• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Joeku

lol, all those shitty horror movie endings. Reminds me of Descent, which had its ending changed from hopeless (i.e. kinda like The Mist) to idiot jump scare between regions.

It's funny, The Descent bucks what they said of the jump-scare ending being a recent thing. The North American release of the movie came out like a year before The Mist and did exactly that.

The Mist is somewhat special in that it doesn't shy away from revealing 'good people' to be just as bad as anyone else. The social is not the moral, and every pretense -as RLM points out with the logic of the main- is cast aside in the movie. That is what's great about it.
The rest, like the ending, is kind of just fluff. It's that uncompromising vision that makes it worthwhile.

Also, if you think that's a depressing ending, watch Halloween 3: Season of the Witch. Or just about any episode of The Outer Limits. I never get complaints about "the ending was good enough", in particular because changing it destroys the fucking story. You might even argue that the ending of the short story is actually even worse, which Jay really should have pointed out, because in that one
they arrive at a different town, but the mist remains, presumably indefinitely, as it kind of functions as metaphor. The movie shows that it does end, which is why it's such a punch to the gut. It's a literal perversion of the "must have a happy ending" trope, which is what I mean with 'avoiding pretense' since there are happy endings in reality either

Marcia Gay Harden is goddamn fantastic. In The Mist she is everything that can be terrible about Western society thrown into a bad situation with willing ears. She's so fucking hateable.

It's funny, The Descent bucks what they said of the jump-scare ending being a recent thing. The North American release of the movie came out like a year before The Mist and did exactly that.

Marcia Gay Harden is goddamn fantastic. In The Mist she is everything that can be terrible about Western society thrown into a bad situation with willing ears. She's so fucking hateable.
Is that Christian lady?

*throws peas*

Toby Jones
putting a bullet in her head is one of the most disturbingly cathartic moments in film.

She's the main reason why I don't re-watch The Mist. I'm totally fine with the downer ending, it's the thought of having to spend an hour with that psycho that keeps me away.
Which is why we have to recognize just how amazing her performance when just the thought of being with that character again makes me want to punch a wall

Exodust

Banned
Christian Lady is easily one of the GOAT movie villains because i've never hated someone I'm supposed to in a movie like I do her.

Fat4all

Banned
Rich will dies from Erotic asphyxiation jerking his droid to yearly star wars films before that happens

Jay will commit to a murder/suicide pack with both Mike and Rich, shoot them both and jerk off on their corpses, only to chicken out and be left unable to take his own life and spend the rest of his years in a mental clinic long before that happens.

Aiii

So not worth it
Jay will commit to a murder/suicide pack with both Mike and Rich, shoot them both and jerk off on their corpses, only to chicken out and be left unable to take his own life and spend the rest of his years in a mental clinic long before that happens.

You really went to a dark place on this post, didn't you?

Laputa_94

New Commentary Track!
a1762772704_10.jpg
https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/

Mike, Jay, and Rich Evans watch Rouge One: A Make-Up Story - listen to their exciting commentary as they watch the most boringest Star Wars film ever.

jviggy43

Beating a dead horse, huh? At least they acknowledge it.

Shrug, they made a career and name out of star wars bashing. I enjoy more of it, not really a lot of other places go that in on attacking star wars as more of a cultural phenomenon than incredible movies.

Rockk

Ha. I still haven't watched Rogue One maybe I'll just listen to their commentary track instead. I've watched all their other Rogue One stuff

JoeInky

I got the notification for this whilst I was at work so I didn't know anything other than the title, and thought to myself "keep beating that horse mike!"

Then I get home and it starts with a dead horse.

Nice.

halfbeast

Banned
I think they like Prometheus too much too be a total riff, but it has too many flaws to be that positive.

they don't have to hate on it, just a couple of jokes, maybe an anecdote and an hour long star trek episode discussion with jay audibly rolling his eyes would suffice.

edit: oh yeah, and rogue one is boring as shit. looked good, though. (except the cgi faces)

Grinchy

Banned
Nice. I'm looking forward to that Rogue One commentary. I sat through that horrid movie too recently to go through the pain again, but the day shall come!

The Mist re-view was spot on. Such a grim, but great, film. Really glad Darabont got to make it the way he wanted despite having to release the B&W version later. I remember seeing it when it hit DVD and only hearing that it had a "shocking" ending (I think maybe it was printed on the back of the box or something). Wasn't prepared for what it actually was though. Shit was bleak.

Also totally forgot how much of the Walking Dead cast was in it.

I'll never understand how they were so relatively soft on Prometheus. It's SO MUCH WORSE than almost anything they've ever talked about on Half in the Bag, and it's bad in exactly the ways that usually really nag at them.

I'll never understand how they were so relatively soft on Prometheus. It's SO MUCH WORSE than almost anything they've ever talked about on Half in the Bag, and it's bad in exactly the ways that usually really nag at them.
Maybe if prometheus had been shat on more we wouldn't have more movies coming out where the scientists in these sci fi movies keep doing dumb shit

Hollywood spends millions on a movie, a Star Wars movie nonetheless, and I'm not in the slightest bit interested. A bunch of drunks Milwaukee make a commentary and suddenly I'm all for renting it.

Take note Hollywood execs!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The commentary really is beating a dead horse.

They should have done it as the Nerd Crew characters and tried to be "on" for 2 hours.

JYN URSO IS SO FUCKING AMAZING etc etc

Cheerilee

Minor complaint:

Mike complains that the movie abruptly skips from Jyn Erso as a child who just lost her parents to Jyn Erso as an adult rotting in prison, and we're given no information as to who she is now, or what sort of events made her the kind of person she is now. Rich says it's just like the Lion King, which got away with having the character development happen offscreen. Jay says that he remembers that bothering him as well when he saw the Lion King as a kid.

But the Lion King deliberately didn't have any offscreen character development. Scar fucks up Simba's happy life, Shakespearean-style. Simba flees in terror and meets Timon & Pumbaa, who teach him their life philosophy, which is essentially "I don't give a shit, because nothing matters." Simba starts dancing to this song, and in a couple seconds of transition it's shown that several years have gone by and Simba (still dancing) has grown from a helpless child into the body of a much more powerful adult. There was no character development, aside from some physical growth. Simba wasted several years of his life away, smoking weed with his friends, without a care in the world, doing nothing, and not confronting the shit that happened to him. Then a chance meeting drags Simba out of his blissful ignorance and back into confronting the problems of his previous life.

It's also revealed that in Mufasa/Simba's absense, Scar's evil administration has pretty much fucked up the entire Kingdom, but that's not really something that needs to be explained.

Rogue One does a timeskip and shows Jyn in a strange new position that begs many questions.

The Lion King does a timeskip and shows Simba blissfully trapped in a go-nowhere holding pattern, after adopting a thoroughly unambitious outlook on life, requiring zero explanation.

Top Bottom