• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2 crashes on PS4 Pro and 1080p?

I've got one of the real loud PS4 Pros and I'm a little worried.

I'm planning on picking Destiny 2 up this weekend -- I'll post my unit # if it crashes. It'd be helpful if more people crashing did the same.

Animagne

As other people mentioned, you have faulty PS4 Pro, and probably should be crashing with RoTR and Diablo 3 as well. I was personally waiting for release to see if it would get better, but I'm sending my console to Sony this week and switching over to my regular PS4 for now.

Unlike Diablo 3, which is playable after patches, RoTR and Destiny 2 should be crashing frequently. I was unable to complete first mission (or play for 5 minutes in tomb raider) without the system freezing. So if anyone has been able to play for 3 hours without issues, you might not have a faulty PS4 Pro.

gibration

I have a launch unit, no external hard drive, no vr, boost mode off, while playing on a 1080p monitor. :(

I've played Diablo 3 and RotTR without any issues as well

FingerBang

I played a few hours of D2. Got to level 9, unlocked the 3rd world. 1080p, PS4 Pro, Beta fw.

Not a single crash. My console isn't loud at all with Destiny (different story with Horizon).

Played about 12 hours straight. Only one crash. Not sure what caused it but it was hours into playing. Havent had any crash since. Oh and my friend who was playing with me the whole time was running at 4k and did not crash once.

Tarrin

Played about four hours. Pro, 1080p tv. (22 incher as well!)

No crashing/freezing issues. Sound cuts out, but I think my Gold's are dying, or Destiny has weird sound issues going on.

I am lucky in that I have a very quiet Pro, never heard the fans go crazy for more then a few seconds on starting certain games.

Of course, this is my second Pro, since the first one's disc drive snuffed it randomly.

My day one Pro ran into issues with crashes earlier this year with some demanding games -- notably Horizon Zero Dawn -- which would crash multiple times an hour. At the time I did some research and it seemed like a semi-common issue with games that stressed the Pro. Not RRoD common, but common enough that multiple people reported it to Sony support.

I ended up getting it replaced through Sony support and *knock on wood* haven't had any issues since.

Good luck to all.

spad3

Bought a White Pro w/ Destiny 2 last night, transferred everything over from my White Destiny 1 PS4, played D2 for a good 3-4 hours, no issues.

Might be hardware. Here's a DIY solution that might help, fairly time consuming though:

1. Back up your system.
2. Reset (Initialize) your system.
3. Update system post-initialization.
4. Install problematic game.
5. Update problematic game.
6. Run problematic game to see if problem persists.
7. If problem doesn't persist, restore from back up and try again.
7.5. If problem persists post-restore, delete game install and try re-installing.
8. If problem persists, contact Sony for repair.

I was one of those people posting in the Bungie thread linked earlier. During the Beta, I had the same issues people are reporting now - game crashes, and can hard lock the PS4 Pro, sometimes even leading to a checkerboard black and white image appearing. After reading up on the issue, I checked out the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo and had the exact same experience as I was getting the Destiny 2 beta.

Which to me, makes it sound like a hardware issue. Not wanting to be royally disappointed/pissed off on September 6th, I sent in my unit for repairs (and since it was still under warranty). Got the unit back a couple of weeks later and the RotTR demo ran flawlessly. I still wasn't sure that D2 would run without issues - but I felt better about my chances.

And thankfully, for me at least, I've not had any crashes. I did have on instance where the screen went black for a few seconds while on Patrol, but it came right back and I've never seen that issue since.

If you are having this issue with a PS4 Pro, and Destiny 2 keeps crashing - try the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo and see if you are having the issue there as well. If so, contact Sony for a repair job --- it's got to be hardware related. Hopefully, with more exposure on this issue people won't have to pay for a fix if the unit is out of warranty.

ETA:
Might be hardware. Here's a DIY solution that might help, fairly time consuming though:

1. Back up your system.
2. Reset (Initialize) your system.
3. Update system post-initialization.
4. Install problematic game.
5. Update problematic game.
6. Run problematic game to see if problem persists.
7. If problem doesn't persist, restore from back up and try again.
7.5. If problem persists post-restore, delete game install and try re-installing.
8. If problem persists, contact Sony for repair.

Forgot to mention I tried this several times as well. It never worked. Honestly, I'd say save yourself the time and try the RotTR demo first. If it's happening there, I'd practically guarantee that the issue is hardware related and won't be fixed by going through those steps above. (Not saying not to try them - but that was my experience. And man that process does take a LOOOONG time)

hEist

welp, it seems this error hits also some standard ps4 users.
Already saw 5+ people reporting that the game crashes with the same error code while matchmaking in crucible.

Marmelade

It does sound exactly like the ROTTR situation.

When I bought my Pro I tried the Tomb Raider demo and it would always crash, more often than not with the checkerboard pattern if I remember correctly.

I at first thought than the issue was with the game as I had no problems otherwise but after checking some forums some said that it was hardware related.
I asked for an exchange from Amazon and had no trouble afterwards.

For people experiencing crashes, try the ROTTR demo and if it also crashes --> RMA

onQ123

Maybe not thread worthy, but at the same time I feel it's important to get this out there.

