• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 18 is out very soon and there are few gameplay videos... Is that troubling?

chadskin

Oh sure. But you cant fall on a fumble right the fuck in front of you?

camfumble2.0.gif

K-Gun

For MUT players, how do you go about building your team? Do you buy packs, run solos, or focus primarily on the auction house? Do you spend more time creating your team or playing with your team?

Revas

It is strange, the usual Madden media blitz should be starting about now right? It's easy to pin the lack of videos on the engine switch but I think it's possible EA believes that the product is so strong it will sell well regardless. The focus on story mode probably means less changes to career mode and thus likely an EA access play for me.

Also the idea that"videogame enthusiasts" don't care for Madden is ridiculous.

It is strange, the usual Madden media blitz should be starting about now right? It's easy to pin the lack of videos on the engine switch but I think it's possible EA believes that the product is so strong it will sell well regardless. The focus on story mode probably means less changes to career mode and thus likely an EA access play for me.

The game not even on switch

For MUT players, how do you go about building your team? Do you buy packs, run solos, or focus primarily on the auction house? Do you spend more time creating your team or playing with your team?
I do more solo grinding because the pack odds are trash! I might buy pack this year if the odds are good.

Peltz

Nahhh they are completely competent developers....

MaddenGlitch.gif

That's just Cam hitting a dab.

Oh sure. But you cant fall on a fumble right the fuck in front of you?

To be fair, that pretty much captured 2016 Cam.

To be fair Cam would dab like that

Cam dabbing instead of jumping on a fumble, seems accurate enough.

I don't know. Seems like something Cam would actually do???

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I will never buy another NFL game until the license no longer exclusive, being force to choose from one publisher is BS...having options is always better....NFL and EA said fuck the consumer, and since that day i said fuck them too, i haven't played a NFL game since NFL2K5....

I agree, the lack of footage is disappointing. I've seen the blog articles saying all the right things about gameplay, and I'm hoping the change to Frostbite makes the game look and play even better.

Madden 17 was pretty good in my opinion and it kept my interest longer than they have in the past, but potential gameplay issues and bugs introduced by the new engine make me wary.

Rflagg

I'm still waiting on NCAA Football '15 news.

Any day now...

I miss it every fall. :/

I always preferred ncaa to any pro football game because I can enjoy playing teams I have zero rooting interest in, but with madden I just can not enjoy anybody except the Seahawks.

The game comes out next week on EA access. I have it and will download it. If they dont share anything I'll end up posting gameplay videos but this is bs

That's beside the point though, I currently have EA access (really enjoying it) but it's the whole principal. This is the first time in a while that they've been so quiet about it. It's almost like their not confident in it.

I will never buy another NFL game until the license no longer exclusive, being force to choose from one publisher is BS...having options is always better....NFL and EA said fuck the consumer, and since that day i said fuck them too, i haven't played a NFL game since NFL2K5....
I don't get this and never will. If the game is good, and it is, why does it matter?

Meier

I mean, lets be honest -- if you like the series, you're going to get the game. I'll buy FIFA every year it comes out. Inevitably there will be issues that remain which drive me fucking bonkers, but the core game is going to remain the same with some tweaks here and there. I wouldn't expect a major overhaul, so it's just lip service at best showing off videos early.

That's beside the point though, I currently have EA access (really enjoying it) but it's the whole principal. This is the first time in a while that they've been so quiet about it. It's almost like their not confident in it.

Oh I 'm agreeing with you. I'm really not understanding the logic behind this plan. The blogs say, "We got rid of legacy issues." Well... can I see that you did? shit

As someone who doesnt care about sports, i was actually wondering this a couple days ago and seeked out some gameplay, and all i found was off screen stuff. I was so confused. I like football, and have EA access, so that was my jumping off point i guess. Im more curious than invested in this years Madden because of it switching engines from Ignite? to Frostbite.

EA also didn't show much of Andromeda leading up to its launch and people were so confused as to why. But the difference is that Mass Effect is more about its content rather than its mechanics. Madden is the opposite. So if they weren't able to get the framerate up in time for launch and now they are afraid to show it, than that is a huge knock for a franchise that has been pretty smooth in terms of its frame rate.

Im with you op.

Haven't bought a Madden since Vick was on the cover. I loved the NCAA series though. It is concerning that their have been much news lately.

crpav

Been a long time Madden buyer and yeah going to buy it again this year but I see a terrible trend with sports franchises that used to be THE game to play. Look at MLB: THe Show. Still a great game but it's easy to see that the game play takes a back seat to the money making Diamond Dynasty and online play. There are plenty of people that care about franchise still. At least they do a better job with that then EA does with Madden. Which leads me to Madden. Used to be amazingly fun to play a franchise. Then came online then Ultimate Team and the rest is history.

Luschient

Yep, looks like Madden. Was really hoping for a visual boost this year with the new engine. Bought '17 when it went on sale for $20 a few months back and will probably just stick with it.

jmizzal

Why do they keep using "EA Sports" as the presentation. They have FOX, CBS, NBC, MNF all at their disposal and they use EA.

Funny thing is NBA Live has ESPN presentation all over it, no idea why Madden doesnt have any, they have the money to get all of them too but EA is prob too cheap for that.

Funny thing is NBA Live has ESPN presentation all over it, no idea why Madden doesnt have any, they have the money to get all of them too but EA is prob too cheap for that.

NHLs presentation is fantastic as well I just can't understand how their marquee game is always the worst

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I wish they'd port the series to PC

They do it with FIFA, but no other sports license

Animations seem better in some cases, or faster anyhow.

Run blocking looks better but neither of these cheesers ran much so hard to say.

Still a lot of the same over the top defensive jank from last year.

That snow is pretty shameful.

Soroc

Man I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of the first youtube link. The menus definitely seem snappier but I can't stand the 1 sec freeze frame before they cut to the next scene during the presentation and fluff stuff (I like to watch this stuff). Then seeing how running ability isn't impacted by snow conditions and how they still just have the worst physics, I think I'll pass this year. The IQ is really nice and sharp and its obvious they spent some time in this area but I can't really justify a full price purchase of the game this season.

I wish they'd port the series to PC

They do it with FIFA, but no other sports license

This too! I'm really sick of them not giving the PC audience the major sports franchises outside of Fifa. Its complete BS, has anyone actually ever asked them why there isn't an PC versions, I'd like to know their excuse on this one.

Socivol

Is this considered a good looking sports game? I don't play them but I just wanted to watch the video and compared to other games the visuals look a bit basic to me.

How often do you see Madden being talked about on enthusiast boards like this?

Any time I see someone say 2k5 is good I wonder if they played the same 2k5 I did.

The irony is that most of the people who worked on the 2k football series ended up at EA.

Yep, except 2k5 is still better than any Madden. EA has been making the same fucking game for almost 15 years and people still buy it every year.

2k5 wasn't even better than madden 2005

Any time I see someone say 2k5 is good I wonder if they played the same 2k5 I did.

The irony is that most of the people who worked on the 2k football series ended up at EA.

It wasn't a bad game but it's greatness is hilariously overstated

Thanks for the youtube links, jonscrambler.

The snowy weather not affecting animations/physics is pretty obvious in the first link, but the ball physics, tackling physics and animations in general look more realistic and improved to me, in ways that will make gameplay better.

I saw some good looking tackles, broken tackles, and even a blocked field goal returned for TD.

Top Bottom