• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

NotBacon

It's sad that the pixel 2 is considered tiny. On that note, my only feedback on trying a 2 XL is that it's absolutely fucking MASSIVE. Like it's a big phone. The rest of it is normal/what you'd expect. Struck me as the phone google should have released last year.

I was just taking a jab at people who don't buy large phones ;)

Anyway, the P2XL isn't even that big. I'm coming from a Nexus 6 though so I'm biased.

reKon

Banned
I'm not going to lie. If the pricing is right and they deliver on the camera, I'll be mad tempted at the One Plus 5t.

I'm already assuming that they will do fine on the design unless they're going to copy Apple some more.

I'm not going to lie. If the pricing is right and they deliver on the camera, I'll be mad tempted at the One Plus 5t.

I'm already assuming that they will do fine on the design unless they're going to copy Apple some more.

crop.php

Pixel 2 has a hidden dark theme https://www.xda-developers.com/hidden-dark-theme-google-pixel-2/

Also seeing alot of complaints about the screen from people that have seen it in a Verizon store.

You're probably reading the same XDA thread I am. I went to Verizon and looked at a Pixel 2 XL. It looked fine, with reasonably even color tint across the panel and I didn't notice any banding on my sample. I was able to lower the brightness to the minimum but in the extremely brightly lit store it was impossible to see if there were any problems with uniformity. Unfortunately looking at the phone in the store told me very little about how good the screen was. The people who went to the store and decided it was amazing or awful are crazy, you can't see shit about how good it is that way.

You're probably reading the same XDA thread I am. I went to Verizon and looked at a Pixel 2 XL. It looked fine, with reasonably even color tint across the panel and I didn't notice any banding on my sample. I was able to lower the brightness to the minimum but in the extremely brightly lit store it was impossible to see if there were any problems with uniformity. Unfortunately looking at the phone in the store told me very little about how good the screen was. The people who went to the store and decided it was amazing or awful are crazy, you can't see shit about how good it is that way.

Good thing Google has a good return policy. Did you try out the stereo speakers?

Good thing Google has a good return policy. Did you try out the stereo speakers?

Nope. I didn't think to do that. Maybe I'll stop by again tomorrow and blast The Last Jedi trailer and see if I get strange looks from everyone in the store.

I did create a Google account just to install a game really quick. It ran. I didn't spend too much time in the game because there was another guy there also looking at the Pixel 2 while I was on the XL and it looked like he wanted to play with the XL also.

Nope. I didn't think to do that. Maybe I'll stop by again tomorrow and blast The Last Jedi trailer and see if I get strange looks from everyone in the store.

I did create a Google account just to install a game really quick. It ran. I didn't spend too much time in the game because there was another guy there also looking at the Pixel 2 while I was on the XL and it looked like he wanted to play with the XL also.

In some of the impressions people have said the speaker volume is a little low. Hopefully that's not the case.

fuck dropped my phone and the power button was stuck and i noticed it too late, phone rebooted multiple times on the google logo and when i unstuck it phone won't turn back on

Nikodemos

Try holding power and volume down together to cycle it
Isn't reset usually Power + Volume Up on non-Samsung phones?

Also, took a look at Google's dashboard and it seems people have finally moved away from Lollipop. Last year around this time it still had the largest percentage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Isn't reset usually Power + Volume Up on non-Samsung phones?

Also, took a look at Google's dashboard and it seems people have finally moved away from Lollipop. Last year around this time it still had the largest percentage.

Volume down plus power on two non-Samsung phones that I reset.

Honestly it can be either.

I'd try both. Who knows.

Also ditto to the person that said plug it in and don't fuck with it for a while.

reKon

Banned
Damn Maruqes roasted Engadget on his latest video. That's just embarrassing that Engadget published that trash that is blantly wrong.

Ty4on

I think I've heard of batteries depleting to a level where they look dead, but if you let it charge for long enough eventually it'll spring back to life.

Jeffrey

Played with the pixels at Verizon store. Small one feels great in the hand.

Large one... Those side bezels really stand out. More than the speaker sides. The nav button area is surprisingly big even with UI turned to the smallest. There is a fairly large empty space over the buttons. So in the end the usable space compare to my op5 with nav buttons off is minimal.

Speakers are clear but not the loudest. Doesn't go tinny.

Vibration feels good. Close to Samsung which are the best for Android imo.

Hope we can remap the squeeze. Rather have it open camera.

Good read/listen from Rick Osterloh. Seems like google is in hardware for the long term (well I guess buying 2000 engineers confirms that too). Some choice quotes for all the nerds that can't stfu about headphone jacks:

”Phones are headed down the direction of no bezels," Osterloh said. ”Everyone knows it, it's super-obvious. Eventually, that 3.5mm will be gone from everyone's phone. So, we wanted to drive it, both for our products and for the android platform, to try and standardize that interface."

”At the end, we think this is the right long-term direction," he added. ”We wanted to make this change when we were smaller. If we had a huge install base, this kind of change would be much more painful to do, so we did it now."

Apple had the courage to do it while having the biggest install base of all :p

I think he's being a bit disingenuous though. Not in the headphone jack part, just about everything else. He implies apple makes amazing hardware but then goes onto say we're looking at things differently. Uhhh why can't you have that google AI approach + have great hardware? Why does it have to be one way lol. I'm sure that's just PR speak. The next Pixels will be the truest efforts to date so we will see.

Glad they were able to get rid of the 3.5mm jack so that they can find room to make the Pixel 2 bezels even bigger than before.

The real most egregious part was taking it out and not offering a set of usb-c earphones in the box lol.

Edit: and google can say it all they want but both of these phones were not designed by google themselves. Guarantee you they provided the features they wanted, then LG and HTC said this is what we can do in terms of internals/design of the shell. And google provided some reference designs on stuff like the back which still differs a bit between the two so they didn't even get full say on that. That's why next year will be more interesting if it's truly the first real in house phones.

But it's always like that with them. Maybe next year. Not that they aren't solid but they could be a lot better.

Eh, idontbelieveyou.gif

I'm not at all convinced Google is in this for the long term yet. And Samsung is the one that leads Android with hardware decisions. If they remove the headphone jack, it's a wrap. Also, fuck the headphone jack-less future. Such a shitty, anti-consumer move.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm glad they took out a super useful port for some undefined future benefit. I'm sure the people buying the phone in the present appreciate that.

It's a bitch now or bitch later. they made the effort to have people bitch now. Yeah the bitching is a tad more because they aren't bezeless like the iPhone X but if their installed base really was much bigger even if they went truly bezeless the bitching would be louder and more.

It's a distraction they'd rather get rid of now. Same thing apple did. Same thing lots more will do.

It's a bitch now or bitch later. they made the effort to have people bitch now. Yeah the bitching is a tad more because they aren't bezeless like the iPhone X but if their installed base really was much bigger even if they went truly bezeless the bitching would be louder and more.

It's a distraction they'd rather get rid of now. Same thing apple did. Same thing lots more will do.
Or they could just not remove it at all since there's no actual good reason to do so, thus avoiding the bitching.

Or they could just not remove it at all since there's no actual good reason to do so, thus avoiding the bitching.

We will have to wait for the teardowns of the iPhone X but I'm willing to bet there is no space for it at all in there given the battery/taptic/screen/etc... whatever else.

I think it will be the same for everyone. It's a fact that the inside of a phone is precious real-estate. The more technology advances the more things they will want to add. the 3.5mm jack takes up enough room in there to make a difference. Everyone will get rid of it eventually for this one reason alone. There will be that one feature that they just must put in and when they average out what's really not needed it will be the jack.

People can bitch about it being too early but you know what, the sooner we do it the sooner we get great bluetooth alternatives and other things. If they all waited till later there'd be no incentive to create these things now. Pixel Buds may be ugly but they seem cool enough. AirPods are cool. Lots of companies really stepping up their bluetooth game lately. I hope more people drive it, lets do it like a bandaid. Right off!

Jeffrey

at the very minimum, i'd like bluetooth indicator on my headphones.

I know some phones like samsung/lg/oneplus/huawei supports that (seems like pixel 2 will too), but i don't think ive ever had a pair of bluetooth headphones that worked with that on android, while many of them work on ios.

bluetooth is also a pain if you have multiple devices to connect, and multiple bluetooth headphones. connecting pairing, heck charging is a pain.

still no bluetooth headphones with usb-c charging.

Large one... Those side bezels really stand out. More than the speaker sides. The nav button area is surprisingly big even with UI turned to the smallest. There is a fairly large empty space over the buttons. So in the end the usable space compare to my op5 with nav buttons off is minimal.

Thank you for mentioning this!
I didn't realize the UI resizing options in settings actually effected the nav buttons too.

One of my complaints about my Moto Z Play is how big the nav buttons are, and putting it on small definitely makes a difference.

Jeffrey

Thank you for mentioning this!
I didn't realize the UI resizing options in settings actually effected the nav buttons too.

One of my complaints about my Moto Z Play is how big the nav buttons are, and putting it on small definitely makes a difference.

You can make them even smaller in developer options!

Ty4on

We will have to wait for the teardowns of the iPhone X but I'm willing to bet there is no space for it at all in there given the battery/taptic/screen/etc... whatever else.

I think it will be the same for everyone. It's a fact that the inside of a phone is precious real-estate. The more technology advances the more things they will want to add. the 3.5mm jack takes up enough room in there to make a difference. Everyone will get rid of it eventually for this one reason alone. There will be that one feature that they just must put in and when they average out what's really not needed it will be the jack.

People can bitch about it being too early but you know what, the sooner we do it the sooner we get great bluetooth alternatives and other things. If they all waited till later there'd be no incentive to create these things now. Pixel Buds may be ugly but they seem cool enough. AirPods are cool. Lots of companies really stepping up their bluetooth game lately. I hope more people drive it, lets do it like a bandaid. Right off!
Kinda reminds me of removable battery.
In that case though it was more apparent with the poor build quality of the S5 and G5.

longdi

Banned
What do headphone jacks have to do with bezels?

The S8+ has a headphone jack.

Samsung 8 series phones are somehow thicker than before. Edge to edge screen comes at the expense of love handles

Maybe getting rid of the jack will slim things down a bit.

Galaxy%2BNote8Galaxy%2BNote8%2Bsize.jpg

"the S8 is too thick!" has not been a complaint on that phone. We are really reaching here to justify the removal of a port.

I'd rather have a 2-3 mm thicker phone if it meant it came with a battery that lasts a day. I'd rather not buy a plus-sized phone, but it seems to be the only way to get that kind of battery life right now.

Top Bottom