There are several reports of Destiny 2 crashing when you play on a PS4 Pro and a 1080p TV.

I'm considering picking up the game after work today, but all the reports of problems has me concerned.

Did the person who you got this report from try he game in 4K or did they just assume that this was a 1080P problem?

cakely

PS4 Pro owner here. Launch model, VR breakout, upgraded to 1TB internal SSD, no external HD. Never had any game crash. Destiny 2 beta and now Destiny 2 full version run without any difficulty.

I really sympathize with anyone affected by the issue, it would be a huge disappointment, especially with the launch of a brand-new game. I suspect that when all is said and done this issue will only affect a tiny % of PS4 Pro owners.

IMACOMPUTA

Ok. Never mind. I thought moving to the external drive fixed it.
It's not fixed. Played for 5 minutes and it crashed.
What the FUCK.

Playing on a 4k set.
Error CE-34878-0.

Tomb Raider demo just crashed too.
Great.

Just had my first crash on the pro playing on 4k tv after about 2 hours of play. I was doing a public event and the game crashed. Same error code everyone else is getting. I have the stock hard drive.

anddo0

image.php

I died:))

Hopefully this doesn't happen to my Pro system.

Played 7 hrs last night no issues. 1080p Sony TV with a Pro running Beta 5.0. Three of my friends same deal, albeit different 1080p TVs.

Hope those having issues can find out the cause soon.

Ocirus

Wanted to throw my info in here with the rest. I'm playing on an original launch PS4 Pro and Destiny 2 is, essentially, unplayable for me. I've also had moderate crash issues with both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Diablo III, but little-to-no issues otherwise.

So I guess I should send my system to Sony? Unfortunately I don't have the original receipt (which it seems you need, at least in the US). I went by GameStop today for a reprint but apparently corporate has to email me the receipt, which can take 2 days.

Awesome time for a huge Destiny fan like myself. I'll go cry now.

EDIT (added info): Playing on a 4k tv. Tried unplugging, rebuilding database, etc. Nothin' helps.

Dynomutt

Wanted to throw my info in here with the rest. I'm playing on an original launch PS4 Pro and Destiny 2 is, essentially, unplayable for me. I've also had moderate crash issues with both Rise of the Tomb Raider and Diablo III, but little-to-no issues otherwise.

So I guess I should send my system to Sony? Unfortunately I don't have the original receipt (which it seems you need, at least in the US). I went by GameStop today for a reprint but apparently corporate has to email me the receipt, which can take 2 days.

EDIT (added info): Playing on a 4k tv. Tried unplugging, rebuilding database, etc. Nothin' helps.

Dang. Sorry to hear this man. Hopefully everything works out. Bad timing for a big game surprised this was not seen prior to launch. Come one Sony complacency is no good get on it.

ViolentP

Same boat here. I requested an RMA earlier and all I had to do was provide my serial number.

HigXx

I wish PS or Bungie would give us some acknowledgement about this. Its been nearly a day since we've heard anything

Bad timing for a big game surprised this was not seen prior to launch.

It was an issue during the beta -- I'm actually more surprised it wasn't a bigger deal then than it is now. I guess 'beta' could confer that it was something that could be fixed before launch, but reading through the Bungie forums where the issue was being reported it was clear they didn't know what was going on. And then as more voices chimed in, it became more clear that it's a faulty hardware issue.

I do hope Sony steps up to the plate and does the right thing here. I don't really think there is anything Bungie could do.

Ahasverus

I don't play Destiny but now I'm scared shitless of playing the ROTTR demo.
I had to leave behind my console box as I bought it on a different country while traveling so I'm out of luck with warranty.

I'm scared, man.

Cartho

My god I'd forgotten how satisfying headshotting fallen dregs with a scout rifle is. It's just perfect. The kick in the controller from the recoil, the yellow number, the way it's blasted backwards. Bungie nailed gunplay with this engine. Big time.

Mash83

The game crashed on me earlier. I was doing an adventure in the EDZ. I have a PS4 pro but I also have a 4k tv.

Dunlop

Try the Rise of the Tomb Raider demo. That should give you early warning.
Downloading it now, will check when I get home.

The irony is I bitched to Amazon 2 hours ago about my pre order not being shipped until Sept 12 so they just sent it with one day shipping lol

Dundar

I had the beta crash on me 2 times during its run. PS4 Pro on a 1080p set.
I mean, there's been problems between D2 and Ps4 Pro since 2 months ago and Bungie did nothing. I guess that's saying something.

ViolentP

I've reinstalled the original hard disk that came with my Pro and am now downloading Destiny 2 again. In the end, it will either prove that the hard disk is the issue, or that it isn't.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If it's a faulty first batch of PS4 pros, there's probably nothing anyone can do. Of course Sony should put out some kind of message or something because "4thegamers" but yeah. :p

ViolentP

If it's a faulty first batch of PS4 pros, there's probably nothing anyone can do. Of course Sony should put out some kind of message or something because "4thegamers" but yeah. :p

That was my thought until word got out that some Destiny Pros are suffering the same issue.

Top Bottom