• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 18 is out very soon and there are few gameplay videos... Is that troubling?

So, today is August 5th. Madden 18 is set to release in 20 days on the 25th. Most years, we have plenty of gameplay videos to check out well prior to release. And most years, that's not that much of a big deal, as other than some graphical changes (always neat to see), there's not that much to look at unless there are some big new features. However, this year is significant, as they are shifting away from EA Sports Ignite (their old sports engine) to Frostbite (FIFA has already made the jump). I'm really curious to see how it looks with the shiny new engine, but with the game just less than three weeks out, I'm wonder if it's troubling that EA hasn't provided plenty of gameplay videos.

This thread again...?

I had no idea that Madden fans were so concerned about seeing extensive gameplay before launch.

Any past exemples were a specific Madden game ended up sucking because of that?

This thread again...?

I had no idea that Madden fans were so concerned about seeing extensive gameplay before launch.

I've skipped Madden the last couple of years and the use of Frostbite made me interested. I really love what the engine is capable of. But if it doesn't actually improve on all that much, I may pass on it.

Nahhh they are completely competent developers....

MaddenGlitch.gif

Ashtar

I've skipped Madden the last couple of years and the use of Frostbite made me interested. I really love what the engine is capable of. But if it doesn't actually improve on all that much, I may pass on it.
Have they shown anything on it? I just realized I only saw the stupid story mode and the Tom Brady cover seems kind of weird, didn't they already start the marketing blitz by this time last year?

They're just taking a page out of NBA 2K's book which has been on fire the last several years sales wise, so I'm sure they're trying to copy that.

On the surface it seems bad that they would be hiding the game after improving the visuals with frostbite but the dev blogs outlining the gameplay improvements look promising.

I remember EA did this same "no gameplay videos" before launch with Madden 25 and that game turned out fine despite being the first one on this gen's consoles.

Have they shown anything on it? I just realized I only saw the stupid story mode and the Tom Brady cover seems kind of weird, didn't they already start the marketing blitz by this time last year?
Nothing.. apparently something this coming week. Still thats a week before launch. People cant even point out to developers glaring issues with the game.

Wedzi

Banned
I have high hopes for this year's Madden. Really hoping they can come through. Are there any gaming outlets talking about the lack of access? Or can we assume they all have copies and are under embargo?

On the surface it seems bad that they would be hiding the game after improving the visuals with frostbite but the dev blogs outlining the gameplay improvements look promising.

I remember EA did this same "no gameplay videos" before launch with Madden 25 and that game turned out fine despite being the first one on this gen's consoles.

That game was a flaming pile of dogshit.

theWB27

Pretty much, EA never change. They are fine with NBA 2k and MLB the Show annihilating them in quality every year, and fuck them for it. They won't even make good use of frostbite.

You talking about the Show that ships with a nigh unplayable online every single year? Madden 17 was fine last year.

Why show anything when likely nothing major will change? EA knows people are going to buy Madden in droves like they do every year. The most you'll get is some NFL players making wacky Madden commercials.

conpfreak

I stopped buying Madden back in 06. EA can't get my money if they can't bother to put any effort into their games. The last few non-sports projects I've cared about they've had supervision over have also disappointed (SSX, Mass Effect, etc). EA hiding gameplay footage is something they do every year for Madden because they know they never hit their target renders.

I don't think Frostbite will make a significant difference in the visuals. Models will still look weird, stadium and crowds will still look blurry and low poly, animations will still be bad, and presentation will still pale in comparison to NFL 2K5

Pretty much, EA never change. They are fine with NBA 2k and MLB the Show annihilating them in quality every year, and fuck them for it. They won't even make good use of frostbite.
Yeah Madden just feels like it's fallen behind the rest of the Sports titles.

newsguy

Don't get too hyped about frostbite. Fifa switched this year and it feels identical to last year's version without frostbite.

I stopped buying Madden back in 06. EA can't get my money if they can't bother to put any effort into their games. The last few non-sports projects I've cared about they've had supervision over have also disappointed (SSX, Mass Effect, etc). EA hiding gameplay footage is something they do every year for Madden because they know they never hit their target renders.

I don't think Frostbite will make a significant difference in the visuals. Models will still look weird, stadium and crowds will still look blurry and low poly, animations will still be bad, and presentation will still pale in comparison to NFL 2K5

But EA did create the most robust online league/franchise mode in the history of console gaming so they have put effort into online (unlike 2k and mlb).

Presentation has improved but still crappy. Gameplay is passable but I wouldn't touch Madden if online franchise mode didn't exist.

PS

With regards to OP, there are gameplay vids from E3 on YouTube. Looks like Madden!

Jagsrock

Banned
It is annoying but to be fair they have posted some blogs that honestly sound pretty good.
They go pretty in depth too.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2017/blockinghttps://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2017/blocking
Some welcome editions to the Blocking game
-They are making awareness especially on the line more important
-being able to ID the Mike is a cool touch
-Tuning improvements Block sheding,RB pass blocking, and down field blocking

Targeting Passing!
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/2017/target-passing

They've also brought back coaching adjustments from NCAA
Supposedly improved WR/DB interaction as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PggyBaVRm_c

It's not a lot to go by but im actually kinda optimistic.

The state of all sports games is completely depressing since competition has basically evaporated for every sport. The variety of titles have gone away and the ones that remain have doubled and tripled their focus on slot machine modes.

Madness

Why show anything when likely nothing major will change? EA knows people are going to buy Madden in droves like they do every year. The most you'll get is some NFL players making wacky Madden commercials.

They know they have the rights locked up and with the death of NCAA football games, they know any NFL/football fans are screwed with either buying what they're selling or not. It is why they have been half-assing the NHL series for years ever since 2K dropped hockey. They didn't have a next gen NHL until NHL 15 which was a barebones piece of crap. They still haven't implemented Frostbite into it.

Not having gameplay videos when it launches in less than 3 weeks says it all. EA Sports Tiburon probably has barely been able to get this game ready to go. And yet it'll still sell like hotcakes. Nothing will change as long as they keep selling a lot and with no other competition.

Typical EA Sports recycling their game AGAIN.

Monopolizing that NFL License makes it easy to do.

Common misconception. The NFL was the one that decided they only wanted to work with one company. EA simply outbid 2K.

Also, bit of trivia: Madden 18 has been in development for several years.

TaterTots

Banned
Serious question; What has drastically changed from say Madden '10 to now? I feel like there isn't a lot of wiggle room with sports games besides updating graphics and rosters. Which, honestly rosters could be updated via updates. Yearly sport games make no sense to me. Every few years makes sense. At least then there may be a difference graphically that stands out.

Serious question; What has drastically changed from say Madden '10 to now? I feel like there isn't a lot of wiggle room with sports games besides updating graphics and rosters. Which, honestly rosters could be updated via updates. Yearly sport games make no sense to me. Every few years makes sense. At least then there may be a difference graphically that stands out.

I don't really pay close attention to it, but they mix up the gameplay a bit each year to keep things fresh. The animation quality has gone up. They recently hired in-house announcers, so the commentary is better now, and more nuanced. Madden 18 has this story mode thing.

They've also added Madden Ultimate Team, which is big. Draft Champions, too, which is like Arena from Hearthstone. Except with NFL players.

Top Bottom