• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash S3 |OT| It was me, Barry.

ZeroX03

Banned
The evil Barry wanting to be a God thing still makes no sense to me. Yes, Savitar wanted to be a God in the comics but he's almost a completely different character. They used his name and a few gimmicks but otherwise he's different and inferior (just like Zoom!). Savitar wanting to exist perpetually separate from Barry doesn't really facilitate a deity fetish. The cult was dropped pretty unceremoniously.

They've constantly shown the danger of having the Speed Force is that Speedsters can easily succumb to addiction to it. Even Wally and Jessie have shown elements of that. What seperates Barry from the rest is the people he has around him. Savitar as he was in the show illustrates that without that specific support group, Barry becomes the exponentially worse, surpassing even Zoom's desire to be the only Speedster by wanting to become a god. Being driven insane by being trapped in the Speed Force only exacerbates the problem. Every being wants to survive. Savitar Barry even more once he realizes that Current Barry no longer loses Iris. "Why does that version get her and I didn't?" type jealousy isn't too far fetched imo.

The biggest reach is the mountain of paradoxes but Time Travel and Speed Force so /shrug

Bsigg12

Just finished the season. I don't know what to think. Lots of filler episodes I feel and the Savitar reveal was so underwhelming. I thought the idea of him was cool at first though. Meh, onto season 4 whenever that's supposed to start.

abrack08

Anyone who has come in here upset about spoilers in the thread title has been doing it for the sake of imaginary people.

Who exactly is your hypothetical person that knows enough about Savitar to be spoiled by "It was me, Barry," a thing actually said by the Reverse Flash about an unrelated thing. What level of knowledge about the show do they have?

A person who has seen none of this season isn't spoiled. A person who even hasn't seen the last two episodes isn't spoiled unless they already believed Barry was Savitar by that point.

This hypothetical person actually has more reason to believe that Savitar is HR or another Wells/Eobard based off the thread title.

I'm one of these "imaginary people" who was spoiled by the thread title, and it's not cool.

I'm familiar enough with the JoJos/Dio meme and what that means, so as soon as a mystery speedster came along it made the twist incredibly obvious. And that's really not cool. Nothing in the thread title would lead you to believe that Savitar was HR or Eobard (no idea why you'd even say that) and it certainly doesn't require already thinking Barry was Savitar, because neither of those things apply to me.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm one of these "imaginary people" who was spoiled by the thread title, and it's not cool.

I'm familiar enough with the JoJos/Dio meme and what that means, so as soon as a mystery speedster came along it made the twist incredibly obvious. And that's really not cool. Nothing in the thread title would lead you to believe that Savitar was HR or Eobard (no idea why you'd even say that) and it certainly doesn't require already thinking Barry was Savitar, because neither of those things apply to me.

The thread title is a version of the "It was me" meme specific to the Reverse Flash and possibly unrelated to JoJo. "It was me, Barry," is actually about the Reverse Flash, as he is apparently responsible for literally every bad thing in Barry's life. A person reading this, without having JoJo on the brain, has no reason to assume the line is revealing Savitar as Barry.

In your case, you misinterpreted the thread title using unrelated information.

LionPride

Banned

Even if the fact the title came from shit in Flash TV past???

abrack08

The thread title is a version of the "It was me" meme specific to the Reverse Flash and possibly unrelated to JoJo. "It was me, Barry," is actually about the Reverse Flash, as he is apparently responsible for literally every bad thing in Barry's life. A person reading this, without having JoJo on the brain, has no reason to assume the line is revealing Savitar as Barry.

In your case, you misinterpreted the thread title using unrelated information.

Ok, maybe it's unrelated to Jojo's, but the thread title was changed after Savitar was revealed to be Barry wasn't it? I remember it being something about reverse character development before. It's still in reference to the identity of Savitar and makes it incredibly obvious. The only reason you wouldn't think that's what it meant is if you were familiar with forum posts that make that joke. In which case you would probably be posting in this thread already and caught up.

LionPride

Banned
Ok, maybe it's unrelated to Jojo's, but the thread title was changed after Savitar was revealed to be Barry wasn't it? I remember it being something about reverse character development before. It's still in reference to the identity of Savitar and makes it incredibly obvious. The only reason you wouldn't think that's what it meant is if you were familiar with forum posts that make that joke. In which case you would probably be posting in this thread already and caught up.
Most people who didn't watch didn't get it so....

morningbus

Which is why I said that my hypothetical person would have more reason to think Savitar was HR or some version of the Reverse Flash based off the thread title.

The thread title was literally changed to be a thing about Reverse Flash. Well, that and the fact that it's a play on words for people who know, obviously.

abrack08

Which is why I said that my hypothetical person would have more reason to think Savitar was HR or some version of the Reverse Flash based off the thread title.

The thread title was literally changed to be a thing about Reverse Flash. Well, that and the fact that it's a play on words for people who know, obviously.

Your hypothetical person would have to be familiar with flash memes and forum posts to associate the quote with Reverse Flash. Which I, and presumably others, are not. Otherwise it's too easy to make the connection. Doesn't take a detective to figure this out:

1) There's a new speedster, their identity is a mystery.
2) Late in the season, the thread title is changed to "It was me, Barry!"
3) That speedster is probably Barry.

The fact that there's another interpretation isn't relevant to someone not familiar with what is essentially an inside joke.

morningbus

Your hypothetical person would have to be familiar with flash memes and forum posts to associate the quote with Reverse Flash. Which I, and presumably others, are not. Otherwise it's too easy to make the connection. Doesn't take a detective to figure this out:

1) There's a new speedster, their identity is a mystery.
2) Late in the season, the thread title is changed to "It was me, Barry!"
3) That speedster is probably Barry.

The fact that there's another interpretation isn't relevant to someone not familiar with what is essentially an inside joke.

You're assuming that someone posting in the Flash thread is unfamiliar with the Flash, the Flash thread, and Flash memes and more familiar with JoJo and JoJo memes. Look, I'm sorry your specific confluence of knowledge lead to you guessing something that was also pretty obvious, but you were an edge case I didn't account for because of the unrelated JoJo connection you made.

But even a person who isn't up on the thread or the memes would still not naturally land on Barry from the title alone. They would have to already suspect it. Even without knowledge of the meme, the thread title could be said by literally anyone on the show.

Why would that person naturally land on Barry being Savitar?

abrack08

You're assuming that someone posting in the Flash thread is unfamiliar with the Flash, the Flash thread, and Flash memes and more familiar with JoJo and JoJo memes. Look, I'm sorry your specific confluence of knowledge lead to you guessing something that was also pretty obvious, but you were an edge case I didn't account for because of the unrelated JoJo connection you made.

But even a person who isn't up on the thread or the memes would still not naturally land on Barry from the title alone. They would have to already suspect it. Even without knowledge of the meme, the thread title could be said by literally anyone on the show.

Why would that person naturally land on Barry being Savitar?

I'm not talking about someone posting in the thread. Anyone who comes to post in the thread of a TV show they aren't current on is asking for trouble. But the thread title is visible to everyone and during the shows run it pops up on the first page of the OT section quite often. So someone actively avoiding the thread until they are caught up can still be spoiled by a title. If a person is avoiding the thread because they aren't caught up (ie me), they aren't going to know about memes and typical posts in the thread.

morningbus

I'm not talking about someone posting in the thread. Anyone who comes to post in the thread of a TV show they aren't current on is asking for trouble. But the thread title is visible to everyone and during the shows run it pops up on the first page of the OT section quite often. So someone actively avoiding the thread until they are caught up can still be spoiled by a title. If a person is avoiding the thread because they aren't caught up (ie me), they aren't going to know about memes and typical posts in the thread.

You aren't strengthening your argument by introducing a hypothetical person who knows even less. A person who has no point of reference for the season also wouldn't be spoiled by the thread title.

At this point you're suggesting a person exists that:

1) Wasn't currently watching the season, but saving for a later time.
2) Yet knows enough about the new season that Savitar is the main bad guy.
3) Doesn't know enough about the Flash to know that "It was me, Barry" is about the Reverse Flash.
4) Yet assumes that a line of dialogue in quotes is actually not a line of dialogue and is some Lionel Hutz style "No, money down!" type typographical spoiler.

Why would this person assume the title is not just something Savitar said? A revived Eddie could have said this line. HR could have said it. Without context, without already assuming Barry is Savitar, it is just meaningless.

abrack08

You aren't strengthening your argument by introducing a hypothetical person who knows even less. A person who has no point of reference for the season also wouldn't be spoiled by the thread title.

At this point you're suggesting a person exists that:

1) Wasn't currently watching the season, but saving for a later time.
2) Yet knows enough about the new season that Savitar is the main bad guy.
3) Doesn't know enough about the Flash to know that "It was me, Barry" is about the Reverse Flash.
4) Yet assumes that a line of dialogue in quotes is actually not a line of dialogue and is some Lionel Hutz style "No, money down!" type typographical spoiler.

Why would this person assume the title is not just something Savitar said? A revived Eddie could have said this line. HR could have said it. Without context, without already assuming Barry is Savitar, it is just meaningless.

Dude. I'm not talking about a hypothetical person. This literally happened to me. The fact that you think I'm some rare unicorn of a person is flattering but I don't think it's true. Does this seem that outlandish?

1) Waiting for Flash to be added to Netflix (wasn't done with Season 2 until Season 3 was almost over)
2) Knows nothing about internet Flash/Reverse Flash memes
3) Noticed the thread title change late in the season
4) Started watching season as soon as it was on Netflix
5) Once Savitar was introduced, made the connection to the thread title.

It seemed obvious then and still seems obvious now.

I did not already think Savitar was Barry because I saw the title before watching the show and then made the connection almost immediately when Savitar was introduced.

Your point #4 is especially ridiculous. Interpreting "It was me, Barry!" to be Barry speaking does not even approach the Lionel Hutz joke.

LionPride

Banned
I mean

Most of the thread believed Savitar was Barry from the jump or made jokes when he said I am the Future Flash the thread moved fast during the the season and with this dragged out shit, when it was finally revealed, the title change was made.

morningbus

Dude. I'm not talking about a hypothetical person. This literally happened to me. The fact that you think I'm some rare unicorn of a person is flattering but I don't think it's true. Does this seem that outlandish?

1) Waiting for Flash to be added to Netflix (wasn't done with Season 2 until Season 3 was almost over)
2) Knows nothing about internet Flash/Reverse Flash memes
3) Noticed the thread title change late in the season
4) Started watching season as soon as it was on Netflix
5) Once Savitar was introduced, made the connection to the thread title.

It seemed obvious then and still seems obvious now.

Your point #4 is especially ridiculous. Interpreting "It was me, Barry!" to be Barry speaking does not even approach the Lionel Hutz joke.

You are not that person. You made an unrelated connection that tipped you into thinking about it in a way no one could possibly account for.

Don't get me wrong, I assumed Savitar was Barry almost immediately. It isn't something that's impossible to do. Just that the thread title isn't a spoiler because the person that has the exact correct amount of knowledge for it to be a spoiler doesn't exist.

abrack08

You are not that person. You made an unrelated connection that tipped you into thinking about it in a way no one could possibly account for.

Don't get me wrong, I assumed Savitar was Barry almost immediately. It isn't something that's impossible to do. Just that the thread title isn't a spoiler because the person that has the exact correct amount of knowledge for it to be a spoiler doesn't exist.

The thread title was literally changed to "It was me, Barry" in reference to Savitar being Barry. You acting like that's a ridiculous interpretation of the line when it's actually the "correct" one is really puzzling. The fact that there are also other interpretations doesn't make it not a spoiler, because some people are going to read it the right way.

