• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Sintoid

Just down/off the grass and it will run great.

I have a low-midrange setup(2 gtx 470s in sli and 4760k cpu) and I'm getting 60-100fps with everything on ultra except for vegetation. Here's some gameplay screens with the fraps counter.

1080p and SMAA AA:
http://i.imgur.com/3CSvSrF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s7ktzzm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TONii5L.jpg

1080p plus 2X downsampling and MSAA applied:
http://i.imgur.com/vwg9GJC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CVuH5Q8.jpg

I'm really ok with this :D

Shaneus

Even with the locked version your CPU is well above what the PS4's CPU is capable of and your GPU is at least on par with the PS4's if not at least slightly better and lesser GPUs have managed to give the PS4 version of games a run for their money if not actually perform better. Plus the game doesn't support your wheel on PS4 so there's that.
Sure about the wheel support? I know they said G27 will be supported in pCARS, stands to reason the DFGT would be as well.

Just down/off the grass and it will run great.

I have a low-midrange setup(2 gtx 470s in sli and 4760k cpu) and I'm getting 60-100fps with everything on ultra except for vegetation. Here's some gameplay screens with the fraps counter.

1080p and SMAA AA:
http://i.imgur.com/3CSvSrF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s7ktzzm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TONii5L.jpg

1080p plus 2X downsampling and MSAA applied:
http://i.imgur.com/vwg9GJC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/CVuH5Q8.jpg

There's nothing low-midrange about your setup<.<
You have a great cpu and in games with sli support that gpu combo is still really powerful

Shaneus

If you mean on PC, DFGT is already supported.
I meant on PS4.

The lack of Logitech wheel support on the PS4 side is what I was talking about and there doesn't seem to be any support for Logitech wheels, the DFGT is supported on PC. http://www.projectcarsgame.com/beyond-reality.html
I'm sure there was something posted by SMS on their site about supporting the G27 (along with Fanatec) on PS4. Unless I'm confusing myself and the G27 was never mentioned (only the Fanatec).

I can't see that link at work, but I assume it'll probably confirm the latter :/

senahorse

I meant on PS4.

I'm sure there was something posted by SMS on their site about supporting the G27 (along with Fanatec) on PS4. Unless I'm confusing myself and the G27 was never mentioned (only the Fanatec).

I can't see that link at work, but I assume it'll probably confirm the latter :/

Nope, the official list:

wheels_zpsfqoulhfe.png~original

Mascot

flashmouth

Neo Member
Finally, we push the Madness Engine one step further by engaging damage physics on each platform, selecting thunderstorms for weather, and this time allowing multiple car types on the Imola circuit. The hit on PS4 and Xbox One performance is huge; Microsoft's console puts in a result that lingers around the 30fps line, with its lowest read-out at 24fps. Meanwhile, PS4 has a rocky time with an output closer to 40fps (though it still wavers up and down), and a minimum rate of 30fps. We have a clear victor during these stress-tests, and it's fair to say that the PS4 edition does feel smoother in practice, though it's still far from ideal.

Oh boy. What's it all worth if it dips to the 20s on console?
Looking forward to how it performs with physical damage and advanced weather with a smaller field of cars though, personally I don't need 40+ cars on track, although this would have been nice to have. If it hits a locked 60fps on XBO with around 20 cars I'd be more than happy.
I really hoped they could compete with FM, but not like this. Framerate is most important to me when it comes to racers and if they promise 60fps, it should apply to all settings.

p3tran

Banned
Finally, we push the Madness Engine one step further by engaging damage physics on each platform, selecting thunderstorms for weather, and this time allowing multiple car types on the Imola circuit. The hit on PS4 and Xbox One performance is huge; Microsoft's console puts in a result that lingers around the 30fps line, with its lowest read-out at 24fps. Meanwhile, PS4 has a rocky time with an output closer to 40fps (though it still wavers up and down), and a minimum rate of 30fps. We have a clear victor during these stress-tests, and it's fair to say that the PS4 edition does feel smoother in practice, though it's still far from ideal.
Oh boy. What's it all worth if it dips to the 20s on console?
Looking forward to how it performs with physical damage and advanced weather with a smaller field of cars though, personally I don't need 40+ cars on track, although this would have been nice to have. If it hits a locked 60fps on XBO with around 20 cars I'd be more than happy.
I really hoped they could compete with FM, but not like this. Framerate is most important to me when it comes to racers and if they promise 60fps, it should apply to all settings.

the fuck? "we have a clear victor" when it fluctuates like hell on both consoles.
DF is missing the point here I think... unless the point is to simply fuel console wars

Darkdeus

It was an old unoptimized build that never should have been analyzed or reviewed.

"UPDATE: It's come to our attention that the build of Project Cars used as the basis for this article was not intended by the developer Slightly Mad Studios for technical analysis. We weren't aware of this, which was the unfortunate result of some miscommunication on our part with the game's publisher. It was an honest mistake and it is not our intention to misrepresent the game, so we've unpublished the videos that form the basis of the article.

We'll be able to bring you a full analysis of a more advanced build of the game in the coming weeks.

We'd like to apologise to our readers and to Slightly Mad Studios this"

Anyone able to say how the handling/physics model is? I really didn't like NFS Shift's physics.

For reference, I love the physics/handling in GT5/6, Forza Horizon and Project Gotham 3/4. DriveClubs really enjoyable for what it is too.

I'm looking forward to a decent sim racer but without a great feeling driving model, it's all for naught.

Darkdeus

Anyone able to say how the handling/physics model is? I really didn't like NFS Shift's physics.

For reference, I love the physics/handling in GT5/6, Forza Horizon and Project Gotham 3/4. DriveClubs really enjoyable for what it is too.

I'm looking forward to a decent sim racer but without a great feeling driving model, it's all for naught.

It's nothing like the NFS shift games. It's more SIM than forza/gt with all assists off but with them on should be similar. The ffb feels really good now.

The shift games suffered from laggy input, terrible ffb, and simcady physics. Project Cars is a massive change and improvement in every way.

Megasoum

Banned
Yep, it's the final build.

Actually Andy just said on the forums that it was a bug for the build to be this big. It actually has very little change with yesterday's build. They're too busy to fix it tho so you can download it if you want but it's not the final build.

fresquito

Ooof. 12GB update today. Is this the last one or something?
It's the final one, but there's been a problem with the build, that's why the big size. It will be fixed next week, aparently.

Besides, there's important info related to Juniors and Team Members. From now until releasse, the date is yet unknown, eventually the game will disappear from their library forever. Apparently, discounts can't be applied to already registered keys.

Full Members and above will get a patch on release that will make their build become a release build. So, no redownloading needed.

Solal

Can anyone tell me how the Force feedback feels in Pcars please ? I absolutly adore the FFB in Assetto Corsa and I hope every game takes the same approach to FFB from now on...especially the vibrations when you brake (can't even play another car game after you try this!)

So...how does Pcvars stand on this?

Also, planning to play on PS4...would there be any technical reason why the FFB would be different on PS4 than PC? (on a T500)...Do we know if they will use the same protocole?

Megasoum

Banned
Can anyone tell me how the Force feedback feels in Pcars please ? I absolutly adore the FFB in Assetto Corsa and I hope every game takes the same approach to FFB from now on...especially the vibrations when you brake (can't even play another car game after you try this!)

So...how does Pcvars stand on this?

Also, planning to play on PS4...would there be any technical reason why the FFB would be different on PS4 than PC? (on a T500)...Do we know if they will use the same protocole?

AFAIK the FFB should be the same on consoles.

Personally I think it's one of the best FFB available right now. AC is great but I really prefer pCARS over it. Cars like the Clio or the Formula Rookie are so fucking incredibly fun to drive.

Solal

Tx for you answer Megasoum. Could you please elaborate on the FFB feel ? Is it simulating the wheels blocking and slipping like AC? Or would you say it's a different philosophy?

Really curious about this as I found out that GT6 (that was my benchmark and felt fantastic to me) is just ridiculously bland now that I've tried AC... Such a different league.

It's nothing like the NFS shift games. It's more SIM than forza/gt with all assists off but with them on should be similar. The ffb feels really good now.

The shift games suffered from laggy input, terrible ffb, and simcady physics. Project Cars is a massive change and improvement in every way.

Thanks, man.

Megasoum

Banned
Tx for you answer Megasoum. Could you please elaborate on the FFB feel ? Is it simulating the wheels blocking and slipping like AC? Or would you say it's a different philosophy?

Really curious about this as I found out that GT6 (that was my benchmark and felt fantastic to me) is just ridiculously bland now that I've tried AC... Such a different league.

I'm not really the best person to explain the FFB feelings in games (I'm actually terrible at that lol). Somebody could probably back me up on that with more details.

Anyway, You can really feel the road and bumps and you can definitly tell the difference between a FWD, AWD and RWD. Honestly I mostly play with ABS so not sure about wheel locking but I assume it's there too.

The thing that's making me sit on the fence over this (PS4 version) is the *feel* of the cars, if they have weight to them. Only have driveclub on ps4 to reference to, so anyone shed any light?

Also, after watching some ps4 videos on yt, the interior view just seems more fluid compared to external, weird I know but seems to look like it handles better.

Well, i don't have money to buy a new wheel or to buy a better PC, so think i decided how i will solve my problem.

I'll probably buy Pcars on PS4 for the carrer, online, huge grids and all and i'll buy on steam to do my serious racing (hotlapping and rankings) with my G25 on PC.

The only question i'll have is if i can run Pcars with one car on the track just fine on my PC. I can run Assetto Corsa just barely acceptable... so does it means i can run Pcars at 60fps with all effects off just for hotlapping?

For reference my notebook has a GTX560m with 2gb of ram, 8gb of ram in the system and i7 2670QM 2.2ghz.

Do you guys think it's a good solution? I really can't afford a wheel or a PC right now, but i can double dip since games on steam in Brazil are kind of cheap.

danowat

Banned
Just watching some videos on youtube from various tracks, I noticed there is a kart track, Chesterfield, is it possible to run cars on here?, or are you just restricted to karts?

Megasoum

Banned
Does anybody know howw to reset Achievements?

It's normally not possible for the end user to reset achievements. The dev would have to put it in an option in the game to do it. It's totally possible (I do it everyday at work) but SMS would have to do it so... yeah....

fresquito

It's normally not possible for the end user to reset achievements. The dev would have to put it in an option in the game to do it. It's totally possible (I do it everyday at work) but SMS would have to do it so... yeah....
There's supposed to be a way for us, I just can't remember how.

AU Tiger

Got it:

Start game with -gold command -> F1 -> Online WMD Testing -> Reset all Achievements

Kinda off topic but in the dev F1 menu, you know how there are lighting tweaks you can make and stuff? is there a way to make those changes stay after you close the game?

fresquito

Kinda off topic but in the dev F1 menu, you know how there are lighting tweaks you can make and stuff? is there a way to make those changes stay after you close the game?
No. You can do so using tweakit to create tweaked files. Those will not work in the final game, though.

Blizzard

Banned
It's really nice to see that even unedited shots look good. It's been a long and interesting road to release for the game, even though I didn't always follow the internal details.

In fact, I was so lazy I never took advantage of any of my manager rewards. :p I'm guessing my name is in the game as a driver, but I didn't submit any billboard, livery, etc. when they were collecting them.

Blizzard

Banned
What is the meaning of the "WMD 2015" license plate on all of the cars? Just curious..
Weapons of Mass Destruction 2015.

I mean, that's the sort of awkward association, but I suppose as time goes by people forget about that meaning. :p It stands for World of Mass Development, which if I understand correctly is the crowdfunding website/system that Slightly Mad Studios used.

Mascot

Blizzard said:
In fact, I was so lazy I never took advantage of any of my manager rewards. :p I'm guessing my name is in the game as a driver, but I didn't submit any billboard, livery, etc. when they were collecting them.
Oh man, I'd have been a&#314;l over that like a rash...

Top Bottom