• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic looking games that aged very well.

Jubenhimer

Often, it's said that Cartoon-like graphics are the way to go in terms of timeless visuals. But that doesn't have to be the case. It's easy to forget, but realistic looking games can also age pretty well graphically as well. What game with a realistic looking graphical style do you think has held up well visually? I personally always stand by the fact that the original Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast still looks good to this day.

178-Soul_Calibur-8.jpg

sc04.jpg

soul1-1.png

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Was Soul Calibur really going for realistic though?

What about a giant bipedal Lizardman isn't realistic to you?

All kidding aside, I was wondering the same thing about all of the "realistic" games that have aged well. My thinking is that graphics can be considered "realistic" while also being stylized, as opposed to something aiming for photorealism. For example, the SH3 GIF that Mature posted looks fantastic and I bet it will pretty much always look fantastic. But I would also never look at it and confuse it for a real person. Nor is the uncanny valley likely to manifest with it, as it's clearly not real. I think artists for these games approximate what we consider real (e.g. mostly normal body proportions, lighting, shaders, etc.) but also help preserve their art style in the future through fantasy elements and tweaks that don't stand out as much as Toon Link. I'm guessing that's why a game like Soul Calibur, despite its saturated colors, lizard people, and glowing weapons, can be read as "realistic."

Glowsquid

The first Airforce Delta (1999) aged quite well imo

A0fTrRy.png

he4EGIA.png

Doublsy so for its Xbox sequel! Unfortunately highly compressed Youtube uploads don't do justice to how good it looks on a real TV in 480p

f95GeNk.png

Was Soul Calibur really going for realistic though?

Some elements are going for a realistic look (like raindrops, fire, water and materials in general like steel and such). Some stages too (and some are outright unbelievable).

The first time I saw the rain on Maxi's stage actually (kind of) evaporating (it just leaves a wet stain and than disappears) I was floored.

Look at that, damn

By the way, the game is available on XBL, and it's backward compatible with X1. It still looks ace on 1080p (and it's the best weapon-based 3d fighter ever, too).

TheYanger

What about a giant bipedal Lizardman isn't realistic to you?

All kidding aside, I was wondering the same thing about all of the "realistic" games that have aged well. My thinking is that graphics can be considered "realistic" while also being stylized, as opposed to something aiming for photorealism. For example, the SH3 GIF that Mature posted looks fantastic and I bet it will pretty much always look fantastic. But I would also never look at it and confuse it for a real person. Nor is the uncanny valley likely to manifest with it, as it's clearly not real. I think artists for these games approximate what we consider real (e.g. mostly normal body proportions, lighting, shaders, etc.) but also help preserve their art style in the future through fantasy elements and tweaks that don't stand out as much as Toon Link. I'm guessing that's why a game like Soul Calibur, despite its saturated colors, lizard people, and glowing weapons, can be read as "realistic."

This post is me.

All of the games posted look fantastic, but Shenmue and Soul Calibur and Silent Hill are NOT Realistic in any way. They're based in relatively realistic proportions and at least SH and Shenmue are based on more realistic settings with muted colors and clothing and stuff, but like...those are very much anime fucking characters still. You would NEVER. NEVER. see someone that looked like Ryo Hazuki in real life.

JordanN

Banned
Wreckless/Double Steal on the original Xbox

Not only was it really ahead in terms of realistic lighting, it also ran at 720p.

4EQcXEH.jpg

JFa8ELf.jpg

Silent Hill Shattered Memories is from 2010 but it's lead platform was the Wii - I played it recently and couldn't believe how detailed the texture work was for the platform. You really have to play it in game or watch footage of the Wii version to appreciate it - there are minor details everywhere the likes the hardware was just not made for.

silent-hill.jpg

Giga Man

"Ctrl+F Half-Life"

Huh, I'm kinda surprised. I remember commonly seeing praise for how much Half-Life 2 still looks good in modern tech or at least a particular character, and I agree.

1527616-alyx02.jpg

Jawmuncher

A lot of these japanese developed games have a bit of a twist to them, that I can't put a finger on. They're definitely realistic looking. But there's something about that which has helped them age well compared to a lot of western developed games at the same time.

there has always been a distinct style to the characters in metal gear that i don't think labelling them photorealistic is fair

If you look closely at how the textures are designed, you definitely see a more of a process of strong defined pixels to minimize bilinear blur, rather than photorealism. It's like comparing digital camo to regular camo.

Often, it's said that Cartoon-like graphics are the way to go in terms of timeless visuals. But that doesn't have to be the case. It's easy to forget, but realistic looking games can also age pretty well graphically as well. What game with a realistic looking graphical style do you think has held up well visually? I personally always stand by the fact that the original Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast still looks good to this day.

178-Soul_Calibur-8.jpg

sc04.jpg

soul1-1.png

I absolutely love SoulCalibur. In my eyes, it's undeniably the greatest fighting game of all time, hands down. One part of that is, as you mentioned, it's timeless look. It was really light years ahead of its time, when it came out in 1999 (!!). I still play the Dreamcast version quite often, to this very day.

But I don't know if I'd call it "realistic" in the purest sense, like say the Uncharted series is today. There's most definitely a stylized part, the most obvious being the very vivid and colorful "trails" generated when weapons are swung around. For me, it's a big part of the aesthetic. Also, a lot of the fashion does not seem to me to be fully period-accurate, so there's a deliberate choice there as well.

A better example of realism would be its contemporary, Shenmue (at least from the many pictures I've seen).

I think STALKER can look stupidly good for a 10 year old game at times, mostly due to the great texture work and lighting.

It's even more impressive if you fire up a 2004 version of the game with the same systems already in place. I didn't believe the 2004 era screenshots at the time, but they were legit.

Check out this shot from 2002
stalker01.jpg

I think STALKER can look stupidly good for a 10 year old game at times, mostly due to the great texture work and lighting.

It's even more impressive if you fire up a 2004 version of the game with the same systems already in place. I didn't believe the 2004 era screenshots at the time, but they were legit.

Check out this shot from 2002
stalker01.jpg

Funny thing is that the game was considered ugly at release, until people really took notice of the lighting and parallax mapping.

dippa

Neo Member
Falcon 4 does alright given how old it is:

Intro.jpg

And then you've got stuff like Zork Nemesis/Zork Grand Inquisitor which hold up a little better than they should, for understandable reasons (lot of still frames, pre-rendered scenes rather than real-time).

Smeags

Endless Ocean (and its sequel Blue World) are still great looking games with a focus on Oceanic wildlife. Beautiful! 🦈

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is also holds up really well.

Some devs really pushed SD graphics to the limit on the Wii.

Top Bottom