• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: France, Germany, Spain&most Europe more racist towards blacks than Britain, US

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't surprise me at all. The US get's the most attention for it due to the constant massive news cycle and huge population.

But the idea the current US is inherently more racist than the rest of the world has always seemed fairly flawed to me

Even if the sources use different methods I don't find it likely the US is a more overtly racist population than most of Europe

But calling Europeans racist isn't edgy enough for me. So I'm going to pretend racism is an American concept like half the people here.

What are you even trying to say?
I don't think anyone did what you're accusing half the people here of.

Is OP that crazy guy who hates Europe or am I thinking of someone else?
It's him.

This doesn't surprise me at all. The US get's the most attention for it due to the constant massive news cycle and huge population.

But the idea the current US is inherently more racist than the rest of the world has always seemed fairly flawed to me
While it's not as simple as saying "the US are the worst".. Did you just read the title? Come on.
It should surprise you, it's incredibly misleading, not to say flat-out wrong.

While it's not as simple as saying "the US are the worst".. Did you just read the title? Come on.

No i've thought this always. In fact I'm pretty damn sure of it.

Most European nations have tiny black populations in comparison to the US. The US is going to thus have much more obvious race problems thrust into the spotlight.

Most countries in Europe are sitting at single digit black percentage populations while the US is at 12.3%. Put in other people of color such as Hispanics at 12.5% and yeah, it shouldn't be surprising at all why you see much more race conflict in the US.

Its not because Europe is some bastion of peace and no conflict

AmericanRace.jpeg

No i've thought this always. In fact I'm pretty damn sure it.

Most European nations have tiny black populations in comparison to the US. The US is going to thus have much more obvious race problems thrust into the spotlight.

Most countries in Europe are sitting at single digit black percentage populations while the US is at 12.3%. Put in other people of color such as Hispanics at 12.5% and yeah, it shouldn't be surprising at all why you see much more race conflict in the US.

Its not because Europe is some bastion of peace and no conflict

So tell me.
Why have you always thought "the place where I'm from can't be worse"?
I don't even want to compare, because this comparison isn't exactly productive.
But to me, it sounds like you are biased, simply because you don't want the bad feeling of the country you feel connected to being worse than another place.

Perhaps not. But I do feel many posts insinuate it.
Well, OP was baiting exactly that.
Reactions like this are natural when you throw around racism accusations using faultly claims, no matter what the actual truth may be.

So tell me.
Why have you always thought "the place where I'm from can't be worse"?
I don't even want to compare, because this comparison isn't exactly productive.
But to me, it sounds like you are biased, simply because you don't want the bad feeling of the country you feel connected to being worse than another place.

I'm not. I'm not even saying Europe is more racist than the US.

But I find it pretty unlikely its less so. Racism exists everywhere. Again, its a hell of a lot easier for countries that are 80%+ White to talk about how non racist their populations are when there is very very little mixing in terms of ethnicity in comparison to somewhere like the US.

Bossun

Like word sorting is the only way to measure racism in a country.
Nobody ever said Europe was an utopian place. There so many variable in racism that comparing two countries on a simple word association is ridiculous.

And everything on GAF is always discussed in "100% good or 100% bad" or "10 000 times better or worse than.."

What's the difference between US and European racism? Probably not much actually, it sucks for minorities everywhere.
To see the difference is between countries you would have to check hundreds of parameters, job opportunities, social wellbeing, physical wellbeing, justice bias, percentage of population, integration, localisation, access to social help...hundreds of parameters that would vary from country to country, putting Europe on top for some things and USA on top for some aspects..

Razorback

So, to summarize:

- Color coding between US and Europe map is misleading, countries the OP mentioned actually score better

- The methodology is frowned upon and not reliable

- The samples weren't picked to ensure to make the study representative, instead people were self-selecting themselves for the study

Pretty much.

I'm not. I'm not even saying Europe is more racist than the US.

But I find it pretty unlikely its less so. Racism exists everywhere. Again, its a hell of a lot easier for countries that are 80%+ White to talk about how non racist their populations are when there is very very little mixing in terms of ethnicity in comparison to somewhere like the US.

Why is it unlikely? It's either more or less. If it's not more, it's less.
Racism exists everywhere, obviously it'll be worse in some places, less bad in others.
It's always terrible, of course.

I also don't think low minority percentages are an excuse when we look at percentage stuff like incarceration rates, poverty, police shootings, and so on.
(but again, not saying the US are worse, I lack the numbers to make any such claim)

There are also some other countries that rank well among attitudes towards blacks like Belgium, Austria and Slovenia.

While this (positively!) surprised me, I think this can be explained that Austrians are directing their racism towards other peoples, and blacks aren't exactly a big part of the population here.

Why is it unlikely?
It exists everywhere, obviously it'll be worse in some places, less bad in others.
I also don't think low minority percentages are an excuse when we look at percentage stuff like incarceration rates, poverty, police shootings, and so on.
(but again, not saying the US are worse, I lack the numbers to make any such claim)

Well the prison systems in the US in general are a complete clusterfuck. We have way too many people incarcerated period (though obviously much worse for different minorities)

I'm just saying I see the idea toted around sometimes that Europe puts in the US to shame in terms of race relations, and I find that highly unlikely. We have tons of our own problems with race no question. Especially I would say institutionalized race problems (Prisons, police, etc.) are where America really falls short. Not so much in individuals (though of course like everywhere there are plenty of racist assholes)

Well the prison systems in the US in general are a complete clusterfuck. We have way too many people incarcerated period (though obviously much worse for different minorities)

I'm just saying I see the idea toted around sometimes that Europe puts in the US to shame in terms of race relations, and I find that highly unlikely. We have tons of our own problems with race no question. Especially I would say institutionalized race problems (Prisons, police, etc.) are where America really falls short. Not so much in individuals (though of course like everywhere there are plenty of racist assholes)

I edited my comment a bit.
So do I understand you correctly, your problem is that people think Europe is much better?
Not just that it's better?

I edited my comment a bit.
So do I understand you correctly, your problem is that people think Europe is much better?
Not just that it's better?

I don't have any problem with anything. Just discussing.

I just think the idea the US population is more overtly racist than most of the world is probably a flawed one is all.

While this (positively!) surprised me, I think this can be explained that Austrians are directing their racism towards other peoples, and blacks aren't exactly a big part of the population here.

A lot of Austrians I know (sadly) I would even consider alt-right. I know, my personal anecdote/experience, but damn. Nowadays every time I meet a new austrian fellow, I always think they have quite distorted world views and I hate myself for even thinking that.

"Sad that Hayder is dead."
"Well. Women should bear babies, not pursue a career."
"Those fucking muslims destroying Vienna culture!"

RoadHazard

Gold Member

And why do you find it so unlikely? Half of your country voted for racism, bigotry and inequality just last fall.

Ragnite

No it's him. Look at his post history. It's almost comedic how biased and bigoted he is toward Europe. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

Oh my god, he's the guy who wrote that ridiculous post about european people eating only "shitty boring combinations of meat and potatoes".

I don't have any problem with anything. Just discussing.

I just think the idea the US population is more overtly racist than most of the world is probably a flawed one is all.

I don't think anyone claimed that the US is more racist than any other place.
Do you think that in general, the United States are more and less of a racist place than Europe?

France, you're supposed to be the cool country

We try!
It really depends of the city or region of France tho. I was born and grew up in the south, in one of the most racist place of the country, and I'm brown, but it's only been 6/7 years since I feel the racism around me. Before that, either I was too naïve, or people were low key racist and are only coming out thanks to the rise of open xenophobia in EU/USA.

Now I'm in Paris, and it's a more diverse city, I feel better here. But's still not perfect...

Abhor

Oh my god, he's the guy who wrote that ridiculous post about european people eating only "shitty boring combinations of meat and potatoes".

Wtf? Simple German home cooking is some of the best food I've had in my life.

Get outta here OP

Nerdkiller

Membeur
And to drive home the shift in topics, this is what the lad described about folks of Northern England in one of the other threads.

They're largely backwards racists who keep voting for governments who only introduce policies to make them poorer. It was Thatcher who destroyed their way of life.

They also voted for Brexit. So its tough to have any sympathy for them. Brexit will only impoverish and kill them off even earlier. The country will be better off many would say. I mean what can you do about people intent on remaining poor and backwards? They would rather vote for the tories and just read the Sun and watch football. That is their way of life.
Utterly utterly misinformed.

Keri

And why do you find it so unlikely? Half of your country voted for racism, bigotry and inequality just last fall.

I think the point he's making is that Europeans haven't developed racist beliefs against black people to the same extent as the United States, because they have dramatically lower populations of black people in their country (and fewer interactions to base those negative stereotypes on). Racism in Europe is more likely to be expressed towards other populations, that are more prevalent in Europe, like the Romani.

Racism exists everywhere, but the targets will change, depending on the populations.

I would say that OP fucked up big time, but then again he knew exactly how disingenuous he was being from the start.

So, to summarize:

- Color coding between US and Europe map is misleading, countries the OP mentioned actually score better

- The methodology is frowned upon and not reliable

- The samples weren't picked to ensure to make the study representative, instead people were self-selecting themselves for the study

More racist than the US

*if you completely ignore the US graph and pretend it doesn't exist, that is.

Pretty much, which is why OP won't return to the thread. It's served its purpose because most people won't bother reading anything past the thread title.

We try!
It really depends of the city or region of France tho. I was born and grew up in the south, in one of the most racist place of the country, and I'm brown, but it's only been 6/7 years since I feel the racism around me. Before that, either I was too naïve, or people were low key racist and are only coming out thanks to the rise of open xenophobia in EU/USA.

Now I'm in Paris, and it's a more diverse city, I feel better here. But's still not perfect...

The south-east kinda sucks in that regard, I've been stuck there for nearly a decade. Some nice people here and there of course. But it was quite a shock after having grown up in Bretagne, lol. Now that's the cool part of the country!
If you can deal with the weather.

And to drive home the shift in topics, this is what the lad described about folks of Northern England in one of the other threads.

Utterly utterly misinformed.

Yeah, I remember that post. Disgusting. And there's a whole lot of shit like that in his post history.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think the point he's making is that Europeans haven't developed racist beliefs against black people to the same extent as the United States, because they have dramatically lower populations of black people in their country (and fewer interactions to base those negative stereotypes on). Racism in Europe is more likely to be expressed towards other populations, that are more prevalent in Europe, like the Romani.

Racism exists everywhere, but the targets will change, depending on the populations.

That's really not what he said though. He said he found it unlikely that Americans are more racist than Europeans.

RenditMan

Banned
In the UK the left wing press can be as hysterical and as frenzied as the right wing press, hence people get this overall bad impression of the place.

The UK is actually far more down the middle of your average hand wringing, head slapping extreme political toilet pape... I mean Newspaper.

Keri

That's really not what he said though. He said he found it unlikely that Americans are more racist than Europeans.

I think the reason he finds that unlikely, is because Europeans express racism in other ways. So, it's hard to say that any population is more or less racist, in whole, when we're all expressing our racism towards different targets.

G.O.O.

FWIW I know refugees who've been in several european countries and they told me they felt a lot more hostility in Germany and Sweden than in France. However we live near Paris and it's really diverse ; I'm quite sure their experience would have been vastly different in Alsace or in the southeast. Not even talking about small rural towns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom