• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Checked out the new MST3K episodes on Netflix and... nope. BotW is just so much more enjoyable than that series. Part of it is RLM's chemistry but the biggest difference is that BotW has an actual appreciation and love for the craft that goes into these movies. I enjoyed MST3K as a kid but man, I find it unwatchable now.

Checked out the new MST3K episodes on Netflix and... nope. BotW is just so much more enjoyable than that series. Part of it is RLM's chemistry but the biggest difference is that BotW has an actual appreciation and love for the craft that goes into these movies. I enjoyed MST3K as a kid but man, I find it unwatchable now.
:lol Two completely different shows trying to accomplish two completely different objectives.

Don't bring your MST3K hate in here.

BigAT

I recently tried watching MST3K for the first time. A lot of jokes during the movie were funny and well written, but the pace left me wishing I was watching BOTW instead. It probably didn't help that I actually realized about halfway through that it was actually a movie that had also been done on BOTW (Space Mutiny).

The skits and segments between the movie did absolutely nothing for me though. It felt like I was just tolerating them at best until they got back to the movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had the same thought about MST3K but it ignored because a new video came out the same time. lol

I agree though, MST3K is just boring to watch, even with all the pre-written jokes, and I understand why the RLM people have no interest in just releasing the "raw" footage of their viewing sessions. I think I might understand the live events that the old MST3K people do, because it might be fun to watch a bad movie with a crowd and listen to people shit on it live, but just watching a movie at home while three people do commentary... eh.

(I also get why Rich thinks it'd be completely pointless for him to ever watch MST3K when he does it every month himself.)

Geez that Last Jedi thread has turned into straight up shit slinging at RLM. Funny how people loved their prequel breakdowns but as soon as they criticise Rogue One they're suddenly utter bastards. Star Wars discussion is exhausting.

daevious

Geez that Last Jedi thread has turned into straight up shit slinging at RLM. Funny how people loved their prequel breakdowns but as soon as they criticise Rogue One they're suddenly utter bastards. Star Wars discussion is exhausting.

Star Wars discussion is a mistake and should be avoided by anyone who values sane company.

jett

D-Member

Same people defended TPM tooth and and nail back in 1999, probably. Star Wars fanboys are probably the worst.

wrongonjka.png

Anth0ny

It's the same song and dance for anyone who goes against the majority's opinion. Fanboys everywhere just can't accept a different opinion from theirs.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

and hours later someone made that 'R1 is better' thread.

Exhausting indeed

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I rewatched the R1 HitB recently and really, they aren't even that critical of it. And I like R1 more than TFA too, but hey yeah, R1 has sloppy character writing and flat acting. Whatever man.

Fanboys suck, because they think their opinion on these multi-billion dollar franchises matters more than it actually does. They get a nugget thrown here and there and suddenly they think they were responsible for anything in these movies or that the people responsible for the franchises actually care about them. In return, they feel like they need to defend or praise anything these companies do. It's ridiculous. Get a life.

Schlorgan

and hours later someone made that 'R1 is better' thread.

Exhausting indeed
"How dare they like one movie that rehashes stuff but not the other movie that rehashes stuff in a way more agregious and distracting way but has a sweet Darth Vader scene and a sweet space battle which obviously makes it way better!"

I rewatched the R1 HitB recently and really, they aren't even that critical of it. And I like R1 more than TFA too, but hey yeah, R1 has sloppy character writing and flat acting. Whatever man.
Yeah their and my main complaint is that at every step of the way it feels like a movie that didn't need to be made featuring a story that didn't need to be told and characters that are utterly expendable because of said story that didn't need to be told.

Yeah their and my main complaint is that at every step of the way it feels like a movie that didn't need to be made featuring a story that didn't need to be told and characters that are utterly expendable because of said story that didn't need to be told.

Maybe back in 1977 George Lucas didn't show how the Death Star plans were stolen because it wasn't at all important to the story of Star Wars? Just a theory I've been working on

kevin1025

Banned
Maybe back in 1977 George Lucas didn't show how the Death Star plans were stolen because it wasn't at all important to the story of Star Wars? Just a theory I've been working on

Pretty much. The fact they were stolen is key, not the how.

Even still, I like Rogue One despite the glaring flaws.

Fat4all

Banned
Pretty much. The fact they were stolen is key, not the how.

Even still, I like Rogue One despite the glaring flaws.

I think it's a fine, well made movie with one heck of a decent action sequence at the end.

But the lack of interesting and engaging characters brings down the picture as a whole, and hurts even the conclusion due to not being as invested in the players.

Felt like a bit of a whiff. A pretty whiff.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just found out about the new MST3K yesterday. I hate it enough that I would have given it one star under the old rating system. It's like they replaced the writers with people whose only idea of comedy is Family Guy.

I just found out about the new MST3K yesterday. I hate it enough that I would have given it one star under the old rating system. It's like they replaced the writers with people whose only idea of comedy is Family Guy.

This is, by far, the harshest take I've read on the new season. I don't think I've even really seen anybody take issue with the quality of the writing.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
people on GAF like Rogue One because people on GAF really like when their cartoony comic book movie like Man of Steel is dark because it makes them feel its more socially acceptable to like it.

This is, by far, the harshest take I've read on the new season. I don't think I've even really seen anybody take issue with the quality of the writing.

I don't think its good. They dont let jokes b reathe nad just keep firing them off nonstop so unlike the slower paced jokes of the old seasons where you get some good ones to remember, you get so many bad ones that you just sit there like 'boy you really aren't funny'

kevin1025

Banned
people on GAF like Rogue One because people on GAF really like when their cartoony comic book movie like Man of Steel is dark because it makes them feel its more socially acceptable to like it.

I don't think its good. They dont let jokes b reathe nad just keep firing them off nonstop so unlike the slower paced jokes of the old seasons where you get some good ones to remember, you get so many bad ones that you just sit there like 'boy you really aren't funny'

I always wondered why I liked it, it makes sense now!

I really only had an issue with the timing of jokes during the monster attack in Reptillicus. And that was partly due to the weird pacing of the films just.

Writing wise though I think it's fine, and easily on par with the older series, honestly. FWIW, I do find the head writer Elliot Kalan to be one of the funniest people on the planet, in my opinion.

Fanboys may suck but RLM got a lot worse once they started down the tired contrarian "lol SJW losers" path.

whatever man, the only time I've ever laughed at a half in the bag skit was when Mike says Jay should marry Mr Plinket, and when Jay refuses he says "what are you? HOMOPHOBIC!?" which makes Jay scramble to sign the papers.

komplanen

Jeff Gerstmann got death threats for 8.8

I don't even think that's the worst part anymore since didn't Jason Schreier get death threats for reporting a rumor that No Man's Sky was delayed. Turned out he was right and the game was shit anyways.

I can't imagine what RLM is going through every time they say anything about anything.

On the nights I have a dream where I go to the red letter media office to watch bad movies with the guys (because apparently subconsciously I'm one of those losers who wants to be friends with them), Jay is always a dick to me in my dreams and like wants me to gtfo

Which is funny when you consider he's probably among the nicest guys in there. Maybe when he turned into super Sexy Jay my brain thinks he's now an asshole

Not

Banned

Wow, that's pretty sad. MST3K is still hilarious, I was surprised. I was expecting it to be Rifftrax level.

Top Bottom