lock: Disable a card's abilities. Disables and reveals Ambushes.

Makareu

Thanks, we clearly need these general tips in this thread.

I hope I have enough scraps to craft this one.

The rare neutral card Dimeritium Shackles does the job too if you are short on scraps. It adds 0 value, but has the huge advantage to work on gold units too.

Lucumo

The rare neutral card Dimeritium Shackles does the job too if you are short on scraps. It adds 0 value, but has the huge advantage to work on gold units too.

Auckes would work better as I have Emhyr var Emreis, Cahir and Decoy. That would crush those resilient teams even harder.

btw: Currently have the Treason in my deck for fun. What is annoying, when you activate it and you activate some neutral effect card which opens your deck, you have no clue what card you activated...unless I'm missing something. I just don't understand why I can't check a graveyard or anything when I'm "hiding cards".

Top Bottom