• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

I'm going to keep making this observation.

Microsoft made a console for where they honestly believe the gaming market is going to be in a few years, but forgot to see what the gaming market of today is going to feel about it.

It's their New Coke, where Coke polled people blindly to see if they preferred the taste of New Coke to regular Coke (which they did) but forgot to ask them how they'd feel about New Coke replacing regular Coke.

which they were very strongly against. all because Pepsi looked like it was threatening to overtake them in sales. which it never did.

They planned for the future, but forgot to check with the customers of today if those were good plans.

Anth0ny

I wonder what will have the worse launch

Wii U, which people didn't know existed at launch (and still don't)

or

Xbox One, which people sure as fuck know exists, but may be facing the most negative press pre-launch a console has ever experienced, and is in direct competition with a console that is being presented as the second coming of Christ

hmmm

Tobor

Microsoft made a console for where they honestly believe the gaming market is going to be in a few years, but forgot to see what the gaming market of today is going to feel about it.

It's their New Coke, where Coke polled people blindly to see if they preferred the taste of New Coke to regular Coke (which they did) but forgot to ask them how they'd feel about New Coke replacing regular Coke.

which they were very strongly against. all because Pepsi looked like it was threatening to overtake them in sales. which it never did.

They planned for the future, but forgot to check with the customers of today if those were good plans.

Good analogy. This could very well be a New Coke scenario.

only 40,000 of the 150+ million console owners voted on this poll. It too is damn useless and doesn't mean shit.

If it was a scientific poll, a sample size of 40k would result in an error of approximately +-0.5%.

Of course, it's not a scientific poll, so the error will be much higher. I doubt it'll be +-45%, however.

SeanR1221

Perfect analogy. We didn't ask for this, MS.

I just really hope people stick to their guns and not support the Xbox One and its horrible, non consumer friendly policies.

Amazon probably ended the poll early as to not upset MS, and not risk their chance of being a select retailer who can sell used Xbox One games.

Tuck

40,000 people, at the end of the day, isn't a huge amount when you consider that the units based for these consoles are in the tens of millions, but I still enjoy laughing at this.

40,000 is a pretty large sample size. Perfectly fine to draw statistical conclusions from it. Not saying its perfect, but I would not say it is meaningless either.

What a misleading article. You cannot stream PS3 games at launch, in fact I don't think they ever officially said that you will ever be able to.
Just that it is the plan.
Andrew House announced that Gaikai-based streamed PS3 games would be available in 2014 in the US on the E3 stage.

The cloud service will, in all likelihood, cost money.

Andrew House announced that Gaikai-based streamed PS3 games would be available in 2014 in the US on the E3 stage.

The cloud service will, in all likelihood, cost money.

I'm hoping that I can stream games I already own free of charge, but expecting that won't be the case. I could prove ownership by putting them in my PS4. That or Sony can see I own them if I bought them digitally. Subscribers accessing the wider library could help subsidise this. Either way, it beats the NOTHING MS are doing.

There's no arguing that whatever it amounts to, Sony are trying to do something. Even if it costs money and only covers a percentage of games. It is better than nothing.

Demon Ice

Banned
spoiler: gamers are shallow

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

Spoiler: That's the first page of an 800+ member group. 90% of the group did not buy the game.

So tired of seeing that image crop up in every thread like this.

adamma666

Hahah. My wife told me the other day that we aren't allowed to get the Xbone if I was considering it. She said she heard on the news that it would require some camera that would be spying on us and passing information to the government. None of that is true, but I love that news somewhere is spreading that around.

Hahaha, same here! She only knows that I was all about Xbox the past years and during E3 she watched something on TV (TV! TV! TV!) about this topic and told me that she does not want this device in the house. So, the decision what to get was taken off of me.

imNri7oa2eutl.gif

Demon Ice

Banned
hold on! Are you saying that cboat said that the ps4 will get Titanfall at some point?

Makes sense it would be a timed exclusive / MS moneyhat. It's an EA game running on Source engine, there's nothing there that the PS4 can't do. All that bullshit about the "Cloud" just means dedicated servers, PS4 has those too.

As lopsided as the system sales seem on these charts, the game sales charting should be cause for further concern at Redmond.

At a $499 price point, people aren't going to be as inclined to buy multiple games with their new systems (the 360 had a launch tie ratio of ~4 games in the US!)

I highly doubt publishers would abandon the Xbox in the same way they're flocking from the Wii U, but they'll certainly prioritize the PS4 if the SKUs start selling better. Especially given the system has more power to work with and the tools and the system are supposed to be easier to develop for.
hold on! Are you saying that cboat said that the ps4 will get Titanfall at some point?
1-year timed.

Maybe earlier if the XB1 fails to catch.

Nicktendo86

I'm hoping that I can stream games I already own free of charge, but expecting that won't be the case. I could prove ownership by putting them in my PS4. That or Sony can see I own them if I bought them digitally. Subscribers accessing the wider library could help subsidise this. Either way, it beats the NOTHING MS are doing.

There's no arguing that whatever it amounts to, Sony are trying to do something. Even if it costs money and only covers a percentage of games. It is better than nothing.
That would be PERFECT, insert the ps3 game, console verifies it is a genuine disk, ps4 allows you to stream the game. My og ps3 died a couple of months ago but I really want to play the last of us and a few other games, I would love it if I could just pick up a ps4 and stream ps3 games next year.

itsgreen

Comparing the poll to a 60$ product which had hype through the roof with no other competition makes sense.

What this mostly says there is still a shit that can happen between now in November:

MS marketing budget
MS making adjustments to policies, emphasizes the positives, why it is an advantage to consumers
MS offering subscription model, i.e. pay between 199 and 299 in store.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
He said it's multiplat after 1 year.

Whoa when did he say that? That would be a huge shocker at next year's e3 if he is right. Because journalist and Microsoft have been talking about Titanfall being the biggest exclusive ever for any console in history.

From what House said, and some comments I recall Yoshida saying, it sounds more like their intent is to provide a streaming game service that would provide a catalogue of games, rather than any particular game you already own; with the lofty (very) long term end-goal being that someone on this service would have access to the entire PlayStation back-catalogue.

Hattori

Banned
Happy Father's Day GAF!

And speaking of dads, mine just told me about "Microsoft's new video game machine" and that I shouldn't get it because it's not consumer friendly. I just had the biggest grin while talking to him because he was telling me all this like I didn't already know. My dad is Harley riding guy and couldn't care any less about electronics much less videogames, but he was concerned enough to let me know. This is purely anecdotal, however it does not bode well for Microsoft in the near future.

liquidtmd

Banned
At this point all Sony have to do is keep to their E3 manifesto, aim for a US/EU late Oct/Early Nov and crucially make sure they can get a remotely sensible number of consoles out there in the first shipments.

I understand demand will inevitably outstrip supply but Im getting a slight suspicion it may get to a point where the first shipment will be pretty much it till early 2014 - with people defaulting to an Xbone as a result, if recent polls like this are to be believed

nasos_333

Lets see

PS4 is stonger, cheaper and has far less restrictions plus a great indie support system and full JRPG support that is one of the major factors separating consoles from PC

So it is great to know PS4 got that high, dedication to the gamer should be rewarded

Jomjom

Banned
What a misleading article. You cannot stream PS3 games at launch, in fact I don't think they ever officially said that you will ever be able to.

Actually I think they said on stage that streaming PS3 games will be there in 2014.

You know that, I know that, and The Sun newspaper is one of the most dirty rags in the country.

But for some God forsaken reason it's also the most popular national newspaper in the UK.

Top Bottom