• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games. 1 Year. 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquova

Game 17: Final Fantasy VII

System: Sony PlayStation
Year: 1997
Developer: Square

Overview
My quest to finish all of the Final Fantasy games continues. After making it about halfway through III, I got sick of the game and decided to take a little break. Instead of picking it back up, however, I decided to finish the most famous FF game, and the first one I ever play, Final Fantasy VII. I actually got all the way to the end of disc 2 before quitting the game out of disgust. I was horribly underleveled, wasn't following the story, and really hating Final Fantasy. Having now finished 4 other games in the series, I return to see if I care for the game any more.

Gameplay
The first Final Fantasy game in 3D, and the first to not be on a Nintendo console, FF7 had a lot to live up to. The game plays like many of the others in the series, you have your choice of magic, attacking, using items, etc. Many of the familiar magic and summons return, and the game does feel rather Final Fantasy-y while still being set in a grungy dystopian world, a first for the series. New to the series is the materia system, where magic, summons, and other abilities are equipped to your weapons and armor and level up with you. They can be paired off to further maximize their abilities as well. It's a neat system, but has it's slight quirks that made me enjoy it less than the simple esper system of FF6.

Story
Final Fantasy VII begins in the city of Midgar, a run-down dystopian city where a megacorporation is now in charge of the government. You play as Cloud Strife, the stupidly named former member of SOLDIER, the military arm of the Shinra Corp. He joins the ecoterrorist group AVALANCHE which are trying to destroy one of the Mako reactors, a planet-draining source of energy that is the source of power for Midgar. Following their first successful mission, the destruction of a second reactor goes wrong, and Cloud is separated from the group, meeting Aeris(th). She joins the group as they leave Midgar to both escape Shinra and stop Sephiroth, a former elite soldier believed dead.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
  • Great story. While I feel that VI is the better FF game overall, the plot of VII is one of the best in video games. The story is, while complicated, very engaging, with likable characters and engaging plotlines. Both Sephiroth and Shinra kept me continuously wanting the next plot point.
  • Characters. Prior to this, I only knew Cloud from Kingdom Hearts, where he mopey and kinda angsty. Here, while Cloud begins the game unempathetic, he evolves throughout the game to be a strong leader and character, and his relationships with the other characters is one of the strongest aspects of the game.

Cons:
  • The graphics are not good. This is a bit of a cheap shot, as it was the first FF game in 3D, and an early 3D game overall. That being said, compared to even VIII or other Square games on the PS1, the game looks really bad. The CGI scenes and the pre-rendered backgrounds still look pretty good today, but the stumpy overworld models of Cloud and the gang just look ridiculous. They don't look like people on a quest to save the world, more like plush figurines wearing purple pajamas.

Rating

Excellent

I feel bad for all the crap I gave this game over the past few years. Final Fantasy VII is an enjoyable experience, both in its gameplay and story. As one of the most famous games of all time, it's influence is still being felt today, and for good reason. I finally think I understand the demand for the Remake, and am now just as excited as everyone for it.

That being said, Chrono Cross is still better.

Overall Final Fantasy Ranking:
VI > VII > I > IV > II

---

For a list of the other games I've completed this year, visit my mother post here.

Tambini

Ey3Qt0m.png

#33 Spongebob Squarepants - Battle for Bikini Bottom ★★★.5 Xbox - March 25th - 6 hours
Decent Mario 64 clone, looks and plays very well, nearly all the real voice actors apart from Mr Krabs who sounds fucking terrible lol

iiGl3ki.png

#34 Half-Life ★★★★ PC - March 2th - 5 hours
Still as good as ever, still don't like Xen and still have trouble going down ladders

Weiss

Banned
Well I'm pretty obviously going to do this again because fuck if I'm ever finding a job, so w/e, might as well jot my stuff down. I'll date it going forward. I think I'll make individual posts too since I'm able to better recall my playthrough when I do.

1. The Last Guardian

It is pretty disappointing, if only because expectations were so high that it couldn't possibly match them, but I still had fun. The bond between Trico and the player is so masterfully crafted that it honestly saves the game for me.

2. Luigi's Mansion

I honestly like this game more than most Mario games. It's a brilliant horror comedy that actually manages to hit a few scares now and then, something Dark Moon really lacked where it felt more like traditional Mario and lacked the subversive quality of the first game's humour.

3. Kingdom Hearts

I genuinely believe Kingdom Hearts is one of the best games of all time even though I have at best antipathy towards the rest of the series. It does so much right in so many ways that I'm gobsmacked the sequels could never match up to it.

4. Gravity Rush 2

A perfect sequel. Grabbing the first game's meager flaws and polishing them to a mirror shine with improved combat and a truly gargantuan, beautifully diverse map. The story is absolute bonkers but I wouldn't have it any other way.

5. Rayman Origins

It's better than Legends and I'll detail why down below. It's a perfect 2D platformer with gorgeous visuals and tight gameplay that gradually ramps up at a perfect rate.

6. Rayman Legends

This is basically just going to be comparisons to Origins but nothing's fucking changed between them so might as well. The painted aesthetic is really lacking compared to the thick-line art of Origins, the level design is so barren to encourage endless running that there's no incentive to ever get good, and the music levels pale in comparison to the Land of the Livid Dead.

It's still great, I just don't like it very much and every time I try it I just think about how I should be playing Origins instead.

7. NieR Automata

It's perfect. Literally perfect. Game of the year.

8. Bloodborne

My fourth playthrough of this masterpiece. What else is there to say other than Bloodborne is one of the best games of all time? Damn shame I can't get into Dark Souls.

9. Bloodborne The Old Hunters

I probably shouldn't count this but w/e. Did a fifth run up until Vicar Amelia to rush through the amazing DLC. Ludwig remains one of the best boss battles of all time.

10. ICO

I've apparently atrophied in my skills of this game because I died so often. That's really all I have to say of note because it's ICO and its majesty has been discussed to death.

11. Resident Evil 7

A brilliant return to form and a game that genuinely got under my skin in a way that not even the REmake could.

12. Kirby Planet Robobot

Glad I jumped back onto Kirby with this because it is so good. The new robot mechanic is brilliantly interwoven into classic Kirby gameplay and it's bursting at the seams with extra gameplay modes.

13. Yoshi's Island

Literally the greatest 2D platformer of all time. Fuck Super Mario World.

14. Chrono Trigger

It's Chrono Trigger. What do you want me to say?

15. Majora's Mask

Did a minimalist run where I tried to only grab the things I absolutely needed in the least amount of cycles. It was kinda interesting, but eh.

16. Majora's Mask 3D

If you've never played Majora then buy this version. I'm too much of a hipster to change.

I think I'm experiencing game burnout or something. I've dropped like 8 games so far this year.

Dryk

Main Post - Part 1
Main Post - Part 2
Main Post - Part 3

#15: Picross 3D: 40.7 hours
I didn't actually finish the last level, but anyone who has played this knows that Hard-10-Gold is bullshit even with a 35 minute time limit. With that out of the way...

Picross 3D is a fantastic expansion of the Picross concept, but if you don't already love it it probably won't win you over. It's pretty much exactly what you would expect with some key changes. Not every row and column has information about what's in it, but this is necessary to make the game work. If all 3 axes had information at all times it would be way too easy. It also means that by necessity these puzzles are designed, with specific clues removed, instead of a normal Picross puzzle where the clues can be generated automatically. Said clues are also different to a regular Picross puzzle, being represented by a single number (how many blocks are in the column/row) and a symbol (indicating how many groups they're in) instead of telling you the specifics of the groups in the row. It's a new way of thinking about these puzzles but it works really well.

Unfortunately there's no way to have a mode that doesn't immediately tell you when you fuck up. Because you're removing pieces of the puzzle instead of just painting them the only option upon realising that you've fucked up would be to restart anyway.

Honestly I got a bit sick of this game by the end, because I just ran through it really quickly and there's a ton of content. Having too much content isn't really a bad thing, but it's something to keep in mind. It will be interesting to see if Picross 3D Round 2 is similarly long because Jupiter's Picross offerings can be a little sparse of late.

#16: Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash: 13.2 hours
This is a hard game to talk about because I haven't played a Chibi-Robo game before but I know enough about to series for this entry to come off as really weird and out of place regardless. There are a number of aspects that seem to be lifted from the older games (Chibi-Robo himself is adorable and deserves to be in more interesting games) but I can't say for sure.

Beyond the context of it's existence though, it's a 2D platformer that doesn't really have anything special to offer. The idea the game banks on and is named after is using your cord as a whip, which lends itself to trick shots and swinging. But the swinging can be a little awkward so the game doesn't really do anything interesting with it.

The game's main problem (which I admittedly avoided for the most part) is it's insane amount of padding. There are six worlds with six levels each, and these levels are arranged into a ring. When you finish a level you have to spin a wheel (which thankfully is easy to manipulate) that determines how many levels you advance. If you skip a level you have to go around the world until you land on it, or spend in-game currency to add panels to the wheel until to get the number you need. Once you finish all six levels the world boss appears, and beating them will enable you to freely select levels in that world. Then when you get to the end of the sixth world you're told that you need to cough up a certain amount of money to unlock the final boss.

On top of this, there are the toys. There are three kinds of collectibles in this game, one of which is lovingly rendered Japanese snack foods. Each world contains a portal that transports you to a toy that has a craving for some of these snacks, and by handing them over you unlock descriptions of them in the gallery. The level each toy can first be found in is randomised, and to get back to them later (which you will have to do because a lot of the time they want snacks you don't have yet) you have to go through much of whichever level they've moved to (which is thankfully marked after the first encounter).

Overall I found that the padding, while egregious is easy to overlook. But that doesn't change the fact that it's just a mediocre 2D platformer on a system that isn't starved of them. It's fun, but it's not that fun.

#17: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 177.7 hours
I don't really need to extol the virtues of this game, everyone else has already done that. But I want to talk about a few things that I liked and disliked about my experience. Mine was a lot more rigid than most people's, I tended to stick to one map region at a time and moving on once I'd thoroughly explored it. First I went east to Necluda, then down to Faron, up through Akkala, then through the centre to Gerudo and finally up to Hebra. I found every shrine, and ended up finding almost 600 Korok seeds.

The thing this game does the best is the sense of wonder and exploration. Being able to climb and glide so easily is a treat and there is always something to find. The first time seeing a Divine Beast in the distance, stumbling across some terrain you haven't seen before, seeing a shrine or a shooting star in the distance. But the best thing is even when you go somewhere otherwise boring, like a random mountain peak, the designers will have put something up there (usually a Korok, a chest or a weapon) to find. Exploration is almost always rewarded in this game.

There are a few things I'd like to see more of in the future though, caves. Occasionally this game will really surprise you, you'll walk into an alcove or fall down a hole and realise that the area you've been exploring was hollow all along. The sense of "Wait, this was down here the whole time?" is incredible, but it only happens a handful of time.

It would be nice to see more enemy variety, but the game copes well with what it has, and the overworld minibosses are a delight. Lynel fights especially are tense and really fun. By the end of the game the white enemy varieties spawn a lot and they have a little too much health for my liking but the combat is always pretty satisfying for what it is.

I guess the elephants in the room are the durability and the stamina systems. I thought stamina was fine as long as it wasn't raining, and while the durability did make me hold off on using more powerful weapons by the end of the game I could easily farm my favourites if I wanted to and my inventory was always full of them.

The biggest disappointment for me is probably the cooking mechanic. Most of the materials and recipes you collect in the game are useless. If you want to make a meal that grants you a specific thing there is usually one kind of ingredient that will give you the best results, so mix five together and ignore everything else. It's amazing how many different meals there are in the game, adding salt to things changes their name and description, there are 3 or 4 different ways to prepare meat, etc. But at the end of the day all of the materials have an effect when cooked and they add together linearly to form the final meal, so why bother experimenting when five of the same thing gives the best results? It's something I'd love to see expanded in future installments.

Another thing I really hope gets fleshed out in future is the armour system. The set bonuses are cool but a little restrictive because it's always better to wear the whole set if you have it, but one underused feature might mitigate this some what. A few pieces of clothing in the game have unique effects all by themselves, most notably two of the three pieces of swimming gear giving you new abilities in the water. I hope that more of them do in the future to make the customisation feel a little more meaningful.

At the end of the day though, no matter the flaws, I'm going to remember this game for a long time. It was an amazing world to explore.

#18: Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment: 6.4 hours
If you've never played Shovel Knight, do that first. It's an amazing platformer, if you have then this expansion is a real treat.

Yacht Club really went all out this time. While Plague of Shadows used the same levels as the original Shovel Knight campaign, and functioned as a concurrent side-story, Specter of Torment is a prequel with all new level layouts. The game shows how Specter Knight and the Enchantress assembled the Order of No Quarter seen in Shovel Knight, and provides some unexpected backstory connecting some of the characters.

Once again Spectre Knight controls differently to the previous protagonists. He has a basic slash, can run up walls a short distance, wall jump, he can grind on rails, and he has a homing attack. This homing attack, the Dash Slash, lets you do a diagonal dash when you're near an enemy (up or down is determined by height). This ability is used to great effect, with lanterns and enemies strewn throughout the levels to give you a path forward across traps and pits. Unfortunately it also makes combat somewhat easy, especially when combined with a magic item that lets you trade mana for health. Weirdly considering the character action style moveset that Specter Knight has, the platforming still takes centre stage. Oh also there's a new mix of the soundtrack and it's great

#19: Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith: 11.1 hours
While this expansion is structured in a much more interesting way than the base game I'm hesitant to call it better. All the problems I already had with the combat persist and a few new enemies have shown up to put a spanner in the works. The aforementioned structrure is interesting though. For the first few levels you play as Kyle Katarn as in the base game, but eventually he wanders of to investigate a temple on a distant planet. You spend the rest of the game as Mara Jade running some jobs, before heading to the temple as well to figure out why Kyle hasn't come back yet. The temple also marks a shift in gameplay because all of your weapons save the lightsaber fail to work there. It's actually a bit disappointing because it means that you don't get as much time as you'd hope to play with the one new weapon addition, a scoped rifle. That said it's a very janky implementation of a scope, as it functions as separate weapon that you switch to.

There's a new common enemy, a sort of lion, that you will fight over and over in the last few levels (where you have no ranged weapons). It can leap across a room in a fraction of a second and it can kill you in a few hits, they're a pain to fight and I have no regrets ducking behind a corner and saving every time I see one.

Oh and I almost forgot, this campaign integrates Force powers into the level design. With a lot of places where using a Force jump to get to a platform or a Force pull to activate a switch or disarm an enemy is required. But then you run into that last set of levels again and everything's immune to your powers anyway.

#20: BYE-BYE BOXBOY!: 9.6 hours
So I actually finished this game on the 27th of April and forgot to write it up. While that seems damning I actually enjoyed this final entry in the trilogy more than the other two, which I quite liked. This game adds more than the second game, which mostly focused on how being able to summon two sets of boxes interacted with the existing mechanics. This entry is constantly throwing new mechanics at you and it's better for it. The Boxboy concept honestly doesn't really lend itself very well to complicated puzzles and adding more mechanics is a good way to keep things fresh. Though like the previous ones this game still doesn't really fully develop them until the post-game worlds. Some of the new mechanics take the form of special boxes (rockets, bombs, etc) and that's a space the series hasn't explored before so that feels really nice too. All in all the series goes out on a high note but the games are all pretty interchangeable.

#21: Professor Layton and the Lost Future: 11.9 hours
Not much to say here, it's another Layton game that follows the same general structure as the last two. It's good if you like the series, though the plot is a bit nonsense (even in the context of the other games.
Main Post - Part 1
Main Post - Part 2

Finishing the DLC for these first two is on indefinite hold so I guess now is a good time to talk about them.

#22: Overcooked
What a great concept, what great execution. Overcooked is a 4-player couch co-op cooking game with very simple but enjoyable gameplay. You're in a kitchen, orders come in at the top of the screen, you have to make the required food and send it off to the customer. The faster you fulfill the order, the higher the tip you get. Fail to get an order out in the time limit and you lose points. You have chopping boards to cut things, pans to fry things, pots to make soup, etc. The recipes themselves start very simple but become a little more complex over time. For example to make a burger you need to pound meat into a patty before cooking it, then adding it to the burger with the rest of the ingredients. Further complicating things is that you only have 3 plates and they have to be washed after they're used.

But the real joy of Overcooked comes from the level design. Nobody should ever want to cook in any of the kitchens in this game, they are designed to cause you headaches. From a rocking ship that causes the counters to slide all over the place, to a series of trucks on a highway, movement is generally limited in some way making coordination and efficient delegation of tasks the keys to success.

The presentation gives the game a ton of charm too. The plot revolves around a group of 1-4 chefs tasked by the Onion King (a giant sentient onion) with feeding a giant spaghetti monster to death. They fail, and so are sent back in time to prepare and learn how to work together better as a team. There are also a ton of playable characters to choose from, but my favourite character is the default chef who is always maniacally grinning, even while chopping food. If you haven't played this game yet, grab some friends and get to it.

#23: Affordable Space Adventures: 4.7 hours
Affordable Space Adventures is a 2D puzzle game, where you and up to two friends pilot a spaceship (but you really should play with all three). One person flies the ship, one person controls the flare gun and scanner, and the last has control of the ship's systems on the Wii U Gamepad. This last position is what gives the game it's hook, with only that person able to see how the ship is configured, and trying to take orders from the other two to get through the game. Most enemies can't be destroyed, instead you have to scan them to find out whether they respond to noise, heat, or electricity, and then keep the ships levels below their detection threshold.

There are a lot of toys to play with, with extra bits and bobs being unlocked throughout the game. A few of the puzzles are a bit unpolished though, introducing new concepts out of nowhere and expecting you to pick up on them right away. But there's not really a whole lot else to say about it. It's engaging the whole way through, it looks and sounds fantastic. Go check it out.

#24: Dishonored 2: 49.5 hours
I enjoyed Dishonored 2 even more than the first game, and that's saying a lot. Emily's totally new power set is a breath of fresh area most games wouldn't dare to implement (though the option to play as Corvo with the old powers softens that somewhat). But this really is Emily's story, and you should definitely play as her at least the first time through.

Far Reach is a lot more finicky than Blink, but once you get used to it's quirks it's far more interesting. It functions more like a grappling hook than a teleport, pulling you forward and giving you momentum if you want it. If you're willing to take the leap you can go much further, much faster. This comes with a trade-off in that you can't use it to gain much height under most circumstances, with it preferring to target the ground beyond a certain distance in front of you. But you can upgrade it to snatch guards which is the best feeling in the world so on the whole it's a great power.

The game still suffers from a lack of non-lethal and stealth options, but I'm coming to see this as a good thing. When you go assault in this game it becomes far too easy, you are so mobile and powerful that you can clear an area in seconds without breaking a sweat. If you self-impose a non-lethal or ghost (never spotted) run the game becomes far more interesting as you can't just run in and kill everyone. It can be argued that the game letting you play it guns blazing is a bad thing, and I can see that, but I had no problem imposing the restrictions on myself to make it more fun.

As much as I enjoyed this game, I'm really glad I held off. The improvements made to it post-launch have made it feel like a much more cohesive and complete whole. New Game Plus is great fun, turning you into even more of a god of silent death, and the custom difficulty settings are amazing. You can individually modify over 20 parameters including how much potions heal you, and how much awareness guards have of areas above them. In addition you can customise the FPS threshold and lower limit of the dynamic resolution scaling. More games should have this much customisation, it's great.

Dishonored 2 didn't light the world on fire, and it's definitely more of the same. More tools, more powers, more of the world to explore. But it's a great game and if you liked the first one (and feel like playing it for another 30 hours) you should definitely check this out.

#25: Gain Ground: 9 hours
This was a nice surprise but also a bit of a disappointment. Gain Ground is a top down shooter of sorts that plays unlike anything else I've ever seen before. You start with three characters, each with their own movement speed, 8-directional standard attack and a unique special attack. One can throw a spear in any direction that goes over short walls, one can fire long range shots towards the top of the screen even while strafing, and the last can throw a grenade over short walls, also only in one direction.

Your objective is to either get all three characters to the exit of the map, or kill all the enemies. If someone is hit they stay on the map and must be lead to the exit by the next character. If the next character is also hit then the first character is gone for good. Many of the maps contain other characters that can be taken to the exit to add them to your character pool, and this is where the game reveals itself. There's a long list of characters with varied special shots and in many of the levels knowing which ones are capable of surviving is the key to victory. Lose too many and you may find yourself in a tight spot later on when there are gunmen in the battlements and all of your people who can aim that high are dead.

The dynamic this creates of having to quickly assess your roster and the map and determine which characters to deploy and in which order to clear out the enemies is fascinating and a ton of fun. But after a while the enemies become faster, with better weapons, and the fun starts to wear off. After trying to play the game the whole way through about 10 times getting hit by gunfire I was unable to dodge and losing the character I knew the next level really needed, or trying to learn a boss pattern knowing that if I got hit I might as well restart wore thin. Luckily I was playing via Sega Game Room and I could just save scum my way to victory.

Great concept, would love to see other games expand on it, the arcade-era design isn't really for me.

#26: Boson X: 5.8 hours
Initially I hated this game, about halfway through the first world I was ready to give up. But then eventually I realised that I was playing the game all wrong, the correct way to play doesn't necessarily make the game good, but it certainly makes it more enjoyable.

Boson X is an endless runner set inside a hexagonal track. Press forwards to jump forwards, press left to jump forwards and rotate the track anti-clockwise, press right to rotate it clockwise. If you hold down the button you jump further until eventually you fall below the track and die. Simple stuff. The other main mechanic is that there are blue pads on the ground that fill a charge meter when you run over them, making you run slightly faster in the process. When you hit 100% you "finish" the level and enter a boost mode and are able to rack up bonus percentage before your extra speed inevitably sends you careening into the abyss.

Before I talk about what I didn't like I want to say that I really like the general idea of the boost pads. The riskier you are with your jumps, the longer you stay on each one, the more charge you can extract from them, which can later save you from leaving one at 99% and dying before you reach the next. My main problem was with the way the levels are designed. Each of the game's 18 levels are procedural assembled from sections exclusive to that level, and some of them require a lot of rote learning to be able to navigate successfully. It really sucked when I would only see a component I was bad at later on in a level, before I managed enough practice to get past it consistently. But more than that it leads to the feeling that finishing a level is less about learning how to deal with all of the patterns, and more waiting until you randomly roll a long enough sequence of patterns you're good at to reach 100%. Sometimes the level would throw patterns with impossible to reach boost pads at me as well which just felt mean-spirited, but that's the least of the problems really.

Overall once I came to terms with the fact that Boson X was one part rote learning and one part waiting for a lucky roll I had a lot of fun with it.

Currently playing: Still making my way through Inazuma Eleven[/QUOTE]

I also want to talk about Towerfall, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Screencheat once I've put more time into them.

Blindy

latest

Kirby & Sackboy, eat your cute little heart outs. Piggsy is here and is in the mood of love.....the love of carved out flesh :)

17) Manhunt(PS3 emulation) 3/14-3/25

Truth be told, the game is nowhere near this long, just there were days that due to being exhausted from work that I didn't play anything for the day. That and like with plenty of stealth games, I take my sweet ass time to not screw anything up. For most people, they can wipe out people 1-2-3, for me I try and calculate a move and what to do next.

This game had very good memories for me when I played this around 2008 but it was something i never finished for whatever reason. I stopped playing around the middle of the 14th scene if I recall so after getting this game on a flash sale last year, I thought coming fresh off a plat'd open world game like Horizon, that a much more linear, less complicated game would be the way to go. Why I stopped, is a really good question. Nothing wrong with the game, I just happen to find it somewhat difficult when the guns got involved and still to this day for me, each scene is so draining with them taking a little under an hour for much of the scenes throughout the game that I might have just been overwhelmed. Add in me being a college student and having failing grades at that time that I picked up on big time and yeah.

What I really enjoy about Manhunt altogether is that it isn't overshadowed by it's appeal of being gorey and violent. Maybe to a common person, that's all they see of this game and completely write it off but what you have a is a solid stealth entry for half of the game with terrific atmosphere, a great antagonist/protagonist combo with the former having terrific voice acting. The AI gradually picks up with gang by gang(And there's a ton of em from hoodz to skinz to wardogs to innocentz to smileyz to the police to CEREBUS) and you need to adapt to what the game wants you do. You have 20 scenes filled with some peculiar and unique themes in each one such as having to take co-op partners(None are backbreaking to carry around given you can dump em harmlessly in the shadows) to get around a level or having to wipe out an enemy infested prison in a Time Crisis/Max Payne style of gun-hodown to the common sneak and kill victims to get around to an area. The dialogue of the bad guys helps with the overall atmosphere of this game and keeps you laughing or wanting to smash a bigot's face in with the baseball bat in your possession as soon as you get an opening.

There's solid gameplay to be had but it is outdated as far as the gunplay goes. It gave me glimpses of Time Crsis of the "Pop up, shoot, duck, reload" routine where if you stick yourself out too much you're going to get your health dropped early and often and given this game for much of the 2nd half shifts from pure stealth over to gun play, you'll need to pick up on this trick to even make it through the game. For some, the shift of stealth to gunplay can be a letdown but I didn't mind it so much. It's just the auto lock is very wonky at times where 1 shot to the head saves you ammo and calling on reinforcements where as the game will accidentally give you a shot towards the torso which pending on the gun you have will take more than one ammo and it leaves you in a vulnerable spot.

The story and controls are simple and it's again much appreciated coming off a quality open world experience that I did. You are the star of a snuff film series after being saved from the electrical chair/death and are thrown in a sick director's game of kill or be killed to move on. Very few controls change throughout the game, you get a mini tutorial level to open up but it's simple enough that it's an easy experience yet one mistake or getting too greedy will cost you severely. Add some micromanaging with the painkillers/health and there's some strategy involved with this game. You get weapons from a crowbar to a baseball bat to a glass shard to a paper bag to guns like sub machine gun, shotgun, assault rifle, sniper riffle, revolver so there's a range of weapons to use and some come in better scenarios than others(Long range gun play favors the pistol, upclose fights shotgun is your buddy, assault rifle wipes down the CEREBUS like no tomorrow)

There's a star rating at the end of each mission that opens up side content like art, minigames etc. but nothing too necessary but you'll want to see as many executions as possible to see how crazy the game can get with a simple item like a glass shard and see how it can be used on an enemy. The game has a 3 mode execution style with white being rather tame, yellow being somewhat severe and red being grotesque. It's kinda cool to see all 3 get used but in the grand scheme of things, a kill is a kill so you can't go wrong with any of the 3 and to not get greedy, it pays to just settle with a 1 or 2 level execution and go about your business.

The graphics are PS2 level, what you see is what you'll get. They are clearly outdated but this isn't a game to be blown away upon from a graphics element. It's the atmosphere that this game has where this game will scare you without the supernatural being involved and doesn't rely too badly on jump scares to get your goosebumps shivering. Every move, every calculation will be paramount so your decisions as far as getting a kill goes is vital to survive. The music isn't overbearing but it flows right through like spread butter on a hot piece of toast. I do wish the ending was a bit more satisfying but you get your hands on tons of evil people and get to slay the man who had you in a dazed nightmare throughout the game so you get what you wanted just wish there was more to it in that aspect.

Recommendation: Yay or nay.

It's a game you get to bash the brains in of pedophiles, serial killers, white supremacists, and a morbidly obese deranged looney with a decayed pig mask and chainsaw, what's there not to like?

If you like stealth games and don't mind the very violent nature of the game, give this a shot and if you can get it for the PS4 it has trophy support so all the more better. This game is half stealth but does divulge into Max Payne like gunplay for the 2nd portion to change things up. The game's simplicity is a very good thing(At least for me) and you are getting a lengthy(well unless you bumrush through everything which props to you if you do) amount of content in this game. Game was everybit as good as I remember it to be.

Tizoc

TrqubRh.jpg

A Bird Story is a 2D Adventure game about a little boy who befriends a bird that he saves one day on his way home.
The boy is something of a loner, hardly any friends and his parents or guardian are mostly away at work, such that when he returns from school, no one is home and he spends all his time alone.
The game is short, being about 2 hours long and has no dialog whatsoever, as everything is depicted visually by the sprite's actions and animations.
I found it to be a heartwarming story and strongly recommend more people to give it a try, esp. as the music is beautiful.

carda114

I'm gonna give this a shot. No idea if it'll pan out in the end, but whatever. Let's get started.

1. Final Fantasy X HD

I've long held somewhat negative views towards this game. And there's plenty about it that I still don't like -- for instance, I feel the pacing of it is a bit off, and much of the late game content that you could do requires far more of a time investment than I am willing to make. I also really hated the voice acting for the longest time, and I still don't think it's all that great. However, I've sort of mellowed on it over the years and found a lot to laugh at with regards to the line deliveries and so on, but I also came to appreciate on this playthrough how good a job the developers did in fleshing out the themes of corrupt organized religion and a "death-obsessed" culture in the world of Spira. It's somewhat Nietzschean, highlighting how the lives which Yevonites lead is one which denies life and embraces death in a never-ending spiral of destruction. I even came to appreciate Tidus's backstory more which, spoiler alert,
involves him being literally a dream manifested by dead people who have been turned into singing statues that maintain a dream version of a long-lost city and all its inhabitants. This fixation on a long-dead city, kept alive only in dream, fits in well with the game's own thematic concerns and doesn't feel as shoehorned in as I may have felt before.
So basically, my estimation of this game increased some. It's still not one of my favorite entries in the franchise, but I'm willing to say it's good now.

2. Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue

I had never played KH3D before despite owning it on 3DS, and now I feel like I don't really have to. The game plays very well at 60 FPS and having a proper controller in hand mitigates camera issues. While the game's story itself is basically nonsense at this point, what kept me going was the quality of some of the worlds in design and layout. I enjoy having large worlds to poke around in and to collect things in, so I naturally aimed at collecting every treasure chest I could. And some of these worlds and the gimmicks they bring to the game are pretty excellent, actually, especially the Country of the Musketeers and Symphony of Sorcery, and giving both Sora and Riku different things to check out made sure that visiting the same worlds didn't become stale like in Birth by Sleep (which featured, in my memory at least, a lot more overlap between the three protagonists). Playing -a fragmentary passage- was pretty neat, though it's fairly short. However, I liked the level gimmicks in it as well, and it's pretty damn pretty to say the least. I skipped Back Cover, since the folks at Square-Enix can't direct anything resembling a feature film to save their lives.

3. Resident Evil 7

An incredible return to form for this franchise. Things are brought back to a more intimate scale, the protagonist is generally a regular guy, and the Bakers exude personality and horror. I played the entire game in VR and it was an incredibly intense experience – this game will invade your personal space often this way, and it's great.

4. NieR: Automata

Quite possibly my game of the year. Platinum Games and Yoko Taro are a match made in heaven: their love of switching up the rules of the game and Taro's willingness to push what a game is capable of, even at the risk of alienating, annoying, or angering his audience, results in a truly thought provoking game. If you haven't played it yet, go in as fresh as possible, as the game is determined to surprise you as often as possible, especially if it can be used against you later. And I could not stay away: after getting all the trophies (legit, I swear) on PSN, I bought the Steam release and picked up a new game.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Just as Resident Evil 7 returned to the guiding design philosophies which shaped the first title in the franchise, so too does the latest Zelda. What Nintendo does with Breath of the Wild is not so much innovative and unique, but carefully constructed of the parts from open world titles that came before it; however, calling it derivative would be wrong. Breath of the Wild utilizes the many mechanics it brings together, from crafting and survival to combat to open world exploration, in a thoughtful way while preserving the sense of exploration and discovery so vital to this kind of game. Waypoints almost never guide you to where you need to go – actual, honest to goodness directions, hints, and riddles instead encourage you to tease out locations based on the areas named on the map, and scaling a tower merely fills in more of that map, never highlighting what exactly there is to find. The result is that the world encourages and rewards exploring and wanderlust, rather than pushing players down checklists for sidequests and main quests unless they desire to. I spent over a hundred hours in this world, and I doubt I found everything.

4. Night in the Woods (reserved)

5. Persona 5 (reserved)

6. Gravity Rush 2 (reserved)

7. Horizon: Zero Dawn (reserved)

Finished Tales Of Symphonia. I really should take a break and write something about the games I've been finishing but I'm not really into doing it right now lol.

Weiss

Banned
17. Dark Souls

I made a RTTP that better detailed my feelings, so I'll just say I liked and hated Dark Souls. The lore is good but all the bosses except for O&S suck.

Master post (WP)

23. Super Mario Land (2 1/2 - 3 hours)
Here’s another game from my childhood that I never beat as a kid. Game Boy was the first gaming device I ever owned, and because of this, Super Mario Land was one of the first games I ever owned. I had friends with NES and SNES, so I played the console Mario games. Even as a kid, Super Mario Land often felt like a cheap imitation of it’s console counterparts, and still to this day that feels true.

Right off the bat, when you start to play the game you’ll notice that the sprites are miniscule. Goombas, for instance, are a tiny cluster of dots. Having such small sprites on an already very low resolution screen makes the game look bad. There is a part in the game where you’re underwater, and a part where you’re on what appears to be Easter Island, and the potential for great looking levels is ruined by how few pixels every piece of art actually is.

Once you start playing, you’ll notice there’s a real imprecision to how the game plays. Mario doesn’t stop on a dime, but rather slows gradually to a stop. There are times when it feels like you should have hit a question mark block, but you don’t. There are times it feels like you should hit an enemy and don’t, resulting in the enemy hitting you and you losing your power-up or a life. Finally, there are times when it feels like you should have landed on a platform but don’t, resulting in cheap deaths. If the QA department was a little more diligent, these are all mistakes that could have been corrected.

These two rather large complaints aside, the game isn’t a half-bad platformer. Super Mario Land follows the same formula as Super Mario Bros, where, after completing a set number of stages, you learn the princess isn’t in that world. Only instead of Toad telling you this, an enemy is disguised as the princess, and says “Thank you Mario.” only then to reveal himself.

The platforming elements can be challenging, and the difficulty level ramps up as you keep playing. I really dislike when a game’s first level is about as challenging as it’s last, so I’m glad there’s a difficulty curve. There are only four worlds in Super Mario Land, as compared to Super Mario Bros’ eight, but that seems to go along with Nintendo’s mentality in the early days of Game Boy. Back then, Game Boy’s games frequently were lesser in quality and length then their console counterparts.

This game is interesting from a historical perspective. It’s sort of Gunpei Yokoi and crew at Nintendo R&D1 taking a crack at the Super Mario Bros. formula. Despite fuzzy controls and poor sprite work, there is a good platforming game in here, albeit somewhat short. What makes it really interesting is looking at how much better Nintendo R&D1 got at making a Mario game with the sequel, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins, which I rank as one of the best 2D platformers ever made. Give Super Mario Land a try if you’re curious to play one of Mario’s weaker platforming entries.
3/5

Desi

Game: 4

MASS EFFECT:: Finally after ten years and two versions I can finally say finished the first game of this trilogy. Still love the world building and the art direction of this title above what I played of the sequels. Level 50 Fem Shepard Infiltrator/Commando.

MASS EFFECT 2:: Blasted my way through ME2 as a sniper Sentinel. Felt good mowing down all those Collectors at the end from across the level. Final Squad for the suicide mission was my main man Legion and Jack.

Mafia 2:: Took awhile to get a hang of the way the game utilizes police chases with car plates and visual sight lines. After a bit of playing around, I fell in love with the game except I wish I upgraded all my cars before my house burned down and I was made broke. Also, why make a game without the ability to save anywhere.

MASS EFFECT 3:: This game was truly a joyride.

Grand Theft Auto 5:: I couldn't let my homies die. Fun as fuck and some of the best missions in the series that I've played.

Tizoc

This game is available among the PSP SNK Arcade Classics collection.
This beat'em-up is a hilarious rip off of Final Fight, right down to the characters being expies of FF1's trio: Duke is Cody, Ryu is Guy and Billy is Haggar. Both Duke and Cody have blonde hair, guess they forgot to die one of them black or brown apparently.
Gameplay wise, it is very bland, but what I really liked were the locations you traverse as they all looked like actual areas in Japan from street shops to the underground mall.
The game also features Hulk Hogan as a boss along with 2 of his tag team mates that you fight as bosses.

Presisng both Jump+Attack will execute a power attack that drains a portion of your health, Duke's power attack is the Shinryuken, but would later go on to be used as part of Robert and Ryo's supers in later KoF games.

TBH this game is overall forgettable aside from the design of the backgrounds being set in Japan and Hulk Hogan being a boss. Though I don't get why 90% of the enemies are non Japanese...

original post

Game 12: Nier: Automata (PS4) - 30 hours

I will say that I liked the first Nier more, even in gameplay. But unlike others I always thought the latter was always great to begin with. Either way, the sequel isn't short of memorable moments and it should be commended for going into different directions. The gameplay. which mostly consists of either close ranged combat or schmup sections, has a polished feeling, which lends itself well to lots of spectacle and many grand setpieces. Not last because of the game's soundtrack, which is everything one could ask for. Only excluding the fact that in a few too many instances the low-key versions of a track are played instead the vocalised ones, which are the ones you play Nier for.
Sadly, what falls flat compared to Nier are the two main characters (plus, they look dumb). What's far more intriguing are the antagonists and the overall weirdness of the plot. Unfortunately, many integral moments of world building are found within less than spectacular fetch quests, like in the first Nier, which certainly can't keep up with the main campaign. Diving into the full package however will offer great themes and it's going to quickly challenge your view on game design.

Game 13: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - 70 hours

Without a doubt, not many open world games feel this free within their actual campaign and the game's overworld is nicely designed to keep your attention through dozens of hours, that is without any kind of blatant handholding. Climbing any mountain or letting yourself drift through a landscape's river to wherever it may lead feels sometimes unprecedented. However, the same exploration often fails to deliver appropriate payoffs. There are stretches of tedium, whenever exploring leads to nothing but the same predictable findings over and over again. While some of the mini-dungeons offer good variation, a proper implementation into the overworld would have greatly improved both their existence and the world itself. Even if it meant cutting the 120 of them into half. Also, the game's higher difficulty is commendable, which makes most items that you find a beneficial reward. Yet, finding the umpteenth throwaway orb can equally lead to disappointments. That could have easily been fixed by increasing the number of special permanent items like the master sword. Despite some good enough dialogue, the open world has also lead to one of the least remarkable stories in Zelda since the SNES days (featuring amateurish voice acting). And while we're at it, the controls are pretty bad by Nintendo standards.
Still, all the other hours of addictive exploration aren't something to scoff at, even if the series' new formula needs finetuning.

Weiss

Banned
18. Ratchet & Clank - Into the Nexus

I imagine I'm pretty alone in this, but I think this is one of the best Ratchet games out there. The story is great, the Progs are wonderful villains and the Clank levels are fun for the first time in the entire series. If it had a few more planets and weapons, and didn't
kill off Cronk and Zephyr
it would probably be my number one pick for the whole series.

madjoki

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

#18 - Deus Mankind Divded - A Criminal Past
header.jpg

Solid DLC piece. Very challenging if
you choose to not have augments fixed and try to stealth it
, unlike base game where it was usually very easy.

#19 - SuperHot
header.jpg

#20 - Dead Space 3 -14 hours

#21 - Crysis 3 - 10 hours

Another older game. This one still holds up very well and looks very nice. But even still game is very demanding

#22 - Homefront: The Revolution - Beyond Walls ~2h
header.jpg

Best piece of DLC for this game. Story wise reminded a lot of Half-Life 2 episode 2.
Overall Season Pass content were good. I say being more linear than base game and leaving open world fluff behind was a good decision.

#23 - Mass Effect 3 - Citadel
#23 - Mass Effect 3 Leviathan

Finally got around to playing these DLCs right before Andromeda. I have to say after this time, controls felt really dated (KBM).

#24 - Watch Dogs 2 - Human Conditions ~ 4h
header.jpg

Enjoyable DLC, expect
part where you are stuck in selfdriving car, which would regularly get stuck to everything, causing many many deaths without checkpoints and part after that had very nasty frame rate drops from 50-60 fps to 15fps

Currently Playing

• Hollow Knight
  • Mass Effect Andromeda

Possibly next

Pillars of Eternity
Rise of The Tomb Raider - Baba Yaga
The Witcher 3 DLC
Total Warhammer
The Evil Within

Original Post

14. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
~50 hours
PvpO01e.jpg

I'm not sure what can be said about this game that hasn't been said already, but this was definitely a game full of magic. I've not felt quite this way playing a game in a long time. 10/10

15. Mass Effect: Andromeda
39 hours
F1EDZMa.jpg

So, I have mixed feelings about this game. I think it's a pretty good game, all told. The combat is great and I'll likely keep returning for more multiplayer (some of my hours went into that). The main story is actually pretty great, in my opinion. The characters are not bad, but they're not as good as some others in the original trilogy. I think the main part that messed me up and made the game drag on for me was that the side quest and exploration design didn't feel rewarding or like there was enough context for what I was doing. Whereas Zelda or other games have this huge and interesting open world with numerous secrets in it, this just felt like a map to run from point A to B in. What's more, the stories for the side quests weren't all that compelling so that I wouldn't mind that, like in The Witcher 3. However, I would still recommend this game for the combat, main story, and a few choice side missions alone. 7/10

16. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
7 hours
header.jpg

I had heard that this game was recommended for fans of Mass Effect, so while playing Andromeda, I thought I'd pull it out and give it a shot. The campaign is a lot of fun, the writing is really strong, and there are some real jaw-dropping moments. I must say, I was not expecting such a high level of quality from a COD campaign, but there it is. 8/10

In-Progress and Upcoming Games
Horizon: Zero Dawn - ~15 hours in
Tales of Berseria - ~14 hours in, co-oping with my GF on the weekends
Persona 5
Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladio

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
OP

44SEIjg.jpg

Xbox 360

With the release of the new Mass Effect, to middling reviews, I thought I'd go back to the original trilogy for a go around the traverse with Shepard and friends. I still adore this game and the world built within it. Wrex is still my favourite character (maybe within any series) with his no f***s given attitude. However...The Mako sections are so damn tedious. Like trying to drive a bouncy castle on wheels.
8/10

fSXLJyy.jpg

Playstation 4

The best Arkham game? I'd say so. This game is still ageing so well and the story is so well written for what essentially has no links to a comic series. The fighting system is sexy and the voice talent superb. I can take or leave the Riddler trophies if I'm being honest. They have a touch of the Assassins Creed Unity about them in their sheer numbers.
8/10

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
#14 Doctor Mario Miracle Cure
3Ds. Cleared all the challenges on all difficulties. Fun game. Doctor Luigi da beds.

#15 Nier Automata
PS4. So good. So so good. I adore the Drakengard franchise and this is easily the best game in the franchise.

Weiss

Banned
Turns out I played these too.

19. Killer7

It's Killer7.

20. Asura's Wrath

It sucks and I hate it even though Asura is incomparably cool.

Master post (WP)

24. Dead Space (23 hours)
Dead Space is a cross between a survival horror game and an over-the-shoulder third person shooter. The influence the game plainly wears on it’s sleeve is Resident Evil 4, which I had the fortune of playing recently. RE4 basically invented this style of game. That said, Dead Space has unique appeal of it’s own, with a lot of polish, and a good story with a nice flow to it. Though enemy encounters are occasionally too frequent (especially in the latter half), Dead Space is an enjoyable thriller with a long campaign and solid gameplay.

The game is set on a spaceship, the Ishimura, originally involved in a mining operation that’s gone wrong and has sent out a distress signal. Your crew arrives on another ship, the Kellion, to investigate the signal. Upon arrival, you discover alien creatures have taken over the ship, who are extremely good at killing humans. The ship is mostly abandoned, aside from the aliens. The Kellion gets destroyed early in the game, leaving you and your crewmates to survive on the Ishimura among the violent alien creatures. You play an engineer, Isaac Clarke, whose girlfriend is believed to be alive somewhere on this ship.

You get a gun early on, and you soon learn that shooting the aliens limbs off is a faster way to kill them then head or body shots. This motif lasts for the entire game, and is a neat hook. If you want to conserve ammo, you better be aiming for the arms and legs. I started playing with the Steam Controller, on which aiming is a little imprecise, and I imagine this was deliberate to add to the game’s tension. About halfway through the game, I switched to mouse and keyboard, and outcomes of enemy encounters got a lot better.

It’s pretty obvious what you can and can’t interact with, and exploring rooms results in stumbling upon extra ammo, health kits, and money. Also strangely enough, aliens carry all of these things, which you can pick up after killing them. There are times when you’re in short supply of the items you need, namely ammo and medkits. Normally, you're close to a store, which can sell you these things, but every credit you spend on something like ammo is a credit that’s not going toward something like a suit upgrade or new gun. You need to use resources wisely.

There’s also a workbench where you can upgrade weapons, armor, and abilities via upgrade trees. You pick up Power Nodes in your quest, and each one can be used to upgrade a weapon or your space suit. I put all of my upgrades into three weapons as well as my suit, which worked out well. Being in three unique weapons gave me good variety for different enemy encounters. Also, spending on the suit game me more breathing time in outer space and more health. I rolled my eyes when I first saw the classic back-of-the-box “RPG Elements” box get ticked, but in playing the game, I thought it worked out well. I was noticing and appreciating the upgrades.

The story of what happened to the people of the Ishimura is told through audio logs, video logs, and text logs scattered throughout the ship. Many on the Ishimura have fallen victim to a religious cult, in which dying is how you get admitted. You also come to find some people are still alive on the Ishimura, and for some it’s questionable if they actually want to help you or take advantage of you. Meanwhile, you and the crew of the Kellion are just trying to stay safe. I thought the story was excellent. There are plot twists you don’t see coming, especially by the end. The story is probably what kept me coming back to Dead Space the most.

The UI is an achievement. Rather than health being a bar in the top left corner, your health is a series of bars on the back of Isaac’s space suit. To check your inventory or see where the next objective is, a screen appears in front of Isaac, which is also visible to you. At no point (unless you press Start/Escape to pause) are you taken out of the action by looking at or using the UI. It keeps you in the game at all times.

Also an achievement is the sound design. It’s incredibly eerie. There are times when you don’t really know if enemies are right around the corner or if it’s just a dramatic use of strings for the scene. Graphically as well, the game shines with excellent use of lighting and fog. Playing on PC is the way to go, as there are a number of graphical settings that can be turned on that aren’t in the console version. Unfortunately, Anti-Aliasing is just an On/Off setting, not a 8x or 16x setting, so some aliasing is noticeable. Still, the game has excellent graphics for a last-gen title and looks great at 60fps.

This was a hard game for me to finish. I played on Normal difficulty, and even then, there were spots that were extremely difficult. It’s a long campaign, and took me 23 hours to complete. Finally, the game really is tense, and there were times when I just needed to take a breather before getting back into the fray. None of this is to say Dead Space is a bad game though. From graphics to gameplay, story to sound design, Dead Space is one of last generation’s best. The plot twists at the end are worth the (presently low) cost of admission alone. Dead Space is a great space opera with truly scary moments and a story that keeps you hooked. I recommend this game.
5/5

Hikami

Main post

2. Nier: Automata
40 hours
oH9egpn.png

One of the GOATs. Instant top 10 game.

3. Dark Souls III: The Ringed City
6 hours
4PE9ANo.jpg

One of my least favorite DLCs from the series, sadly. Looking forward to whatever Fromsoft does next.

Tizoc

dQA7OmB.jpg

Sengoku (Denshou) is a beat'em-up released on the Neo Geo. This game is part of the SNK Arcade Classics that is available on PSN for PSP and Vita.
That kooky general Oda is at it again, this time resurrecting his castle and hordes of undead samurai, ninjas and monsters and what have you to take over America, apparently.
The game's setting has a post apocalyptic theme to it and I found it to be pretty neat.
Sadly however the game falls apart in its gameplay; movement and controls feel very stiff and your base melee attack has a pitiful short range that they make Dan's Gaduken look a KoF 97 projectile.
You can ger power up orbs that let you fire projectiles or wield swords. The latter power ups appear more frequently and while they give you some much needed range, they arne't that effective against enemies that wield sowrds themselves as your attacks are parried or clash with their swords that you barely deal any damage tot hem after whacking at them for 10 straight seconds...

The game felt too long for its own good, but I did like that they added some interesting spoken lines for the bosses.
All in all it is a pretty underwhelming beat'em-up. SNK not getting the genre right is pretty disappointing IMO.

Top Hunter is a 2D action game released in 1994. It's not a beat'em-up per se but the goal is to utilize your elongated arm to pick up items and enemies and use them to attack with.
It uses a 2 lanes sytem where pressing a button lets you jump into the background. The stages are pretty short (4 stages, each with 2 acts) but I felt that it was too difficult for its own good as hitting certain enemies and bosses was more tedious than it had any right to be.
The game is available as part of SNK Arcade Classics, just like Sengoku 1.

Main Post

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 120 hours - 10/10
Q86bkLw.png

Wow. This may possibly be my favourite game of all time. The amount of joy I experienced exploring Hyrule is simple unmatched.
The freedom from the very beginning was a breath of fresh air for the series, the game gives you an objective, and then leaves the rest up to you, and that holds true throughout. Just making my way around the plateau at the beginning was exhilarating, and that feeling came back again and again as I explored the various regions.
The physics system as well was a load of fun, you're given all the tools in the first few hours and the game makes good use of that fact. Almost every puzzle has multiple solutions and you have so much freedom is how you tackle them.
Not to mention the combat, there's a good feeling of weight to everything, bringing a large club down on a Bokoblin feels great, shooting arrows is satisfying, and the slow-mo when you time a dodge is phenomenal. I had so much fun mastering the systems here. I didn't even mind the weapon degradation, the game throws so many of them at you that cycling through them isn't an issue at all.
I could go on and on about this game but I'll save an even bigger write up for the GOTY thread ;)

Tizoc

Original post

header.jpg

Botanicula is a PnC Adventure game from Amanita who made Manchirium. You play as 5 forest critters who set on a quest to stop a dark spider monster from killing the giant tree they call home.
The game's puzzles aren't that difficult but the game's surreal or rather bizarre creature designs are its stand out.

I quite enjoyed my time with the game overall and would recommend it to fans of PnC games.

Tizoc

ikari3.jpg

Well THIS was a bore. Man pre-Neo Geo SNK were savages with their games.
This is an isometric action game where you go around punching and kicking people in the face while getting killed by them every 10 seconds or so. The game is boringly repetitive with the enemies being the same sprites over and over.
I was glad to DELETE it from my Vita after I had beaten it.

Weiss

Banned
21. Resident Evil 4

Why am I playing so many fucking video games. I don't even feel anything anymore when I do. It's just fucking busywork. I'm such an idiot.

I highly doubt I'm even gonna come close to this but thought it would be fun to see what I can get

1. Life is Strange - my second playthrough. One of the most emotionally powerful games I've ever played was just as good the second time

2. Final Fantasy XV - I started this last year and got bored of the open world but when I got back in around chapter 5 I really started to enjoy it through to the end.

3. Resident Evil 7 Biohazard - best RE in years, fantastic return to form

4. Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth by Sleep A Fragmentary Passage - solid prequel to what we can expect from KH3 if it ever comes out

5. Yakuza 0 - another kick ass game in this series

6. Nioh - a great spin on the Souls formula

7. Horizon Zero Dawn - super cool concept with a far better story than I was anticipating

8. Dishonored Definitive Edition - huge fan of this series and had a ton of fun playing this one for the first time since it originally launched

Working on Nier and Mass Effect right now

gsaizbc.png

32:17h. Did maybe half of the sidequests I came across. No postgame.

I played this with my wife and, while I liked it, she didn't. We're both fans of the "classic" Final Fantasy games, but I'm an up-to-date gamer and she's more, well, stuck in the early 2000s. But even though I liked FFXV, I understand why she didn't like it. FFs have always been about epic, larger-than-life stories, with romance, drama and sci-fi, and FFXV... is more of a quiet action RPG and a road-trip about duty and friendship. The plot sometimes feels like an afterthought as the focus is on the interpersonal relationships of the four main characters.

So I guess it all boils down to how much you like Noctis, Prompto, Ignis and Gladiolus. I felt a connection immediately to the four of them - particularly to Noctis, who looks like your typical emo FF protagonist, but he's actually a kind, chill, kinda shy guy.

The only gripes I have are the combat system, which sometimes boils to "button mash while you keep healing yourself", and that the final 10h of the plot feel really, really rushed. Also, the way to go back
to the open-world area after it stops making sense plot-wise
is clunky, awkward and most of the time you simply won't "feel" it. If they had mantained the
open-world road-trip style
until the end, the game would've been much better, perhaps an instant classic.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

dougalism

Neo Member
March update

Dougalism - Progress 27/52

Game 21: Blues & Bullets Episode 1 +2 (PS4) - 1/3
It'll be a real shame if this never gets finished.

Game 22: Dyad (PS3) - 2/3
Beaten all main game levels, I'm never going to beat the vast majority of those trophy levels.

Game 23: Asura's Wrath: Part IV, Lost Episode 1+2 (PS3) - 2/3
Part.Of.The.Problem. This was never ever going on sale and I wanted to see the actually ending. Punching planet sized deities never gets old.

Game 24: Starwhal (PS4) - 5/3
I think I like this. Started out really hating the controls and whilst in the challenge mode they are still a pain, in versus they aren't as bothersome.

Game 25: Sine Mora (VITA) - 6/3
I actually beat a SHUMP, granted quite a few continues where used but still the credits were seen and that's good enough for me.

Game 26: Broken Age (PS4) - 14/3
I used a guide for act 2. Those hexipad puzzles were irritating.

Game 27: Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (PS2) - 27/3
I bought this day one, 7 years ago, not sure why it took me so long to get around to. Really good, it's a real pity that we've got no other Sakura Wars games localized. Also is
Oda Nobunga
(main bad guy) the most used bad guy in games?

It really doesn't feel like I've beaten 7 games this month, granted 1 of them is 40% of a game and another was DLC, still they all count.

Theswweet

Been a while since I updated this!

#7 Nioh - Completed 2/22/17
#8 NieR: Automata - Completed 3/2/17
#9 Super Bomberman R - Completed 3/10/17
#10 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Completed 3/11/17
#11 Ori & the Blind Forest - Completed 3/28/17
#12 Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - Completed 3/28/17
#13 Catherine - Completed 3/30/17

Quite a few game! Not quite as many as I had hoped, but I'm still ahead, even if only because of a rush of games I completed over the last few days. I guess I'll give some thoughts:

Nioh - Fantastic game, plenty of content, great combat and (mostly) great level design, but suffers from both re-used areas and enemies. I still really enjoyed it, and it was a pleasure to platinum trophy it.

NieR: Automata - It's already been said many times over, but this game is a work of art. I knew I was going to love it after I pushed myself through NieR earlier (I even imported Automata to play it a few weeks early, as shown by my completion date!), but yeah. Not much to say that hasn't been said. Great combat, FANTASTIC soundtrack, fantastic story (Ending E!), etc.

Super Bomberman R - It's Bomberman. Props to Konami for, as of the time of this post, continuing to support the game with updates and upcoming free DLC. It makes the pricetag easier to justify.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - much like NieR: Automata, not much to say. If you want to hear my thoughts you can read my review.

Ori & the Blind Forest - A little shorter than I expected, but at least the quality was kept up throughout the entire game. Literally the best looking game I've ever played, the artstyle is something else - it feels like I'm playing a painting. Great gameplay too, bash is fun.

Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight - I didn't have any expectations going in, I literally only bought it for my Xbox since I had $10 left over after buying Subnautica for my friend whom I gameshare with. I had remembered seeing the trailer and it looked nice, so for the price I took a gamble. Nice, clean spritework and animation a great soundtrack, and some great gameplay makes it a really nice Castlevania styled game. It's a testament to how much I liked it that I was able to devour it so quickly even after a Metroidvania romp with Ori.

Catherine - My ex-gf being named Katherine (and even looking like this game's Katherine, to an extent) made this an interesting experience. I LOVE the puzzle gameplay, the artstyle, and the soundtrack. The Cathedral can go choke on it though - AI companions just doesn't work with this game. That's really the only blemish I can find in what I otherwise consider to be one of the crowning jewels in Atlus' library. This was a steal for the $3 I paid for it on Xbox! Kinda glad I also have a physical copy for PS3, since I ended up liking it so much.

LGom09

Full List

15. Anarchy Reigns - ★★★
Great combat, great soundtrack, slightly tedious overall structure. The game takes place across several small hub world and you progress by completing various missions, mostly combat focused. It's sort of like THPS4 with punching, and if that sounds awesome, well, temper your expectations because Anarchy Reigns is definitely on the lower end of the Platinum spectrum. One thing I don't like is that you only spend significant time with 2 of the 16 characters during the campaign. The only way to try the rest is to play multiplayer which is completely dead online, and the game doesn't support splitscreen. I think they easily could have let you choose your character in single player without having to rebalance anything, but they went for a story focus instead. Still, the satisfying combat held my interest through the 5 hour campaign.

16. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time - ★★★
Finishing up a 5 year old save file. I didn't realize until I finished the game and the trophy popped that I was playing on hard. I probably would have enjoyed it more on normal. The guns felt underpowered since it took so many shots to take down an enemy. Meanwhile, Ratchet could only take a few hits. Controls felt great though and the Clank puzzle sections were pretty cool.

17. Splinter Cell: Blacklist - ★★★★
Some dumb action sequences here and there, but for the most part it's an awesome stealth game. Lots of player freedom thanks to the great open-ended level design and the numerous gadgets in your arsenal.

18. Rayman Legends - ★★★★
Great artstyle, great soundtrack, tight controls, and varied level design. The only thing that brings the game down a bit is the touchscreen-based levels. It's a bit jarring to go from speedruns and precision platforming to awkwardly holding your arm in such a way to not block the screen and hoping your AI companion cooperates.

19. Castlevania Chronicles - ★★★
This is an enhanced port of a re-imagining of the original Castlevania... or something like that. It's a pretty fun and rewarding game, but its difficulty borders on unfair. You'd need time powers to dodge every obstacle on reaction. And considering this came out after SotN, it must have been a tough sell asking players to go back to the stiffer controls. It felt good to overcome the challenge though.

20. Tearaway Unfolded - ★★★
Tearaway is all about creativity. You decorate the world by drawing stuff with the DS4 touchpad. It's very difficult to draw with any accuracy using that thing though. I shuddered every time the game showed me my trash crafts (admittedly, I didn't put forth much creative effort). The game is basically a tech demo for the Dualshock 4. All of its various input methods are tied to some game mechanic, and while variety is great, I was kind of waiting for it all to come together for some grand payoff in the end, and that never really happened.

21. Batman: Arkham Knight - ★★★★
This game oozes high budget. The sheer amount of different mechanics and flashy animations is kind of overwhelming, and it's all polished to a sheen. Some of the Batmobile sections feel a bit contrived, but I was expecting a lot worse given the backlash.

22. Gradius V - ★★★★
Even on the supposed "very easy" difficulty setting, this game is brutal. It's one of the best shmups I've played though. One of the game's core mechanics is the use of "multiples", little pods that follow the path of your ship and fire whatever weapons you have equipped. You can set the R1 button to manipulate the pods in different ways, like rotating them around your ship, changing their direction of fire, or changing the spacing between them. I think the best choice though is the "freeze" option that holds their formation until you release the button. Unlike your ship, the pods can pass freely through walls and enemies, so the name of the game is strategic positioning. You might want your pods all lined up to focus on one enemy, or spread out to cover more ground, or all in the upper-left quadrant your ship, or in a diagonal line with your ship in the middle. It's pretty confusing at first, but it's a fun system to master and when you nail the perfect configuration, you feel like a genius. It took about 8 hours of repetition and memorization to complete the game (which is a little over an hour long), but it was worth the effort.

Tambini

OlYMFyX.png

#35 Onimusha 3 ★★★★ PS2 - March 30th - 7 hours
This game has Jean Reno, that's all. All 3 of these games were excellent, the series needs to make a comeback.

rGhOObi.png

#36 Halo: Reach ★★★.5 Xbox 360 - March 30th - 5 hours
It was decent, if you've played any of the others you've pretty much played this. The Halo games don't do that much for me but they are more fun in co-op

Third update for March.

Main post|Backlog Blitz main post

TuLUhlk.png

Game Seven
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch) - March 13
★★★★★ (5)

As a somewhat casual Zelda player who only played something like four hours of Zelda games before this, I finished Breath of the Wild just short of 50 hours. It was incredible. And yet...

TWkBBaz.png

Game Eight
Nier Automata (PlayStation 4) - March 28
★★★★★ (5)

...I'd say this is my Game of the Year right now and is possibly in my top ten favourite games ever. What a crazy thrill ride it was. Brilliant.

Eblo

Master post

March ended apparently. I only really played two games this month and finished two I started a while ago.

BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: ∞
It would take herculean effort for me to list all the things this game got right. It addressed all the major criticisms the series had accumulated over time, namely the handholding and predictability. There are no gimmicky items now, and the entire world is the player's oyster. The only real limits to how one plays are the player's own determination and skill. How the series went from Skyward Sword and ALBW straight to this without missing a beat is something to be admired. BotW introduces so many meaningful changes for the series. It's everything I ever wanted from a Zelda game and more. If you were to ask me, the game's singular fault is frame rate issues in denser areas. Even so, I would not hesitate to call Breath of the Wild a perfect game. It's hard to put down.

250px-No_More_Heroes_2_Desperate_Struggle.jpg

No More Heroes 2: February 26-March 15
At first, No More Heroes 2 seems to be better than the first game. It's more streamlined, with no pointlessly empty overworld or other extraneous things. The bosses seem to be better at first as well. Then you progress and start to see how it lost a bit of special sauce that the first game had. Minigames are horrendous, and bosses become extremely easy to defeat. I ended up skipping upgrade minigames for those two reasons. A handful of levels are overly drawn out. The only real challenge is the final boss, and even then his attacks are easy to read. Where the first game disregarded the things it parodied and made use of, the second game doesn't seem to care at all. I since learned that Suda51 was not involved with NMH2, so hopefully this means the next Travis game will sidestep these issues with Suda back at the helm.

250px-Nier_Automata_cover_art.jpg

Nier: Automata: March 17-March 22
I had fun with Nier: Automata for the first several hours. The gameplay was really fun: learning different combos and how to take down certain enemies. Then it got boring. Repetitive. Easy (even on higher difficulty settings). A certain section completely kills the pacing, after which it struggles to ever catch up. This route should have simply highlighted key areas rather than being stretched so thin. The entire final arc feels like a shameless clone of End of Evangelion. There is a mountainous build-up of plot and symbolism that ultimately concludes nothing while acting like everything has been resolved. It's not a satisfying ending in the slightest, not even climactic. Far too many things left unanswered. Nier Automata is a huge mass of unrealized potential. It's truly a shame. At least the music is good.

250px-Sonic_Advance_Coverart.png

Sonic Advance: January 17-March 23
Decent game, but it doesn't touch the caliber of the Genesis titles. It feels roughly the quality of a fan work. Not too memorable of a game by any means. It just stands out because the main console Sonic titles were sort of... not good.

Spyware

Horizon took me so much longer to beat than I thought it would. Then I had some nice experiences and some disappointing ones.

Z5s8Ofy.png

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4 - Completed March 14
One of the best games in years. I love Aloy so much and the supporting cast is amazing. I turned off the HUD a bit into the game and went by landmarks and road signs which was so much fun. I also grabbed screenshot after screenshot because it's just stunnigly beautiful. I sorta regret not going for the highest difficulty because my only negative point is that the game is a bit too easy. I played on hard and had only a handful deaths and I had no problem getting those blazing suns on my first try in the majority of the challenges. I never felt like I had to fight for my survival or success, but I still had a blast with the combat. They have made every weapon fun to use and good for specific situations and I frequently swapped between maybe six different ones in fights with the bigger robots. As for the "completed" status, I really mean completed. I even collected every single datapoint. I already miss this game a lot ands I look forward to playing it again soon.​

ehGzTm7.png

Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation - PC - Completed March 17
This was the TR game I remember liking the most when I played them as a kid. But when I played it again now I couldn't remember a single thing after the tutorial and it really felt like something I hadn't played before! It also wasn't that great, what a disappointment! It changed in the end tho, I clearly remembered those last levels and I got completely drowned in nostalgia when I had to jump on the outside of the pyramid. There's the game I remember! But in the end it was just an okay experience.​

csWa37I.png

Tomb Raider Chronicles - PC - Completed March 18
Before I started this I could only place the part with young Lara as part of this game. I also recalled the first part but I didn't remember until I played it now that it's from this game. Some of the stories in this game are good and some not really that great so it's a mixed bag. But it's short and mostly fine, so it was fun to revisit.​

BlVGJQ4.png

Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness - PC - Completed March 19
Ah, the game I got bullied for liking as a kid. I still don't get the hate. The only real problem I have with the game is that the controls are quite... bad. Lara is slow and you have to fight with the controls a bunch. You get used to it sooner or later and then it's mostly a... fine game. I had fun at least.​

qsykPbW.png

Life Is Strange - PC - Completed March 22
I'm trying to figure out if I liked this one or not. The first couple of episodes were... fine. That kind of engaging but not really engaging type of game. Something to play when you're bored but don't want to actually get drawn into something. But then it got a lot better with episode 3... and promptly lost me again with episode 4. Episode 5 was a bit wonky but at least I liked the ending.​

NuPiMKv.png

Gravity Rush - PS4 - Beaten March 28
I liked this a lot less than I thought I would. I don't really know why it didn't click for me but I'm rea. I like the idea behind the gameplay and Kat was a fun MC, but I think it totally lost me at the pillar. I didn't even finish all the DLC because I got completely burned out. I aim to come back to it at some point though.​

jW5J71q.png

Catherine - PS3 - Beaten March 31
This game is gorgeous. The animation is simply amazing. I would love to say that this game was as great to play as it looks but I didn't find the puzzle gameplay that fun. I get the stategy part and it was a bit "easier" than I thought it would be, based on what I had heard of the game. But it just wasn't really fun. I quickly decided that I hated both ladies and managed to keep myself in the middle. I got what I think is the best ending (after looking at the others on YT) and I'm satisfied. I'm happy I played it because that fantastic animation is so worth it.​

----------------
Master Post

Ladekabel

March

Game 13: Hitman Sniper (iOS): First-Person-Sniper that is enjoyable because of the touch controls imo. Nice presentation for a phone game and objectives are fun at first. Overstays its welcome sadly and in the last chapters too many missions goals are just "get high number of points for big score". Bought my ways through those because I saved up so much ingame money. 3/5

Game 14: Shock Troopers (Switch): Fun run and gun shooter although it controls a little to slow for my tastes. No score

Game 15: Thirty Flights of Loving (PC): That was something. No score

Game 16: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Swtich): Never felt I so compelled to explore a game world. There are a few shortcomings but this will likely be my GotY is one of my favorite games ever. I love it so much! 5/5

Game 17: Shadow Complex Remastered (PC): It has aged worse than I thought but it still is one of my favorite Metroidvanias. 4/5

Currently Playing: The Persona 5 waiting game, Snake Pass (Switch)

March update. A little less than I planned but the last few weeks were a little bit stressful.

febLey

OP

#08 | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), 1. April ~95 hours

Nintendo has achieved what most Developers didn't, they've created a world that deserves to be explored. The game has a lot interesting side quests and the shrines are really cool.
I really liked the ending.
– 10/10

04uHkOn.png

11h-ish. Low Chaos ending. Not a Clean Hands run because fuck that.

I don't usually play stealth games because I'm actually very bad at them - and in fact, I've started Dishonored three times in the past (damn Coldridge Prison always threw me off). But this time I soldiered on, and I found Dishonored was a pleasant surprise. If you haven't played it yet, it's basically the lovechild of Assassin's Creed and Thief, with a dash of Bioshock Infinite for good measure.

While the story was a bit trite (It was just so obvious
that the Loyalists were going to turn on Corvo
) and the game had a couple hair-pulling moments, it was all in all a very good experience, fun to play and with an awesome setting. Will totally pick the sequel up soon.

My Score: ★★★★☆

Original Post

NMFried

March Update

Completed (10/52)

7. Batman: A Telltale Games Series (PS4) - March 2 ★★★
8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - March 22 ★★★★★
9. Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4) - March 30 ★★★★
10. Flower (PS4) - March 31 ★★★★

Velcro Fly

Original Post

For the month of March I completed 18 games.

My progress for this challenge is 37/52

1. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 – Finished on March 2 – 4 hours

This was a 100% playthrough to continue on the Super Mario All-Stars path. This game is timeless and I'm not sure what else needs to be said. I cheated a little and had notes for the card game so by the time I got to World 4 I had almost full items. I ignored the warp whistles to have more room for items. I wasted the cloud items to get more room. I was stuck with a hammer that I forgot to use in world 6. First time in my life I killed Bowser the first time I got to him. I did have some amazing chokes though and some near chokes. I have given some thought to buying this on the Wii U to play the e-Reader levels since this playthrough was on cart. I feel like the difficulty curve and how forgiving the game is is just right in this game. There were a few levels where I felt relief to have cleared them but I never felt like I was just hopeless. Most of the levels I struggled on were because I kept getting hit by things at the edge of the screen. This isn't in the same level of bull that Super Mario Bros DX had where the screen actually scrolled up or down though. 7-4 especially I would get hit by jellyfish that hadn't fully loaded on screen or get hit by the tiny Bloopers that were just barely on screen. That level in particular frustrated me for a couple minutes.

2. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse – Finished on March 3 – 9 hours, 14 minutes

I got this on the 3DS for Christmas having never played a Shantae game before. I was blown away by how fun the game was. With the items you get it definitely affords you opportunities for some very stylish gameplay. The final platforming parts before the final boss were incredibly hard but I was able to push through because I had mastered using the items the game gives you. I did manage to get 100% and I'm considering later on playing Pirate Mode just to feel overpowered from the very start of the game.

3. Mortal Kombat XL – Finished on March 4 – 7 hours, 25 minutes

For this I did story mode and a few towers. First off I'd like to say I haven't played a Mortal Kombat game since the PS2 game. I do own MK9 on the Vita but I haven't played very much of it. The game I may remember the most in the series in Ultimate/Mortal Kombat 3. So in story mode when I see some characters from that game that I loved it was quite a site to see. I liked this game a lot more than Injustice. Injustice is fun but I feel like MKX really shines. I just love the brutality and gore of it all. I loved seeing some of the X-Ray attacks. I loved seeing some of the fatalities. It just worked better as a package to me than Injustice despite them feeling pretty much the same in terms of gameplay. It is the lore and characters that make it better for me. Playing the story mode makes me want to catch up on my Mortal Kombat lore to figure out what exactly happened to some of my favorite characters though. I also like how they gave many of the palette swap ninjas their own distinct look.

4. River City Tokyo Rumble – Finished on March 8 – 14 hours, 16 minutes

Finally got around to playing this game. Fantastic beat em up. I maxed out everyone's level and stats and did all jobs. I do still have New Game+ content to do if I want. Doing the two huge grinding jobs really burnt me out on the game. Killing 4,000 goons was just an absolute grind and is honestly at least half of my time. I did enjoy leveling everyone up and hunting down special moves but the last two grind jobs just felt excessive. It didn't sour me on the game or anything. I wish we would get more though.

5. Batman: The Telltale Series – Finished on March 11 – 8 hours, 45 minutes

Maybe the best story yet. I bought this after having fun with the two other Telltale games I had played. I figured I enjoy Batman and the Gotham universe so why not give this a try. I had a few minor technical problems with a couple crashes but nothing major was lost. I had one or two segments where the frame rate was completely choppy but I was able to finish. The story was certainly a different take on the old Batman lore but it was enjoyable. Most of the main characters seemed to be somewhat fleshed out with their own motivations and the story was cohesive. Also feel like it sets up well for them to do another season of this later on. I wanted to finish this game before Danganronpa came out and I succeeded. Looking forward to what else Telltale has to offer after playing the three games I was the most interested in.

6. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land – Finished on March 12 – 4 hours, 24 minutes

Back when I was a kid, this was the first GameBoy game I ever owned. Only I was really bad at it. I knew part of the object of the game was to get a lot of coins. So instead of actually beating levels, all I did was replay the first few and grind coins. One day I finally figured out how to beat the boss of the first world by hitting him underneath as he is flying through the air. It totally blew my mind how much more there was to the game and that even the first world would completely change. Rice Beach erodes and water plays a big part in a few levels and there was even a key/treasure room system. It also blew my mind when the course numbers completely jumped in number from 13 to 20. It wasn't until a subsequent playthrough that I discovered Sherbet Land and all the courses and treasures contained within. This playthrough was 100% treasures and best ending, which meant I had to save scum the coin betting mini game after stages quite a few times. No regrets though.

7. Super Mario Bros Deluxe (The Lost Levels) – Finished on March 12 – 2 hours, 15 minutes

This game is hard. The first six or so worlds were challenging but mostly fair. Some difficulty comes from the screen resolution being not full screen. Plenty of blind jumps and things coming from off screen. The final two worlds playing this version of the game are ridiculously hard. I know for a fact the All-Stars version of this game is much easier if only because the blind jumps in many cases you can actually see. I played this game basically to finish up the All-Stars but not quite run that I had and to finally beat this game. I never knew what to do in 8-2 as a kid. 7-2 and 7-3 gave me the most trouble. I'm actually pretty pleased with how well I played for most of the game even if I struggled towards the end.

8. Wario Land 2 – Finished on March 17 – 8 hours

I fully intended to get 100% on this game and I probably still will. I just need a break from it after playing 40 stages in the past week. It is a mostly fun game with a few glaring flaws. Wario is immortal. The game is based around losing coins and a ridiculous knockback if you get hit by regular enemies. Most bosses have a gimmick that takes you completely out of the arena if you get hit by it during the fight. This is the most annoying thing about the game. I did have fun with the game but I'm a little burnt out. It is more frustration trying to get to the finish and 100% than it is fun. So I'm calling it done in case I never get back to it but I do intend to grind out the 100%.

9. Kirby Super Star Ultra – Finished on March 18 – 6 hours

I did the six games that give stars on the save file. I won't be doing any of the hard modes or the arena. I liked this game but I felt like some of the really cool ideas like the Great Cave Offensive could have been a much bigger, standalone game. Some of the other modes run together a little bit. Some things just feel disjointed. I do like the copy abilities and I do love Milky Way Wishes allowing you to choose whichever one you want as long as you've collected it. That said Hammer is broken as hell. Overall my completion for this game is 88% and that is fine with me. Going back and playing Kirby games I missed out on the first time and this one was at the top of my list.

10. Suoer Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World – Finished on March 19 – 2 hours, 40 seconds

This was an everything minus the special world run. I even managed to get the normal and secret exits in Star World. Some of the secret exits in Valley of Bowser were a little nerve wracking and I always have a little bit of anxiety about Larry's Castle since it combines all the things I hate (snakehead platforms, Magikoopa, the knock the boss into the lava style of kill) but I managed to do it first try. I honestly could never pick a favorite between Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros 3. I notice I have gotten a little worse at Super Mario World over the years. I find myself running for the Top Secret Area sometimes just to make it easier on myself instead of going it alone as small Mario. I watch too many speedruns of this game in various categories and it gives me ideas on how to play that often don't work out. Also this game keeps track of in game time and had I not screwed around and beaten the first level in the special world I would have had a casual sub 2 hour 88 exit princess rescue. The great Nintendo 2D platformer buffet of 2017 will continue.

11. Mega Man 6 – Finished on March 19 – 2 hours, 32 minutes

The final game in the classic series that I had not beaten before. I had barely ever played the game. It was a pretty fun experience but there were a couple rough stages. One in particular where there are screens and screens of blind/falling spike jumps. Just total cheap difficulty after what I thought was a pretty fair overall difficulty throughout the game. I hated Mega Man 5 but really liked this one. Cool robot masters like Knight Man and cool weapons like Tomahawk and Yamato Spear were really different experiences too. I played this on the 3DS version of the Legacy Collection. Overall a fun experience but I did not like what they did to Rush. Also this game has the easiest final form Wily in the series. Even easier than Mega Man 3 which can be one shot with a well placed Top Spin. I think the idea was to have Tomahawk be the only weakness since it arced in the air but then Tomahawk was the weakness for a lot of other things so they just had Tomahawk do a ton of damage. After two other Wily forms that I personally struggled to avoid taking contact damage to, Wily capsule was easier than I expected.

12. Batman: Arkham Asylum – Finished on March 23 – 19 hours

I bought this game for really cheap a couple years ago and never bothered to play it. Playing the Telltale Batman game made me want to try the Arkham series. I am not typically a player that enjoys stealth but certain parts of this game made it really fun. The gameplay, while really fun, got a little stale towards the end. It was always go here, rescue these people, use the forensic trail to go somewhere else, repeat with occasional closed in areas dedicated to combat. I really had a lot of fun though. It took me almost two weeks to finish the game but that was basically over four sittings. I even managed to collect the final 65 Riddler trophies I needed for the full 240 and also finished the Spirit of Arkham thing. I am very glad I did since it added a little bit more to the game for me. The best part of this game is the atmosphere it presents. Really feels good playing as Batman and doing Batman things to help save Gotham. Arkham City is up next!

13. Power Stone – Finished on March 24 – 2 hours

I beat the story mode. This game is ridiculously hard. One of those games where the AI just doesn't play by the same game rules as the player. Every dodge is so perfect for the AI and the player just can't do the same thing. The final boss is just epic cheese. One of the times I lost to him I actually died because of the animation after you lose your power stones. Wang Tang just stood there and posed for a second and the final boss just literally grabbed me and did the last 20% or so of my health bar.

14. Power Stone 2 – Finished on March 24 – 2 hours

This game is loads better than the first one. In addition to just having the straight up story mode where all you do is fight people and bosses, there is adventure mode where you can get items and money and eventually take them into the item shop to mix and unlock more items. I remember as a kid playing this game for so long and I never unlocked everything. It honestly felt like a massive grind and I must have played dozens of hours of adventure mode just slogging through the same stages and bosses again and again grinding for items. Most of the stages in this game move. You fight in an area, it begins to change, then you get the signal to keep moving. They are definitely a step down from Power Stone 1 in that regard but really the only way it is inferior.

15. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland – Finished on March 25 – 3 hours, 30 minutes

I had previously played this game as a 3D classic on my 3DS but I wanted to play the GBA version. Pretty standard fare for a Kirby game. I didn't focus much on getting secrets in this game though. I am usually pretty bad at certain Kirby bosses but I did pretty well this time. It was annoying throughout the game that basically every single hit made you drop copy abilities. The newer Kirby games have spoiled me and made me weak in this regard. In newer games stuff like Hammer is overpowered but I don't feel like anything is really broken here. Most things have a really short range and one hit means chasing it down again. I did manage to beat both phases of the final boss on the first try. Watching the credits and seeing Iwata as executive producer makes me remember that he is probably in the credits for many games I've completed this year. 86% completion on this game is fine with me. Definitely not doing any boss rushes and I'm not sure I want to go back and get all the secrets since I'd probably just end up looking them up anyway.

16. Pokemon Snap – Finished on March 27 – 4 hours

For this game I photograhped all 63 species of Pokemon that appear in the game, including Mew on the secret stage. This game is the one that always comes up when the talk about games needing a sequel or a remake or a remaster comes up. There is so much untapped potential with a game like this. It is so simple and yet could be so much. I started playing this game this morning not really feeling well and by the end the relaxing experience of finding and photographing Pokemon had totally relaxed me. A game like this in the modern day could work so well with many different business models. Imagine it being a free to play game with having to pay every time you go out on a course. Imagine it being episodic where every few weeks a new course was released. Imagine a base game with a ton of DLC released to photograph new and exotic pokemon. It is just really fun and once you unlock everything it is an enjoyable experience. I think I laughed the hardest and pelting Electabuzz with food and knocking it down and eventually I ran it over with my cart. I even got a photo of just Electabuzz torso right in front of me.

17. Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island – Finished on March 27 – 9 hours

Thus concludes the handheld Mario as well as the Super Mario Advance run that I have been on to start the year. I actually tried to listen to the music on the final boss just now and I'm not sure if it is the game or just my phat DS but it sounded horrible and I couldn't do it. I didn't really go for 100 points in each level because it just feels really tedious. Playing at my own pace and just enjoying the game is way more fun than trying to grind out 100%. I must say though between all the 2D platformers I've played and what will be for now a failed attempt to play Kirby and the Amazing Mirror I am a little burnt out on 2D platformers for the time being.

18. God of War – Finished on March 31 – 8 hours 20 minutes

I played this game on the Vita. I had previously beaten it on PS2 around the time it came out and PS3 a few years ago when I got the whole collection for really cheap. I wanted to play it on Vita to prove that it could be done despite all the flaws everyone said the Vita collection had. The game is still fun. The frustrating parts are still frustrating. I swear whoever designed some of these parts just hates video game players. Some parts that I know I am bad at I did first try. Some parts I just had to remember how I did it the first time. The spike room box puzzle I thought at first to be impossible because of how unresponsive or over-repsonisve the rear touchpad is. The only flaw of the game for me was the controls. Basically every save point I would save, and then have to completely change the way I held my Vita to avoid saving again and again. Every time I would die and the last checkpoint was the save it would prompt me to save again. Opening chests was a fickle affair because it used the rear touchpad. I developed a horrible cramp in my left hand from having to hold the Vita a certain way to avoid the rear touchpad. And then of course the infamous spiked room box puzzle was a lot harder because of the rear touchpad. Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't. I will play God of War 2 on Vita eventually.

DrArchon

OP

GAME #14 - Shovel Knight - 4 Hours - 10/10 - 4/1/17

I've been putting this off for far too long. I bought a copy on my 3DS, but I never bothered playing more than a little bit of it because my 3DS was basically a Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright machine. But, I finally managed to play through the normal campaign once with a new copy on Steam.

Anyway, this is probably the 10/10 game that I'm the worst at. I'm just awful at this game. Constant deaths, needing to spam sub-weapons and troupple ichor just to get though even the easier levels, I've never felt this emasculated by a game that looks this cheerful. Still, I never felt like the deaths were unfair. It's a testament to the design of the game that I never threw my 360 controller in rage after multiple repeated falls down pits.

What else can I really say about this game? Everyone knows it's fantastic. The music is some of the best in the industry, each stage is immaculately designed and a joy to play, the writing is really well done, it feels fantastic to play, etc etc. Just go out and buy this and the soundtrack.

Shadax84

Neo Member
13. Super Metroid - 10:20

smbox_english.jpg

Platform: PC (SNES Emulator)
Completed On: 10.3.2017
Rating: 10/10

This is one of my all time favorite game. The gameplay is at such a high level, the atmosphere is great and the soundtrack is superb. A true classic!

14. GTA V - 44 Hours

GTAV-PC.jpg

Platform: PC (Steam)
Completed On: 17.3.2017
Rating: 9/10

The best GTA in my opinion. I played through this on the PS3 and loved it and decided to give it another try on the PC, my main platform. I really liked the story, the characters (Trevor+Michael), the soundtrack and the whole gameplay. The graphics are really good for a three year old game. Didn't play the online mode, just went through the story mode.

Main post

Game #21: The First Skunk Bundle (Wii U) - ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

This is pretty terrible, haha. It's like, a "greatest hits" of Steam Greenlight. Granted, I only paid... well, $0, but its regular MSRP is $30, and none of the games are good. I will grant that at least the shitty horror game in the collection gave me a lot of laughs, especially the one guy who was slowly glitching through the level while sitting in midair.

Game #22: Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES) - ★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆

Donkey Kong Jr. Math is not a good game, but it's also not a bad game. It's not a game I will ever play again, but it's weirdly entertaining to play competitive math with a friend.

Game #23: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U) - ★★★★★★★★★★

Wowie, what a game this was. I still want to go back to it and get 100% (for me 100% is all inventory slots, all shrines, and all armor upgrades – not doing all side quests though), but I got a hell of a lot done with it when I had. This game does a ton of stuff right, and a handful of things wrong. The atmosphere is really tight, and it's a great game to explore. I love that I was allowed to go anywhere I wanted from square one. The overworld is simply sublime. The shrines were (for the most part) really fun and interesting, and great diversions from the overworld, so that it never gets stale. I also think that this game perfects character and enemy designs; I particularly like the new concept for the Rito, and I hope that this concept stays cemented as the standard for a long time. As far as issues with the game go, there are some things that I wish could be fixed. Cooking is tedious, dungeons and bosses are among the weakest in the series (if given a choice I'd replace all of them with areas like Eventide), and weapon durability is not fun at all. As Jim Sterling noted, weapon durability only made me disappointed when I got a breakable item as a reward. All in all though, the game is simply a masterpiece, and I'm glad to have played as many hours of it as I could.

Game #24: Titanfall 2 (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★★★

I had actually gotten Horizon and Breath of the Wild on the same day, so in the interest of avoiding playing two big, open-world games (and ultimately comparing them too much), I took a breather and played some smaller-scale games, starting with Titanfall 2. And gosh, is this ever a game for the ages. I'm not much of an FPS fangirl, but I was so absorbed in this – it was as power fantasy of a game as you could get, while also being narratively interesting. The fact that the game so frequently flips the table with game mechanics, slowly introducing to you new ways to fight (even ways that you only use once, creating a super memorable segment that makes the game stand out – TF2 fans know what I'm talking about). This game easily deserves a place among my favorite FPS games (alongside Metroid Primes 1/2, Doom, and Left 4 Dead), and if I had played it sooner, it'd easily have been a contender for my game of the year last year.

Game #25: Atari Flashback Classics vol.2 (PS4) - ★★★★★★★★☆☆

I had played some Atari games in my time gaming, but not like, super extensively, so this collection was a great introduction to a lot of them. I particularly enjoyed Missile Command, Adventure, Asteroids, and Basic Math (that last one is pretty tough!). I didn't love Breakout though, as I felt it was too dated to really get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

This update took a long time for me to care enough to write it up lol

NHale

Game 19 - Dig Dug ★☆☆☆☆
Terrible controls in the newest versions ruined the nostalgia experience for me.

Game 20 - Battlefield 1 ★★★★★
Battlefield 1 continues to deliver the unique Battlefield experience than no other shooter can. However the new changes and the promise of Ammo 2.0 doesn't make me confident the game will continue to be Battlefield for a lot longer. While not perfect, multiplayer on this game is one of the better ways to see 3 hours fly by... Campaign is just a bunch of small glimpses that create a tutorial to the multiplayer plus forced stealth that like 90% of the time isn't good or feel fun to play. Of the 3 big shooters last fall, this campaign feels much worse than Titanfall 2 and COD:IW. Thankfully the meat of the game makes up for it. I do wonder if I will stick with a 5/5 for much longer though.

Game 21 - N.E.R.O. - Nothing Ever Remains Obscure ★★☆☆☆
A walking simulator that tries to tell a story in an unique way and with some great moments storytelling wise if you follow the various messages around the game world. Puzzles are incredibly easy.

Game 22 - ICEY ★★★☆☆
I believe this game will create some great feedback if it ever launches in the West, but while the fighting mechanics lack depth, the story and the ways the narrator interacts with the player is something I never experienced myself. And this is the game that you should want to the 2nd playthrough with a trophy guide to try to unlock the platinum, trust me on this.

Game 23 - Disc Jam ★★★☆☆
This could and should have been the next Rocket League especially releasing at PS+ but the terrible state of the matchmaking around launch ruin any hopes of this game ever being as successful as Rocket League. Simply the game wasn't ready for launch and now most people will never play it again after trying to find a game for 15 minutes time and time again. Gameplay wise the game isn't perfect but it's incredibly satisfying to play. Unfortunately once again without a ranked mode, you can easily be matched against better skill players which ruin the user experience. It could and should have been a 5/5. So close but at the same time so far away...

Game 24 - Siegecraft Commander ★★☆☆☆
Behind the simple and basic graphics, there is a good game hidden especially splitscreen with a friend. But I had enough after 5 matches....

illusionary

My March update is a fairly short one, with only two games beaten this month - Zelda's arrival early in the month has been taking up the majority of my time since! Fortunately I'm still a little way above par for the 52 games target, but I'll need to start to pick up the pace again soon!

Dragon_Quest_Builders_Logo.jpg

15. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4) - 5 March 2017
Platinum trophy. I've never really put any significant time into either the Dragon Quest series or Minecraft, but this felt to me to be a fun combination of the two, with a structured approach to the core building element coming through the questline, while still allowing freeform building, and rewarding experimentation with new rooms, recipes, etc. However, with Breath of the Wild having just arrived, just getting the platinum is plenty of time with the game for me.

header.jpg

16. Evoland (Steam) - 6 March 2017
Completed with 100% of achievements. This is a fairly lightweight adventure/RPG, but with an attractively novel gimmick - the gradual 'evolution' of the game aesthetics and mechanics as you progress. Certainly it's far from the best of this type of adventure that you'll find, with limited plot and shallow mechanics, but its 'evolution' gimmick and relatively short length means it doesn't wear out its welcome and all in all this is a fun little experience.

Currently playing: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch), The Legend of Zelda (3DS virtual console - NES), Ittle Dew (Steam)

Main post

6vg7adn.png

10 | Mass Effect: Andromeda | PC
Time: 60 hours
Score: 6/10

Andromeda offers us a wide range of new planets to explore. The game looks beautiful, the combat is the best it's ever been and the side quests have been improved. Yet despite that the writing is incoherent, the story never gets interesting and the overarching themes of the game are very unclear. This could have been a game about being stranded in space, about desperation and a glimmer of hope. But despite everything that is going wrong in Andromeda, the tone of the writing is light and everyone seems to be a stand-up comedian. Dialogue options have been severely reduced and there is almost no choice & consequence in the game, even the illusion of it is lacking. Outside of the companions there are very few memorable NPC's and the main quests are rather dull. The game also has a lot of technical issues and crashes are too frequent to ignore.

A few more months in the oven would have done wonders for a lot of the technical issues but the narrative problems in the game remain there.

Blindy

124161772.jpg

18) Gravity Rush 2: The Ark Of Time(Raven's Choice)[PS4] 3/26-3/27

Well what can I say? I liked Gravity Rush 2 but not loved it, I think my writeup on the game back in late January kind of sums the game up altogether for me but I kept the game still in the back of my mind because of this Raven DLC that was free and promised to the fans. So low and behold a date was put behind this and I was excited to really send this game off in style.

But this DLC really falls flat altogether, this might as well had been included in the overall game day 1 because this offers up little to no substance. It does absolutely nothing to solve or touch "Night Gale"(Without spoiling too much, I think people who have played this game know what I mean) which I thought would be a lock in this DLC. It does touch the children of the arc which was cool and there were brand new characters that while you are given absolutely no background of nor given any reason to care about them were decent enough boss battles, it was the overall mission structure that really lets this game down.

Particularly mission 3 might have had the worst designed mission arguably in the whole series and this series has had some brutal stealth missions in it. Maybe I am an idiot but the light that needs to show the way is there so briefly and is so hardly recognizable that I essentially abandoned it and just was flying around the town and happened to stumble upon the objective.

I felt like at times that I did not have total control of Raven when trying to strike in the air and you were so limited with the attacks you can do with Raven, especially in comparison to Kat that the combat felt very bone dry.

DLC lasted about 2-3 hours so had I played this right after GR2 I would have not given this it's own gaming slot on my goal but I played this about 2 months after the game so I will shamefully put this one on here.

Trophies are easy enough to get though the problem with the trophies is you have one shot to get them and if you don't you'll want to restart the chapter over because they are tied to doing a specific challenge right or without any mistakes to obtain them which I think is a mistake in doing. One is to avoid getting detected, another is to make sure the monster follows you throughout in a path towards everyone's favorite character in the series. You mess up once, you will have to re-do to get the trophy. Bleh.

Recommendation Yay or Nay

I won't pick one because it's free so it would be silly to hold this against the game. But it's such a forgetful experience, that you pop the game in, do six different chapters and say goodbye to everything and anything. This wasn't the DLC I envisioned getting but again it's free so give it a shot.

19) Dark Souls 3 DLC: The Ringed City(XB1) 3/28-3/30

tumblr_onboae7S0g1v6wmido1_400.gif

This is essentially the last hurrah of what is a well beloved if not well recognized franchise in video gaming dating back to last and this generation and if so, this is a DLC to really end on. A very, very good DLC though not great and I will explain as to why(At least to me) why that happens to be.

Pros:
1) The city is much deeper in terms of depth than the other DLC and is one of the prettier maps in the game. While it wears out it's welcome and there are certain points that are instant death that aren't covered in the mandatory drops, the drop portions of the DLC are neat. The enemies are cool enough, and there's loads of very useful items in this DLC.

2) The bosses....................the first boss was awesome. I held it with the final boss of the 1st DLC and had it neck and neck and said no way can FROM top this boss in this DLC but NOPE. After a admittedly less than spectacular 2nd mandatory boss in this DLC that I 1 shotted on the first try, I said "THATS IT. That's how we're ending this series. Say it isn't so!"...............FROM Software rest assured said "Nope, we got this."

And the final boss of this DLC, wow. Just wow. I said it for the first DLC that the end of the DLC I felt like I got my money's worth but this boss, just amazing. Quite honestly the most fun boss of the game, that's the word to describe it. Fun. It's a game of patience, coordination, smarts, and management of stamina. The different phases just had your jaw drop, and the overall environment was stellar. It sucks that you have to go through so much to experience this boss again but my god this boss hits the mark on so many aspects. Job well done FROM, much to be proud of with this killer boss.

Cons:

1) Experienced some crappy framerate but I played this on the XBOX ONE so I want to take note of that. Happened more so at the beginning of the game but it got much better later on.

2) The premise and gimmicks that the stages had were nauseating, not fun and I think this is a theme that FROM Software misses upon. Points 2 and 3 will preach to the choir on the matter here.

Making a game very difficult does not always mean the game/experience will be fun

Case in point two portions of this DLC where you have ridiculous speed arrows/lasers that can dwindled your HP in seconds if chained right. You can't outrun them, blocking eats your stamina, you don't have enough hiding to escape them entirely. One of the two thankfully can be stopped by PERM killing a enemy lurking around but the other will consistently respawn which sucks. I like traps, I liked Sen's Fortress. I like challenge.....but what kills a challenge is making obstacles that aren't a matter of patience or skill but more so luck and trial/error of knowing where to go and where to hide.

Some may find those two aforementioned obstacles fun, not me. I like fighting enemies that I can actually hurt and kill, not be forced to take damage in a means to run around for safety. You really can't take in the scenery or explore for items with these nuisances around.

3) The optional boss............................let me just say this, this is pure opinion and I know some will vehemently disagree but it's awful. Let's bring back the quotation from earlier before:

Making a game very difficult does not always mean the game/experience will be fun

Case. In. Point. This boss.....now it's not Ancient Dragon's levels of obnoxiousness but it's still an obnoxious boss. HIGH HP, high defense, high strength, ridiculous hitboxes, an ARSENAL of moves that you will have to dedicate hours upon hours to even get a pattern only to have the script flipped for phase 2. The fire it shoots covers a ridiculous amount of range and you are forced to essentially block it and watch your stamina dwindle and or try your damnest to dodge it. For a melee character you are left with fighting this boss in only 2 methods, attacking the tail, roll, not get greedy, rinse.....repeat for 10-15 minutes and hope you aren't caught . Or to go after the head, try and bait him fortunately in a pattern that you can dodge/block and be weary of the beams that can 1 shot you.

You compare this shit to the 2 bosses you fight in this DLC and you just wonder how they miss the boat so much on this boss but not the others. This one just isn't fun, the others are magnificent and are among the best in the game.

I didn't beat the boss and I don't even care to summon help to beat it. It ruined my overall time with the game to the point that I can put it down and not have a single regret . I got my fill with the other bosses in this DLC that I enjoyed my time but I won't stress hours upon hours of trying to take out this behemoth's obnoxious HP to get caught and have to re-do it all over.

Recommendation: Yay or Nay.

Yeah go for it absolutely. I won't let a shit optional boss ruin my time and run with the game altogether, had far more fun than dread for this DLC. Two of the three mandatory bosses and even some of the optional PVP fighters including this tank of an enemy were just as fun too. The last boss is worth the price of admission in itself, that's how quality it was. I am excited to see what FROM Software does now post Souls but it sucks to put this series to bed because there have been so many fond memories and experienced stemming from this great franchise.

DrArchon

OP

GAME #15 - Hyper Light Drifter - 3 Hours - 10/10 - 4/2/17

Decided to replay this because I hadn't played it at all since it launched on PC last summer, and I know that a lot has been done to improve it since then.

This time around, I managed to find a TON more secrets than I did last time. Maybe it's because I new what to look for, but I'm still flabbergasted that I missed out on so much content last year, because I felt like I played it for much longer than I did this weekend. Whereas previously I was constantly short on cash for upgrades and maybe found 4 or so pylons in any given region, this time I had more money than I knew what to do with and easily found 6 or 7 pylons per region.

But yeah, the game is still a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Combat both looks and feels great as you dance around enemies, reflect projectiles, cut missiles in half, and snipe enemies across the room. All of the bosses are great to fight, the music is the right kind of moody and atmospheric that the game needs, the art-style is stunning at times, and the platforming is tense and rewarding. The story is basically unintelligible, though I'm sure if I put into the work translating this game's moonspeak and finding more story monuments I could figure it out, but that's not what I want or need out of this game.

With so many people doubting Kickstarter games, it's nice to play a couple that showcase just what crowdfunded games can bring to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom