• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoRéN

eznark said:
Ok, so back to my question. What's with dude sulking all over the field, or is that just the normal body language for international soccer? I don't really get your point.

Excuse me for attempting to get interested.
There's your answer. Dempsey!
That really is what he does.

NoRéN

Crisis said:
True effort from the second half US squad. Turkey was a great opponent to get ready.
Yeah. this looks like the squad to start. Altidore and Findley against australia. Torres should stay as a sub. God damn was he impressive. Real game changer. So much speed and creativity.

Turkey made the match great. Good opponent.

Crisis

Banned
It was a huge effort across the team. Bradley actually stopped two Turkey breakaways. Findley kept getting in great positions and settled down well. Donovan came alive. Onyewu had arguably the biggest stops of the day. But you're right. Torres completely changed the energy on the field when he came on. That was incredible. The US needs to learn to kill time better. And we've got to get better at getting back on defense faster. We foun a very competent defense when they were able to get back faster.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
fuck yeah

can't wait for June 12. We'll teach England to spill oil in our gulf.

how's the MLS doing? is it gaining viewers?
here in Montreal, the Impacts will be joing the MLS in 2012

*I their name though... Impacts lol seriously

NoRéN

Crisis said:
It was a huge effort across the team. Bradley actually stopped two Turkey breakaways. Findley kept getting in great positions and settled down well. Donovan came alive. Onyewu had arguably the biggest stops of the day. But you're right. Torres completely changed the energy on the field when he came on. That was incredible. The US needs to learn to kill time better. And we've got to get better at getting back on defense faster. We foun a very competent defense when they were able to get back faster.
Bradley has come a long way since '07. Back then, you had to take him out by no later than the 60th or else he'd go and get himself red carded. Donovan loves to the be the supplier. He has vision and wants to be a part of every play( 2 goals and who had both assists?!). I never understood the hate for Donovan. He's going to go down as the greatest player US soccer ever had.
Torres has always been this good. He's the type that wants to go in with the mindset of going and changing the game. He wants the game winner. During Qualifying, i believe against Honduras, game's 2-1 to US, he comes on and was going for goal. Corner and he basically went flying in for a header very similar to the Ronaldo goal against Chelsea in the CL final. Went flying in and aimed for the same damn corner like today, bottom right, next to the post. Of course, the post did not help. Torres seems to want to come in and kill games and the US can only benefit from it.
Defense...oh, the defense. I'm guessing they are trying to play the offside trap or something because one goes forward and they all follow, leaving us vulnerable, as was the case today.

Crisis

Banned
gutter_trash said:

Attendance is way up In certain areas if I recall correctly.

NoRéN

schuelma said:
fuck yeah

:lol Post of the Thread!!
gutter_trash said:

It's doing good. I think ESPN has reported a loss in viewers for their broadcast, but they broadcast the Thursday matches. Fox Soccer Channel has reported the numbers have remained the same. Last year, MLS had more viewers than EPL.(of couse, EPL games start at 4am). Now, attendance is another issue. The teams with great fan base(Seattle, Toronto,Columbus, and now Philadelphia) have great numbers. Everyone else, ok numbers. The new teams are really helping popularity by bringing great fans and new rivalries. Northwest looks to become the new MLS fan-hub. Montreal will only help this.
More teams in middle america are needed. Columbus v. St Louis would be great!

Crisis said:
Attendance is way up In certain areas if I recall correctly.
I've noticed at Galaxy games that attendance has been good despite a recession and no Becks. The thing is, we had a star all along in Donovan. Donovan + Buddle = Becks, who?

Pre

Seattle and Toronto are the best as far as fan support goes. New York has good support as well and that should only grow after the WC when Henry comes to town.

mYm|17|

Great win for the US today. Second half was way better.

Still need to get the CB spots situated. It was looking shaky over there.

NoRéN

zoku88 said:
Whoo, looks like this one does (though, I have no idea what will happen next week, after I move, lol)
in the unlikely case that your internet provider does not carry ESPN3, channelsurfing.net provides TV streams. There was another one someone suggested a while back but can't remember the name.

NoRéN

kIdMuScLe said:
Good game! But damn Bornstein looks horrible out there!
That's nothing new.
As a defender, you could say that he:
kIdMuScLe
Gets Ass****ed Every Day
(Today, 02:24 PM)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
mYm|17| said:
Great win for the US today. Second half was way better.

Still need to get the CB spots situated. It was looking shaky over there.

It was like looking the Mexico game last thursday. Crapy 1st half and HOLY FUCKIN SHIT 2nd half.:lol :lol :lol

yeah the cooch was kind of shaky but bornstein looks bad under pressure and if he doesn't get his shit together June 12th, he'll get ripped to shreds by Lennon/Walcott.

Also, you nads need to roundhouse kick the shit of RedCardo (nice nickname by some gaffer:lol ) so he can stop gettin carded or else the nads are gonna be down to 10 men.

xbhaskarx

Good second half.

I really think some of the younger midfielders, Holden, Torres, Bradley, could show everyone what they can do in SA. Bradley wasn't so great for most of today, but Torres came through, and Holden did quite well against the Czechs.

schuelma said:
fuck yeah

:lol :lol

Crisis

Banned
Hey guys. ESPN just posted their grades for each player that got a piece of the action. The scale is from 1 - 10, with 10 being the best.

Link to the article here.

ESPN said:
Tim Howard, goalkeeper, 5.5 -- Made a pair of good saves in the first half. He perhaps could have done better on Turkey's goal, and he sometimes looked shaky in the second half.

Jonathan Spector, defense, 3 -- In 45 minutes of work, Spector was exposed on the right. He'd made a nice run up the field but was miles out of position on Turkey's goal. He didn't seem quick enough today.

Jay DeMerit, defense, 6 -- He bore much of the blame on the first Turkey goal, as he didn't cover for Spector properly and sometimes couldn't keep up with Turkey's dribblers. He looked much better in the second half, getting in front of his man, rather than getting stuck chasing him.

Clarence Goodson, defense, 5.5 -- Was good in the air in the first half, turning in a serviceable performance.

Carlos Bocanegra, defense, 6.5 -- He had a strong first half, playing well into the second, sometimes coming forward. He was missed when he came off.

Landon Donovan, midfield, 7.5 -- He didn't get enough touches in the first half, when he wasn't properly integrated into the run of play. He became much more dangerous in second half when he started getting touches on the right and up front. He played the ball off to a wide-open Altidore, after doing well to get himself into the box, for the first goal, and set Dempsey up on the run for the second.

Michael Bradley, midfield, 7 -- As always, Bradley was dependable in backing up his defenders. He helped set up the first goal and managed to get forward quite a bit in the second half, giving Dempsey a good chance at a third goal. His passes were mostly good today.

Ricardo Clark, midfield, 4.5 -- Looked shaky in the first half when many of his passes found his opponents. Overall, he never looked quite comfortable.

Benny Feilhaber, midfield, 4 -- He gave the ball away too much and never got into a rhythm in his only half of action. He exposed himself defensively and lacked ideas.

Clint Dempsey, forward, 6 -- A dreadful first half, in which his clumsiness made it look as though he was playing with steel-toed boots. In the second half, when he was moved more into the midfield, he got into the action, lost the ball less and blew past his man to score the winning goal.

Jozy Altidore, forward, 6.5 -- In the first half he was isolated, having to drift really far off his spot to get into the action. He did contribute a lovely dribble that deserved better than to skip harmlessly by the Turkish goal. In the second half, he put in good touches and did well to put away Donovan's cross for the first U.S. goal.

Subs:

Robbie Findley, forward, 7.5 -- What a revelation the halftime sub was, stretching the Turkish defense, setting up the first goal with a lovely ball to Donovan and constantly threatening to rush past Turkish backs.

Oguchi Onyewu, defense, 6 -- A steady second half, in which he covered his man well. Growth over his last performance.

Jose Torres, midfield, 7 -- Excellent performance. He did a superb job of distributing the ball to his teammates and even hit the post on a free kick.

Steve Cherundolo, defense, 6.5 -- A significant upgrade over Spector, sending in good crosses and defending well.

Jonathan Bornstein, defense, 2 -- Poor. He got burned on his only significant play.

Stuart Holden, defense, 6 -- Tracked back well. Got only a few touches but wasn't afraid to play with the physical Turks.

I agree with most of those rankings although I think Onyewu should have been a bit higher. He came through when he was needed the most. Howard should be higher too. Strictly imo though.

Slizz

Just got home after watching the game. Excellent second half and the 2 youngsters looked good. Everyone is right, Turkey was an excellent warm-up for us. I can't wait for June 12th

EDIT: Our defense looks like it's gonna cost us a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom