• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

woodchuck said:
Martin Tyler yes...Andy Gray sucks. they've just worked together really long and are iconic.
martin tyler and Jon Champion?

OP, add the Australia game to Upcoming events.

USSOCCER.COM - official US SOCCER site

YANKS ABROAD - site focusing on, well, our Yanks applying their trade outside of MLS.

Any other useful links anyone would like to contribute?

Wes

venison crêpe
cashman said:
are they generally thought of to be as the best commentating duo in football?

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Martin Tyler is good but not one of the greats. Andy Gray is poor at best.

Wes

venison crêpe
Give me John Motson any day. Unfortunately he doesn't do many matches now and he wont be commentating at the World Cup.

The best commentators in the UK are on the radio, and I don't mean the TalkSport crap.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
xbhaskarx, did I ever send you the gold cup stuff?

Yeah, I just wanted to limit the OP mostly to the World Cup, sorry about that.
As it is, I only used around 1/3 of the material I had, I don't want to overwhelm people.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah, I just wanted to limit the OP mostly to the World Cup, sorry about that.
As it is, I only used around 1/3 of the material I had, I don't want to overwhelm people.
true. Also, see my post above, Australia game 6/5. And, when do the 23 leave for SA?

Atlagev

Wes said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Martin Tyler is good but not one of the greats. Andy Gray is poor at best.

Dude, compared to what we usually have to put up with, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray would be *gods*! Last World Cup, our primary commentators were Dave O'Brien (a baseball announcer who knew *nothing* about soccer!) and Marcelo Balboa, a former U.S. National Team player. The dude has 128 caps for the U.S. team, but you wouldn't know it by his color commentary. Awful. Just awful.

So, again, Martin Tyler and whoever they pair him with will be light-years ahead of what we had to listen to last World Cup.

Oozer3993

Clydefrog said:
Wooho, US fan!

2435952505_dddd1303e8_o.jpg

P.S. that OP ain't Cornballer!

Whoops. Well, I feel like an ass lol. Great job xbhaskarx! The OP is excellent.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Australia is under "2010 USMNT Schedule" but only the next match (Turkey) is at the top under upcoming events.

Good question, I have no idea.
Oh ok. Damn, I'm guessing Sunday, maybe?

Atlagev said:
Dude, compared to what we usually have to put up with, Martin Tyler and Andy Gray would be *gods*! Last World Cup, our primary commentators were Dave O'Brien (a baseball announcer who knew *nothing* about soccer!) and Marcelo Balboa, a former U.S. National Team player. The dude has 128 caps for the U.S. team, but you wouldn't know it by his color commentary. Awful. Just awful.

So, again, Martin Tyler and whoever they pair him with will be light-years ahead of what we had to listen to last World Cup.
I can't remember which one, But someone actually said something along the lines of, rather watch this on Univision. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Wes

venison crêpe
Atlagev said:

Oh yeah absolutely. I must've misinterpreted. In terms of the usual stuff you guys get Tyler and Gray will be much better.

NoRéN

Jamesfrom818 said:
But who screams "goal" the best?
no goal, only, "AHH, ya Beautyyyy!!!!!!!!!!"

I enjoy doing something that my dad taught me years ago: tv on mute and listen to radio commentary. The radio people have to be exciting since you can't see anything.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Artoo said:
Dude, England will do fine! Though, how different will England be if/when Lampard and Barry are included?
We are being hyped up again in the media, they never learn, its always ironic when the day after the first game the team gets a pasting. Also Barry is injured and will, if he makes the squad, be a bit part player because of his lack of training. Lampard cannot work with Gerrard in the same system no matter how forcefully we may try, he will always have to anchor back defensively and that will piss him off. Im optimistic we can get to the quaters, and if we win the group optimistic we can make the semis

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Wes said:
Oh yeah absolutely. I must've misinterpreted. In terms of the usual stuff you guys get Tyler and Gray will be much better.
Perhaps its nostalgia or just growing up with the premier league in my blood but Tyler and Gray will always be the very definition of Football commentators to me. Whether they are good or bad is kind of beyond the point now, they are so synonymous with football to me that i love hearing them.

NoRéN

Mr Cola said:
We are being hyped up again in the media, they never learn, its always ironic when the day after the first game the team gets a pasting. Also Barry is injured and will, if he makes the squad, be a bit part player because of his lack of training. Lampard cannot work with Gerrard in the same system no matter how forcefully we may try, he will always have to anchor back defensively and that will piss him off. Im optimistic we can get to the quaters, and if we win the group optimistic we can make the semis
A damn shame, too. Lamps is great for chelsea. Gerrard is/can be pure class for liverpool. But, put them together and one always disappears. Really sucks. And here's to Rooney and a speedy recovery
NOT!!!!!
:D

Wes

venison crêpe
Mr Cola said:
Perhaps its nostalgia or just growing up with the premier league in my blood but Tyler and Gray will always be the very definition of Football commentators to me. Whether they are good or bad is kind of beyond the point now, they are so synonymous with football to me that i love hearing them.

Maybe it's because I've never had Sky.

NoRéN

Mr Cola said:
Same here with that hispanic fellow who could yell, "GOL!!!!" for ever and ever. Eventually his voice took a toll, had surgeries. but, when the world cup comes around, you kind of want him around. Nostalgia.

Mr Cola

NoRéN said:
A damn shame, too. Lamps is great for chelsea. Gerrard is/can be pure class for liverpool. But, put them together and one always disappears. Really sucks. And here's to Rooney and a speedy recovery
NOT!!!!!
:D
Rooney is fine, lacking in a decent strike partner but physically hes just fine, we have an odd option upfront where we have a man who can score no goals, literally, but who also works "best" with Rooney, or a man who scores goals, but cannot work with Rooney. If we put Rooney uptop on his own he will be hacked and marked out of the game, or get himself sent off. Im over dramatizing a bit, well score, under perform and get through as usual. There is far too much evidence to point against anything else happening at this championship.

Mr Cola

Wes said:
Maybe it's because I've never had Sky.
Born in 85 when sky came in in the 90's that was pretty much my complete immersion into football, i dont remember a time before it and because they got all the big games together that was just it really. Also to his credit Gray can really add to the spectacle of some of the big moments, his reactions are great Tylers aswell, its nice when they have the little moments when they are not commentators, but football fans sort of marveling at the genius they are seeing.

Mr Cola said:

Yeah Lamps and Gerrard just cannot work well together consistently, they make the same runs but seemingly fail to communicate with each other at all. Also, is it me, or did we look miles better when Carragher replaced Ferdinand on Monday? You could literally hear him screaming instructions and bossing the defence all the 2nd half, King looked more solid with Carra beside him telling him what to do too.

The press here never ever learn, they build the team up at first, then immediately ry to sabotage them in any way they can, whether it's the WAGs stories, the dirty laundry the News of the World digs up, or just slating the team even if they beat the USA 3-0 (IT SHOULD've been TEN! THIS IS RUBBISH!). Hell the Daily Mail just tried to sabotage or bid for hosting the cup last week, paying that slut to entrap the head of the FA. Yeah he shouldn't have been messing round, but if everything we said or did got aired in public we'd all be thrown in Jail for some time I'm sure, or at least sacked.

Back to the topic though, it's really great to see so many Americans embracing football or at least giving it a chance. The US should be a powerhouse (as it is in other sports) but when Nascar is beating out the sport, yeah...nice to see the MLS growing each year too, even in a recession. On paper, we should destroy the US in the first game...in practice...it's England. So God knows. :D

Slurmer

Banned
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Cola

Dark Machine said:
Yeah Lamps and Gerrard just cannot work well together consistently, they make the same runs but seemingly fail to communicate with each other at all. Also, is it me, or did we look miles better when Carragher replaced Ferdinand on Monday? You could literally hear him screaming instructions and bossing the defence all the 2nd half, King looked more solid with Carra beside him telling him what to do too.

The press here never ever learn, they build the team up at first, then immediately ry to sabotage them in any way they can, whether it's the WAGs stories, the dirty laundry the News of the World digs up, or just slating the team even if they beat the USA 3-0 (IT SHOULD've been TEN! THIS IS RUBBISH!). Hell the Daily Mail just tried to sabotage or bid for hosting the cup last week, paying that slut to entrap the head of the FA. Yeah he shouldn't have been messing round, but if everything we said or did got aired in public we'd all be thrown in Jail for some time I'm sure, or at least sacked.

Back to the topic though, it's really great to see so many Americans embracing football or at least giving it a chance. The US should be a powerhouse (as it is in other sports) but when Nascar is beating out the sport, yeah...nice to see the MLS growing each year too, even in a recession. On paper, we should destroy the US in the first game...in practice...it's England. So God knows. :D
I have contended and still do that mentally Ferdinand is not there, something else is going on in either his personal life or playing life, beyond injury, that is troubling him. Personally i think he has either lost his drive for the game or he has lost a yard of pace. Either way hes not right and he will be a liability. King is great, but i think hell kill himself this world cup if not managed properly, i can see him hobbling back for Tottenham and never playing again if worked too hard. The issue is you cant keep breaking up a back 4 during the tournament, so you cant throw King in 2 games, take him out 2 and throw him in, the players already only have a month to establish partnerships, chopping and changing midway through a tournament is never advisable.

As for the media, well in this country we should be collectively ashamed that alot of our publications exist and that we feed them, nothing more needs to be said than that.

Also to echo its great having loads of new fans coming to watch the WC :D just remember, you wouldnt make half assed comments in the thread of a finale of a show that you have never seen before, so to make sure you THINK before you argue a case in the WC thread.

shoplifter

Slurmer said:
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!
I taught my two year old to do this. He'll even mix it up with "goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool gol gol gol gol gol goooooooooooooooooool!" he even did it in the bathtub during Equidad/Junior match tonight.

I think his mother is mortified at the thought of having two soccer mad men in the house. :lol

NoRéN

shoplifter said:
I taught my two year old to do this. He'll even mix it up with "goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool gol gol gol gol gol goooooooooooooooooool!" he even did it in the bathtub during Equidad/Junior match tonight.

I think his mother is mortified at the thought of having two soccer mad men in the house. :lol
This reminds me, so anyone here have to convert anyone in their live to soccer? Or, did anyone convert you into a fan?

NoRéN said:
no goal, only, "AHH, ya Beautyyyy!!!!!!!!!!"

I enjoy doing something that my dad taught me years ago: tv on mute and listen to radio commentary. The radio people have to be exciting since you can't see anything.

Radio people are the best always

NoRéN

Dark Machine said:
here, it's the opposite. The press mostly ignores any soccer exploits that our team may be undertaking. But, as soon as they lose a match, article after article appears on how US lost again. Or US, not good enough. Seems like more effort is put into keeping soccer down.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
MidnightRider said:
Radio people are the best always

yup cuz american sports commentators sound too stupid when the nads score...
"yyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!"
:/

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
just saw the list of the US squad - i assume that with Ching gone that means that Dempsy will be pushed forward?

xbhaskarx

scorcho said:
just saw the list of the US squad - i assume that with Ching gone that means that Dempsy will be pushed forward?

That's what I would have assumed if the roster only included three forwards as many expected, but with four, who knows.
Hopefully that's the case, Buddle and Gomez are still untested and I don't think anyone wants to see Findley out there.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
scorcho said:

I think the Nads should keep Dempsey as a mid but only go forward if needed or if he has chances to score.

ATF487

BACK OF THE OLD ONION BAG

/tommy smyth

Back to the topic though, it's really great to see so many Americans embracing football or at least giving it a chance. The US should be a powerhouse (as it is in other sports) but when Nascar is beating out the sport, yeah...nice to see the MLS growing each year too, even in a recession. On paper, we should destroy the US in the first game...in practice...it's England. So God knows.

Carragher is the type of player that England needs more of. He's getting older but he's unselfish, a true leader, and he'll play his heart out for his country. I'm gonna be sad when he retires from Liverpool

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
That's what I would have assumed if the roster only included three forwards as many expected, but with four, who knows.
Hopefully that's the case, Buddle and Gomez are still untested and I don't think anyone wants to see Findley out there.
i'm assuming Altidore and either Gomez or Buddle with Dempsey at RM.
Second half to add speed and spark, Dempsey forward with Holden taking his place.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
i'm assuming Altidore and either Gomez or Buddle with Dempsey at RM.
Second half to add speed and spark, Dempsey forward with Holden taking his place.

If it's Gomez or Buddle, I hope they are both used in the roles in which they have been so successful this year: start Buddle, use Gomez as a sub.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
xbhaskarx said:
Altidore had a horrible season at Hull, too. No doubt his conditioning is there, but his performance even in relation to the rest of his teammates was lacking from the handful of games I saw :/

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
If it's Gomez or Buddle, I hope they are both used in the roles in which they have been so successful this year: start Buddle, use Gomez as a sub.
this. So, Findley is just a backup plan to the back up plan.
I say, it was more Hull than Altidore.

Pre

ConfusingJazz said:
I saw this hypothetical US Soccer team if we didn't play any sports, and I must say, its really fucking good, except maybe Floyd Mayweather Jr...:

Kobe Bryant actually wanted to become a professional soccer player when he lived in Italy growing up. NFL receiver Chad Johnson (or Ochocinco if you prefer :lol) also grew up playing soccer and said he'll try his hand at pro soccer in the event of an NFL lockout.

NoRéN said:
This reminds me, so anyone here have to convert anyone in their live to soccer? Or, did anyone convert you into a fan?

I used to hate soccer before the 2006 World Cup, when my brother started watching matches and convinced me to watch with him. We naturally rooted for the Yanks out of patriotic duty and I've been hooked on soccer ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom