• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Facism

Going to enjoy the friendly against Turkey. USA is a solid and more exciting team than England team.

Gonna need to manmark Arda and Sercan hardcore.

NoRéN

mYm|17| said:
Nike Store in New York
DAYUM!!!!

As for where I will be watching: at home. Don't have any friends and my lady works til 2pm so I wouldn't want to ditch her and then be a lonely guy at a pub. She;ll be watching at work and i will be drinking at home with my dog at my side.

xbhaskarx

US World Cup team by the numbers

Age of youngest player: Jozy Altidore.

Age of oldest player: Marcus Hahnemann.

Players who have been on a previous World Cup squad: DaMarcus Beasley, Carlos Bocanegra, Steve Cherundolo, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Hahnemann, Tim Howard, Oguchi Onyewu.

Players who played in a World Cup: Beasley, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Dempsey, Donovan, Onyewu.

Players who played in two World Cups: Beasley, Donovan.

Players who did not make appearances in qualifying play for South Africa: Edson Buddle, Herculez Gomez, Robbie Findley and Hanhemann.

Foreign-based players.

MLS players: Jonathan Bornstein, Buddle, Donovan, Findley.

Current and former MLS players.

Different national leagues represented: England 8 players, USA 4, Germany 3, Mexico 2, Scotland 2, Denmark 1, France 1, Italy 1, Norway 1.

Players who did not play college soccer: Altidore, Beasley, Michael Bradley, Donovan, Gomez, Howard, Spector, Jose Francisco Torres.

Players who played four seasons of college ball: Bornstein, DeMerit, Findley, Hahnemann.

Most national team appearances: Donovan, who also leads the team with 42 goals.

Least appearances: Buddle.

xbhaskarx

From twitter:

Bob Bradley basically identifies Carlos Bocanegra as his left back, says he's confident Onyewu, DeMerit and Bocanegra will be fine for WC.

NoRéN

Facism said:
Going to enjoy the friendly against Turkey. USA is a solid and more exciting team than England team.
Gonna need to manmark Arda and Sercan hardcore.
You're probably the first, and last person, to ever say that about our yanks. Thanks!

MidnightRider said:
Wasn't there a link to a .pdf with all of our chants/songs listed in it somewhere in this thread?
Thought so, but to find it will be a problem.

Google

xbhaskarx said:
Yeah Cornballer wanted me to add that pic to the OP but there's no room...

http://i45.tinypic.com/23utma9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I like that the England game is your World Cup Final, and yet for the whole of England, it's simply the first game of the World Cup.

Google said:
I like that the England game is your World Cup Final, and yet for the whole of England, it's simply the first game of the World Cup.

wat

The USMNT has a great chance of going through the group stage, regardless of the outcome of that game.

xbhaskarx

Google said:

Yeah that's funny... except it's not our World Cup Final, it's our next meaningful match.

Get'sMad

Google said:

What round before the final do you guys plan on losing in PKs?

NoRéN

Google said:
Nice try, but no.
To the US, it's a meaningful match. Why? Because England is bitter. Bitter that US spit on your crown and sent you packing, then saved your ass in WWII(ahh, the simpsons) and then upset the Three Lions in 1950.
We are performing well in a sport that the country does not embrace. We've made the final and that is a victory for us. England created a sport that BRAZIL dominates.

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol

Killuminati

Neo Member
sw33tclyde said:
wat

The USMNT has a great chance of going through the group stage, regardless of the outcome of that game.
The USA WILL get through to the knockout round. Let's be realistic here. Algeria and Slovenia are probably the most poorest teams going to South Africa.

I see no reason why the U.S. won't be able to beat 'em and progress.

Google

NoRéN said:

LOL.

I know no one who is bitter.

The reason I cite the world cup final is that you're displaying banners of cutting Rooney's head off (with that fucking nonce Donovan as the leader).

Also, we'll lose in the Semi-Finals to Argentina/Portugal/Brazil/France after extra-time, after an amazing display at which everyone will state we played well, but were unlucky.

I love your enthusiasm, guys (honestly), but I despise the naivety.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Fisticuffs said:
soooo... does US have a chance this time around?

x 500. I seriously doubt the US has a chance in hell.

Was wondering what the flags were for in the member titles. Now I know.

xbhaskarx

Killuminati said:
Algeria and Slovenia are probably the most poorest teams going to South Africa.

WTF, that is simply not true. You do realize both North Korea and New Zealand are going to South Africa, right?

NoRéN

Google said:
LOL.

I know no one who is bitter.

The reason I cite the world cup final is that you're displaying banners of cutting Rooney's head off (with that fucking nonce Donovan as the leader).

Also, we'll lose in the Semi-Finals to Argentina/Portugal/Brazil/France after extra-time, after an amazing display at which everyone will state we played well, but were unlucky.

I love your enthusiasm, guys (honestly), but I despise the naivety.
and that E-A-S-Y was any better? What naivety? That's it, guys and gals. Wrap it up! Looks like we're wrong to support our team.

NoRéN

viakado said:
huge soccer fan here. how can i get a nifty US flag?
on your tag...don't know.
An actual flag, could always to eBay and get one for around $5.
...I'm guessing you were talking about getting one on your tag.

Fixed1979

I've been wanting to join in as I'm really looking forward to this thing getting going.

Go Canada...
canada_flag_sunset.jpg

=(
I don't understand why we can't get our act together and qualify for this tournament, maybe 2022...

In the meantime I'll follow our monarchy...or at least the country I know best within the commonwealth.

england-flag-pic-rex-361150275.jpg

Does anyone know if I can find those "Don't tread on me" snake shirts in Footlocker, Big 5 or some other sporting goods store? I've seen it online but I want to try it on first. Nike's sizes are usually bigger than most other brands.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Pick your Starting XI

It really should be our entire A team (aside from Onyewu) this time, no?

I think the only real questions are Clark vs Edu and Holden vs Buddle...

Howard
Spector - DeMerit - Goodson - Bocanegra
Dempsey/Holden - Clark/Edu - Bradley - Donovan
Altidore - Buddle/Dempsey

methodman

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Howard

co sign.

i wish charlie davies wasn't injured but I'm not upset that buddle made the team. dude has good speed plus he seems to be able to control the ball with his back towards the goal. not sure how good he is at dribbling himself open, but I guess I'll see that soon enough.

xbhaskarx

USA vs. Brazil friendly in August
In its first match after the World Cup, the U.S. national team will play Brazil on Aug. 10 at the new Meadowlands stadium in northern New Jersey. The friendly falls on an international fixture date, meaning the sides will be able to recall top players.

Hopefully Charlie Davies will be back and Jermaine Jones will make his US debut.

Strawman

England fan here just chiming in to say its great to see so many people looking forward to the world cup. When I visited the US for the first time last year I was constantly getting accosted when folk heard my accent from American football fans - was a pleasant surprise.

I hope the US-England game is fast, loose with goals for both sides - the kind of game that gets non-fans entertained and interested in the sport. With England winning of course ;)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
xbhaskarx said:
USA vs. Brazil friendly in August

Hopefully Charlie Davies will be back and Jermaine Jones will make his US debut.

You forgot Adu the next Pele. Anyways, Im projecting a win for the nads cuz Im sure as hell none of Brazil's great players will play on this friendly.

Slappy967

Neo Member
Strawman said:
When I visited the US for the first time last year I was constantly getting accosted when folk heard my accent from American football fans - was a pleasant surprise.

I hope the US-England game is fast, loose with goals for both sides - the kind of game that gets non-fans entertained and interested in the sport. With England winning of course ;)

Well you just gotta meet the right American football fan lol. My Brit friends are amazed at how I like American Football and soccer instead of one or the other like most people. That being said we are taking the game against England no doubt but best of luck to you otherwise!

NoRéN

Strawman said:
England fan here just chiming in to say its great to see so many people looking forward to the world cup. When I visited the US for the first time last year I was constantly getting accosted when folk heard my accent from American football fans - was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks alot! The footie love is out there, just minimal compared to Throwball and all the other stuff for anyone to notice.
Yeah, here's to a great game for the neutrals!

xbhaskarx said:

Howard

get out of my head!!!!! Though, I stand by what i said earlier in the thread, Dempsey as RM with him moving forward in the 2nd and Holden coming on. And, probable Clark to start with Edu coming on for him to hopefully work some of his stoppage time magic. Finish off the game with Dempsey and Donovan upfront, maybe Torres or Beasley to take LM.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
NoRéN said:
get out of my head!!!!! Though, I stand by what i said earlier in the thread, Dempsey as RM with him moving forward in the 2nd and Holden coming on. And, probable Clark to start with Edu coming on for him to hopefully work some of his stoppage time magic. Finish off the game with Dempsey and Donovan upfront, maybe Torres or Beasley to take LM.
i'm hoping that Benny's able to put in some quality minutes in as well. he has a ton of potential, but just needs more consistency.

I know it probably won't happen but I would absolutely love it if Dempsey netted the winning goal in the 88th minute against England. Dude has hit two clutch goals in his career over there...would love to see one against the Three Lions :lol

That said, I agree with you guys putting Dempsey up top. I see him as a much better fit as a striker than I do in the midfield.

xbhaskarx said:

Howard

Yup. Love this line-up.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Gamecocks625 said:
I know it probably won't happen but I would absolutely love it if Dempsey netted the winning goal in the 88th minute against England. Dude has hit two clutch goals in his career over there...would love to see one against the Three Lions :lol
i'd rather see Donovan do it considering how many people on both sides of the Atlantic questioned his ability to perform at Everton before his loan spell.

although because of that spell i'm sure him and Dempsey will be marked like crazy throughout the game.

Korey

Serious question: why are nearly all of the team members from other countries? Is that just how major league soccer (or whatever) is? I can't imagine athletes from other countries wanting to move here to get in on the US soccer scene.

Subitai

scorcho said:
i'd rather see Donovan do it considering how many people on both sides of the Atlantic questioned his ability to perform at Everton before his loan spell.

although because of that spell i'm sure him and Dempsey will be marked like crazy throughout the game.
Will Bradley use that in anyway then?

Also I just read the new SI, and it had an article about how much the US team coaches scouts, to the point that Slovenia and Algeria should not be able to do the rude awakening underdog thing.

xbhaskarx

Korey said:
Serious question: why are nearly all of the team members from other countries? Is that just how major league soccer (or whatever) is?

Many members of the team started out their professional carers in the MLS before moving to other countries, so the MLS did play a part in developing many of the players on our team. The European leagues are higher quality than the MLS for the most part so it's a good sign that we only have 4 team members from MLS, down from 12 in 2006.

NoRéN

Korey said:
Serious question: why are nearly all of the team members from other countries? Is that just how major league soccer (or whatever) is? I can't imagine athletes from other countries wanting to move here to get in on the US soccer scene.
You mean MLS team members?
Or the squad?

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Many members of the team started out their professional carers in the MLS before moving to other countries, so the MLS did play a part in developing many of the players on our team. The European leagues are higher quality than the MLS for the most part so it's a good sign that we only have 4 team members from MLS, down from 12 in 2006.
Yeah, for us it's a good sign to see so many of our players playing abroad. Helps their development, exposes them to the opposition, and shows the world that there is talent to be had that is made in america.

Korey

xbhaskarx said:
Ohhh. So all of the players are Americans that went on to play abroad? Not the other way around? Ok that makes more sense.
NoRéN said:
You mean MLS team members?
Or the squad?
The guys on Team USA, so the squad I guess.

Korey

xbhaskarx said:
Uhhhhh... yes, yes that does make more sense.....
I'm an idiot, I admit it :lol . Bear with me, I'm actually trying to care here because of my patriotism...kind of like when USA was winning ice hockey in the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom