• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

Mitchings

Banned
From what House said, and some comments I recall Yoshida saying, it sounds more like their intent is to provide a streaming game service that would provide a catalogue of games, rather than any particular game you already own; with the lofty (very) long term end-goal being that someone on this service would have access to the entire PlayStation back-catalogue.

It would be great if Sony created a persistent poll of the whole PlayStation back-catalogue (PS1/PS2/PS3/PSP) and simply got people to vote.

Whatever games are at the top are the highest priority to be brought to the streaming service and once they're added to the streaming service they're removed from the poll.

The poll could also be integrated into the PS4/PSVita UI's, as well as a webpage.

Radec

spoiler: gamers are shallow

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

Dumb reference bro.

people downplaying how PS4 keep BEASTing Xbone in all these polls are gonna be in for a shock, IMO...

I've been trying to pre-order the PS4 in Canada and I simply can't. Sold out everywhere. Some of the retail guys were actually laughing at how people keep asking for PS4 when they were sold out long ago and they can't even sell half of their Xbone units.

What this mostly says there is still a shit that can happen between now in November:

MS marketing budget
MS making adjustments to policies, emphasizes the positives, why it is an advantage to consumers
MS offering subscription model, i.e. pay between 199 and 299 in store.

what, more shit than already? :) ...

yeah, they can try to add lots more sugar to make the medicine go down. but that still won't affect the 'morning after' blowback, which is another thing completely...

Crayons

Banned
I suspect the poll was shut down due to some vote rigging.

Almost definitely influenced by some kiddies at 4chan

I can honestly say that there was no rigging involved in this poll. You would need a Facebook account in order to vote, and there is no bot that allows you to make Facebook accounts, and even if there was it would be so inefficient and not even worth the time. People fail to realize how fast bad news spreads. This 90% advantage PS4 has over Xbone in the poll does not at all represent the demand in the actual market (there are many uninformed consumers out there), but it does represent the horrific public opinion on the internet.

Even go check the comments on the poll. The PS4 side is filled with praise, and the Xbone side is filled with criticism.
You also have to take into account the enthusiasm gamers have so that the PS4 succeeds and that the Xbone fails. They will share the page with friends because this cause matters to them much more so than any Xbone fans.

nasos_333

I can honestly say that there was no rigging involved in this poll. You would need a Facebook account in order to vote, and there is no bot that allows you to make Facebook accounts, and even if there was it would be so inefficient and not even worth the time. People fail to realize how fast bad news spreads. This 90% advantage PS4 has over Xbone in the poll does not at all represent the demand in the actual market (there are many uninformed consumers out there), but it does represent the horrific public opinion on the internet.

Even go check the comments on the poll. The PS4 side is filled with praise, and the Xbone side is filled with criticism.
You also have to take into account the enthusiasm gamers have so that the PS4 succeeds and that the Xbone fails. They will share the page with friends because this cause matters to them much more so than any Xbone fans.

I am one of the biggest xbox supporters and still voted for PS4

I just dont feel xbox one is anything like xbox and PS4 holds all the cards this time

denshuu

This poll would be much more interesting if I couldn't just look at the top sellers on Amazon and see that the PS4 and Xbone are #1 and #2 respectively on the top sellers list.

Polls are fun forum fodder. Sales actually matter.

I think the key thing to remember is that the people who voted in this poll were the ones who felt the strongest about this issue. It is Amazon and i don't think thats an accurate look at the mass market. I do think the PS4 is poised to do better in the market but I think that the Xbox One will still have a moderate amount of success. I think that the key to the Xbox One's success is if it becomes a little bit like Steam with the huge discounts. Imagine ps4 games still being full price while the Xbox One games are $45. That would be a huge game hanger.

Ultimatum

Banned
wow this image shows 19 People out of 833 playing MW2...

we can only work with the data provided. in this case 32 people are in game, 19 of which playing MW2 - so we can conclude 60% (19/32) of gamers are full of shit

bearing in mind that media/internet manipulation is significantly higher in this case, I would estimate 90% of (console) gamers are full of shit post-e3, and if we remove those clowns from the sample then XBO and PS4 are much closer in votes

I'm not really sure the numbers are bad just because of 'deep' issues like DRM and owner rights. Some people, sure. That's my issue. But there are other issues like it being less powerful, containing a camera array I don't want that they are forcing to be hooked up and it's $100 more than the more powerful PS4.

Even if they fix the DRM thing, or offer enough new rights digitally to assuage those mad at losing them physically... they still have other MAJOR issues to fix.

people don't like change, it's natural to have some initial resistance, but eventually consumers will realise that always online is the way forward

you're right that price is a deterrent, but it's up to MS marketing to justify it to consumers, they certainly have the tech to make a case for the price they are charging, but it's still steep. I'd like to see MS offer subsidies through third parties such as ISPs or TV service providers.

People are still posting this image? People pointed out the flawed logic in showing a handful of people playing the game (which are always bumped up to the front of the page) against a total membership of several hundred like two days after that image started circulating the internet...

everyone in game is bumped to the front, not just mw2 players, so surely we would be seeing a larger mix of games

You know, that's 17 pages long and it's not a clear picture of whats going on if we can't see the other 16 pages of activity.

could be clearer but it's clear enough

People need to STOP POSTING THIS FUCKING PIC.
It's damn useless and doesn't mean shit.

Out of more than 800 people, 20something are playing the game. Big fucking deal. Steam shows the people currently ingame first, so this means nothing at all. If all the rest didn't buy the game (which I doubt), I'd say that group was a success.

the other 800 probably have the game too but I'm guessing they were sleeping at the time this pic was taken

Comparing the poll to a 60$ product which had hype through the roof with no other competition makes sense.

internet hype of PS4 is through the roof too, and price isn't a factor since you don't have to pledge money towards a console in order to vote

Show me the other people on the other 16 pages ONLY THEN can we talk

Stop posting this 1 page bullshit

I'll provide you that when you show me data of how many of these voters have preordered

Jobbs

Banned
I think the key thing to remember is that the people who voted in this poll were the ones who felt the strongest about this issue. It is Amazon and i don't think thats an accurate look at the mass market. I do think the PS4 is poised to do better in the market but I think that the Xbox One will still have a moderate amount of success. I think that the key to the Xbox One's success is if it becomes a little bit like Steam with the huge discounts. Imagine ps4 games still being full price while the Xbox One games are $45. That would be a huge game hanger.

So you're saying X-Bone games will be cheaper than PS4 games? yes, I guess that'd be a big deal, but it'd also be a big deal if PS4 games were cheaper than X-Bone games, which is an equally substantiated statement.

Both systems will have games in a retail environment and available digitally as well. The difference is X-Bone shits on your retail-purchased games. How this translates to cheaper game prices is a mystery to me.

SeanR1221

This. Will. Not. Happen.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but this seems like the latest talking point for xbone fans. The games will be reduced greatly in price like steam. Know why steam games get reduced? It's not a closed system and they have lots of competition. Furthermore, PC games don't have nearly the same retail presence as console games. Walmart, target and bestbuy help dictate these prices.

And the last point. People are ok buying games at 60, so publishers will continue pricing them at 60.

Ding-Ding

As everyone knows that the words "huge discounts" and "Microsoft" fits like a glove.

Its just like when they all said "buying DD will be cheaper for us gamers".

Ahh so this is the newest glimmer of hope for people.

Ain't happening

you're right that price is a deterrent, but it's up to MS marketing to justify it to consumers, they certainly have the tech to make a case for the price they are charging, but it's still steep. I'd like to see MS offer subsidies through third parties such as ISPs or TV service providers.

They have weaker tech at $100 more. I'm not sure that's 'the tech to make a case for the price.'

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
spoiler: gamers are shallow

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

Oh look. Someone else who doesn't know how Steam groups work.

Let's all point and laugh.

You understand this is a copycat industry, right? If Sony has huge success with NO DRM, microsoft will drop DRM. Microsoft has huge success with software sales, sony will copy software sales. It's not like what either of these consoles launch with is how they will be stuck for the rest of time.

I do think you're more of an optimist than I am if you think MS or Sony is going to end up with a store that competes with steam.

xaosslug

What this mostly says there is still a shit that can happen between now in November:

MS marketing budget
MS making adjustments to policies, emphasizes the positives, why it is an advantage to consumers
MS offering subscription model, i.e. pay between 199 and 299 in store.

it's becoming too late, IMO. After a certain saturation point 'failure' can become Xbone's surname, and no matter what MS does to assuage consumers (wrt. policy backtracking), no matter what games they lock as exclusive people just won't want an Xbone because of all the it's 'nobody else want's it' mindshare it's built.

and PS4 will just succeed because it will be seen as what 'everybody wants' etc.

we can only work with the data provided. in this case 32 people are in game, 19 of which playing MW2 - so we can conclude 60% (19/32) of gamers are full of shit

bearing in mind that media/internet manipulation is significantly higher in this case, I would estimate 90% of (console) gamers are full of shit post-e3, and if we remove those clowns from the sample then XBO and PS4 are much closer in votes

I would estimate that your estimation has absolutely no factual backing to it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
It's funny how some people say that Xbone cannot fail because it's from MS, marketing budget, brand loyalty etc. etc.

Like history didn't show us that everyone can fall in this industry, no matter who he is. And MS will take quite a fall with this new console, I'm sure of it.

There is no way that poll was legitimate right? If I where running a poll and saw results like these, I would just assume that somebody is rigging the thing. I assume that's why it got pulled.

