• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: P.N.03

RpgN

TunaLover said:
Heh thanks, playing as Papillon suit Vanessa with Zero Suit Samus moveset is priceless, I tell you :lol

Speaking of, am I the only one who is reminded of Metroid Prime when playing P.N.03 a little?

For some reason, I get that connection. A lonely female in a furistic place that hardly speaks, that feeling that you're alone. And some sounds remind me of of it too 0_0

I'm off to play mission 10 now, I hope it's not as cruel as the last one :(

I have read so many different, contrasting and varied impressions on this game that I've been tempted to actually play it (currently in backlog). Sadly, more and more games keep coming, and I have only a limited amount of time.

nightez

Banned
Surgeon Rocket said:
ops969.gif

Well I know why I bought it.
this picture is iconic

I thank P.N.03 because it's complete failure probably lead to Mikami doing things right with Godhand and Kamiya taking the "sexy dance combat" even further with Bayonetta. Hard to view this game as an actual retail release and not just a tech demo that slipped out somehow, however.

v0yce

Second best game on the Cube. This game is so amazing. When it "clicks" for you, its incredibly addictive. Its one of those games where you get in the zone and just get lost.

The control complaints never made sense to me. They're different, but easy enough to pick up and once you do its really fast and precise. The only real complaint that I could ever understand was the recycled environments, which didn't bother me, but I can see how they could disappoint others.

And yeah, SHMUP is the best comparison.

Fun game. Flawed, and not well-budgeted, but it had a slick presentation and the only Flagship-penned story I ever enjoyed. I liked the dance moves, the chaining, the music, the momentum the whole game had. I never did complete the ridiculous requirements they put in the US version for getting the Papillon suit. And the dodge buttons should have been on the face of the controller by default instead of the Gamecube controller's awful, mushy analog triggers.

Its spirit lives on in RE's Mercenaries. They should make Vanessa a DLC character for RE5.

I would hesitate to say the game is downright "great," but it is very, very good. There's no doubt that the game's high quality/sales ratio is one of the main reasons it is held in such high esteem among so many gamers; it's certainly no God Hand or Resident Evil 4. It is, however, once of the coolest games to be really good at. Taking down enemies without a scratch pretty much requires you to look awesome while doing it.

Gio_CoD

Banned
digita1alchemy said:
I would hesitate to say the game is downright "great," but it is very, very good. There's no doubt that the game's high quality/sales ratio is one of the main reasons it is held in such high esteem among so many gamers; it's certainly no God Hand or Resident Evil 4. It is, however, once of the coolest games to be really good at. Taking down enemies without a scratch pretty much requires you to look awesome while doing it.
I think what you mean to say is that if this game sold 500k plus, the majority consensus would be that it is complete and utter GARBAGE. However, since it only sold 13k, it's awesome.

mantidor

Monroeski said:
I found a ton of copies near me with a Gamestop search, the first place I looked, for just about 3 bucks. Have you tried their site?

Sometimes I forget to mention I don't live in North America, and importing costs are usually way too high. I've only used play-asia so far and its cheap airmail option, even though it takes like two months to get here (Bogota, Colombia), but play-asia has the item out of print.

I've got more luck wandering around small video game shops around here , I actually found a Jungle Beat copy, another game I thought impossible to find, and it was only $40. And yes, thats cheap here, games sometimes go as high as $100, if you want to be legal of course.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
jiji said:
Fun game. Flawed, and not well-budgeted, but it had a slick presentation and the only Flagship-penned story I ever enjoyed. I liked the dance moves, the chaining, the music, the momentum the whole game had. I never did complete the ridiculous requirements they put in the US version for getting the Papillon suit. And the dodge buttons should have been on the face of the controller by default instead of the Gamecube controller's awful, mushy analog triggers.

Its spirit lives on in RE's Mercenaries. They should make Vanessa a DLC character for RE5.

As sad as it sounds, I would actually pay for that. Put her in Mercenaries, please.

Gio_CoD said:
I think what you mean to say is that if this game sold 500k plus, the majority consensus would be that it is complete and utter GARBAGE. However, since it only sold 13k, it's awesome.

