• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

firehawk12

Subete no aware
God fucking damn it, do I seriously have to spend money on Rogue One now?

Is it coming to Netflix soon, by any chance?
You don't really need to watch the movie. Half of the time they're just basically talking about other things (that they've talked about on the review).

Got around to watch Star Trek Beyond and the HitB episode afterwards. I was surprised to see the runtime for the episode and wondered what they could possibly discuss for almost an hour.

They got me, fucking frauds!

You don't really need to watch the movie. Half of the time they're just basically talking about other things (that they've talked about on the review).
They only ever barely reference a specific occurrence in the movie itself anyways.

Yeah, they rarely commented on specifics of what was happening in the movie. The majority of the time is just spent repeating what they said in HitB ad nauseam while Mike asks stupid questions that make it clear that he never paid any attention to the movie in the first place and is just waiting for his chance to bring up Star Trek again.

Alcoholic fraud. Check the real-time RLM webcam.

jviggy43

So the Rogue one commentary doesn't really need the movie to listen to They barely talk about whats happening on screen anyway haha.

Geeky

Yeah, they rarely commented on specifics of what was happening in the movie. The majority of the time is just spent repeating what they said in HitB ad nauseam while Mike asks stupid questions that make it clear that he never paid any attention to the movie in the first place and is just waiting for his chance to bring up Star Trek again.

Alcoholic fraud. Check the real-time RLM webcam.

Yea, a very repetitive track if you have seen the HITB. I wish they could have tried to look up new info to talk about. Like listen to the actual commentary track to try and "respond" to some thing there or even look up Wookie Pedia stuff on the characters to poke fun at.

The only interesting thing was the anecdote about Jim's kid.

Mike and Rich raised a couple of points I don't remember thinking about when I saw it.

Why did Cassian still want to kill Jyn's dad(other than to have a "character" scene in the movie)? They saw the Death Star wipe out Jeddah and see it is operational. Cassian doesn't trust Jyn about the hologram message about the plans since he didn't see it, but kidnapping him to try and get information out of him seems like the most pertinent move at this point.

Why didn't they blow up the ship to ensure the stolen plans are destroyed (outside of having the Vader scene).

Cheerilee

I like how they pointed out how they had a couple of spies with perfect disguises ready to infiltrate an unsuspecting Imperial base. Oh, and we also brought along a small army of Rebel soldiers who wish to blow stuff up. Okay, Team A will go infiltrate, while you soldiers blow stuff up and get yourselves killed "as a distraction" (which ultimately jeopardizes the mission). It was a make-work project to keep the Rebel soldiers happy, and give them some reason to die.

And how a better plan would have been "Team A will go infiltrate. When it looks like Team A is about to be discovered, that's when the Rebel soldiers will get a signal to launch the distraction." It would've provided some dramatic tension for Team A's sneaking, and given the soldiers' deaths some more meaning.

Of course, this a is a movie that ended with the audience cheering and applauding Darth Vader as he mows down a small army of helpless Rebel soldiers...

I think RLM almost killed me, just now. I was watching Rich of the Worst, and I starting laughing so hard that I was choking and coughing(which is normal), but then it felt like blood was cut off, and then rapidly put back in. Like when your leg loses circulation, and gets it back. It was scary. I knew that Rich Evans would kill me, I just didn't know when.

Schlorgan

I think RLM almost killed me, just now. I was watching Rich of the Worst, and I starting laughing so hard that I was choking and coughing(which is normal), but then it felt like blood was cut off, and then rapidly put back in. Like when your leg loses circulation, and gets it back. It was scary. I knew that Rich Evans would kill me, I just didn't know when.
First you watch it, then you get Diabetes.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I like how they pointed out how they had a couple of spies with perfect disguises ready to infiltrate an unsuspecting Imperial base. Oh, and we also brought along a small army of Rebel soldiers who wish to blow stuff up. Okay, Team A will go infiltrate, while you soldiers blow stuff up and get yourselves killed "as a distraction" (which ultimately jeopardizes the mission). It was a make-work project to keep the Rebel soldiers happy, and give them some reason to die.

And how a better plan would have been "Team A will go infiltrate. When it looks like Team A is about to be discovered, that's when the Rebel soldiers will get a signal to launch the distraction." It would've provided some dramatic tension for Team A's sneaking, and given the soldiers' deaths some more meaning.

Of course, this a is a movie that ended with the audience cheering and applauding Darth Vader as he mows down a small army of helpless Rebel soldiers...

Literally storytelling 101 stuff. Just watched the movie this weekend and was appalled by these sorts of blunders.

I know RLM and others give the Vader scene a lot of shit but for me it was the most interestingly filmed scene in the film. Continuity and story notwithstanding the visuals, music and scary tone of that sequence made it really stand out. I would have genuinely preferred Edwards had make a whole film about Vader hunting down escaped Jedi than the tedious "war" movie that was R1.

I know RLM and others give the Vader scene a lot of shit but for me it was the most interestingly filmed scene in the film. Continuity and story notwithstanding the visuals, music and scary tone of that sequence made it really stand out. I would have genuinely preferred Edwards had make a whole film about Vader hunting down escaped Jedi than the tedious "war" movie that was R1.

So what you're saying is the scene was

Very cool?

Cheerilee

I think I can agree with that. My main takeaway was that the scene was bad because it felt jarringly out-of-place, but removed from Rogue One, it might be an excellent scene.

Looking back on it, in my first impressions post I complained that a few of the characters felt cut-and-pasted into Rogue One from a different, better movie. I also complained that the fanservice tipped a scale into something that didn't work, but thinking about it, a pure Star Wars fanservice movie could be awesome. It's the framework of Rogue One that doesn't work with these things. There are perhaps multiple good movies here, being combined in a way that doesn't seem to work.

jviggy43

The commentary track addressed it well enough. Compare that scene with the opening of a new hope and its clear why that scene was nothing but fan service (but to be fair all of rogue one was fan service).

Darth Vader was cheesy as fuck. I remember actually rolling my eyes when he started moving down dudes. No wonder he was so tired when he finally boarded the ship in Star Wars... And it took him until the end of return of the Jedi to finally catch his breath, apparently.

I think I can agree with that. My main takeaway was that the scene was bad because it felt jarringly out-of-place, but removed from Rogue One, it might be an excellent scene.

Looking back on it, in my first impressions post I complained that a few of the characters felt cut-and-pasted into Rogue One from a different, better movie. I also complained that the fanservice tipped a scale into something that didn't work, but thinking about it, a pure Star Wars fanservice movie could be awesome. It's the framework of Rogue One that doesn't work with these things. There are perhaps multiple good movies here, being combined in a way that doesn't seem to work.

I also think the reason that it feels like such out-of-place fanservice is because Darth Vader is the only person in that scene we know (he's a thing I know). Nothing is really changes in that scene; it accomplishes nothing. The Rebels start out by having the plans, and also end the scene still with the plans. It also doesn't make Darth Vader seem scary because the people he's mowing down are just faceless rebels, instead making him seem "badass". It's like Han Solo destroying a bunch of Tie Fighters in a movie, we don't care about the people in those Tie Fighters, so instead the focus changes to how amazing the feat performed by the character is. I think if they were going to do the Vader scene, Vader should have killed one of the main characters. Of course, that would also rely on me giving a shit about the main characters of Rogue One, so maybe they just should have cut it entirely.

Exodust

Banned
"I think people like Bayonetta more than they like her game"

Truth bomb right there

Nah. Her design in the first game didn't do it for me, but the game ruled. Her design got better in the second one. She's cool but she was cooler in the sequel, too.

Their channel never was the best when it came to game opinions, so I can't say I'm mad or even annoyed.

jett

D-Member
Nah. Her design in the first game didn't do it for me, but the game ruled. Her design got better in the second one. She's cool but she was cooler in the sequel, too.

Their channel never was the best when it came to game opinions, so I can't say I'm mad or even annoyed.

They honestly say too much dumb shit. Like how they think Ninja Gaiden has better combat because it has fewer moves and combo opportunities. They don't even know what dodge offset is.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
They honestly say too much dumb shit. Like how they think Ninja Gaiden has better combat because it has fewer moves and combo opportunities. They don't even know what dodge offset is.

Plus that you can hit back button to stay in that combo practice screen.

UrbanRats

Truth bomb right there

Bullshit.
Bayonetta has the best action gameplay ever made (or at the very least top three, if you think Ninja Gaiden Black or DMC3 are better).

If anything, the hyper-sexualized tone (though comedic) has been a lazy way to dismiss the game for a lot of people.

Labolas

Truth bomb right there

Love the character but the gameplay is what I love about the series as well. Played the best of DMC games and they never clicked with me like it did with Bayonetta.

Mike earnestly talking about movies he likes is strange. The Star Trek Beyond and Jurassic World reviews were similarly strange. It's a dog going meow strange.

Top Bottom