• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
xbhaskarx said:
It's okay, just remind them that Stuart Holden was born in Aberdeen, Scotland.

And his brother may end up playing for Scotland.

xbhaskarx said:
And of course Maurice Edu scored a 93rd minute winner for the Rangers against Celtic.

You don't have to remind me about that. :)

missbreedsiddx said:
The England/US match should be epic, if somehow the US wins, the meltdowns in the UK will be glorious and hilarious.

For the 46,395,234.6th time...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kabouter said:
You would think that many decades of large scale Latin-American immigration into the US would lead soccer to eclipse ice hockey in popularity.

They tend to adopt American pro sports (not college).

Tecate beer is keeping boxing alive in the US though, that's pretty much mostly Hispanic fans now.

Idea: who would be your guys starting XI vs England?

Mine:

Altidore/Dempsey
Donovan/Bradley/Edu/Holden
Spector/Demerit/Onyewu/Bocanegra
Howard

Looks like a mid-table Premiership side, which means it should have about a 15-20% of winning vs England. Then again, a draw vs England= a win for the US. Means you don't have to press vs Slovenia, which is the game that is dangerous.

SyNapSe

I always watch Soccer during the World Cup. It's fun with the nations competing like the Olympics.

I watched a bit of the czech match last night. I wish they'd get rid of offsides.. so boring.

SyNapSe said:
I always watch Soccer during the World Cup. It's fun with the nations competing like the Olympics.

I watched a bit of the czech match last night. I wish they'd get rid of offsides.. so boring.
:lol You have no idea what that would do

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Facism said:
You guys best be bringing your A team against us on Saturday.

I thought vs the Turks you brought body armor and practice 9 on 9 play for the inevitable rash of red cards. (the US gets a ton of red cards as well, but usually not for ultravicious stuff)

Interested in the Aussie games- because don't the Aussies play the same style as the US?

SyNapSe said:

That would be the worst possible thing that could happen to the game......

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
SyNapSe said:

sigh. i feel the same about American football.

xbhaskarx said:
It's okay, just remind them that Stuart Holden was born in Aberdeen, Scotland.
And of course Maurice Edu scored a 93rd minute winner for the Rangers against Celtic.

And remind Italy that G. Rossi was born in the states.

Blablurn said:
:lol

you are cute, US GAF.

2i222on.jpg

MidnightRider said:
And remind Italy that G. Rossi was born in the states.

I can't blame him for choosing to play for Italy over the US, but the Italy v USA Confederations Cup game will always be unforgivable in my mind.

Gav

Now, I’m Scottish (And Scotland aren’t in the World Cup… again) and live in England. Im not a massive fan of the England team at all, and really never go out of my way to show masses of support for them, although i know I should. Thats a Scottish football fan for you.

Im in Las Vegas on the 12th June when the USA vs England game is on, and I may go grab some food and a drink and watch the game over lunch.
The question is… who does a Scot support in this situation when in the US? :lol

arstal said:
Idea: who would be your guys starting XI vs England

BUDDLE - DEMPSEY

DONAVAN - CLARK - BRADLEY - HOLDEN

BORNSTIEN - GOOOOCH. - BOCANEGRA - SPECTOR

WE have a chance with that line up.

PS screw lazy Jozy up front

industrian

Gav said:
Now, I’m Scottish (And Scotland aren’t in the World Cup… again) and live in England. Im not a massive fan of the England team at all, and really never go out of my way to show masses of support for them, although i know I should. Thats a Scottish football fan for you.

Im in Las Vegas on the 12th June when the USA vs England game is on, and I may go grab some food and a drink and watch the game over lunch.
The question is… who does a Scot support in this situation when in the US? :lol

I'll be in Tokyo. I'll be supporting the Netherlands (who are always my second team behind Scotland because of my Dutch grandfather) and Japan (my hosts.) The awesome thing being that the NL are playing Japan. Should be interesting night for me. I'm looking to get a Dutch and Japanese shirt before proceedings start.

Anyhows, support the USA. Go hog wild and do a "USA! USA! USA!" chant with your most obnoxiously forced Rab C. accent. Worst case scenario: everyone thinks you're Irish. Best case scenario: a girl who thinks you're Irish gives you a blowjob because she likes the Irish.

Either way, if the USA don't do it then maybe Madjid Bougherra and his Merry Men can do the job. I wonder if Slovenia have any Rangers players...

Pre

I think we'll probably start Altidore/Dempsey up top against England and then use Gomez as our super sub option.

That said, I find it a bit odd that the England fans are so certain of their imminent victory. We've already proven we can hang with (and beat) the best in the world at the Confederations Cup when we 2-0'd Spain. (And should have beaten Brazil in the final, as we were up 2-0 at the half.) We can beat anyone in the world on any given day, England included.

The position I'm most concerned about right now is left back. Bornstein and Pearce are both dogshit, meaning that we'll have to play Boca there and he's not really a strong left back at the international level. With Boca out of the picture at center back, it'll mean we'll have to hope that Gooch can get up to full speed. On the plus side, I thought that Clarence Goodson looked solid and could be another option in the center.

And can we all agree that Sacha Kljestan (aka the Human Turnover Machine) needs to stay far, far away from international action? I really don't understand why Bob continues to bring him to matches.

My starting 11 vs. England:

----------------Altidore----Dempsey--------------------

Donovan-------Edu-----------Bradley----------Holden

Bocanegra-----Onyewu---Demerit-----Cherundolo

-------------------------Howard-------------------------

Edit: And if no one is already using the Timmy avatar in the OP, I'm totally laying claim to that shit.

I think the new USA jersey looks pretty good (with the white stripe on blue), i might get it (a chinese knock off but still looks nice, no nike logo though). Looks kind of like the Peru Jersey with the stripe going sideways and stuff

Pre said:
I think we'll probably start Altidore/Dempsey up top against England and then use Gomez as our super sub option.

That said, I find it a bit odd that the England fans are so certain of their imminent victory. We've already proven we can hang with (and beat) the best in the world at the Confederations Cup when we 2-0'd Spain. (And should have beaten Brazil in the final, as we were up 2-0 at the half.) We can beat anyone in the world on any given day, England included.

The position I'm most concerned about right now is left back. Bornstein and Pearce are both dogshit, meaning that we'll have to play Boca there and he's not really a strong left back at the international level. With Boca out of the picture at center back, it'll mean we'll have to hope that Gooch can get up to full speed. On the plus side, I thought that Clarence Goodson looked solid and could be another option in the center.

And can we all agree that Sacha Kljestan (aka the Human Turnover Machine) needs to stay far, far away from international action? I really don't understand why Bob continues to bring him to matches.

My starting 11 vs. England:

----------------Altidore----Dempsey--------------------

Donovan-------Edu-----------Bradley----------Holden

Bocanegra-----Onyewu---Demerit-----Cherundolo

-------------------------Howard-------------------------

I completely agree! Jozy is a very strong player(his turn against Spain resulting in a goal had me screaming) that will certainly be a handful, and Gomez's goal after being subbed last night was impressive.

I hope to see Sacha and Bornstein kicked to the curb, they're both horrible.

Pimpwerx

Go USA. I always supported their soccer team, probably because I like an underdog. I love to watch Brazil play, but the US is my team. This year, I'm pulling for the US, and Argentina. I only discovered Messi this year, but the kid is a phenom. PEACE.

Facism

arstal said:
I thought vs the Turks you brought body armor and practice 9 on 9 play for the inevitable rash of red cards. (the US gets a ton of red cards as well, but usually not for ultravicious stuff)

:lol What can I say they still yearn for Empire and the fair white women of Europe.

industrian

The ironic shit is that I know half of these players since I managed the USA in Football Manager three years ago. Sasha Kljestan was my star player. IIRC I humped Canada 7-1 and got 9-0 over El Salvador. I quit after being put out of the World Cup in the Last 16, but they kept asking me to come back. I never did. :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
MidnightRider said:
BUDDLE - DEMPSEY

DONAVAN - CLARK - BRADLEY - HOLDEN

BORNSTIEN - GOOOOCH. - BOCANEGRA - SPECTOR

WE have a chance with that line up.

PS screw lazy Jozy up front
Of?:D

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
striKeVillain! said:
Crashing out to Germany in the semis because of shit refereeing.
The US needs to get out of the group first, not a formality by any means, if you lose to England Slovenia are no pushover, you would need 2 wins and 2 wins from those two games is still asking alot.

Pre

If we can win our group, we could have a manageable road to the semis. We can beat whoever would come out second in Group D (Germany, Australia, Ghana, or Serbia), and then we'd likely face Mexico (who I have winning Group A) in the quarters, who is definitely beatable. Of course, after that we'd probably go against Brazil...

newelly87

Banned
arstal said:

Interested in the Aussie games- because don't the Aussies play the same style as the US?
not at all.. Australia plays awful stuff thanks to our shitty manager. Park the bus right inside the 6 yard box and hope cahill can prod one in out of the half dozen times the ball goes into the oppositions 18 yard box..

Mr Cola

Pre said:
If we can win our group, we could have a manageable road to the semis. We can beat whoever would come out second in Group D (Germany, Australia, Ghana, or Serbia), and then we'd likely face Mexico (who I have winning Group A) in the quarters, who is definitely beatable. Of course, after that we'd probably go against Brazil...

Where is this notion coming from? Do you know your own team and their history in international tournaments? Also to say you could beat Germany seasoned veterans in these tournaments and substantially better, or even Australia or Serbia is just....well its just fanciful at best and at worst ludicrous. Coming 2nd in the group would be an achievement of some merit for the US.

Pre

Mr Cola said:
Where is this notion coming from? Do you know your own team and their history in international tournaments? Also to say you could beat Germany seasoned veterans in these tournaments and substantially better, or even Australia or Serbia is just....well its just fanciful at best and at worst ludicrous. Coming 2nd in the group would be an achievement of some merit for the US.

I didn't say that we'd win the group... I said if. Yeah, it's asking a hell of a lot, but we are capable of doing it.

And again, if we can beat Spain, we can beat any team in the world, England and Germany included. We could just as easily lay an egg and get the shit pummeled out of us, but you never know.

Mr Cola said:
You're preaching all doom and gloom. We're coming into the tournament with a pretty good squad in decent form. We have talent and most of this squad was there to upset Spain and take it to Brasil IN South Africa last year.

I don't expect that to happen again, but there is precedent for the US team to OVERachieve.

Mr Cola

Pre said:
I didn't say that we'd win the group... I said if. Yeah, it's asking a hell of a lot, but we are capable of doing it.

And again, if we can beat Spain, we can beat any team in the world, England and Germany included. We could just as easily lay an egg and get the shit pummeled out of us, but you never know.
Two things here

Capable, yes, but only in the sense that every team in the group is capable of winning, it would take a huge huge upset for you to win the group, and a stroke of luck for you to come second.

Secondly ive heard this argument a few times on here "we beat spain, we can beat anyone" while technically true you can beat anyone, again so can anyone in this tournament. The Spain result was a huge upset, and if we are to take from that game that magically you are on par with Spain then we can say that a team that got relegated from the premiership this season is on part with the Champions last year. Upsets happen, what you are asking for in this tournament is not just one upset, but 4 or 5 to get to the semi finals. I know im coming across as a jerk here but your assertion just comes across really ill informed, and alot of us football fans on gaf are noticing it alot in the past week or so leading up to the world cup.

Pre said:

Tis the beauty of the game, no one is out until the final whistle blows.

:lol @ pessimistic cynics trying to shit on our hope, thisisamericadude.gif

USA USA USA

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
newelly87 said:
not at all.. Australia plays awful stuff thanks to our shitty manager. Park the bus right inside the 6 yard box and hope cahill can prod one in out of the half dozen times the ball goes into the oppositions 18 yard box..

That sounds familiar. Do the Aussies play that way vs everybody or just the good teams?

Honestly, that Spain game- I felt was luck+ some miracles. Yeah, the US is capable of pulling an upset- but I don't think they can pull 2 in a row.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if the US gets out of the first round, I think Slovenia will finish 2nd.

Once you get to that 2nd round, it's the NCAA tournament, so maybe they can pull off a Jimmy V.

They're a pretty good team who should give the US fits in the 2nd game, especially if the US needs a win, which they likely will if they lose to England (which is the most likely result)

Not pooh-poohing things, but that's realistic. The best thing that can happen to the US is an Algeria-Slovenia draw in the first game.

As for Jozy, if he's going to headbutt people like Zidane- he should try to score like Zidane. Then again, he's capable of world class goals- just not when on a crap team. Not having Davies is a big blow- but it's his own fault for being an idiot and getting in that wreck after hours.

Mr Cola

striKeVillain! said:
You're preaching all doom and gloom. We're coming into the tournament with a pretty good squad in decent form. We have talent and most of this squad was there to upset Spain and take it to Brasil IN South Africa last year.

I don't expect that to happen again, but there is precedent for the US team to OVERachieve.
Alot of what i said above is still an answer to this but to add a bit more. Im really not trying to instill doom and gloom, just perspective. Ive covered beating Spain as an upset so ill leave it there. You are an ok international team, capable of beating anyone if the circumstances are right, but that can be said of pretty much any international team. You do have some talented players, BUT most of them play in mid to low tier clubs around the world, and while respected inside those clubs, are not thought of above their station in their respective leagues.

Mr Cola

sw33tclyde said:
Tis the beauty of the game, no one is out until the final whistle blows.

:lol @ pessimistic cynics trying to shit on our hope, thisisamericadude.gif

USA USA USA
This is what we have to keep out of the world cup thread, support your team, argue your case, but keep the pointless and half baked assertions to your own rather than embarrass your country by asserting them around actual football fans. You guys have to realise how this attitude comes across to the world.

Mr Cola

NoRéN said:
somebody LOVES to troll. It's cute.
Me? Who can actually argue a case, or those im arguing against whose argument seems to be

"USA USA USA"

Mr Cola said:
Me? Who can actually argue a case, or those im arguing against whose argument seems to be

"USA USA USA"

That's my new sig, only because all of you fererners seem to loathe it so much. Who needs arguments when you got..

USA USA USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom