• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

ruttyboy

Personally I think Project CARS is a great name, descriptive, to the point with a slightly futuristic feel to it.

Anything more flamboyant just sounds way too '90's EXTREEEEME!'

Mascot

Now that WMD members (of which many, no doubt, are journalists) effectively have the finished game in their hands, how long before we start seeing PC reviews? Is there any sort of embargo in place?

amar212

Seen a few comments on GAF (and loads elsewhere) stating incredulity that the game will launch with the "Project C.A.R.S." moniker. That name did feel a little clumsy to start with but has grown on me since and I'm quite comfortable with it now, but it's obvious that quite a few people thought it was still (as originally intended, I think) a placeholder, and they were waiting for the 'real' name.

Question then (for a bit of fun): what could Project C.A.R.S. have better been called? What name would sum it up neatly, concisely and accurately? It's not as easy as you think - it's got to be something 'serious' to suit the simulation ecosystem and motorsport bias, but snappy enough to be accessible. Something like 'Slipstream' sounds too arcadey.

Any ideas?

This was my proposal back then.

I had an elaboration about it, but I think it is very logical from the first impression.

Nobody gave an F.

cokpAtr.png

I'm completely fine with the budget that would be required to rebrand the game and recoup the lost mindshare of everyone knowing the Project CARS name used on the actual game and content instead.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm completely fine with the budget that would be required to rebrand the game and recoup the lost mindshare of everyone knowing the Project CARS name used on the actual game and content instead.
Way too late for that, unfortunately. 6 months ago would have been the time to make this sort of change. Not weeks before the game comes out.

Mascot

This was my proposal back then.

I had an elaboration about it, but I think it is very logical from the first impression.

Nobody gave an F.

Mmm... Racepublica is tricky off the tongue in English but I quite like Race Republic. I can totally see the ethos behind it, especially with the way the game was independently funded.

danowat

Banned
Way too late for that, unfortunately. 6 months ago would have been the time to make this sort of change. Not weeks before the game comes out.
Indeed, I wonder how the general game buying public will view the games title?, certainly doesn't scream triple A driving game to me.........

I think in these last four of five posts we've probably just proven why its still called project cars - anything that you try and decide by committee is always going to be tricky because everyone's opinions vary so much!

Kezen

Banned
I don't think the game is meant to be marketed as a AAA game. Better to target specific groups rather than trying to make anyone believe it's a game for them.

People tried to come with a new name on WMD forum some time ago. The name Project CARS was kept for a reason, all other names were terrible. Besides, Project CARS became a known name during the development time, no reason to change it, it would only hurt the game from the marketing point of view, i think.

Staab

So with gold build out on pc......

Anyone interested in setting up a Neogaf League?

Most def !

I like the name project CARS too, it has become well known and is representative of how the product came to be, a project about cars :p

By the way I hope the game runs as well as Assetto Corsa on my new GTX 970 on three screens, as that's definitely a nice thing for racing games. Suddenly the whole thing looks actual car size when you sit there and you can see a turn properly when you take it. The kicker for me was I had these screens already anyway, one was in the process of being phased out (diode starting to fail causing a lengthy startup time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bypZEug-w

Still runs at a solid 60fps too at 50xxx10xx, except when I have 12 cars in front of me, and the advantage is that my old Logitech wheel still works properly (though I had to look up the shortcut combo to set the wheel in 900 degree mode manually) and feels pretty good after dialing down the force feedback to about 60%.

With the PS4 version also not supporting gyro steering (which is great in DriveClub), it will definitely be PC version for me now.

JamboGT

So was looking at the digital edition for PS4 on the Project Cars website, it says it contains the Limited Edition Car Pack and the Modified Car Pack. However looking at the actual pre-order on PSN I see the Modified Pack only. Anyone got any links to the full one?

martynzs

Neo Member
One thing is for sure...Project Cars is hands down a better name than any of the other suggestions I've seen in this thread...

Exactly.

I hope none of the contributors work in marketing...or design judging by the examples posted!

Can wait for this, I bought my XB1 a week before the initial launch (in November was it?) and been waiting since!

Helznicht

By the way I hope the game runs as well as Assetto Corsa on my new GTX 970 on three screens, as that's definitely a nice thing for racing games. Suddenly the whole thing looks actual car size when you sit there and you can see a turn properly when you take it. The kicker for me was I had these screens already anyway, one was in the process of being phased out (diode starting to fail causing a lengthy startup time).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8bypZEug-w

Still runs at a solid 60fps too at 50xxx10xx, except when I have 12 cars in front of me, and the advantage is that my old Logitech wheel still works properly (though I had to look up the shortcut combo to set the wheel in 900 degree mode manually) and feels pretty good after dialing down the force feedback to about 60%.

With the PS4 version also not supporting gyro steering (which is great in DriveClub), it will definitely be PC version for me now.

Great setup Maas, I bet you really get some enjoyment out of that.

BTW, What wheel do you use? I just bought a used Logitech Driving Force GT (waiting for delivery) and had read a few issues about not getting 900 deg support in Win 8.1. What did you have to do to manually set it up?

danowat

Banned
I've asked a couple of times, is there an official car list?.

I've done a bit of googling, and I can only find about 70ish cars, surely the full release has more than this?

Megasoum

Banned
70 sounds about right. They are going for quality rather than volume.

Yeah that sounds about right now. I'm surprised they haven't released an official car list though.

But yeah, it'S easy to find a list online since we've been playing the game for years now.

I have to say that the fact they focused on the track list instead of the car list is the best decision ever.

No grinding and no pokemon.

danowat

Banned
Seem about right?, any omissions?

They've certainly got the racing side of it sewn up, no issue there, I guess that I personally would have liked a few more road going models, but I guess it's personal preference.

Obviously quality over quantity, which isn't a bad thing.

freecar month #1: Lykan Hypersport

125cc Shifter Kart
250cc Super Kart
Formula A
Formula B
Formula C
Formula Rokkie

Alpine A450

Atom 300 Supercharged
Atom 500 V8
Atom Mugen

Aston Martin Rapide S Hydrogene
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3
Aston Martin V8 Vantage GT4

Audi R18 TDI
Audi R8 LMS
Audi V10 plus

BAC Mono

BMW 1-Series M Coupe
BMW 320 Turbo Group 5
BMW M3 E30 Group A
BMW M3 GT
BMW M3 GT4
BMW Z3 GT3

Caper Monterey Stockcar

Caterham SP300R
Caterham Seven Classic
Caterham Superlight R500

Ford Focus RS
Ford MkIV
Ford Mustang Boss 302R1
Ford Mustang Cobra TransAm
Ford Sierra S500 Cosworth Group A
Ford Zakspeed Capri

Formula Gulf 1000

Gumpert Apollo S

Ginetta G40 Junior
Ginetta G55 GT3
Ginetta G55 GT4

Lotus 72D Cosworth
Lotus 78 Cosworth
Lotus 98T Renault Turbo

Marek RP 290D LMP2
Marek RP 338H LMP1

McLaren 12C
McLaren 12C GT3
McLaren F1
McLaren P1

Mercedes Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evolution 2
Mercedes Benz 300SEl 6.8 AMG
Mercedes Benz A45 AMG
Mercedes Benz AMG C Coupe DTM
Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
Mercedes Benz SLS AMG GT3
Mercedes Benz Sauber C9

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution x FQ400

Oreca 03 Nissan

Pagani Huayra
Pagani Zonda Cinque Roadster
Pagani Zonda R

Palmer Jaguar JP-LM

RWD P20 LMP2
RWD P30 LMP1

Radical SR3-RS
Radical SR8-RX

Renault Clio RS Cup
Renault Megane RS

RUF CTR3
RUF CTR3 SMS-R
RUF RGT-8
RUF RGT-8 GT3

Mascot

OK, decision made. I've bought a PS4 and preordered a copy of pCARS. I need a grand's worth of tyres on my car, its insurance, MOT and road tax are also due, so the PC uberbuild can wait until later in the year.

Gotta say, if the Fanatec support wasn't there I'd never have considered the PS4 version. The recent DF analysis filled me with dread until the truth emerged, but VVV Alan's overwhelmingly positive comments (on an old build, too) has me convinced.

Phew!

Addnan

I just want the open wheeled cars, don't overly enjoy road cars for some reason. I can appreciate them in the game, but in terms of fun I just can't have as much fun as I do with my open wheel.

Top Bottom