• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

reKon

Banned
Okay wow. The Pixel launcher runs butter smooth my S7 edge. I picked up the rootless version from xda that includes Google Now.

Edit: also grabbed that live wall paper posted above. The AMOLED live wallpaper one was cool and barely took up pretty much no battery. I'll see how this one does.

andthebeatgoeson

Okay wow. The Pixel launcher runs butter smooth my S7 edge. I picked up the rootless version from xda that includes Google Now.

Edit: also grabbed that live wall paper posted above. The AMOLED live wallpaper one was cool and barely took up pretty much no battery. I'll see how this one does.
I've always avoided live wallpapers because i never wanted to waste battery. Do people use them? Are my worries unfounded?

eizarus

Banned
I've always avoided live wallpapers because i never wanted to waste battery. Do people use them? Are my worries unfounded?
I think they've gotten to a point where it's insignificant extra battery usage. My S8 came with a live wallpaper by default. I got it in May and only just recently changed to a static wallpaper. I've yet to really notice any significant increase in battery.

Nikodemos

I'm never buying another Lenovo mobile product.

My Yoga Tab 3 Plus has been stuck on Marshmallow since I bought it in May, despite being perfectly compatible with Nougat (SD652). I received an update about two weeks ago, and was hoping it's Nougat, but it was just a security patch.

So it seems Lenovo too are guilty of bad software support.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ne1 else use Samsung Pay?

I'm finding more placed that don't have NFC, and the strip tap won't work cause they say chip is required?

Gattsu25

Banned
Samsung 8 series phones are somehow thicker than before. Edge to edge screen comes at the expense of love handles

Maybe getting rid of the jack will slim things down a bit.

Galaxy%2BNote8Galaxy%2BNote8%2Bsize.jpg
giphy.gif

reKon

Banned
I'm never buying another Lenovo mobile product.

My Yoga Tab 3 Plus has been stuck on Marshmallow since I bought it in May, despite being perfectly compatible with Nougat (SD652). I received an update about two weeks ago, and was hoping it's Nougat, but it was just a security patch.

So it seems Lenovo too are guilty of bad software support.

At least you're getting a security update, considering what's going on now lol

Jeffrey

Seems like Huawei is stepping up their update game at least for flagships. Monthly security updates. Mate 9 is getting oreo within a month of mate 10 launch, which could mean before November.

At least you're getting a security update, considering what's going on now lol

I'd be surprised of OEMs were suddenly rushing security updates out because of this.

My S7 is still sitting on the August update and it keeps saying that I'm on the latest version. I think they're rolling out the October update and the WiFi fix was implemented in the November update, so it probably won't hit my device until January or so. Not to mention Oreo, which is probably another 6 months away.

andthebeatgoeson

I think they've gotten to a point where it's insignificant extra battery usage. My S8 came with a live wallpaper by default. I got it in May and only just recently changed to a static wallpaper. I've yet to really notice any significant increase in battery.
Gracias.

In admission, the last live wallpaper i tried was on my S3.

reKon

Banned

After obtaining the new love wallpapers, I've been admiring my screen all over again. This set up with Nova is even more perfect.

I just really have to have a supreb screen and camera at this point, which is making an S9 more likely than a One Plus 5t for me.

iPhone X owners are going to be spoiled

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Squeeze feature has the same issue as the Bixby button. It's cool, and far from OMG a deal breaker.

Still would be waaaaayyy more useful if they just let you remap shit.

Jeffrey

I like it but the fundamental problem is that... I only split screen for browsing something and watching a video,so ideally I want a landscape view for video and portrait for browsing.

Needs better specs and not just at&t.

Id love to see some apps support both screens, but sadly I doubt many will. Tablet mode could be interesting for emulators. Put virtual buttons on bottom screen?

Jeffrey

David ruddock from android police confirms that there will be a axon 7 successor and the m isn't that from today's zte meeting.

Good.

Jeffrey

So should I return this S8+ I just got for the Pixel 2 XL? lol

Gonna cost way more, worse screen. No headphone jack no SD card support. No wireless charging. Slightly better camera.

Unless you super hate touch wiz and performance, not really many reasons to switch.

This screen stuff means I'll probably end up selling the xl2. Sucks I missed the initial order window. I won't get mine until next week unless it ships early.

NotBacon

Phone Arena said:
Looking at the capabilities of these screens, both are able to produce the sort of bold, colorful content we expect from OLED screens, while thankfully also having an option to toggle ”vibrant colors" off for a look that's a little more natural. In that standard mode, color accuracy is decent on both screens, and while nothing is really spot-on perfect (with reds in particular looking a little drab), it's a generally close, solid showing overall.

The Verge said:
When I just use the 2 XL day to day, it's fine. In fact, I appreciate that it's not as oversaturated as your average OLED Android phone.

There are some who fear that the Pixel 2 XL will suffer from the screen issues that plague a closely related phone, the LG V30. That's not the case for me; my screen doesn't have any blotches or dead pixels.

Android Police said:
I've compared these devices side-by-side, and the panels used on Google's phone are noticeably better than the ones LG is using on the V30.
However, these issues are not inherent to LG's panels—look at the Pixel 2 XL. The color is even, well-calibrated, and there's no visible banding. To be clear: you can see this effect on the V30 during daily use, but it's not obvious unless you're looking at a solid color and the brightness is at least somewhat low. I'm relieved this isn't an issue on the Pixel because it bothers me when using the V30.

The concern for the XL 2 screen is kinda real

XAxaV.gif

I appreciate it when people try to downplay hyperbolic statements, but with prices like these, I wouldn't accept anything but a perfect screen. "Solid", "fine" or "decent" doesn't really cut it when the starting price is 939€. I'm not saying that it isn't a good screen, but that shit needs to get an A+ rating on DisplayMate or something to justify that price.

Top Bottom