That's how these things normally work, yeah. It makes the people who like the game feel like they are in some cool, exclusive club. Regardless though, the game is not "complete and utter garbage" ;) I am not trying to diminish the quality of the game, I'm just saying that the poor sales have played a part in the game's cult status. I mean, that's implied in the definition of "cult" anyway. It's game with rock solid mechanics and some fantastic design built around those mechanics...but light on pretty much everything else and a bit repetitive. It's understandable why a lot of people don't like the game. Besides the unorthodox controls, it's a scoring game, plain and simple. And most people nowadays don't give a shit about scoring games, especially without online leaderboards.

Just beat mission 5. I still think it's just okay. The camera is really messing me up a lot and I still haven't gotten used to the back button being useless. I have no problem with tank controls in survival horror games and even enjoy them there, but it really doesn't work in a game like this. I'm gonna keep playing because I have nothing else to do but I doubt I'll end up loving the game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
v0yce said:
Second best game on the Cube. This game is so amazing. When it "clicks" for you, its incredibly addictive. Its one of those games where you get in the zone and just get lost.

The control complaints never made sense to me. They're different, but easy enough to pick up and once you do its really fast and precise. The only real complaint that I could ever understand was the recycled environments, which didn't bother me, but I can see how they could disappoint others.

And yeah, SHMUP is the best comparison.
basically came to post this.

game is one of the best shmups to come out lately (that care to have their own identity), and likely one of the most prominent arcade action games from last gen. also, controls flowlessly.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
sdornan said:
I just looked up P.N.03 on Wikipedia because I knew I had heard the name before but forgot exactly what it was. I still haven't played it, but did you know the game only sold 10,000 units in Japan and 13,000 in North America? That's crazy.

That sucks. I loved PN03 and always wanted a sequel, but that's obviously not happening. I ended up buying the game three times, too! Imported the Japanese version at release. Bought the U.S. version for the hell of it later on for $10 new. Then I picked up a used copy in Japan when I was living there and itching to play it.

SteelAttack said:
I have read so many different, contrasting and varied impressions on this game that I've been tempted to actually play it (currently in backlog). Sadly, more and more games keep coming, and I have only a limited amount of time.

I think the problem is that people were expecting a third-person action game, and while PN03 is certainly played from that viewpoint and has the typical game play elements like jumping, ducking, dodging, etc., the game is really more like an arcade SHMUP than a run n' gun action title.

Yeah. It's pretty awesome but terribly simple, repetitive and poorly designed.

That said, they still nicely captured that "30 seconds of fun."

thundr51

Count me as +1 for NA and +1 for JP.

I enjoyed the game but imo the biggest flaw with this game was the music!! or rather Lack of it :lol With vanessa dancing around and dodging it would have been great to have some tunes with a solid beat, but it didn't. I like techno as much as the next geek but they should have spent a little less money modeling vanessa and a bit more on the music budget....ok who am I kidding, I'm sure they could have cut money from somewhere else...:D

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Huh? PN03 had a great soundtrack.

The game was all-around awesome. It would make for a good XBLA/PSN game.

When I play this game I don't think "hmm feels like a 2D shooter".

Judging from this thread there is apparently something wrong with me.

Joseph Merrick said:
never played space invaders?

That makes more sense actually. In Space Invaders you had those shields or whatever to jump behind. Terribly boring game though.

Just beat mission 7. I really wish there was more variety in the areas. I don't hate the designs by any means; just wish there were more. Been using a fully upgraded Prima Blazer. Should I save up for the next suit?

daemonic

Banned
I must be one of the few people that still play this game up to now. It's just so rewarding pulling off insane combos and making it look easy. I know the game totally has its flaws but god its fun, even if pretty repetitive.

cosmicblizzard said:
Just beat mission 7. I really wish there was more variety in the areas. I don't hate the designs by any means; just wish there were more. Been using a fully upgraded Prima Blazer. Should I save up for the next suit?

Are you doing the trial missions in between? Because that's the way to earn money to buy the suits and upgrades. You'll definitely want to buy the Blackbird at some point, and from what I remember, it's pretty costly.

demonix69 said:
Are you doing the trial missions in between? Because that's the way to earn money to buy the suits and upgrades. You'll definitely want to buy the Blackbird at some point, and from what I remember, it's pretty costly.

Ah. No, I haven't. I'll start doing those.

daemonic

Banned
You're close to finishing the game though.. so you could just aim to finish, then replay on hard mode and buy the remaining suits then :)

demonix69 said:
You're close to finishing the game though.. so you could just aim to finish, then replay on hard mode and buy the remaining suits then :)

Oh damn, it's that short? I have like 2 hours on the clock. Guess it does have replay value. Guess I'll just finish it then go for the better suits.

Gyrian

I absolutely <3 this game.

Then again, I also enjoyed the crap out of Gunvalkyrie.
Both have unconventional controls that suddenly 'click', and it's golden once you're there. Definitely a thrill to play with the Papillon suit with no room for error.

The sterile environments and art style hold up beautifully.
The music kicks all kinds of ass. ;]

fernoca

My favorite song was Mission 8. Plus they using it also in Resident Evil 4 (for Hunk) just confirmed I wasn't the only one that liked it.

More of an experiment than a game. I never liked it and got roasted for it years back. It was an exclusive game on a console that was starving for them. It's no wonder that people liked it. They'd like anything released on the gamecube.

I love P.N.03. The trial maps are really fucking boring and were obviously thrown in as an afterthought, but the gameplay itself makes it bearable.

Also, dat ass.

Tain said:
I understand the appeal, and I enjoyed it for a while, but the whole thing got pretty stale.

I can only handle an hour or two at a time. It's not something I think most people could sit down and play for 3-4 hours.

I'm not sure if I still have a copy of this. I really didn't enjoy it. It sure was pretty though. The Gamecube had a whole lot of very pretty games.

Night_Trekker said:
I can only handle an hour or two at a time. It's not something I think most people could sit down and play for 3-4 hours.

I've only been doing 1 mission at a time then taking a break for a few hours. It's a very taxing game for me, especially since I'm not much of a shmup fan.

G.O.O.

The core mechanic is quite good. The game itself ? Repetitive rooms and corridors. They should make a real game with this, as of now it feels like a demo.

RpgN

I just finished the game...Alrune (or something) was fucking annoying, I almost broke my controller! If you had the ability to save before fighting a boss, then it would have been fine, but once you die, replaying the whole level again and killing that recycled boss before it just makes me go uuuugh! And the suits I had weren't powerful enough, the first three. So on trials, I gathered points to upgrade the 4th suit and it made things better but the boss was still tough. What makes me annoyed is that, with the last boss, you start to notice how clunky the controls can get. The dodge button is not responsive at times and that boss keeps firing rapidly, you press dodge but it won't and then...I would have cursed the game if there was no new game plus, but luckily there is, next time...I'm gonna kill that monster with better suits!

It's still a good game, but it brought all the frustrations in me :p

Finally beat it. Ended up dying like 30 times before I took that thing down. So annoying. Overall, I thought the game was good but there is almost no chance I'll ever play this again. My arms hurt enough as it is.

Just read the requirement for unlocking Papillion. Man Capcom USA should just stop messing with games. If the difficulty doesn't get fucked they'll find someting else to screw up.

Acosta

Vanessa+Papillion= One of my two favorite Shoot'em Up from the past generation (over Ikaruga and even with Gradius V, for me mind you)

Wish any other game tried to develop over the mechanics of P.N.03, they were unique and fantastic. My biggest complain with it is that I expected some kind of relationship between the movements and the music (something like Rez) but it didn't happen, don't remember if it was planned at some point or if i just thought on it, but it would have been a fantastic addition.

cosmicblizzard said:
Finally beat it. Ended up dying like 30 times before I took that thing down. So annoying. Overall, I thought the game was good but there is almost no chance I'll ever play this again. My arms hurt enough as it is.

Were you using a suit that doesn't have automatic firing (power based suits)? I can see how the game would be incredibly frustrating and painful if you stuck with manual firing.

Azure Phoenix said:
Were you using a suit that doesn't have automatic firing (power based suits)? I can see how the game would be incredibly frustrating and painful if you stuck with manual firing.

Yeah I used one of the level 2 suits. I never did the trial missions so I didn't have enough for any higher and I didn't want to spend the time to get it.

fernoca

Yeah, that could be a problem.
Maxed-costumes are a breeze because of auto-fire, plus she shoots really fast and with a new pose while shooting. :p

Anyway, here's the ending..in case anyone missed it...or wants to see it again.

Top Bottom