• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

MercuryLS

Banned
See, the Dual Shock was designed back when the D-Pad was the dominant input for the left thumb. And where is it? Offset. Now games have changed and the sticks are the primary input but Sony hasn't adapted the controller.

I used to agree with you. My biggest issue with controllers that have the left analogue in the primary position is that it makes the d-pad useless. Even if the d-pad on the 360 controller was good, it would still be shitty to use because it's in a secondary position and it's awkward. I play a lot of indie titles and I prefer to play sidescrollers with a d-pad, with the Dualshock it's great cause the d-pad is in the primary position. With analogues it doesn't matter if they're in the primary or secondary position, if it really did matter no one would be able to use the right stick comfortably.

I used to agree with you. My biggest issue with controllers that have the left analogue in the primary position is that it makes the d-pad useless. Even if the d-pad on the 360 controller was good, it would still be shitty to use because it's in a secondary position and it's awkward. I play a lot of indie titles and I prefer to play sidescrollers with a d-pad, with the Dualshock it's great cause the d-pad is in the primary position. With analogues it doesn't matter if they're in the primary or secondary position, if it really did matter no one would be able to use the right stick comfortably.

Fair enough and it clearly comes down to the games you prefer to play the most. For D-Pad heavy games the DS3 is great. The games I play (mostly shooters, WRPG's and stuff like Bastion on XBLA) don't use the D-Pad as much. Although the first Metro game became unplayable for me because the switching between the gasmask was completely broken using the D-Pad on the 360 controller. Luckily I just borrowed the game.

This doesn't even matter, because most people who are going to buy either an XB1 or PS4 will buy them based on who advertises the most and has the best games. Consumers won't hear what the vocal minority has to say so it will be interesting to see who's winning after the first year. I'm buying both so I don't give a shit who wins as long as I get great games.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This doesn't even matter, because most people who are going to buy either an XB1 or PS4 will buy them based on who advertises the most and has the best games. Consumers won't hear what the vocal minority has to say so it will be interesting to see who's winning after the first year. I'm buying both so I don't give a shit who wins as long as I get great games.
You should care who wins. They represent a different philosophy of consumer ownership.

StuBurns

Banned
The right stick is usually reserved for camera and such, it's nowhere near as important as the left one. Most games pretty much only use the left stick, while the right stick is used 'occasionally' to adjust camera.
Occasionally? That depends on the genre. For shooters, you're using the right stick over the facebuttons a lot, I would imagine way over 90%.

Eusis

I still find it amazing how people cannot adjust to both. I have always done it automatically without thought. Grip the 360 controller fairly tightly, let the DS3 "sit" inbetween my hands.

That said, ive never got the criticisms about L2/R2 either.
It's not about comfort for each controller, so long as it's not D-Pad focused I'm comfortable with the 360's too and evey want the X1's controller on PC, it's just that specific way of holding comes off as completely insane to me. But then I guess everyone's hands are different and so for me leaning more towards relaxed, diagonal without the palm right on top of the controller works best.

Though it sounds completely crazy to me still to put that much of your palm on top and just the thumb upwards, nevermind the shoulder buttons being somewhat less comfortable to use (likely really wearing down in the long run.)
See, the Dual Shock was designed back when the D-Pad was the dominant input for the left thumb. And where is it? Offset. Now games have changed and the sticks are the primary input but Sony hasn't adapted the controller.
While that's true, as the other poster said I can't really comfortably use the D-Pad in that position, not without either a significant controller overhaul or the face buttons being on the same level, and even the latter seems better if the D-Pad/buttons were out a bit more, more like the Saturn, Dreamcast, or Wii U Game Pad rather than Xbox or Wii U Pro Controller.

Plus I think it's just good to have choice, not everyone having the same exact controller as the 360 did.

Did you see Titanfall? Enough said. Conversation over.

Perhaps a large portion of the XB1 supporting community does not also vote in Amazon polls. I feel that PS4 would have won anyway, but that kind of landslide may have other causes.

As someone who frequently switches between the 360 Pad for PC games and the DS3 for, well, PS3, I really cannot fathom how passionate these debates about stick placement are. It makes exactly zero difference to me where the left stick in place is located. We're talking about a couple of centimeters in one direction or the other. Some people here are arguing it and drawing diagrams as if the method that's not their favorite is somehow completely unusable.

Aselith

spoiler: gamers are shallow

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

I count 17 out of 833. So approximately .02 percent of the total are playing MW2. Seems to have worked out ok.

Eusis

As someone who frequently switches between the 360 Pad for PC games and the DS3 for, well, PS3, I really cannot fathom how passionate these debates about stick placement are. It makes exactly zero difference to me where the left stick in place is located. We're talking about a couple of centimeters in one direction or the other. Some people here are arguing it and drawing diagrams as if the method that's not their favorite is somehow completely unusable.
Honestly, for 90% of 3D games it doesn't matter, the last 10 percent is just a matter of being able to touch the D-Pad with my index finger for something like switching items while moving in Dark Souls (which may be enough reason in and of itself to be honest.)

No, it's for 2D or D-Pad focused games where it goes from arbitrary to critical, as I and another outlined. Though in the case of the PS4 there's also the touch pad in the center that needs to be accommodated for, it's why the 360 doesn't have one of its own.

EDIT: And I have to admit, thinking about it IF I could get an X1 for cheap and my brother did too I might OK with it, though I'd definitely have to be taking advantage of their library feature. Basically I'd want to be VERY miserly with the X1, whereas PS4 I'd be more eager to get games for higher.

MercuryLS

Banned
Fair enough and it clearly comes down to the games you prefer to play the most. For D-Pad heavy games the DS3 is great. The games I play (mostly shooters, WRPG's and stuff like Bastion on XBLA) don't use the D-Pad as much. Although the first Metro game became unplayable for me because the switching between the gasmask was completely broken using the D-Pad on the 360 controller. Luckily I just borrowed the game.

Early this gen I played nothing but shooters and I loved the Xbox 360 controller. As I started to play more indie games, stuff like Super Meat Boy, N+, Mark of the Ninja, etc. I came to really dislike the controller. It's great for shooters, but it's not as versatile as the DS3. The DS3 has a whole host of issues though and I'm happy they've been address with the DS4. With the DS4 I can see it being good to great with most genres, with the Xbox One controller I don't think it will be great with any d-pad heavy games. If you don't really play games that utilize the d-pad all that much, I see why you'd prefer the Xbox's asymmetrical layout.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The right stick is usually reserved for camera and such, it's nowhere near as important as the left one. Most games pretty much only use the left stick, while the right stick is used 'occasionally' to adjust camera. It's not important enough to stick it in a dominant position, certainly not more important than the buttons on the right side.
You can't be serious. Right stick is the one that requires precision and finesse in 90% of the games made nowadays. Anything that requires aiming/shooting etc.

ERC198X

Banned
Both of you, please elaborate on the handle comfortability and the new triggers, whether or not they are mushy or springy. I would very very very very very much appreciate it.

the rubber grips (on the handle) make a hell of a difference comfort wise. I just can't rant enough about the feeling that the rubber had on my palms (it's aesthetically pleasing to the eye to boot!). the triggers are a definite upgrade over the ds3. my index fingers felt firmly in place, as if as there was no way they would slide off. I loved it. springy is your answer.

i'm excited enough to say that i can't wait for YOU too try it out and feel what i felt :)

Vespene

The way I see it, the majority of consoles are still played by the 8 to 21 year old brackets. To that crowd, the console is either a toy or a hobby. They don't get consoles because of it's TV capabilities or living room hub family prowess. Many consoles are on dorms, kids rooms and messy teenager man caves. For 25 years consoles have established themselves as part of the culture in these environments. To these crowd, the PS4 speaks directly to them. Microsoft is aiming or the tech savvy dads that have a big living room and want something for everyone. There is a market for that, but it is not close to being as reliable as the market the PS4 is aiming for.

Jac_Solar

All this arguing that people who favor the dualshock design as "the minority", well...

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/31/xbox-one-vs-ps4-the-results-ign-versus

37,206 Users can't be wrong :)

*waits for the "only our opinion counts" 360 pad lovers to come down and refute this post

downplay all you like but the numbers speak for themselves

But how did they poll it? Did they toss that poll in when they noticed that the overwhelming majority voted for PS4? Was it a separate poll from the start?

It doesn't matter what people enjoy anyways -- that's their preference. I know which controller I prefer, you know which controller you prefer; the only worthy discussion here is explaining the reasons for why one enjoys one over the other - I don't understand why people prefer the DS3 over the Xbox 360 controller, since the DS3 is much more uncomfortable to me, though. But I'm sure I could get used to it. It's really not that big of a deal.

Oh, and only our opinion counts.

Occasionally? That depends on the genre. For shooters, you're using the right stick over the facebuttons a lot, I would imagine way over 90%.

You can't be serious. Right stick is the one that requires precision and finesse in 90% of the games made nowadays. Anything that requires aiming/shooting etc.

Oh yeah, I completely mixed the triggers up. I apologize. I haven't played on a console in a long time. In that case, it's probably just because of the comfortable grip. The DS3 is so small.

Again:
MIlCt0g.jpg
:p

Darte

Xbox controller feels so weird, especially if, like the pic above shows, you want to use the shoulder buttons.

Eusis

Were his hands broken when he used the DS3?

x1OZQa0.jpg
Now that's just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. At least I can see the other one as sort of like how some people call soda "pop."

EDIT: Unless the point of that is to show how you'd have to hold it to touch both shoulder buttons remotely comfortably anyway. I just took the design to mean you don't.

Verachi

Banned
Glad to see MS get pimp slapped again. Did they take the poll out of their face book page? I can't see it anymore. At least I voted before they stopped the voting.

Brad from Giant Bomb is definitely a 360 guy and came out of Sony's booth saying the DS4 was a huge improvement over 3. I don't have a problem with the DS3, but it's not in the same ergonomic league as say, the Wii U gamepad. So I'm glad they've made strides there.

Takuya

Banned
Both of you, please elaborate on the handle comfortability and the new triggers, whether or not they are mushy or springy. I would very very very very very much appreciate it.

It overall feels better in your hands when you hold it, the handles are longer and are slightly bigger than that of the DualShock 3. The triggers felt nice, a slight curve that allows your fingers to kind of rest on them nicely. They didn't feel overly springy or mushy, I'd say a nice balance in between the two.

Also, the touchpad has a nice soft click to it.

KaYotiX

Banned
I highly doubt that there are very many people out there who are going to be double dipping on launch day. The middle class ain't that rich.

PS4, PS+ and 1-2 games is at least $500
Xbone + Gold + 1-2 games is at least $600

Who is coughing up over 1 grand at launch?

I will be dropping at least $1500. Start saving now its not that big of deal. Yes im middle class, work my ass off for the hobby I enjoy :)

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Got to love relying on online polls to show real life results.

To be fair, Palm did have the best smartphone OS for a very long time and we PRE users are still a devoted bunch. If anything your image gives me more confidence in the validity of online polls.
Or not.

Top Bottom