• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Sintoid

Anyone understood how discount for contributors works? Do I have to preorder/buy PCars on Steam and after may 8th we will recieve a 20% refund? What about buying Key on other shops like humblebundle? Do you recieve same refund?

Lach

I think controls and assists should be addressed. Do we allow pad players (I for example don't have a working wheel at the moment) and do we allows certain assists for players as well as not locking the camera to cockpit?

That's a good point. I'll have a look tonight what kind of settings are available.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think controls and assists should be addressed. Do we allow pad players (I for example don't have a working wheel at the moment) and do we allows certain assists for players as well as not locking the camera to cockpit?
People should be able to use whatever controls/assists they want, if you ask me. I don't use assists, but I don't see why I should have anything against somebody doing so if it helps them be competitive or alive in the race. There's not some massive sim racing community here either, so it should be as inclusionary as possible.

Lach

Anyone understood how discount for contributors works? Do I have to preorder/buy PCars on Steam and after may 8th we will recieve a 20% refund? What about buying Key on other shops like humblebundle? Do you recieve same refund?

This is the official statement
As announced before, Junior Members & Team Members will be receiving a rebate or discount based on their initial commitment. Due to the way Steam handles rebates/ discounts, we will not be able to offer the fixed rebates (10€ for Junior Members, 25€ for Team Members) we originally planned. Instead, members will be receiving a percentage-based rebate (20% off for Junior Members, 50% off for Team Members) based on the Steam retail price in your region. Since Steam prices differ from country to country, the actual amount of the rebate can vary between members.

As they are talking about percentages, I guess this will be handled through steam vouchers and you have to buy the game through steam. It's not really clear though...

Kazdane

Try GSCE or AC for open wheelers. GSCE probably has the best open wheelers in a sim but unfortunately it looks like arse. :(

It's track selection is some what eclectic as well.

AC? You mean Asetto Corsa? Last time I played it it didn't feel like anything special (another game in the "drives like cars over ice" department), did they change anything there substantially? I'll definitely check GSCE :)

Spookie

AC? You mean Asetto Corsa? Last time I played it it didn't feel like anything special (another game in the "drives like cars over ice" department), did they change anything there substantially? I'll definitely check GSCE :)

Yeah Assetto Corsa, their one open wheelers are great when you get the tyres warm. You do have to keep the pedal down though and the downforce will get you through the corners. If you lose your bottle and let off you'll often spin. It's no where as bad as say that shall not be mentioned which subscribes to the harder it is to drive the more realistic it must be.

GSCE though have the greatest representation of open wheelers with Formula Ford (well the Brazilian version), F3, F2, F1 and retro 70's and 90's. Shame they don't have the same selection of European, American and Asian tracks that other sims have.

SarBear

I'll criticize GT5's car list, but not GT6. 6 finally added a lot more variety and kicked up the European cars quite a bit.

But I also agree with others that in a proper sim, you don't need a ton of cars. 1 well done car combined with a great physics model gives you a ton of value. Assetto Corsa has more cars than I will ever have the chance of truly diving into properly and most would say its car list is quite small/limited. I like games with big car lists like GT/Forza quite a bit, but there is something to be said about quality over quantity when it comes to a real sim.

Anyways, looking forward to a Project Cars championship if we can get one going. I'm certainly down. Wouldn't mind a couple weeks to get accustomed to the game(not a backer) first, though. I can do without if necessary, but it'd be nice, not just to learn a car necessarily, but to get a grip on dialling in settings like FFB and FoV and HUD and understanding pit systems and all that fuzz.

So we meet again...

The slower cars I'm still a bit iffy about, but for the rest AC is a pretty good drive, and I'm hopeful but not confident that PC will at least be better or even equal.

Kazdane

Yeah Assetto Corsa, their one open wheelers are great when you get the tyres warm. You do have to keep the pedal down though and the downforce will get you through the corners. If you lose your bottle and let off you'll often spin. It's no where as bad as say that shall not be mentioned which subscribes to the harder it is to drive the more realistic it must be.

GSCE though have the greatest representation of open wheelers with Formula Ford (well the Brazilian version), F3, F2, F1 and retro 70's and 90's. Shame they don't have the same selection of European, American and Asian tracks that other sims have.

Ah right. I need to come back to AC and check that then, I don't remember using the open wheel at any time.

And if by that which shall not be mentioned you mean the same game I'm thinking, yeah, it's terrible. Retro 70's and 90's are great, especially if there are historic tracks as well to go along with them.

The slower cars I'm still a bit iffy about, but for the rest AC is a pretty good drive, and I'm hopeful but not confident that PC will at least be better or even equal.

That's the thing, I'm thinking about it now and I think I only really played around with the slower cars, and my feeling was that the handling was just nothing special.

pCars is quite nice even with slower cars, you know those cars have less grip, but it's also reasonably easy to catch slides and also to predict where you will lose it if you're not careful, I haven't seen that in other games.

