• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: France, Germany, Spain&most Europe more racist towards blacks than Britain, US

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the IAT cannot predict whether or not an individual will act on his/her racist/prejudiced thougths, it can predict whether or not a society will engage in racist actions based on the level of unconscious biases in the community.

It is not a good tool to compare relative racism between different countries.

It also in itself is not a really good test, I participated in it. IIRC I kept messing up in the second half of the test because the test messes with your muscle memory you got until that point.

Piecake

It is not a good tool to compare relative racism between different countries.

It also in itself is not a really good test, I participated in it. IIRC I kept messing up in the second half of the test because the test messes with your muscle memory you got until that point.

PHILIP TETLOCK: It's a test that is enormously intuitively appealing. I mean, I've never seen a psychological test take off the way the IAT has and - you know, has gripped the popular imagination the way it has because it just seems, on its surface, to be measuring something like prejudice.

VEDANTAM: Tetlock and other critics are concerned that just because someone shows bias on the IAT doesn't mean that they're going to act in biased ways in real life. If a test cannot predict how you're going to act, isn't it just an academic exercise?

TETLOCK: There is the question of whether or not people who score as prejudiced on the IAT actually act in discriminatory ways toward other human beings in real-world situations. And if they don't, if there is very close to zero relationship between those two things, what exactly is the IAT measuring?

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)

VEDANTAM: It turns out, a lot. There's new evidence that suggests the IAT does, in fact, predict behavior. But to see it, you have to zoom out. You have to widen the lens to look beyond the individual and into the community.

ERIC HEHMAN: Hello, my name is Eric Hehman.

VEDANTAM: He's a psychology professor.

HEHMAN: At Ryerson University.

VEDANTAM: Eric got interested in the IAT as he was researching the use of lethal force in policing. He was trying to design a statistical model that would predict where in the United States people of color are disproportionately likely to be shot and killed by police. First, he needed some baseline data. This proved hard since the federal government does not require police departments to report deadly shootings by officers.

HEHMAN: We really had no idea about really basic questions, such as how often they were happening, where they're happening and who they were happening to.

VEDANTAM: But in 2015, some news outlets, including The Washington Post and the British newspaper The Guardian, began to compile their own database on police homicides in the United States. According to official terminology, these are called justifiable homicides.

HEHMAN: So what they were putting together was the most comprehensive list of these justifiable homicides in the United States.

VEDANTAM: Eric used this data to pinpoint where disproportionate police shootings of minorities were most likely. Then he turned to the IAT data. Eric suspected that if bias was a factor in police shootings, it was likely that implicit bias, rather than overt racism, was at play.

HEHMAN: Traditionally, the field has found that explicit biases predict behaviors that are under our conscious control, whereas implicit biases predict things that are a little bit more automatic and a little bit more difficult to control. And this is exactly the sort of behavior that we thought might be involved in police shootings.

VEDANTAM: People take the IAT anonymously, but they need to provide some information, like their race and where they live. With the millions of data points the IAT provided, Eric painted a map of bias across the United States. Some places seem to have lots of bias, others very little. Now he had two databases. He cross-referenced them to see if there was any connection between communities with disproportionate numbers of police shootings of minorities and communities showing high levels of implicit bias. A powerful correlation emerged.

HEHMAN: So we find that in communities in which people have more racial biases, African-Americans are being killed more by police than their presence in the population would warrant.

VEDANTAM: Let me repeat this because it's important. In places where implicit bias in a community is higher than average, police shootings of minorities are also higher than average. Eric's analysis effectively pinpoints where police shootings are likely to happen. But here's what makes the finding crazy. Most people who take the IAT are not police officers.

HEHMAN: So we're predicting police behavior by not measuring police at all themselves.

VEDANTAM: Coming up, we explore how a test can predict how people will behave even when they are not the people who take the test. Stay with us.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=531587708

Whichever way you look it, the UK comes out smelling of racial harmony on a massive scale.

You forgot the s, right?

Even as a Brit living in the NW and in greater Manchester, and experiencing a ton of kind and warm hearted, non racist people in my personal and professional the combo of Brexit and the terror attacks and the reaction has demasked the racial and anti immigrant undertone this nation has. Sure labour and the left had a huge upswing recently with the election but the racists and their ilk have become emboldened and have grown in number, or rather come of out the dark so to speak. a nasty, disgusting groundswell of racism has occurred in the uk over the past year. Hopefully that will come to an end once labour gets into government as the ruling party,

Izuna

Banned
You forgot the s, right?

Even as a Brit living in the NW and in greater Manchester, and experiencing a ton of kind and warm hearted, non racist people in my personal and professional the combo of Brexit and the terror attacks and the reaction has demasked the racial and anti immigrant undertone this nation has. Sure labour and the left had a huge upswing recently with the election but the racists and their ilk have become emboldened and have grown in number, or rather come of out the dark so to speak. a nasty, disgusting groundswell of racism has occurred in the uk over the past year. Hopefully that will come to an end once labour gets into government as the ruling party,

Eww

The test is also complete bunk

Piecake

What I said plus the fact that the test is English-only plus self-selecting still makes it extremely unreliable.

"Because we measure it generally we can predict it for police officers" doesn't work when the general measurement is completely wrong. For example, the subset of Serbians who speak English and chose to take the test is not representative at all.

We did so at the level of core-based statistical areas(CBSAs), a geographic area defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget of at least 10,000 people and adjacent areas that are socioeconomically tied to a metropolitan center by commuting. Importantly, Project Implicit data are not systematic samples of CBSAs: Although the percentage of Blackand White Project Implicit respondents in each CBSA correlates strongly with the racial demographics of each CBSA as reported by the U.S. Census (r ¼ .931, p < .001), Project Implicit data differ from the general population on other demographic factors and may not be representative.

http://erichehman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HehmanFlakeCalanchiniSPPS.pdf

The article that I linked also acknowledges that the data they are using may not be Representative, but it still finds that strong correlation between high levels of implicit bias and police shootings using the same data as the OP's original article is using.

As for why, id hazard a guess that it has to do with the very nature of the thing being measured. Implicit bias is learned and internalized from your society. Do English speaking Serbians grow up in a different culture than non-English speaking Serbians? Do they learn and internalize different views on race, gender, prejudice through their popular culture, society, etc?

I don't know that answer, but my guess would be no.

What might make this data rather meaningless is that is not that it is self-selecting or only English speakers, but the regions are just too big. The article that I liked looked at the locality and the city to find that strong correlation. Looking at a state/nation level probably doesn't work because Berlin is a lot different from farmville Germany.

Eww

The test is also complete bunk

Nah, you might saw ewwwww,whatever that means, but the fucking sad fact is that in the current shitshow of uk politics post brexit shitstorm is the party with the best chance of giving the racists and nationalists the boot and returning to social progressivism is labour. Personally I wish their was a new party which could cut through the political bullshit, but it's nice to want things, the reality is the status quo will remain for a long time

I'm not some idealist who thinks the labour or the liberal movement in the uk is above reproach and find myself more of a left leaning centrist, yet labour with their grassroots movement and leader, currently, in the uk political climate, represent the best chance of salvaging the nations acceptance of non white and European people.

And yes, the test is questionable to say the least, especially given the op's posting history,

Shadowhelper is the biggest anti EU troll on this board

more likely a voat troll or astroturfer. His M.O. is the same for every thread: make one shitty uninformed post, get everyone to pile on that, never post again in the same thread. He hasn't even posted in this one.

The same strategy was used by some accounts here during the 2016 election and specific Russia topics relating to it btw. What's missing with him though, is the "I totally agree and this a great post" buddy account(s) to make it seem like an actual conversation and not bullshit spreading. So I'm left with him being a voat troll, just to see how riled up gaf can get.
No idea why he isn't banned yet, but it shouldn't take too long.

However, I was not aware of the IAT's status in terms of method, so the people bringing that up (Crab and others) have my thanks. There is at least some merit is discussing that part.

zou

not really surprised by Germany. they never dealt with their immigrant population, their school system is heavily biased against immigrant and/or poor kids and until 2000 they didn't grant citizenship for children born in Germany. And even after those changes, it still remains one of the most heavily restricted in Europe. so makes sense that bias would be higher compared to countries like Greece or the UK where citizenship by birth is more easily obtained.

edit: hell, this is from a EU report from 2001:
that, in spite of the considerable number of non-citizens who have been living in Germany for a long time or even from birth, there was a reluctance by Germany to consider itself as a country of immigration.” Persons of immigrant origin, including those who are second or third generation born in Germany, tended to remain 'foreigners' in German statistics and public discourse

Occam

more likely a voat troll or astroturfer. His M.O. is the same for every thread: make one shitty uninformed post, get everyone to pile on that, never post again in the same thread. He hasn't even posted in this one.

The same strategy was used by some accounts here during the 2016 election and specific Russia topics relating to it btw. What's missing with him though, is the "I totally agree and this a great post" buddy account(s) to make it seem like an actual conversation and not bullshit spreading. So I'm left with him being a voat troll, just to see how riled up gaf can get.

However, I was not aware of the IAT's status in terms of method, so the people bringing that up (Crab and others) have my thanks. There is at least some merit is discussing that part.

