• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands looks unbelievable, what the hell?

dsk1210

Because HDR on PC is a fucking atrocity of nightmares? Honestly, I have a TV that supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision - I plugged my PC into it and started Mass Effect Andromeda and after 2-3 hours I couldn't get either to work.

Was it my nVidia Drivers? Was it the game? Was it the Creators Update for Windows 10? I honestly stopped giving a shit and vowed to not try again until I read enough evidence that someone somewhere had solved the entire thing. I fully expect someone to show up and say "Well yeah you didn't open regedit and modify this key for your specific driver version" - this is why I play games on PS4.

It was Microsoft when they added HDR at the OS level.

Nvidia HDR worked perfect until Microsoft tried to implement it and now its fucked.

Fury451

Banned
man the world is fucking huge. jesus. too bad the game has the ubi typical bulletsponge bullshit that i despise and pisses me off.

A headshot will instantly kill an enemy.

Others have various forms of armor but you can generally shred it quickly.

Kill3r7

I've said before that I tried the beta and thought the game was trash. A couple of friends bought it and kept saying it was a lot of fun but I wouldn't go near it. I tried the 5 hr trial a few weeks back just to see if it had improved and my opinion completely changed. Playing solo is ok but co op with friends on the hardest difficulty is something else

Like most popular games this gen online MP/ co-op play enhances the experience tremendously. Unfortunately, if you are in it for solo play these games tend to be pretty dull. Much like real life most activities are better with friends.

Unity2012

The game is definitely beautiful. Playing on xbox one s with HDR on a 4k tv looks fantastic. The game has improved a lot since launch. Playing co-op is mighty fun and I never mind the solo play. I've put a lot if hours into WL since launch and I still love it. The first dlc was meh... but the second one is really good.

Perhaps on PC it looks fantastic. On PS4, the beta left me unimpressed. Some good stuff in there visually, but overall, not so much.

MaLDo

I see no problem with vegetation or details for an open world game of that size and freedom

grw2017-08-1815-54-43a7s47.png

grw2017-08-1815-54-08pwsav.png

grw2017-08-1816-04-36eerl9.png

grw2017-08-1816-00-22pos70.png

grw2017-08-1816-13-33dmowb.png

grw2017-08-1816-07-47fcohm.png

Springy

My co-op buddies and I comment with unerring regularity on the incredible work that's gone into the environments and weather effects for this game. They're astonishing. Some designers at Ubisoft Paris are super fucking talented.

Wildlands 2 will be great.

This one? It looks fantastic. It is fantastic - for the first area.

And then it all collapses in on itself.

There's just not enough depth to the gameplay loop. It should have been a bit more 'technical', more mil-sim, than Just Cause - which is what it ends up playing like.

UrbanRats

There's just not enough depth to the gameplay loop. It should have been a bit more 'technical', more mil-sim, than Just Cause - which is what it ends up playing like.

I played both extensively, and i have no idea how you've come to this conclusion.
Unless maybe playing at Arcade difficulty.

I do agree that they should push the sim aspect more though.

jtb

Banned

Ubi has long given up on "mil-sim"/tactical gameplay. Not mainstream enough.

see: unceremonious death of the Splinter Cell franchise

I played the game mostly on high since my CPU seems to hate the game but man it can be pretty. One of my most screenshoted games on Steam so far. I adored the game and put near 70 hours into it all completely solo as well. I couldn't image how awesome it would be with a dedicated group of buddies to play with all the time.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
On pc maxed out the game looks awesome. At 1440p though, on a 1080 i still cant hit 60fps maxed.

I don't know if I would compare it to any other game, like Horizon or anything, since it's not fundamentally LIKE any other game out right now. Maybe GTAV if anything. Just Cause 3 sorta, but they're not 1:1 comparisons.

It really is a game that is more than a sum of its parts. Everything working together makes it my GOTY for 2017. Could things be improved? Of course, but it hasn't kept me from really enjoying the game for waaaay too many hours (11 days?).

These are relatively older screenshots, I usually just take video captures now. I do miss the panoramic controls for the helicopters for taking cool screenshots. My favorite part is in the first picture, the little structure you see on the ridge in the distance is HUGE in game, and you can go there (and do go there in the story). Screenshots don't do it justice vs HDR on a good TV though.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Thank you for those gorgeous shots.

The state of gaming the last few years has been incredible. The fact that there are so many developers able to deliver such impressive content on such a huge scale (Horizon, BOTW, Wildlands, GTAV, Witcher 3, etc.) would be unfathomable to me a decade ago.

Wildlands makes me even more excited to see what Rockstar has in store with Red Dead Redemption 2. If any game can capture the grounded, realistic scenery and scale of Wildlands it's Red Dead, so I can't fucking wait. Gamers are really lucky these days.

Yes Ghost Recon Wildlands is beautiful, but everything feels so artificial. I'm fine with there being nothing to do but the vehicle handling just exacerbates the open world's main issue in that everything feels the same despite looking so different. You can literally flip cars over while they are upside down from inside the car by holding the gas.

Yes Ghost Recon Wildlands is beautiful, but everything feels so artificial. I'm fine with there being nothing to do but the vehicle handling just exacerbates the open world's main issue in that everything feels the same despite looking so different. You can literally flip cars over while they are upside down from inside the car by holding the gas.

Game is nuts and has quirks galore - and unrealistic-but-gameplay-orientated decisions, like the nearly-self-righting cars.

But this kinda thing wins out for me, hands down. The world absolutely makes this game for me, and so it never felt samey:

b95f513e-4070-4765-b63b-2b3a55677017_Thumbnail.PNG

Proper night, bats, a hamlet off in the distance. Bliss.

Foxxsoxx

On Pro it looks alright. Lots of pop-in, which sucks because you can see so much around you just popping in all the time because of the insane draw distance.

Also unfortunately many of the buildings that you go in are copy pasted to hell and back. The world feels great but you'll be going in the same 3 buildings the whole time.

_RT_

The Tier-40 HTI? Yeah that takes out cars in one bullet, although i tried it against helis, and 5 shots still wouldn't bring them down.
Could've been some lag, since i was playing online.

Upgrade it or take the silencer off.
Try the second first.

That thing is a beast.

Game is nuts and has quirks galore - and unrealistic-but-gameplay-orientated decisions, like the nearly-self-righting cars.

But this kinda thing wins out for me, hands down. The world absolutely makes this game for me, and so it never felt samey:

b95f513e-4070-4765-b63b-2b3a55677017_Thumbnail.PNG

Proper night, bats, a hamlet off in the distance. Bliss.

Woah where is that. I got pretty far in the game but stopped and sold it because all my friends who I bought it to play with stop playing.

Game is fun as hell in co-op and fun solo as well(just nowhere near as good as co-op). The visuals definitely aren't what made me enjoy the game.

Belker

Also unfortunately many of the buildings that you go in are copy pasted to hell and back. The world feels great but you'll be going in the same 3 buildings the whole time.

This is a gameplay problem too, since it makes it hard to coordinate by landmarks. The two-storey building with the staircase outside? That's all of 'em.

They could have mitigated this by having different combinations of posters on the wall, or coloured windows or something dotted around to make the building more distinct.

Not all buildings, but some amount to assist co-op.

The two storey building with the staricase outside and the red and blue posters? Maybe that would work.

How's the PS4/PC population on this game?

Not sure about numbers, but on PC for the last 5 months or so I've never had a problem finding people to play with at all. Now finding GOOD people to play with on Hardcore difficulty is a different story.

autoduelist

Loved the game. had fun solo and coop. Highly recommended. It also sold like hotcakes, and has great word of mouth... don't know why people don't talk about it here more.

Not everything self-rights itself!! :)

xeI5Ptz.gif

How's the PS4/PC population on this game?

We have a NeoGAF Xbox Task Force, a PS4 Task Force, and a PC Task Force, but the involvement is hit or miss.

Check out the OT for people to play with, though most of us are on Xbox:

Ghost Recon Wildlands: A NeoGAF OT

I have the adv. suppressor skill tho (i'll try anyway).

Advanced Suppressor makes damage not go down, but it does make penetration (Huh huh) go down, so it is still less effective against vehicles.

Kikorin

Played It all day today at a friend house. It's fun, but graphically I found it pretty average, anyway I was playing on X1. Scale of the open world is the only real impressive thing I noticed.

Because HDR on PC is a fucking atrocity of nightmares? Honestly, I have a TV that supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision - I plugged my PC into it and started Mass Effect Andromeda and after 2-3 hours I couldn't get either to work.

Was it my nVidia Drivers? Was it the game? Was it the Creators Update for Windows 10? I honestly stopped giving a shit and vowed to not try again until I read enough evidence that someone somewhere had solved the entire thing. I fully expect someone to show up and say "Well yeah you didn't open regedit and modify this key for your specific driver version" - this is why I play games on PS4.

It's actually pretty simple to use HDR.

In NVIDIA control panel under "Change Resolution" make sure "3.Apply the following settings" is set to "use default color setting".

In Windows 10 settings under "Display" make sure "HDR and advanced color" is set to ON. (Note: this setting will not turn to ON unless the NVIDIA setting is set first, and may turn on automatically with the change to the NVIDIA setting)

I have all up to date drivers and Windows 10 updates and it works with no issue for me.

