• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
MidnightRider said:
No Ching or Johnson.

THANK GOD!

THERE IS A HEAVEN!

I was a bit surprised about Johnson. I don't like him much, but he seemed to get a lot of time before. I'm happy with the squad.

Thanks for posting the list, guys on the previous page.

Nike makes ugly jerseys, it is sad that England dropped their cool Umbro jersey for the now lame Nike jersey

USA's jersey is lame

Portugal has the worst Nike get up of them all. Away colors should be white and blue like the old royal flag

xbhaskarx

So fairly predictable... the big surprise is Findley over Bedoya.

It looks less likely that Dempsey will be playing forward with four making the team, so if he's midfield that means Holden may not be starting, right?

mYm|17|

gutter_trash said:
Nike makes ugly jerseys, it is sad that England dropped their cool Umbro jersey for the now lame Nike jersey

USA's jersey is lame

Portugal has the worst Nike get up of them all. Away colors should be white and blue like the old royal flag

dude what are you talking about. England is still with Umbro

Get'sMad

Can you buy US tees with a players name/number on the back? Checked World Soccer Shop to no avail.

I always go with the name/number tees for my sports teams since I can't pull off jerseys.

xbhaskarx

modernkicks said:
Can you buy US tees with a players name/number on the back? Checked World Soccer Shop to no avail.

I always go with the name/number tees for my sports teams since I can't pull off jerseys.

I'm not sure where you can buy it online, but this was posted a few pages back.

Maybe you guys will put on another unlikely 2002 run. Slovenia and Algeria aren't exactly powerhouses, and England will be susceptible to media pressure if they suffer even one slip-up in the group stages.

gutter_trash said:
USA's jersey is lame

Yeah they are so lame I currently own Dempsey and Lando's kits.... both bought within the past month.

Hari Seldon said:
Is there a women's team and are they hot?

Yes a few of them are.

Heather Mitts

type that into google

EDIT** Here I will save you the trouble of seeing her.

heather-mitts-wallpa_77031.jpg

I saw this hypothetical US Soccer team if we didn't play any sports, and I must say, its really fucking good, except maybe Floyd Mayweather Jr...:

acrdi9.jpg

xbhaskarx

ConfusingJazz said:
I saw this hypothetical US Soccer team if we didn't play any sports

What reason is there to believe any of those guys would be good soccer players besides pure athleticism.
Michael Jordan is arguably the best basketball player ever and he was a .200 hitter in AA when he tried to play baseball. And I remember all those idiot ESPN basketball analysts used to say Jordan could easily become a professional golfer once he retired, which obviously turned out not to be true.

Get'sMad

xbhaskarx said:
What reason is there to believe any of those guys would be good soccer players besides pure athleticism.
Michael Jordan is arguably the best basketball player ever and he was a .200 hitter in AA when he tried to play baseball.

Also how many REALLY tall soccer players are there? Not many. Being that tall I think makes dribble/controlling the ball a lot tougher than for a guy with a low center of gravity.

Unless of course we're just going to go with good ol' lob it in the box offense.

modernkicks said:
Unless of course we're just going to go with good ol' lob it in the box offense.

That worked stunningly well for England yesterday.

xbhaskarx said:
Michael Jordan is arguably the best basketball player ever and he was a .200 hitter in AA when he tried to play baseball. And I remember all those idiot ESPN basketball analysts used to say Jordan could easily become a professional golfer once he retired, which obviously turned out not to be true.

None, but I am betting dollars to doughnuts that would be better suited for soccer then 99% of the American populace.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Hari Seldon said:
Is there a women's team and are they hot?

The US woman's team is currently the best in the world. Ranked number 1 and having just embarrassed Number 2 ranked Germany in a 4-0 win that made Germany look foolish.

Talon

xbhaskarx said:
Basketball and Soccer are far more relatable as sports than Basketball and Golf/Baseball. The comparison's pretty apt in terms of conditioning, angles, flow, and footwork. Hard to know who has great foot-eye coordination, though.

Also, we've seen enough successful 2/3-sport athletes to reasonably say that great athletes could probably play other sports.

Almost all of these guys in professional sports played multiple sports during High School. Nomar Garciaparra was a stud soccer and football player. Joe Mauer was the same. Cal Ripken always talked about how much of an impact soccer footwork had on his playing career. Allen Iverson was apparently the best High School QB in Virginia history. And so on. Who's to say that these guys couldn't have stuck to, say, soccer and been successful. Chances are, if enough of these guys did, we'd get a pretty good number.

The point is that none of our top athletes really choose to go into soccer in this country. You can't tell me that this incredibly wealthy and powerful country wouldn't be wildly successful if soccer was our only sport.

Also, as a side note, baseball's probably the hardest transition to make from another sport. What other sport guarantees you fail at least 70-80% of the time?

Talon

And just to add to that post, there are a handful of athletic skills that are vital to just about any sport: strength, balance, vision, agility, speed, and stamina. Instincts come with familiarity, I would say. If you have those skills and spend a better part of your life dedicated to playing one specific sport, chances are you're going to be pretty damn good.

Take a guy like Kobe, for example. He's got all of those attributes, and he certainly has the work ethic and desire to win. Unless he's running on two left feet, which I doubt, there's no way he wouldn't have been a successful soccer player if he had dedicated his life to it.

Conversely, Michael Essien would probably make a hell of an American football player.

xbhaskarx

Talon- said:
The point is that none of our top athletes really choose to go into soccer in this country. You can't tell me that this incredibly wealthy and powerful country wouldn't be wildly successful if soccer was our only sport.

That's not what I'm saying, obviously the soccer team would be better, but why those specific individuals?
The difference is that you just named some athletes who were actually good soccer players, like Nomar Garciaparra, but chose other sports. You said Joe Mauer was a good soccer player, why isn't he on the list? What reason is there to believe that Ron Artest would be a better soccer player than either Michael Bradley or Joe Mauer?
Edit: I agree Kobe Bryant would have potential as a soccer player.

Talon

xbhaskarx said:
That's not what I'm saying, obviously the soccer team would be better, but why those specific individuals?
The difference is that you just named some athletes who were actually good soccer players, like Nomar Garciaparra, but chose other sports. You said Joe Mauer was a good soccer player, why isn't he on the list? What reason is there to believe that Ron Artest would be a better soccer player than either Michael Bradley or Joe Mauer?
No idea, Dude. I didn't make the chart.

xbhaskarx

Talon- said:
No idea, Dude. I didn't make the chart.

It's just ridiculous to assume that a bunch of big athletic football/basketball players could be great soccer players if they wanted to, for all we know they have would handle a soccer ball like they had two left feet. It's particularly amusing when the best soccer player in the world right now is around 5'6".

WJD

xbhaskarx said:
It's just ridiculous to assume that a bunch of big athletic football/basketball players could be great soccer players if they wanted to, for all we know they have would handle a soccer ball like they had two left feet. It's particularly amusing when the best soccer player in the world right now is around 5'6".

True, but then the second best player in the world is a finely tuned athlete of the "my body is a temple" variety.

For those wondering about the Nike Dempsey t-shirt I got, again it was bought at the Nike Store.

Colors:

Navy Blue: Donovan
White: Onyewu
Red: Dempsey

Auron_Kale said:
For those wondering about the Nike Dempsey t-shirt I got, again it was bought at the Nike Store.

Colors:

Navy Blue: Donovan
White: Onyewu
Red: Dempsey

kitbag.com has REAL kits for 61 bucks right now.

I bought Clint and Lando's

xbhaskarx said:

But why are you taking this so seriously? No one is saying that if we put Lebron on the pitch, he would start kicking ass left and right, its just something to wonder about. Its like you are offended by idle speculation.

MidnightRider said:
kitbag.com has REAL kits for 61 bucks right now.

I bought Clint and Lando's

I was answering in regards to modernkicks' question about the t-shirt with a player's number - since he wasn't looking for kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom