• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

Brashnir

I think the controller debate might be the dumbest one in all of video games. Do people seriously have trouble with using anything really? I pick up the 360 controller I use it all is well. I pick up the dualshock I use it all as well. I excel at games with both, there's no real learning curve or anything. It's just slightly different thumb placement.

It's one debate I'll truly never grasp in my mind. I can't wrap my head around it. It's one thing to simply prefer one over the other but to the point where you simply cannot use the other is just weird to me. Its reached the point where I'm starting to pity those who can't just pick up and use whatever because they can't handle it for whatever reason. Give me some fuckin logitech ass random ass controller and I'll use that too. Give me a Wii U controller and I'll use it no problems.

While I'm perfectly capable of playing just fine with either controller, my issue with the Dualshock1/2/3 design is that it's based on the legacy PS1 controller with the two sticks tacked on. When I pick up the controller, the shape of the handles naturally puts my thumbs directly on the D-Pad and buttons, which makes sense considering that's what it was originally designed to do.

The Original Xbox controllers each had their own ergonomics issues, which I'm glad to be rid of, but the 360 controller really got it right. The shape of the 360 controller naturally puts my thumbs halfway between the buttons/right stick and left stick/dpad, meaning both are just slightly off natural placement.

Thankfully, Sony seem to have finally redesigned the controller with more ergonomic handles, which should (hopefully - I haven't used one yet) make the controller fit more naturally into the hand based on its various functions.

At the end of the day, it's not really a huge deal for me, but I'd prefer the overall ergonomics of my controller to be more similar to the 360 than the dualshocks. I don't really care so much whether or not the sticks are here or there, just so that they and the buttons/d-pad are equidistant from natural thumb resting point, rather than having one function directly on resting point, and the other a 3cm reach away.

Top Bottom