• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
People realize this is a demo, the graphics could definitely be better on the retail disc.

I wouldn't count on it. The game is finished.

This is more or else what we are getting. All that remains is bug sorting and certification. We are far too late in the process to provide major changes to art assets.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes gold within the next week.

They mentioned the code was days from final, which is why the demo was delayed in the first place.

rozay

Banned
Here is a pretty good playthrough of Sur'Kesh on Insanity with a Sentinal. Very methodical, great tactics on both side. I love the use of smoke grenades by the Cerberus agents to cover their tracks and screw the player over, as well as their flanking tactics. Their health and shields/armor bonuses also dont seem too outrageous which was often the case in ME2 where everyone had max health, armor and shields.

Part 1

Part 2
You seem to have a good capture card. If you have any spare time this weekend,would you be able to record the tracks from the Sur'Kesh mission by just pausing the game and letting the music loop?

The only ones I specifically want are the piece that plays after you tell Wrex to stay and you get the first opportunity to spec your characters, and the combat track that plays immediately after you send the elevator up.

If you're busy no worries, I can wait for them to be taken from the PC demo.

Well, it's like, you see only a few real civilians in the entire FUTURECITY. You'd figure there would be a ton of people since millions are dying or something. But you only see like one kid in a piece that's so obviously manipulative and...dumb. I dunno.

The game is fine itself. But I would figure you'd see more people.
Look around on the ground while you're running with anderson :p

So, I wasn't having any problems getting into cover. Some of you guys getting a little to excitable with that A Button, or somethin'? :I
A lot of times I roll and don't expect to enter cover but I do, so I press A again after the roll animation finishes causing me to leave cover. Other times I'll roll towards cover and not enter it, but at least it's not as bad as rolling in the wrong direction straight in front of a turret :(

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
You seem to have a good capture card. If you have any spare time this weekend,would you be able to record the tracks from the Sur'Kesh mission by just pausing the game and letting the music loop?

The only ones I specifically want are the piece that plays after you tell Wrex to stay and you get the first opportunity to spec your characters, and the combat track that plays immediately after you send the elevator up.

If you're busy no worries, I can wait for them to be taken from the PC demo.

Ohh theyre not my vids, I just found them on youtube, but amazingly enough they were vids from a NeoGAF member KurowaSan. So I would sent him a PM for that, it is great music. I have to wait for the PC demo sadly since my 360 died.

I cant wait to see for myself and upclose how much better the texture work will be on the PC compared to the 360. There was already a pretty big gap between the two for ME and especially ME2 so it'll be nice to see how sharper and more detailed things are here since even on the 360 things look rather fantastic even compared the ME2 on PC.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I really don't think it's fair that a fan of the series, like myself, who has the game pre-ordered, like myself, has to sit here demolesss meanwhile smelly Xbots get to play it on their stinky lame console, early at that.

Motion to close this thread and not speak of the demo until EatChildren has it.

iavi

I have a code for the Normandy prop. Thank you my dear Simo
Quote to Reveal
code code code code
2DQ9J-33PVR-VVXR7-7FF4W-Q6XPZ

And another one for the Demo.
Quote to reveal
Mass Effect 3 Early Access Demo Code
M7M9H-WYW34-WT43R-6YV27-6D7KZ

Have Fun!

Edit: God Damnit. This shit never works! Well, Normandy prop up for grabs I guess

I managed to snag the demo. Thanks a ton!

I really don't think it's fair that a fan of the series, like myself, who has the game pre-ordered, like myself, has to sit here demolesss meanwhile smelly Xbots get to play it on their stinky lame console, early at that.

You're such a smelly Hanar.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I'll go play it again...just for you!

MrMephistoX

Didn't want to make my launch day experience repetitive so I chose lady shep, muted the sound, pretended I saved Kaiden, and skipped through all the dialogue choices and story sections: gameplay wise I can already tell I'll like it more than 2.

P.S I played through "The Arrival" while waiting for it to download: wasn't half as bad as GAF made it out to be.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Seconded. I dont know how many times I cant watch someone else play the demo on Youtube, with me yelling at them to choose different skill upgrades and to take cover and use throw now. They just refuse to listen to me, its altogether disrespectful frankly.

rozay

Banned
Wow, the sentinel can do biotic combos on his own now with Lift Grenades and Warp. Makes the adept less appealing to be honest :(

Really? I found it to be the exact opposite. I got the feeling that they are really stretching the hardware with this game.

The scale of the first level is huge, but as a result the textures are horrible.

Examples: Anderson's suit, your suit, the buildings, the backdrops, the Cannibals, ect. ( Though Anderson's face is much better than it used to be)

Also the fleet shown in orbit looks much lower in detail than the final battle from Mass Effect 1.

There are jaggies everywhere, and the framerate drops lower than it ever did in ME2.

The FoV is much tighter as well, less to render on screen but it makes seeing whats going on in those huge vistas quite difficult.

The second level fared better (smaller scale) and was more similar to ME2 in texture quality.

There are definitely improvements, some of the faces are better, the lighting is noticeably better, ect. but those improvements definitely were not free.

It is compromises like this, and clear cases of the hardware not being able to keep up with the developers vision that makes it clear that Next Gen consoles are long over due.

I just finished a ME2 run the other day and to me the differences are there. I didn't notice any AA issues but will try the demo again when I get off work and see. I didn't see any major slow down at all compared to the ME. Once I get home I'll look.

What's the general judgment?

i's 'aight

No, but seriously, gameplay and graphics are a huge step-up, only downsides is you don't have to double tap A to roll, which results in sometimes frustrating things, "X" is still choose dialog as well as skip dialog, and the demo locks you with 4 weapons, so caster classes aren't as fun as they should be.

Just finished the demo and found it to be pretty mediocre.

To be sure, there are some definite plus points like the excellent score. The combat is improved but still not that interesting. It does the job but it's not anything special.

Since the demo has stripped away almost all the story there's not really that much there to get excited over; you can't really sell an ME game on its combat alone. Of course, just my opinion, YMMV and all that.

Lakitu

st5fu
I just tried the app again to see if it would let me get a code so I could post it on GAF.

I failed three times, sorry.

What's the point of this app? I don't get it.

An-Det

I'm waiting until the 14th (waiting till I can try everything at once), but does the demo allow you to import a character?

Just finished the demo. Overall im happy with it, not sure if its because im not in the mass effect grove of the change in player movement but something felt off at the start. Vanguard Incendiary Ammo/Charge/Shotgun is still super strong but it seems they nerfed it by adding bigger cool down. Still doing tonnes of damage ill try insanity later.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Trying the link for the facebook one but it's not working. Does it have to do with the uk on the url?

X-Frame

I only played the demo twice and I am done with it. Don't want to get sick of it so quickly.

I will hold off now until the MP.

Mindlog

Liara: Pure Biotic 4, Singularity 2.
Sentinel: Throw 6 reset after detonation.

Infinite warp bombs. I managed to destroy the glass that covers the Atlas cockpit. When I get to play again hopefully I'll take over the mech. Sentinel was the class I used in multi for the beta.

This is your punishment for buying the book.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Wow, the sentinel can do biotic combos on his own now with Lift Grenades and Warp. Makes the adept less appealing to be honest :(

The Adept's Cluster Grenade looks pretty great for crowd control along with singularity and shockwave. Adepts should be able to manage large groups extremely well, controlling the battlefield and just screwing with enemies. Plus the biotic powers seem to pack more of a punch than in ME2 so they should be more viable as an attack power and not just tactically useful.

Sentinel will likely still be my favorite class, having warp, push and overload is just fantastic and with tech armor allows you just to deal so much destruction and damage on all fronts. No enemy is too much for a Sentinel.

lol seconded!

Infinite warp bombs. I managed to destroy the glass that covers the Atlas cockpit. When I get to play again hopefully I'll take over the mech. Sentinel was the class I used in multi for the beta.

This is your punishment for buying the book.
You can't control the mech in the demo.

:(

I like the normandy prop so I used it in the avatar editor to make a new gamertag image :p

iGAHv.png

Just finished the demo. Overall im happy with it, not sure if its because im not in the mass effect grove of the change in player movement but something felt off at the start. Vanguard Incendiary Ammo/Charge/Shotgun is still super strong but it seems they nerfed it by adding bigger cool down. Still doing tonnes of damage ill try insanity later.

The cooldowns are partially based on how many weapons you have, and what weight the weapons are, that's why you could throw out a charge like every 1.5 seconds at the start, and for some stupid reason, they lock you to 4 weapons at Sur Kesh.

Well, it's like, you see only a few real civilians in the entire FUTURECITY. You'd figure there would be a ton of people since millions are dying or something. But you only see like one kid in a piece that's so obviously manipulative and...dumb. I dunno.

Dumb? That was like the best segment of the demo....

Anyway, look down at the streets when you're outside the buildings. Tons of people running away.

X-Frame

The class build guides for ME3 will be 100x as complex and unique with all the combinations available. I can't wait.

Woorloog

Banned
Adept's Cluster Grenade is godlike... Shepard throws a bunch of grenades. With luck or good aim, you can have them spread over a large area... Very, very much fun.
Adept's heavy melee is great, it actually does a small biotic throw. I assume it lacks the power of some other classes melee but the throw makes up for any damage loss, if there is such.
Otherwise Adept is a bit lame. The biotics still lack the power they had in ME1. At least they feel like they're lacking. Maybe investing enough talents in them makes them better, maybe not. Singularity and Warp is a fun combo though. Can't figure out what to do with Pull though... but then it was never part of my arsenal in ME2 (useless against shielded/armored targets, defenseless targets i shoot as that was the most efficient way of playing, IMO).

My brother played as Engineer. Long cooldowns cripple that class just like they cripple Adepts. The turret power is fun, it is Engineer's grenade equivalent (does Vanguard have grenade-like power?) though dunno how effective it was, my brother didn't seem to be liking it. Cryo blast seems to be more useful as it can now affect targets with shields or other defenses (worthless in ME2, only neural shock was even worse since that one affected only organics). Engineer's heavy melee looked really boring... does it cause DOT effect on the enemies?

Top Bottom