Yeah, annoying.

This seems to sum it up:
Implicit association tests are awful, and even if they weren't, the samples for those tests are self-selecting.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/01/psychologys-racism-measuring-tool-isnt-up-to-the-job.html

This graph is meaningless; completely unfit to make international comparisons of the nature it wants.

not really surprised by Germany. they never dealt with their immigrant population, their school system is heavily biased against immigrant and/or poor kids and until 2000 they didn't grant citizenship for children born in Germany. And even after those changes, it still remains one of the most heavily restricted in Europe. so makes sense that bias would be higher compared to countries like Greece or the UK where citizenship by birth is more easily obtained.

edit: hell, this is from a EU report from 2001:

You should maybe read the sources or at least the first page here.

France and Germany more racist towards Blacks than America? GTFO!
Black American soldiers in occupied Germany were treated better in there than they were in America.
The USA refused to even believe Black soldiers possessed the intellectual capacity to fight on the front lines, while France was fielding whole Black African units.
Black Americans fled to France during the Jim Crow era just to retain their fucking sanity.
Show me the pictures of French and Germans standing around having picnics while Black folk swing from trees.
Show me the stats that show hundreds of Black people being shot by cops with no accountability.
Im not excusing Europe's dirt, but this thread is about the Black experience in Europe versus the Black experience in America and one of them involves extensive racist violence and brutally enforced segregation.

IceCold

Where does this data come from? I strongly doubt that Portugal has similar levels of racism than eastern Europe. The balkans being that low is also quite...dubious.

Lagamorph

There are a lot of African countries in the Commonwealth of Nations, it's not really much of a surprise that the UK has comparatively low levels of racism against black people.

Now Middle Eastern and Eastern European white people on the other hand....

Ive read the experiences of Black Americans who travelled abroad (WEB Dubois, Paul Robeson, Nina Simone) and all of them wrote about how significantly less repressive the racial environments in Europe was compared to America.
Whole parts of America for Black people were close to the equivalent of Nazi Germany or Czarist Russia for Jews: the barbaric medical experiments, the racial segregation, the lynchings, the pogroms, the imprisonment, etc: the only thing they werent doing was mass exterminating and that was only because Black labor was a value asset.

keuja

From my experience, people are less racists toward black in France than in the US. Just anecdotal, but black friend grew up in France and went to the US to study and the stories he told me were scary. Basically he was shocked that he had no choice but to hang out with other black people... I think it was somewhere in the south though.

RRockman

Banned
France never liked us though. IIRC didn't they support the confederates during the Civil war?

Oh god. Joke post? I really hope so.

it turns out I misinterpreted the events here.

I was misinformed in thinking that they did assist. An attempt was made however and it looks as if it was squashed because Britain was so out spoken about slavery and cooler heads prevailed in the French government.

Buuuuuut they did get a huge loan from French banks

I guess this technically doesn't count as official support but it still bothered me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
More racist than the US

*if you completely ignore the US graph and pretend it doesn't exist, that is.

If you ignore the fact that black and brown people are being killed by law enforcement almost every day, and are imprisoned and face systemic oppression at levels unheard of in the rest of the Western world; yeah, you too would come to the conclusion that America is a better place for race relations. Also ignore literal Nazis and supremacists holding public rallies and have a President sympathetic to their cause.

Two Words

People rightfully bash the US for how incredibly racist people in this country can be and how pervasive racism is throughout all forms of government and private establishments. But even then, the USA is pretty much the best place to be as a black person. The majority of the world treats us far worse. I can only imagine how bad a map of Asian countries would look.

At least we know who read more than the thread title

This isn't how bad racism is. People rightfully bash the US for how incredibly racist people in this country can be and how pervasive racism is throughout all forms of government and private establishments. But even then, the USA is pretty much the best place to be as a black person. The majority of the world treats us far worse. I can only imagine how bad a map of Asian countries would look.

For example didn't

watershed

Banned
But there are literally dozens upon dozens of European gaffers who regularly post in threads about racism saying that not only are they not racist but racism is somehow not a thing in Europe. Is it possible I've been lied to or that they are in deep self-denial?

Implicit bias tests are not bunk. People will do anything to discredit the notion that they might be a deeply flawed human being living in a deeply flawed society.

I read the OP

Nothing in the source even implies that the study claims Europe (especially the singled out countries in the thread title) is more racist than the USA. A short Google search would even reveal the opposite.

You just went with the bullshit of a well known troll because it was in line with your own prejudices.

Germany's football team has been virtually white while England and France have had black and mixed race players for decades.

I think the penny dropped in Germany with their virtually all white teams and they've been doing a lot lately, a few non whites have broken into the team, 30 years too late but better than never.

Two Words

Nothing in the source even implies that the study claims Europe (especially the singled out countries in the thread title) is more racist than the USA. A short Google search would even reveal the opposite.

You just went with the bullshit of a well known troll because it was in line of your own prejudices.
No, this isn't some "prejudice". It's well known. You think I should feel more comfortable as a black man going to Russia, Japan, China, Spain, Brazil, Italy, or Bulgaria, etc compared to the US? The world is racist, and ethnically homogenous areas are the worst when it comes to it.

No, this isn't some "prejudice". It's well known. You think I should feel more comfortable as a black man going to Russia, Japan, China, Spain, Brazil, Italy, or Bulgaria, etc compared to the US? The world is racist, and ethnically homogenous areas are the worst when it comes to it.

Have you ever been to those countries

Japan is fine

Well known.

Yeah, what I'm supposed to say if all the things are well known?

Two Words

Well known.

Yeah, what I'm supposed to say if all the things are well known?

Well you're free to take on the other person's attitude, which was "Japan is fine". I doubt we'd see this shit fly in America though....

terra-formars-racism.jpg

C6zlx.jpg

Wamb0wneD

In results that should surprise no one, the latest studies prove attitudes towards black people in America are far less racist than anywhere in Europe.

And also completely not surprising the lesser racist countries towards blacks in Europe are Britain, Sweden and Norway. There are also some other countries that rank well among attitudes towards blacks like Belgium, Austria and Slovenia.

When it comes to Europe the attitudes in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, are also terrible towards black people, and worse than more racially open countries like Britain or Sweden. But these attitudes are the worst in Eastern Europe.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the culture of most of Europe is to view black and colored people as inferior and second class. Its hard to deny, having even a little bit of experience, that racial attitudes in America and Britain are far superior to most of Europe.

Hopefully, these attitudes can improve everywhere. We still have a lot of work to do.

Lol, OP, check your sources. Germany scores better than California for example

img_04700kbyi.png

Wait, isn't OP the guy in that food thread that said European food was shit and a copy of American food?

Holy shit. The BS OP is spouting in his post is beyond ridiculous. What is wrong with you?

Shadowhelper is the biggest anti EU troll on this board

Is this shit bannable? Drive by posting a thread with inflammatory language like that with a clear agenda is kinda fucked up imo but I don't see anything in the TOS against it specifically.

But there are literally dozens upon dozens of European gaffers who regularly post in threads about racism saying that not only are they not racist but racism is somehow not a thing in Europe. Is it possible I've been lied to or that they are in deep self-denial?

Implicit bias tests are not bunk. People will do anything to discredit the notion that they might be a deeply flawed human being living in a deeply flawed society.

Maybe read the first page of the thread. Or even the second.

Game-Biz

This is old(ish) news. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368316

Regardless, this test isn't really going to give you the results you'd want with good accuracy. The test could easily make a non-racist seem racist, take the test for yourself. It's interesting, but not trustworthy at all. The world is obviously racist, and of course some are worst than others, but America's recent past still continues to influence people to be raised racist by racist parents who were raised too, by crackpot racists. America is crazy racist...if you're white and somewhat doubt this, then just ask a black man or woman what racist shit he or she has had to endure in the last year alone. It's fucked. I didn't have perspective until I heard it firsthand from someone who is of color. Couldn't believe I was so ignorant of what minorities go through.

Two Words

This is old news. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368316

Regardless, this test isn't really going to give you the results you'd want with good accuracy. The test could easily make a non-racist seem racist, take the test for yourself. It's interesting, but not trustworthy at all. The world is obviously racist, and of course some are worst than others, but America's recent past still continues to influence people to be raised racist by racist parents who were raised too, by crackpot racists. America is crazy racist...if you're white and somewhat doubt this, then just ask a black man or woman what racist shit he or she has to had to endure in the last year alone. It's fucked. I didn't have perspective until I heard it firsthand from someone who is of color. Couldn't believe I was so ignorant of what minorities go through.

All of this is true. But it doesn't change that ethnically homogenous areas tend to be much worse. And really, this shouldn't be surprising when you take a closer look at humans in general. The tighter knit we can make when it comes to us and them, the thems are treated much worse.

Well you're free to take on the other person's attitude, which was "Japan is fine". I doubt we'd see this shit fly in America though....

https://kenpire.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/terra-formars-racism.jpg?w=870&h=836[IMG]

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/C6zlx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I dont kniw why you want to talk about Japan in a thread about Europe, but how are you dealing with the fact that the study shows the opposite of what you claim?

But I guess the study is now meaningless, flawed and not accurate at all.

Simplet

http://erichehman.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/HehmanFlakeCalanchiniSPPS.pdf

The article that I linked also acknowledges that the data they are using may not be Representative, but it still finds that strong correlation between high levels of implicit bias and police shootings using the same data as the OP's original article is using.

As for why, id hazard a guess that it has to do with the very nature of the thing being measured. Implicit bias is learned and internalized from your society. Do English speaking Serbians grow up in a different culture than non-English speaking Serbians? Do they learn and internalize different views on race, gender, prejudice through their popular culture, society, etc?

I don't know that answer, but my guess would be no.

What might make this data rather meaningless is that is not that it is self-selecting or only English speakers, but the regions are just too big. The article that I liked looked at the locality and the city to find that strong correlation. Looking at a state/nation level probably doesn't work because Berlin is a lot different from farmville Germany.

Is this a serious post? You think serbians that speak fluent english and spontaneously register to participate in a study about unconscious racism are reptesentative of the general population? Even if this was a simple study of cognitive speed in general their probable superior socioeconomic status would bias the results.

Measley

Don't rely on shit like this. Travel and experience the world for yourself. In my experience, if you're a black American you're not placed in the same boat as African and Caribbean migrants.

Piecake

Is this a serious post? You think serbians that speak fluent english and spontaneously register to participate in a study about unconscious racism are reptesentative of the general population? Even if this was a simple study of cognitive speed in general their probable superior socioeconomic status would bias the results.

Well, Serbia is ranked 17th in the world in the English Proficiency index with a High Proficiency rating, the same rating as Belgium and Germany, so I think it is a possibility, yes. Its not like only rich people are highly proficient in English with that score.

Again, the article I linked used that same data that was not necessarily represented, but still found that strong correlation.

You can be a upper-middle class person who believes in pluralism and diversity but have high levels of implicit bias due to the culture, its norms, assumptions, beliefs that you and everyone else in your region grew up in.

Implicit bias is quite a bit different than values and beliefs. This is why the IAT has gotten so much shit because while that person who believes in pluralism and diversity might have a high implicit bias score, that person is not very likely to act on it. So what does it measure?

Well, that is the findings from that study I linked

The key point of that new study though is just the sheer fact of a community having a high implicit bias score means that there is a strong correlation of that community committing more racist/prejudiced actions (the action studied was police shootings).

Simplet

Well, Serbia is ranked 17th in the world in the English Proficiency index with a High Proficiency rating, the same rating as Belgium and Germany, so I think it is a possibility, yes. Its not like only rich people are highly proficient in English with that score.

Again, the article I linked used that same data that was not necessarily represented, but still found that strong correlation.

You can be a upper-middle class person who believes in pluralism and diversity but have high levels of implicit bias due to the culture, its norms, assumptions, beliefs that you and everyone else in your region grew up in.

Implicit bias is quite a bit different than values and beliefs. This is why the IAT has gotten so much shit because while that person who believes in pluralism and diversity might have a high implicit bias score, that person is not very likely to act on it. So what does it measure?

Well, that is the findings from that study I linked

The key point of that new study though is just the sheer fact of a community having a high implicit bias score means that there is a strong correlation of that community committing more racist/prejudiced actions (the action studied was police shootings).

I'm not even talking about superior socio-economic status being linked to more progressive attitudes toward race (even though it wouldn't surprise me if it was, and those studies should be easy to find). I'm talking about the fact that superior socio-economic status is reliably linked with faster cognitive performance, and it says in the article that everyone keeps linking to in this thread that people that are cognitively faster get more neutral results to the test.Add to this the confounding factor of doing any kind of test in a second language (your level of proficienvy becomes a factor), and the well-known fact that words in a foreign language do not have the same emotional impact as words in your mother tongue.

Also, I grew up in an affluent neighborhood south of Paris where all the best French technological universities are located, am currently doing my PhD in mandarin chinese, and the proportion of my childhood friends who wouldn't be embarrassed about doing a linguistic test like this in english is probably around 50%. Take this as you want.

keuja

But OP, why didn't you post a map of the US states and the average of the US for reference? Or mention that the results of such implicit bias studies are controversial at best. Not denying that racism exists in Europe but you seemed to have an agenda to push for some reasons.

But OP, why didn't you post a map of the US states and the average of the US for reference? Or mention that the results of such implicit bias studies are controversial at best. Not denying that racism exists in Europe but you seemed to have an agenda to push for some reasons.

As if he will ever post here again.

I'd paint all of it in red from personal experience. In fact, I'm genuinely surprised at the lack of red in some areas.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom