• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistic looking games that aged very well.

like fine wine

VlpU2qM.jpg

ay I'll drink to that

poodaddy

Smash Bros. Melee still looks ridiculously good for a 2001 game.

large.jpg
Did you read the OP? Smash doesn't go for photorealistic visuals. Game still looks great but that's not what this thread is about.

For me it's easily Silent Hill 3. That game is absolutely amazing looking still to this day.

ac130.png

I don't know if this mission from COD 4 counts based on its presentation, but this'll always be the most realistic thing I've seen in a video game that can almost pass off as real life, mainly when it comes to the actual gameplay because it becomes so surreal.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ignoring the faces, I think Max Payne 1 is still a looker. Very clean/ detailed textures
5388867_orig.jpg

Conversely, the faces in VTMB look great
tumblr_o5y28hFKEn1u9qaplo2_500.gif

"Ctrl+F Half-Life"

Huh, I'm kinda surprised. I remember commonly seeing praise for how much Half-Life 2 still looks good in modern tech or at least a particular character, and I agree.

1527616-alyx02.jpg

You can also see her underware taking its own space between her skin and her pants

traveler

Not Wario
"Ctrl+F Half-Life"

Huh, I'm kinda surprised. I remember commonly seeing praise for how much Half-Life 2 still looks good in modern tech or at least a particular character, and I agree.

1527616-alyx02.jpg

Community is just giving the franchise the Valve treatment.

ss_lemonade

Wreckless/Double Steal on the original Xbox

Not only was it really ahead in terms of realistic lighting, it also ran at 720p.

4EQcXEH.jpg

JFa8ELf.jpg

Knew nothing about this game other than seeing some magazine ads for it. Then there was that demo on an OXM disc and man, I remember thinking it was the best looking game I've seen and it came out of nowhere! All the effects like the lighting, particles and real time reflections were great, as well as those replays. It wasn't 720p though as pointed out. The sequel was and had some more advanced lighting (tone mapping/hdr?) but there were other downgrades to probably reach that resolution.

The first game would probably still look very good though with a res bump (and even better, 60fps).

That's not PS2 footage to be fair.
The vast majority of PS3 and 360 games don't have faces this this good. Only the animation looks a bit old.

Chaos Theory (2005) is still a looker in my book.
I disagree. This is a perfect example of an impressive game that's aged something awful. OG Xbox had a whole bunch of these. Halo 2, Riddick, Doom 3. Anything that made extensive use of the console's pixel shader capabilities is almost difficult to look at. This is true for a lot of the early last gen games as well, I think it's easier to go back and appreciera the first PS2 games.

PantsuJo

Games with pre-rendered backgrounds like REmake, I'd say.

Even old REs hold up well but they are penalized from the very low resolution and very old 3d models so it's difficult to consider them as a whole "aged well" games.

Mariolee

You gotta be kidding me.

Did you read the OP? Smash doesn't go for photorealistic visuals. Game still looks great but that's not what this thread is about.

For me it's easily Silent Hill 3. That game is absolutely amazing looking still to this day.

A gorilla cant get more photorealistic.

Could you at least read the entire topic title?

I definitely misread the OP and was thinking more of the more realistic textures in Melee like Mario's denim. Was not thinking straight, my apologies.

Powerpuff

F355 Challenge, a great racing game by Sega AM2 under the direction of Yu Suzuki.
This 1999 game aged really well and remains impressive, especially in its full arcade experience with a three screen cabinet.

118124210641.jpg

118124210645.jpg

118124210644.jpg

118124210643.jpg

118124210642.jpg

BiggNife

It is honestly insane how good Silent Hill 3 looks for a PS2 game. I have no idea how Team Silent pulled that shit off.

Whatever that game is with that GIF of that lady looking directly at the camera and everyone complains about her hair moving weirdly, because that is like still the best damn CGI I've seen.

eso76

Knew nothing about this game other than seeing some magazine ads for it. Then there was that demo on an OXM disc and man, I remember thinking it was the best looking game I've seen and it came out of nowhere! All the effects like the lighting, particles and real time reflections were great, as well as those replays. It wasn't 720p though as pointed out. The sequel was and had some more advanced lighting (tone mapping/hdr?) but there were other downgrades to probably reach that resolution.

The first game would probably still look very good though with a res bump (and even better, 60fps).

Yup.
But the downgrades were not worth it, especially since very few could play it in 720p and in terms of geometry and post processing it was a huge step back.

Wreckless 1 looked incredible, though. It's probably the last time I saw a trailer and thought "yeah right like I'm supposed to believe this isn't CG".

Day of Reckoning 2 has aged pretty well imo.

MGS2 and Half life 2 are other good ones around the same period as well. The faces in these games were all done really well at the time and I feel that helped them age well

edit: 0/remake/RE4 games from Gamecube all as well

Silent hill series on PS2

Dead or Alive Ultimate(sort of cartoony I guess to a degree but the character look fairly realistic and amazing still)

PGR2/Gran Turismo3/4

I'm not including anything from the 360 gen onwards because I feel those are too recent to bring up and the tech had advanced so much by that point that the list would be too large

balohna

Ignoring the faces, I think Max Payne 1 is still a looker. Very clean/ detailed textures
5388867_orig.jpg

I played it a bit a few years ago on my PC and I thought it looked like a bit of a mess. Doesn't hold up super well on a modern display. I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it lets you go well past the standard resolution, which makes it look like a bunch of blurry photographs arranged into boxes. I'm sure the PS2 version looks fine, though.

Top Bottom