I remember one instance with an open wheel in a particular game (probably the one that shall not be mentioned) where even just turning slightly would cause the car to spin wildly unless you released the throttle (which doesn't make any sense).

Spookie

Retro 70's and 90's are great, especially if there are historic tracks as well to go along with them.

That's the thing, I'm thinking about it now and I think I only really played around with the slower cars, and my feeling was that the handling was just nothing special.

pCars is quite nice even with slower cars, you know those cars have less grip, but it's also reasonably easy to catch slides and also to predict where you will lose it if you're not careful, I haven't seen that in other games.

I remember one instance with an open wheel in a particular game (probably the one that shall not be mentioned) where even just turning slightly would cause the car to spin wildly unless you released the throttle (which doesn't make any sense).

Yeah there are a few historic tracks. They aren't my cup of tea but I understand their place in the genre.

I've heard that PCars has trouble with REALLY shitty setups out the box for most of the cars. Now while this might not effect the Clio or the Formula Ford it's probably going to have a huge impact on the prototypes. The FFB is also somewhat muted in comparison to AC, Raceroom or GSCE. Though I didn't exactly tweak the FFB settings out of the box.

If the game can fill my GSCE/Raceroom slot while I wait for AC to improve it's AI I'd be happy. I just want a decent looking, well supported offline racer with a large selection of open wheel, prototypes and touring cars.

Kazdane

Yeah there are a few historic tracks. They aren't my cup of tea but I understand their place in the genre.

I've heard that PCars has trouble with REALLY shitty setups out the box for most of the cars. Now while this might not effect the Clio or the Formula Ford it's probably going to have a huge impact on the prototypes. The FFB is also somewhat muted in comparison to AC, Raceroom or GSCE. Though I didn't exactly tweak the FFB settings out of the box.

If the game can fill my GSCE/Raceroom slot while I wait for AC to improve it's AI I'd be happy. I just want a decent looking, well supported offline racer with a large selection of open wheel, prototypes and touring cars.

The default setups in PCars change pretty much every time there's a new build, as both the devs and the community are working on it. So, there was a time where some setups were fantastic and others were absolutely horrendous.

for instance, for whatever reason, I love the Pagani Zonda R there, as well as all the open wheelers, and there was a time when the Pagani went from a really nice car to drive around to undrivable just because they were messing around with plenty of stuff that affected the car one way or another. Some time later, the car went back to feeling much better again.

So, what I mean is that, there'll probably be some setups that may be too tricky to drive out of the box, but the vast majority should work fine out of the box once you adapt to the particularities of each vehicle.

The Stealth Fox

How has the optimization progressed since last year? Does the gold build run better on PC? Deciding on whether to get this or not.

Will I get 1080p @ 60 fps on Ultra with a GTX 970, i5 4690, and 8 GB DDR3 ram?

markao

Any word on what the 11.9 GB Steam update today is?
Nothing new really, just a lot of data ;)

They changed something in their "build" machine and with that file timestamps changed and Steam read that as new data. Hence the amount and not easy for them to roll back to older build (lot of data again).

Sipheren

Banned
How has the optimization progressed since last year? Does the gold build run better on PC? Deciding on whether to get this or not.

Will I get 1080p @ 60 fps on Ultra with a GTX 970, i5 4690, and 8 GB DDR3 ram?

Prob not, my vids above are everything on high and it sits at 60fps for the most part but does dip.

Going to Ultra requires a pretty decent system.

(Specs: Xeon 1231 - GTX970 - 12GB RAM)

Makki

Who's doing the OT in a couple of weeks? And how about some naming suggestions?

Project CARS |OT| It's the pits, man!
Project CARS |OT| All aspirations catered for
Project CARS |OT| It's what its called - deal with it.

Project CARS |OT| I didn't get paid to market this, I swear!

Azzawon

Project CARS /OT/ We Slightly Made It

Well, we have a winner. Not long now!

I'll be double dipping on this. As a full member I'll be upgraded to the retail version on PC but I'll mainly be playing on XB1 with the limited edition because my PC is having a few issues of late. When Windows 10 hits I'll upgrade my PC and start fresh so I may find time to get back in my simrig and hit the track in pCARS, AC and iRacing!

I'm sure some people are but there are some who are deliberately mis-leading people because they will get a better ROI. :/

In which case that's a poor show and a bit sad to see.

At the end of the day the game is not perfect, there will still be unfound bugs, there will still be bits that may not be to everyone's tastes, there will still be bits that were planned and had to be cut for later and its probably not going to be absolutely locked 60fps on the consoles. By pretending it is perfect these shills will cut off their noses to spite their faces as it will sour impressions of the game.

All I will say is that if you are a fan of motorsport you really should try it (note not necessarily buy it!) because IHMO its an epic game with much more to love than hate.

Azzawon

All I will say is that if you are a fan of motorsport you really should try it (note not necessarily buy it!) because IHMO its an epic game with much more to love than hate.

I agree here. It's been a long time since a racing game has had so much to offer in terms of the sheer amount of disciplines you can race in. It's one of those rare games that actually make you feel like a legit racing driver as well.
Damn, I miss ToCA Race Driver

saladine1

I agree here. It's been a long time since a racing game has had so much to offer in terms of the sheer amount of disciplines you can race in. It's one of those rare games that actually make you feel like a legit racing driver as well.
Damn, I miss ToCA Race Driver

That's what I love about SMS. They know how to capture that authentic motorsport/race-day feel.

In saying that, I would love to see their next game offer up one of their features from SHIFT...Works Conversions. To take a stock production car and turn it into a purpose built race car is just so satisfying.

Could that be something they could do later on or will they stick to just race cars?

Azzawon

That's what I love about SMS. They know how to capture that authentic motorsport/race-day feel.

In saying that, I would love to see their next game offer up one of their features from SHIFT...Works Conversions. To take a stock production car and turn it into a purpose built race car is just so satisfying.

Could that be something they could do later on or will they stick to just race cars?

I would love for it to be possible but I can't see it happening in Project CARS, it's mostly all race-spec stuff apart from the odd manufacturer's licence here and there with a handful of road-spec models. The last time a game really did that right was Gran Turismo 2 IMO. I loved how you could buy a Ford Mondeo from the used car section and turn it into a BTCC-spec racing machine, livery and all.

Whoooah there..! Things to hate?

Well i'm talking in internet overreaction terms here! :)

But everyone has different wants right, so for me i'd scrap the road cars and have more race cars. Does that make me hate it no of course not but the internet is the internet and if I was so inclined I would make a big deal of this!

Spookie

But everyone has different wants right, so for me i'd scrap the road cars and have more race cars.

Ironically I can see the game getting marked down for a lack of road cars. I don't mind track day cars (Atom, Caterham etc) but honestly who gives a toss about your 2013 Ford Focus RS? It handles like a bus full of drunk school children.

The game needs more 90's BTCC cars. ;)

Ironically I can see the game getting marked down for a lack of road cars. I don't mind track day cars (Atom, Caterham etc) but honestly who gives a toss about your 2013 Ford Focus RS? It handles like a bus full of drunk school children.

Exactly!

_machine

I would love that as well (I really like road cars too, they might not be best for racing, but they are great for driving around and having some fun), but I guess it might not really be that close to the core design of the game and it also required quite a bit of development resources (they do have similar feature in World of Speed, though).

Lego Boss

I would love for it to be possible but I can't see it happening in Project CARS, it's mostly all race-spec stuff apart from the odd manufacturer's licence here and there with a handful of road-spec models. The last time a game really did that right was Gran Turismo 2 IMO. I loved how you could buy a Ford Mondeo from the used car section and turn it into a BTCC-spec racing machine, livery and all.

Works conversions? Gotta be a Day 1 patch.

Saw some video of PCars the other day and it's looking fine.

Can I justify the outlay of a wheel to my wife when the decking needs doing?!?!?!?!?

danowat

Banned
but honestly who gives a toss about your 2013 Ford Focus RS? It handles like a bus full of drunk school children.

A lot of grass roots motorsport use cars that handle way, way more like a bus than an RS Focus does!.

Just because it's a race car, doesn't mean it's an all singing, all dancing custom suspension tuned to the n'th degree piece of engineering.

Many brscc series use pretty much standard (apart from safety equipment) cars, and provide top notch racing, I personally would like to see this type of motorsport simulated as well as the big bucks stuff.

saladine1

Give me 80's Group C and Group A touring cars and I'll be in heaven!

AdTAeHi.jpg

Spookie

Give me 80's Group C and Group A touring cars and I'll be in heaven!

These aren't represented enough. We see all the time group 5, 70's and 80's formula cars. But what about the cars we grew up watching?

If they could make a TOCA expansion I'd cream my pants. :(

A lot of grass roots motorsport use cars that handle way, way more like a bus than an RS Focus does!.

Just because it's a race car, doesn't mean it's an all singing, all dancing custom suspension tuned to the n'th degree piece of engineering.

You know I have more fun racing the Clios, Formula Rookie and Ginettas than I do racing the GT3's and F1 cars in racing sims. They provide much more exciting races. So I'm all slower, affordable cars. I just really don't care for pure road cars, Forza and GT already have that covered.

danowat

Banned
You know I have more fun racing the Clios, Formula Rookie and Ginettas than I do racing the GT3's and F1 cars in racing sims. They provide much more exciting races. So I'm all slower, affordable cars. I just really don't care for pure road cars, Forza and GT already have that covered.

Agreed, but a few more road going models (heck many brscc cars are road legal and driven to events!), MX5, Fiesta, Mini, VW Golf etc etc, with racing liveries surely wouldn't go amiss?

Top Bottom