Almost none of the information that you claim is required to be spoiled by that is actually required. Here's what's actually required:

1) Doesn't know who Savitar is yet
2) Isn't familiar with Flash memes
3) Reads "It was me, Barry!" As Barry saying he was another character
4) Puts 2 and 2 together and realizes the one mystery character is probably some form of Barry (future, other earth, etc).

ZeroX03

Banned
Dude. I'm not talking about a hypothetical person. This literally happened to me. The fact that you think I'm some rare unicorn of a person is flattering but I don't think it's true.

You're the first person in two months it happened to, because you confused it with a meme that I (the person behind the thread title) was not even aware of. Sorry you got spoiled on a really obvious twist. This thread is in community so it's not affecting many others. Move on.

morningbus

The thread title was literally changed to "It was me, Barry" in reference to Savitar being Barry. You acting like that's a ridiculous interpretation of the line when it's actually the "correct" one is really puzzling. The fact that there are also other interpretations doesn't make it not a spoiler, because some people are going to read it the right way.

Almost none of the information that you claim is required to be spoiled by that is actually required. Here's what's actually required:

1) Doesn't know who Savitar is yet
2) Isn't familiar with Flash memes
3) Reads "It was me, Barry!" As Barry saying he was another character
4) Puts 2 and 2 together and realizes the one mystery character is probably some form of Barry (future, other earth, etc).

Yet no one, including yourself, was actually spoiled at the time by the thread title change. Everyone, including you, are arguing on behalf of a hypothetical person with a specific amount of knowledge that hasn't materialized to complain.

There is nothing that naturally leads one to assume "It was me, Barry" is actually about how there is an evil Barry. The line makes just as much sense if Eddie, or some other shocking reveal, had said it. The only time the title crosses over to a spoiler is when you already know Barry is Savitar. Some might say it's the reverse of a spoiler.

Imagine if a new Batman movie came out and it had a neat Michael Keaton cameo and the thread for it used "Let's get nuts" as its subtitle. But the movie is also about Arkham Asylum. It's the same kind of spoiler. Something that is spoiled for you the moment you realize it was spoiled for you.

It's pretty obvious that the title is referring to the season's big bad. Like, blatantly obvious. Being an old meme reference is part of it but honestly the biggest part is the fact that anyone who has been in any of these DCTV show threads know the titles represent exactly what's going on during the active season.

Just like the Dolph Lundgren and Manu Bennett references in the Arrow thread titles. This shit is not rocket science.

That being said, there's definitely merit to the fact that the threads are in Community, though I don't recall if they're in community during the live season or moved later (it varies from show thread to show thread tbh). There's also the fact that spoiler policies for tv show threads are usually that shit's open to talk about after the first airing.

Both sides of the debate have points. OT subtitles being in-jokes/references to the season is a tradition on GAF but stuff like the Manu Bennett and It was me, Barry could be a bit too on the nose.

Maybe just ask a mod that does a lot of tv stuff like Cornballer if hinting sub titles is too much or no big deal and let that be that?

ZeroX03

Banned
Maybe just ask a mod that does a lot of tv stuff like Cornballer if hinting sub titles is too much or no big deal and let that be that?

I asked mods to change the titles. No resistance.

Again, one person was spoiled by this title. Months after the fact.

The Manu one was because it was all over social media and there was no hiding his return.

abrack08

You're the first person in two months it happened to, because you confused it with a meme that I (the person behind the thread title) was not even aware of. Sorry you got spoiled on a really obvious twist. This thread is in community so it's not affecting many others. Move on.

It wasn't in the community section when the season was live.

It's ridiculous you guys are completely discounting everything else I say because I originally thought it was a Jojo's reference. Disregarding that it's still too easy to figure out the twist solely due to the title before the show starts telegraphing it. And it's stupid to spoil the show in the thread title. I don't care if you don't think it spoiled anyone else, you shouldn't be hinting at the big twist of the season in the title and hoping people who see it are aware of the meme or think "Well technically anyone could say that!"

Edit:
Yeah gonna wait a week on that OT title change for people on DVR/app/iTunes.

And boy this definitely explains why Barry recruits
Captain Cold to fight Savitar, who better to beat Barry than the guy who does it with ease?

Now why would you wait a week to change the title if you didn't think it could be considered a spoiler? 🤔

Joni

Because if you followed the thread, you would have figured it out. We were really referencing that possibility the week before the reveal.

ZeroX03

Banned
It wasn't in the community section when the season was live.

It's ridiculous you guys are completely discounting everything else I say because I originally thought it was a Jojo's reference. Disregarding that it's still too easy to figure out the twist solely due to the title before the show starts telegraphing it. And it's stupid to spoil the show in the thread title. I don't care if you don't think it spoiled anyone else, you shouldn't be hinting at the big twist of the season in the title and hoping people who see it are aware of the meme or think "Well technically anyone could say that!"

Edit:

Now why would you wait a week to change the title if you didn't think it could be considered a spoiler? ��

Because if you followed the thread, you would have figured it out. We were really referencing that possibility the week before the reveal.

^ There you go.

I was going to post some big rant about spoiler culture, but it's not worth the energy. It's stupid, and I don't care if you care about petty spoilers. Feel free to continue making this a thing, I'll just ignore you.

I'll continue to contact mods to delete/tag posts if people post big spoilers or production leaks prior to an episode airing, but minor things, jokes or casting stuff that's all over social media I don't care. And if it's aired, even less so.

Season 4 premiere title revealed:
The Flash Reborn

http://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-season-4-premiere-title-revealed/29114

Also, lineup announced fro the ComicCon panel:
http://flashtvnews.com/flash-comic-con-2017-panel-details-revealed/29107

Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Tom Cavanagh, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Keiynan Lonsdale

Notably missing: Tom Felton.

Season 4 premiere title revealed:
The Flash Reborn

http://flashtvnews.com/the-flash-season-4-premiere-title-revealed/29114

Also, lineup announced fro the ComicCon panel:
http://flashtvnews.com/flash-comic-con-2017-panel-details-revealed/29107

Grant Gustin, Jesse L. Martin, Tom Cavanagh, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Keiynan Lonsdale

That title could mean two things and I'm guessing I already know what it is.

Mr. Felton is missing.

ZeroX03

Banned
Did we get any news on him being re-upped or as regular?

No, he's mentioned in the season 4 synopsis, but that doesn't mean much as it also said Tom Cavanagh is still playing HR. It came out before the season ended so it tip toed around spoilers. He said at a Con he hopes to come back which could mean he's either playing coy or really doesn't know.

He's got a really odd contract. He gets the rare "special appearance by" credit.

jg4xchamp

Binge watched season 3; egad the plotting of this season. The Iris move in the finale is so incredibly bullshit lol. Is season 4 gonna be another speedster as a main villain?

I asked mods to change the titles. No resistance.

Again, one person was spoiled by this title. Months after the fact.

The Manu one was because it was all over social media and there was no hiding his return.

Only mods can change thread titles, so hints like this are always approved.

I'm well aware that only mods can change titles. The fact that he was changing titles previously does not actually mean he would side with your stance once it's know that it spoils/bothers people. He may have been ok with it because of the insular nature of these threads but may go the other way once it bothers (like Wozzlys fan fiction). The obly way to know is to bring up the debate and ask.

And what does it matter if Manu's appearance was on social media? Not everyone follows the cast of these shows on social media. I didn't see and don't ever see anything about these cast members in my social media feeds. None of them are popular enough that they're unavoidable.

Acting like you are the bog standard for the thread is the reason there's a debate to begin with.

And you can spoiler culture rant as much as you want. At the end of the day what it comes down to is "Do you want to be a dick and intentionally do things that upsets people? Or would you rather consider others and take care?" Your choice.

Top Bottom