I think that Xbox One is a spectacularly flawed console, but only getting 5% of the vote seems impossible.

meow

Did this poll let you vote for only one choice? I don't think this poll is meaningless, but preference of one console doesn't mean there isn't overlap who would get both from the people who voted.

The more I think about in which order I should purchase the Xbone or PS4, the more I'm closer to leaning with the PS4 at launch and getting an Xbone when Titan comes out. This is coming from a huge Gears and Halo fan, and I cant stand the PS3 controller. Fuck you MS.

Did this poll let you vote for only one choice? I don't think this poll is meaningless, but preference of one console doesn't mean there isn't overlap who would get both from the people who voted.

I highly doubt that there are very many people out there who are going to be double dipping on launch day. The middle class ain't that rich.

PS4, PS+ and 1-2 games is at least $500
Xbone + Gold + 1-2 games is at least $600

Who is coughing up over 1 grand at launch?

people don't like change, it's natural to have some initial resistance, but eventually consumers will realise that always online is the way forward

everyone in game is bumped to the front, not just mw2 players, so surely we would be seeing a larger mix of games

the other 800 probably have the game too but I'm guessing they were sleeping at the time this pic was taken

internet hype of PS4 is through the roof too, and price isn't a factor since you don't have to pledge money towards a console in order to vote

I'll provide you that when you show me data of how many of these voters have preordered

This whole post is pretty depressing. Talk about burying your head In the sand

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I don't know if you realized this, but the Xbox One requires an Internet connection to work. Dismissing what the Internet thinks is a bit strange.

troushers

I was around at the time, and I can tell you based on personal recollection, that image is full of shit and shouldn't be used as proof of anything. Firstly, the Steam group was open to all, and a bunch of people who had no intention of boycotting MW2 openly boasted about joining that group for a laugh, probably to troll the chat.

Secondly, it was set up early in response to a bunch of bad PR that MW got. IIRC, it was the lack of dedicated servers, some clan stuff and a bunch of tone deaf quotes from Robert Bowling about the PC version supporting 'mouse and keyboard' like that meant a thing. Anyway, there was diversity of opinion, and people got won over or took the devs assurances eventually and jumped in.

Finally, that point on the list was cherry picking to show the largest number of recidivists.

All this is O/T. Apologies. But that images common interpretation is garbage.

I've been trying to pre-order the PS4 in Canada and I simply can't. Sold out everywhere. Some of the retail guys were actually laughing at how people keep asking for PS4 when they were sold out long ago and they can't even sell half of their Xbone units.
EB should still be taking preorders, not sure if you would get one launch day though.

TheHater

What is stopping Sony from matching the price of xbox one game? 3rd Party games will be the same price on both the PS4 and Xbox One.

40,000 people, at the end of the day, isn't a huge amount when you consider that the units based for these consoles are in the tens of millions, but I still enjoy laughing at this.

2000 people is a good polling size. 40,000 - if representative, which this is not - would probably put the margin of error at something like 0.5% at 95% confidence.

Sorral

frustrated.gif

I'm going to keep making this observation.

Microsoft made a console for where they honestly believe the gaming market is going to be in a few years, but forgot to see what the gaming market of today is going to feel about it.

It's their New Coke, where Coke polled people blindly to see if they preferred the taste of New Coke to regular Coke (which they did) but forgot to ask them how they'd feel about New Coke replacing regular Coke.

which they were very strongly against. all because Pepsi looked like it was threatening to overtake them in sales. which it never did.

They planned for the future, but forgot to check with the customers of today if those were good plans.

The new coke is better than the old coke. The new xbox is not better than the old xbox. It's worse.

nbthedude

Why hasn't GAF had it's own poll as to which game system people are investing in in 2013:

-Xbox One
-PS4
-Wii U
-PC

Pick all that apply.

I would really like to see what the break down would be but apparently I can't post polls.

Dawg

Im trying to think about this mess objectively...and i think MS jumped the gun 10 years early and also doesnt have the consumer trust needed for it. Ideally in the future everything is in the cloud, but internet has to be super fast and reliable with no caps, and the company has to be trustworthy enough to do something about our digital content if their company falls apart or moves on. Either way MS has neither. They are running a gamble that getting in early will offset the blow done to their users...or something like that.

Launch will be sold out. If it isnt, then id say thats a disaster.

I remember when the Wii U was supposed to be sold out.... it ain't gonna happen. Times have changed. I bet every supermarket will have plenty of stock.

What a misleading article. You cannot stream PS3 games at launch, in fact I don't think they ever officially said that you will ever be able to.
Just that it is the plan.

a single point is a little dubious and the WHOLE article is 'misleading'? the ps4 has a solution for backwards compatibility, the xbone does not. it's as simple as that.

VDgOuOo.gif

Top Bottom