Pjsprojects

Played It all day today at a friend house. It's fun, but graphically I found it pretty average, anyway I was playing on X1. Scale of the open world is the only real impressive thing I noticed.

No marks against the X1 version but imo only the pc version on really high settings gets the wow factor.
I played it on all formats and even sold the PS4 version. Some games look great on console like Ryse or HZD but not Wildlands sadly.

Lucifon

This game would be great fun with a battle royale large scale multiplayer mode.

It looks significantly nicer on PC. I played the beta on PC but have the final game on PC. It runs great too and looks gorgeous. Feels much better with 60fps as the gunplay didn't feel great on console.

E-flux

So how is the game now days? I played the beta and was super disappointed about how easy the game was on "realistic" and how dumb the AI was, i didn't really follow the launch or what was in the game at launch but what are peoples thoughts about it? Yay or Nay?

Yoday

It IS the best selling game so far of 2017 in the US according to the July NPD numbers, so a lot of people did pick it up. I played the beta or demo or something a while back, it seemed ok but pretty cliche and just not that interesting solo gameplay.
I felt the same way after playing the Beta. Actually, the Beta killed all interest I had in the game. A few months later I picked up a killer Xbox One S bundle on Amazon that included the game, and after a few more tries The game hooked me. I now have 100+ hours into the game, play it every week for the challenges, and it's currently my game of the year.

It can certainly get repetitive, but the fun is in the number of ways you can approach an objective. It also helps that the environment is not only massive, but incredibly varied.

joecanada

A bulletsponge is an enemy who takes a lot of bullets to kill just so you know.

There's a rifle that one shots most vehicles and any helicopter.

you don't need a special rifle. Theres grenade launchers, and when I play I go silenced sniper/assault and then backup LMG for oh shit moments.

LMG with a few perks takes a heli down in like half a magazine.

nOoblet16

you don't need a special rifle. Theres grenade launchers, and when I play I go silenced sniper/assault and then backup LMG for oh shit moments.

LMG with a few perks takes a heli down in like half a magazine.
Yea but the special gun he is talking about is a sniper rifle. It's the most powerful gun in he game and can one/two shot most vehicles. And it can have a suppressor on as well if you want.

Yea but he special gun he is talking about is a sniper rifle. It's he most powerful gun in he game and can one/two shot most vehicles. And it can have a suppressor on as well if you want.

Yeah the HTI and the Tier 1 Desert HTI are beasts.

On the harder difficulty, it's super handy to dispatch helicopters chasing you with one hit. Reload time sucks, and only 5 round mag.

If you put the suppressor on it, it limits the penetration so it loses some effectiveness against vehicles.

Yeah, I can't wait to jump back in when the X1X comes out. I purposefully got about halfway and stopped just to enjoy the graphical leap.

Klocker

Apparently this is marked for Xbox One X enhancements so I think I might be grabbing this one at least by November.

Edit.... Annnnd bought on sale

Disc version. Only game on disc I bought all gen haha

These are relatively older screenshots, I usually just take video captures now. I do miss the panoramic controls for the helicopters for taking cool screenshots. My favorite part is in the first picture, the little structure you see on the ridge in the distance is HUGE in game, and you can go there (and do go there in the story). Screenshots don't do it justice vs HDR on a good TV though.
Recon-View01.png
It's pretty fun to change your camo for the environment you're in :D

Actually, it's something I like do in a lot of games that don't offer any bonus for it. In XCOM 2, I tried to also always give my guys camo fitting the next map.

Really wish GRW added outfit customization for your Ghost NPC squad though :O I usually dress my 'canon Nomad' in the default canon outfit (red t and cap) whenever I'm with the Holt & co. cuz if I'm all camo-ed out or armored-out, it looks kinda funny while they're all wearing casual shirts.

forms

I had absolutely no clue the game looked this good.

I've heard nothing about it, so I chalked it up to "whatever" status and that was that. Came across this video and several others and my goodness the visuals are absurd. Is there some catch as to why this game is never brought up in discussion around here? I've recently beaten Horizon: Zero Dawn, I'm currently playing Breath of the Wild, and yet these videos of a game I've never played are blowing me away from a technical perspective.

The atmosphere is absurd. Nighttime is ACTUALLY NIGHT. Unbelievable. As a sucker for atmosphere, I think I'd want to just do scenic hikes throughout the world.

Because once you have started the game, experienced the lousy helicopter controls, seen that the quickest way of using a car is just driving towards your goal (down mountains etc, doesn’t even matter) and seen that your ai partners ignore all ”real world rules” of visuals and tactical placement...you are left with a somewhat decent screen saver.

^do you mean the old helicopter controls or you think the new ones are lousy too?

i mean, the new ones are fairly GTA V esque and are by no means perfect

but at least you can do combat strafing now because it gives you some real yaw control

Top Bottom