• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Quixzlizx

Samsung 8 series phones are somehow thicker than before. Edge to edge screen comes at the expense of love handles

Maybe getting rid of the jack will slim things down a bit.

Galaxy%2BNote8Galaxy%2BNote8%2Bsize.jpg

The S8+ doesn't really need to be thinner. I'd rather keep the sweet battery life.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Is there a reason people keep demanding slimmer phones at this point?

I feel like I can barely hold mine without a plump, thicc case.

longdi

Banned
Is there a reason people keep demanding slimmer phones at this point?

I feel like I can barely hold mine without a plump, thicc case.

Not really but S8 and Note8 are a step back while not offering more battery life then S7E.

The 8 trios are surprisingly thick!

VanWinkle

Not really but S8 and Note8 are a step back while not offering more battery life then S7E.

The 8 trios are surprisingly thick!
I don't think they're thick at all. Maybe Samsung has just found what they felt was the appropriate thickness for the phone for ergonomics.

A friend is looking into the Pixel 2, are there any viable alternatives other than the regular S8 that contain a USB-C port and a headphone jack?

e: if she goes the S8 route it'll be with the b1g1 deal on t-mobile, so it'll cost ~$400

Type2

Any case brands you folks recommend? I’m trying to fill the waiting time for the pixel 2 xl by getting accessories.

Jeffrey

Reading android police preview... The fuck? The non pro variant is like better in almost every way.

16:9 but 1440p over 1080p amoled on the pro (barf)

Finger print sensor on the front over a Huawei logo. Bezels are only slightly bigger.

Headphone jack and microsd card support over neither on pro.

Desktop mode is dope. Hope Google can do one someday as well. All these flagship horsepower is kinda wasted on just a phone.

The camera auto detecting object and switching modes is pretty cool too.

4 gb of ram on both default is disappointing. I had apps close on me pretty frequently on my mate 9. Especially during photography lol. My podcast app closes everytime I take a pic for some reason. Wish the not pro came in a 6gb ram option.

Edit: Mr mobile says only the pro will come to the US. Ehhh.

espher

So, I am a Luddite when it comes to mobile devices and know absolutely nothing about them.

However, Harmonix's new board game, DropMix, is coming out this week and Canada and I'd like to get it. It requires a mobile device. I'm OK with picking up a new tablet, since all I have a relic of a Tab 3, but don't want to spend a fortune, and I don't really need a phone (so I'm not going to be picking something up along with a plan) - however, all Hasbro has listed on their site for confirmed compatible devices are phones (and the Nexus 9, which I can't find for sale anywhere anyway).

I've been trying to compare specs but I really have no idea how they compare across vendors, etc. The 'weakest' compatible device Hasbro lists in their FAQ is the LG G4 (Qualcom Snapdragon 808, 6-core 1.8GHz, Adreno 418). The other devices are the Samsung Galaxy S6, Samsung Galaxy Note 5, HTC One M9, Motorola Droid Turbo 2, Google Nexus 6P, and the Google Nexus 9 - basically all 2015 devices.

Would anyone here have any suggestions for tablets that might be comparable to this devices? I'm fine with smaller tablets (e.g. 7" or 8"). I'm going to check some places around here for used phones, too, on the off chance I can get a good buy.

The normal one has a bigger higher res screen, headphone jack and microsd card.

Apparently pro just means water resistance 🤔

Also HTC u event on November 2. 18:9 time.

It's fine my S8+ gives me no reason to spend money anyway. I just wanted a flagship Huawei phone.

Verge destroyed the v30 screen. Pixel 2 xl supposed to use the same one?
This is something I'd need to see in person. Because I thought the S8's screen wasn't great, but it saw universal praise. And another complaint was brightness. Nobody needs that bright of a screen. Unless that has to do with daylight visibility, which I wouldn't know.

Jeffrey

glass back but no wireless charging lol

why are these Mate 10s already scratched in the preview videos?

'pro' like wrestling

Think they said they had to decide between wireless charging or giant battery and they chose the later.

Is wireless fast charge a Samsung exclusive? Why doesn't LG and Apple support that.

Edit. So mate 10 has a bigger higher res and brighter screen than the pro and even has a better screen to body ratio..

Lmao.

https://m.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_vs_mate_10_pro_screen_battle-news-27752.php

reKon

Banned
Note 8 is really gonna be the best phone this year after discount huh?

LG V30 is still beast though and I called it (just replace if you get a bad screen, lol).

Jeffrey

Just wish Samsung didn't double down on the shitty fingerprint sensor size and location twice this year.

Watch they remove the headphone jack to allow them to move the fingerprint sensor to a better spot.

Just wish Samsung didn't double down on the shitty fingerprint sensor size and location twice this year.

Watch they remove the headphone jack to allow them to move the fingerprint sensor to a better spot.

My issue with the placement for the fingerprint sensor is that it's really inconvenient for lefthanded people.

They placed the sensor on the new Galaxy A5 and 7 right under the camera. That's definitely better. I wonder if it's a sneak peek at the placement for the S9 or if Samsung hasn't given up on embedding it into the digitizer yet.

ty_hot

These Huawei phones are beautiful. I was impressed with the 360 degree camera that can be attached to them, its basically the new 800 euros GoPro, but cheaper (what is the price?)

Top Bottom