• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default sells one million worldwide (400K Japan, 600K West)

Glass Rebel

The game's listed as 60 hours long on How Long To Beat, I can't even imagine trying to pick that up when the general consensus is "turns to shit halfway through". Good to know they're much shorter if you don't do optional stuff, I still don't think I can bear to play this though. JRPGs have a huge problem respecting players time and I can't ignore a red flag like that which I've heard from several people who played the game to completion.

What's the actual (rough) gametime breakdown? From the complaints
especially about the apparently optional boss rematches everyone hates because the strategy is the same
I assume basically everyone (or at least everyone who complained) went and did all the optional stuff. Is this optional as in "see an extra scene that's not especially plot relevant if you do it" or "actually unlock a significant set of items/jobs/plot explanation" optional?

It's a miracle that Bravely Default sold this well with such hyperbole surrounding it. I mean, anyone who says this is straight up lying.

random25

I don't really get the people that are so down with the later chapters. Sure, can be a chore, but they are not game-breaking in any stretch. I've played much worse, and because I enjoyed the battle system and tough boss fights, I really enjoyed the later half of the game more than the first half actually.

But with the people behind BD taking feedback to heart, I'm sure the 2nd installment will be much better. Hope this will be a new console franchise that will take off for SE so that they are not too tied with Final Fantasy, which they are not doing well at continuing.

FryHole

especially about the apparently optional boss rematches everyone hates because the strategy is the same
I assume basically everyone (or at least everyone who complained) went and did all the optional stuff. Is this optional as in "see an extra scene that's not especially plot relevant if you do it" or "actually unlock a significant set of items/jobs/plot explanation" optional?

The majority of it is the former, and some of them barely qualify as an extra scene (others are great, it varies tremendously). I think it's reasonable to say you're three quarters of the way through the game before the controversial point happens ("halfway" refers to chapter number rather than game time).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The game's listed as 60 hours long on How Long To Beat, I can't even imagine trying to pick that up when the general consensus is "turns to shit halfway through". Good to know they're much shorter if you don't do optional stuff, I still don't think I can bear to play this though. JRPGs have a huge problem respecting players time and I can't ignore a red flag like that which I've heard from several people who played the game to completion.

You get a little extra character development for those boss characters if you do the fights. If you don't do them, each of the last four chapters basically amounts to
going through the four crystal temples, which have shortcuts opened since you already beat them once, and fighting a relatively easy boss at the end.
And since you can turn off encounters for that and have your airship you can do that very quickly. Chapters 7 and 8 mix up the optional bosses though,
you fight three or four bosses at once, and they work together to beat you.
For example,
there is a fight in Chapter 8 where one asterisk holder weakens your party to fire, and then the summoner uses the fire summon to 1HKO you on the first round even at max level, so you have to strategize around that.

I don't remember exactly how my own playtime broke down, but I put more time in it than I needed to since I maxed all the jobs on all the characters and hit level 99 in the process. That's totally unnecessary for beating the game and even the optional bosses. I'd say the first four chapters easily make up 75% of the "mandatory" play-time though, if not more.

It's a miracle that Bravely Default sold this well with such hyperbole surrounding it. I mean, anyone who says this is straight up lying.

Yes, I can't understand why people are going so hyperbolic with this game.
Of course,
chapter 5 and 6
are kinda tedious but seriously, it took me like 3 hours at most. unless the game is 6 hours long, I must have missed something about the "half the game part". Chapter
7 and 8 are the one with the recycled dialogues for the main story, but the sidequests are just wonderful.
I think that if they mixed the
story part of 5 and 6 with the sidequests of 7 and 8, it would've felt a lot better, making it a two chapter part.
Sure, the execution is weak, but far from the shit people are making of it. Also, you're not really
redoing the whole thing. You can just go straight to the bosses and it would take you less than an hour for a chapter.

I really enjoyed Bravely Default. Took my time with chapters 1-4, blasted through 5-7 in 90 minutes just doing the handful of compulsory temple battles, and then loved the final battle. Just epic.
Worth quoting for every page.

The gameplay mechanics and the structure of the game itself make the subjectively woe-some part of the game almost entirely optional.

It's a pretty tedious 90 minutes of zero encounters and 4x speed set to easy, but you don't have to do any of the side quests in those chapters unless you are a completionist.

Somnid

Great game, would have preferred the latter half to be handled differently but I legit did all the optional stuff. Great game, best RPG since Xenoblade and best Final Fantasy since the PS2 at least.

L~A

The gameplay mechanics and the structure of the game itself make the subjectively woe-some part of the game almost entirely optional.

It's a pretty tedious 90 minutes of zero encounters and 4x speed set to easy, but you don't have to do any of the side quests in those chapters unless you are a completionist.

Amen to that. And if you're underlevelled in this game, you really have to do it on purpose.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That's an awesome news indeed!

By the way, do we have a million sellers counter for 3DS? Just for curiosity sake.

Phenomic

400k in Japan and 600k in the West?

I'm genuinely surprised by these numbers.

I feel like this is what always gets me about localization and bringing stuff from Japan. I'm not going to say it pans out every time, but as far as I'm aware as long as you draw up the correct Buzz... and your GAME IS ACTUALLY REALLY WELL MADE, it's generally going to do okay because people are always itching for stuff that's perceived as above par.

Now if you're development budget is out of wack and your expectations are too high which seems to also be a huge problem to me in this industry... ironically the first example also comes from Square with Tomb Raider, then I don't know what to say. You shouldn't ever be in a position where you're selling (was it 3 million copies I believe?) and turn out in the red.

redcrayon

Yeah, just in case it's putting people off, chapters 5-8 are misleadingly titled- they don't make up half of the game unless you really want to complete everything, it's possible to burn through 5,6 and 7 in under 30 minutes each. The first four chapters are the meat of the game and comprise about 90% of it if you aren't a completionist, virtually everything after chapter four is the runup to the endgame in chapter 8.

I think I spent around ten hours in each of the first four chapters, then 30 minutes each in 5,6 and 7, then about 3-4 hours in chapter 8.

Lexxism

I'm pretty happy for this game. It definitely deserved this sales. Now waiting for the 2nd one. Don't screw it up SE!

ohlawd

well deserved.

I like this game more than others so I'm pleased with these numbers. Very hyped for Bravely Second.

FryHole

Also, just in case it's putting people off, chapters 5-8 are misleadingly titled- they don't make up half of the game unless you really want to complete everything, it's possible to burn through 5,6 and 7 in under 30 minutes each. The first four chapters are the meat of the game and comprise about 90% of it if you aren't a completionist, virtually everything after chapter four is the runup to the endgame in chapter 8.

I think, to be fair, it's only in hindsight that you realise this. I for one, on seeing this SPOILERIFIC IMAGE, let it sink in for a moment and then sighed and plodded on, not knowing any better.

Luckily we're now able to offer the benefit of our hard-earned wisdom to others ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's very strong, especially for a game that was greenlit only to release in Japan.

The ratio between Japan and the West is about the same as recent Final Fantasy games as well.

WAITING

6VVdeS4l.jpg

tumblr_inline_mmczztww6kua.jpg

The Don

Banned
Great news. I sunk 30 hours into it before I gave up. Some of the boss fights were just hell. Eagerly anticipating the sequel.

redcrayon

I think, to be fair, it's only in hindsight that you realise this. I for one, on seeing this SPOILERIFIC IMAGE, let it sink in for a moment and then sighed and plodded on, not knowing any better.

Luckily we're now able to offer the benefit of our hard-earned wisdom to others ;)
Yeah, fair point.

It's a bit of a shock seeing all the sidequest icons pop up as the JRPG completionist in me demanded I check them out, but after doing two, I realised what was going on and just quietly ignored them :)

Very nice!

Although it's a bit weird that it took the Fire Emblem series its 13th entry (Awakening) before it broken 1 million worldwide.

Guess Square is onto a winner here. Now about that Bravely Second...

jackal27

Banned
Yaaaaay! I'm so happy for this game! It's pretty much the RPG I had been waiting for for so long! Here's hoping its success will mean some more quality JRPGs for the west.

I mean yeah the pacing takes a hit, but Bravely Default is a beautiful game. I think budget really was the limiting factor and I hope the sequel gets improved on that front.

But the battle mechanics are extremely solid. One of the best around and genuinely refreshing. Also all the customisation options, not just of the job system but also for general play experience is the best I've seen since TWEWY, I think.

NeonZ

Very nice!

Although it's a bit weird that it took the Fire Emblem series its 13th entry (Awakening) before it broken 1 million worldwide.

Is there even any million seller SRPG aside from Awakening? SRPGs in general seem to be considered more niche than standard RPGs. Well, I guess there's Final Fantasy Tactics, but that had the FF brand name when it was much stronger.

Zweizer

Banned
Pretty good news. I hope it means SE will be more active in localizing the sequel(s) instead of having Nintendo doing all the work.

sörine

Banned
Is there even any million seller SRPG aside from Awakening? SRPGs in general seem to be considered more niche than standard RPGs. Well, I guess there's Final Fantasy Tactics, but that had the FF brand name when it was much stronger.
Right, FF Tactics, Advance and A-2 each did over a million worldwide.

If you combine every release of Tactics Ogre (SFC, PS1, Saturn, VC and the PSP remake) it should be over a million too but that's sort of cheating. I bet the same's true for Shining Force 1-2 when you start getting into emulated digital rereleases and multigame compilations.

NolbertoS

Took Nintendo to publish it, for SE to realize that JRPGs can still be a moneymaker. Now where my DQ VII 3DS english translation SE. The 3DS is barren for JRPGs now until Bravely Second.

batbeg

Still haven't bought this even though I was hyped to hell and loved the demo. Just find it difficult to sit down and play my 3ds often. I planned to buy it digitally day one but didn't have storage so just put it off.

I shall rectify this next payday.

It is definately a flawed game, but man, what a nice experience it was.

The second half is not nearly as bad as people are acting.

I´m in for Bravely Second !

KHlover

Banned

So you didn't learn in the first four chapters that blue quests are not necessary for story progression? Sorry, that's entirely on you ;)
:p

Bruno MB

sörine;123000889 said:
Right, FF Tactics, Advance and A-2 each did over a million worldwide.

If you combine every release of Tactics Ogre (SFC, PS1, Saturn, VC and the PSP remake) it should be over a million too but that's sort of cheating. I bet the same's true for Shining Force 1-2 when you start getting into emulated digital rereleases and multigame compilations.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift fell short of the million mark. Latest reported figured (March 31, 2009) had it a 670,000 units sold.

I always thought that a new Final Fantasy Tactics for 3DS was a lock, even more after the great reception Fire Emblem: Awakening had. But nowadays you can't expect anything from Square Enix.

Mlatador

Banned
Pretty sure I read an interview where they said they went for the chibi-look specifically because they were aiming for higher sales :p

Well, it's wishful thinking on my part, but I do wonder if a non-chibi look would have reached an even larger audience, especially considering how well it did in the west.

Koppai

They should focus on a worldwide simultaneous release...but this is SquaRe Enix after all. Time to step up Nintendo, y'all have been doing simultaneous releases for most of your games lately!!!

Top Bottom