• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

MaLDo

Speaking of Shift, one fantastic effect was your cockpit getting illuminated from headlights behind. Is that present and correct in pCARS?

Is not correct and they will fix it in a future patch. Now there is no shadow from your car rear part.

Watevaman

Is there gonna be a limit on when you can get refunds? I'm assuming before release?

I'm not sure I'll be playing pCARS in the immediate future, so I'm thinking about doing the refund, but I'm also hesitant if there's money to be made from the returns. I'm only a team member, though, so I think those are reduced.

Agreed. There's layer upon layer of effects in the Shift games. The cars really communicate with you aurally. Shame so many of them didn't communicate physically.

Speaking of Shift, one fantastic effect was your cockpit getting illuminated from headlights behind. Is that present and correct in pCARS?

Shift 2 was a game I really really wanted to love but ultimately hated. It ticked so many boxes with the sound, the experience of racing, the graphics, the track selection, (excusing all the Ken Block nonsense!) etc. etc. but it handled like a wet turd. PCars is the game I wanted.

Megasoum

Banned
Shift 2 was a game I really really wanted to love but ultimately hated. It ticked so many boxes with the sound, the experience of racing, the graphics, the track selection, (excusing all the Ken Block nonsense!) etc. etc. but it handled like a wet turd. PCars is the game I wanted.

Shift 2 with the proper mods and a good wheel setup was actually really really good.

Mascot

I'm hoping pCARS is finally the game that Shift should have been without EA sticking their shit-dipped oar in.

cackhyena

Are you console only? XB1 Controller works on PC through a USB cable.

I have a capable PC, but I'm just not the type to want to game at my desk for long. I like the idea of playing my first racing game in years on the couch. The difference in resolution doesn't bother me. If the frame rate suffers too much, though...

DieH@rd

Banned
Team VVV next video going up in 40 minutes. Running near final PS4 build.

oh_yes_creepy_loki.gif

Shaneus

Why'd you go for a refund so close to release?
A lot of people did to justify getting their money back and spending it on the PS4/XB1 version of the game. I nearly did the same before remembering about the benefits of receiving some of the profits.
A little bit of that (keeping in mind that there's no way my PC could run it anywhere near as well as the PS4 could), a little bit noticing that I got 15 euro back on top of what I backed it for a few years ago but mostly that I really don't have time to play it anymore, so regardless of how much money I might get back, it may not cover the cost of the game (better off getting it on sale when I *do* have time to play it).

ruttyboy

Well that news got leaked: Project CARS 2 confirmed.

Well, that does seem a bit shitty for investors of the first game.

Also, from a gaming perspective I was looking forward to a long term platform that they would continue to develop, giving them a chance to implement stuff like manual pitstops, now I guess it will be the same old minimal patches and "all those features you wanted will be in the next one, honest!" statements for the next 2-3 years...

Lach

At first I was a bit shocked and also thought it's a bit shitty.
But this doesn't mean that they'll cut support for pCars1 after release and fully focus on 2.

It's only natural that a part of the team will start working on part 2 and that's the point where they'll have to start financing at that point.

I have no doubts they'll be providing a lot of improvements and content on pCars after release!

_machine

Well, that does seem a bit shitty for investors of the first game.

Also, from a gaming perspective I was looking forward to a long term platform that they would continue to develop, giving them a chance to implement stuff like manual pitstops, now I guess it will be the same old minimal patches and "all those features you wanted will be in the next one, honest!" statements for the next 2-3 years...
Sure, as someone who put 2K in the original round I would be more than happy to continue, but the reality is what it is and not much SMS can do when it's up to the FSA

Wow, pretty crappy. I understood the devs would take a same kind of approach that Bohemia has with ARMA, with long time support for the game after release.

I don't really know if I want to buy the game anymore.
They are taking that approach. This is development cycle works and this is not news, pCARS2 has been in the back of the mind always as there are limits to what you can do with a single title. They were always building an IP, but pCARS will enjoy plenty of support. Oval racing is coming, plenty of cars will be coming, more tracks will be coming. Don't worry.

At first I was a bit shocked and also thought it's a bit shitty.
But this doesn't mean that they'll cut support for pCars1 after release and fully focus on 2.

It's only natural that a part of the team will start working on part 2 and that's the point where they'll have to start financing at that point.

I have no doubts they'll be providing a lot of improvements and content on pCars after release!
Yeah, this doesn't change anything. pCARS will enjoy plenty of support and this has been planned for years now.

Lach

Not sure about the PR strategy here. Announcing a sequel BEFORE the release of the original game?

Either arrogance or under-confidence, not sure which. They need the original to sell through and have a long tail if they're going to get behind this one . . . .

Very odd. Is this official or just rumour-mill?

It's a post in the forum, only visible to original backers, as a heads up. Wasn't ment to be made public though they should have known it will get out....

Dilly

Banned
Wow, pretty crappy. I understood the devs would take a same kind of approach that Bohemia has with ARMA, with long time support for the game after release.

I don't really know if I want to buy the game anymore.

Who says they won't provide support for pCARS1?

Lach

It's good, though depends what you're looking in the game. There are still a few serious niggles with the AI at the moment.

This.
That being said I had the best AI races ever in Project Cars. On the right car/track combination it's incredibly fun!

phoenixyz

What's with the hate about pCARS 2? You do realize that almost every studio does this, right? Only because Slightly Mad are not that secretive they deserve to be scolded? I really think that most problems people have with pCARS stem from the fact that they simply know too many internals. That's why the big players have a huge wall of NDA and marketing people filtering every bit of information that gets out.

Top Bottom