• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden 18 is out very soon and there are few gameplay videos... Is that troubling?

How often do you see Madden being talked about on enthusiast boards like this?

it's not like people on gaf don't care, but gaf is a general video games discussion forum, people that want to talk about Madden there's muthead, operation sports, mut reddit that's way more active.

Stiler

I've never understood what this video is supposed to prove. Madden looks astronomically better than 2K5 here.

Umm, 2k5 bests Madden on about every front, at least if you want more of a realistic football sim.

From it's physics/momentum, animation speed (Madden animations are stupidly fast compared to real life), presentation, etc.

K-Gun

Safety AI seems to be dog shit, low MUT ratings not helping either.

Edit DB AI looks rough because of the target passing.

Umm, 2k5 bests Madden on about every front, at least if you want more of a realistic football sim.

From it's physics/momentum, animation speed (Madden animations are stupidly fast compared to real life), presentation, etc.

Madden is ok gameplay wise, I wouldn't call it anywhere close to real football... Nor is 2k5. On a basic level, I want a sports game to present me with their gameplay system and be consistent within the confines of that system. Madden has endless stupid shit but I enjoy it as a competitive videogame. I know the "chess" game, what will work against something and the cat and mouse against my human opponent is what keeps me coming back, as unrealistic as it is to real football most of the time.

With 2k5, there was too much deviation from the gameplay systems. Is my CB who is in position going to go into a matrix animation and I get fucked? Is that ball going to hit off the back of my wrs hands because the animation the game chose not going to gel with the football trajectory? Am I going to get stuck in a great looking animation, unable to make a play until the animation finishes?

That is to speak nothing of online interface. Nba2k is an absolute joke online. Online leagues don't work, they attempted online franchise which was hilariously incompetent. As someone who only cares about playing human opponent, 2k as a company is worthless and if nba is any indication, an NFL 2k18 wouldn't be worth purchasing.

Been following the development cycle this year and I've been pretty negative at Operation Sports, but the media blitz finally turned up this week.

SOme of the still shots with the new Frostbite engine look really, really good. Videos finally started pouring out and most look good. Gameplay is still Madden of course, but does look improved.

I was pretty impressed with this Larry Fitz screenshot:

XfstktS.png

This is, of course, a screenshot OF a screenshot FROM a YouTube video. Pretty sure TeyTheGod, or whatveer his name is, ripped this from another person's video, and I'm screenshotting this from a Twitter post.

The lighting has really been improved when moving to Frostbite, although you do get some hard Battlefield bloom on the intro videos especially in the afternoon games (6PM ones). Also had some hard bloom off of helmets and so on, but for the most part, the lighting looks good. Stadium recaptures also look really strong.

do any of these youtubers show the story stuff? That's what I'm interested in seeing.

Basically the only thing EA has talked about is the story stuff for the last 2 months.
I think most people who play CFM mode are annoyed by it, so the reaction has been pretty negative.

I'm not into the story stuff, so my hot takes are:
- Really cheesy sports story mode
- It's going to be short
- You dont' actually play in the NFL (this is actually true)

Longshot seems like a vehicle to feed MUT from my point of view. That they can release a new "season" of Longshot every year and call it a new game without making many improvements to CFM, and then peddle coins for MUT.

Saganator

Omg was the commentary this bad last year? I don't know who these guys are, but the play by play guy is super annoying.

They better fix the running game, fumbling, and dropped passes. Shit was absurd last year.

They've introduced 3 play styles now, SImulation, Arcade, and Competitive.

In Arcade, you see fewer of those strip drops, fewer fumbles, more offense-oriented, action oriented plays, accurate passes that result in receptions, and fewer amazing interceptions. QBs can throw on the run easily, scramble easily, fewer QB fumbles, fewer RB fumbles, etc.

In simulation, it's closer to last year's game but plays more sim-style, instead of the strip drops (which are always really common in Madden), QBs are just less accurate. Accuracy was a problem last year (as it is most years), so a user may go 85% accuracy for the season, and almost all of their incompletions are either drops or interceptions, and so without those drops you'd see something close to 90%+ accuracy (which good players would achieve).

Competitve raises the stakes and is more about user skill, as sort of a branch to Arcade but with more risk and reward based on user actions.

So far from the videos and from feedback, these sound like good changes that help bridge that. As a sim-style player, I would want the drops over the 90+% accuracy, only because it'd help reign in the super human accuracy every QB had, while casual players (who even playa lot, or might play a lot online) would get frustrated by drops or a more realistically inaccurate QB.

Looking forward to seeing how they play out, although not looking forward to the slider arguments this will introduce either...

Omg was the commentary this bad last year? I don't know who these guys are, but the play by play guy is super annoying.

Commentary is waaaay better in Madden lately. IT's a million times better than it was 2 years ago, the new studio guys they have are way better because they're inexpensive and they put in a ton more commentary. Also the live updates throughout the year were a huge addition to the game, and in M'18 they're finally adding it to franchise (Something they left out intentionally last year).

Madden still just animates so...oddly.

Overall I would say it has been the better package compared to 2k5 for a while now, but it still doesn't animate in gameplay as well as 2k5 did. It's very odd. I don't know what it is exactly, but Madden is janky, stiff, blends and transitions between animations awkwardly making it feel disjointed. I'd say it really acquired that feel when it jumped to the PS3/360 era. It sort of animated a bit oddly in the PS2 era as well, but moving to last gen was when it started to be feel really antiquated despite looking fantastic when not moving. I'd compare it most to the effect of prettied up Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Bethesda's wheezing old versiom of Gamebryo.

Unless he only has a PS4 where Sony won't allow EA Access.

I have EA access on Xbox. Thing is and everyone on operation sports too is seeing it. EA waited to show us gameplay.. of course I will buy and still play the game but they havent shown us anything and now we are not able to point these issues out to devs before the release.

Granted EA does release patches and tuning updates for madden but they should have let us see this stuff to mitigate complaints and issues before launch.

theWB27

Madden still just animates so...oddly.

Overall I would say it has been the better package compared to 2k5 for a while now, but it still doesn't animate in gameplay as well as 2k5 did. It's very odd. I don't know what it is exactly, but Madden is janky, stiff, blends and transitions between animations awkwardly making it feel disjointed. I'd say it really acquired that feel when it jumped to the PS3/360 era. It sort of animated a bit oddly in the PS2 era as well, but moving to last gen was when it started to be feel really antiquated despite looking fantastic when not moving. I'd compare it most to the effect of prettied up Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Bethesda's wheezing old versiom of Gamebryo.

EA relies a lot less on canned animations than 2k.

EA relies a lot less on canned animations than 2k.

Very true, but the way 2k played gave me a greater sense of control and satisfaction.

For the record, I am not a 2k fanboy, in fact I preferred Madden 05 that year. I just feel like despite less user control it didn't feel as apparent as it was and to me felt and looked better than Madden in motion, and still does to a degree.

I think overall Madden doesn't animate nearly as well as I'd hoped it would over a decade on from that era.

theWB27

Very true, but the way 2k played gave me a greater sense of control and satisfaction.

For the record, I am not a 2k fanboy, in fact I preferred Madden 05 that year. I just feel like despite less user control it didn't feel as apparent as it was and to me felt and looked better than Madden in motion, and still does to a degree.

I think overall Madden doesn't animate nearly as well as I'd hoped it would over a decade on from that era.

Oh yea...overall 2k is better at animation. Id reckon if they were able to continue 2k football all this time we'd be seeing signature all over the place.

I don't think anyone who buys Madden actually needs to see it to buy it. People just keep getting it every year. I for one stopped playing madden like 15 years ago.

You aren't kidding, yikes. It looks okay enough when the camera is right down next to the field after a play but during a play? Nope.

Saw this on twitter, apparently they also forgot to give certain people jackets when it snows. Frostbite engine indeed (sorry). Insignificant, but another funny little thing Tiburon overlooks.

DG0TQ58VYAAtCav.jpg:large

Hell, All Pro Football is a better playing game than Madden is today. If 2K's basketball team could make a football game in 2017, my lord...the beauty of it. Physics and momentum would be respected more often than not. Presentation in those games is still a bit better than Madden as well.

Madden sells because it has the name and having a star on the cover matters.

Hell, All Pro Football is a better playing game than Madden is today. If 2K's basketball team could make a football game in 2017, my lord...the beauty of it. Physics and momentum would be respected more often than not. Presentation in those games is still a bit better than Madden as well.

Madden sells because it has the name and having a star on the cover matters.

Apf was a high res 2k5. If NFL 2k existed today you'd see what you see with nba: a game driven by great animations at the sacrifice of control, broken or non existent online franchise and vc, vc, vc!

newsguy

I told you guys. Frostbite for FIFA made zero difference, and these gameplay vids look identical to 17. Animation is the same ole shit.

F34R

You aren't kidding, yikes. It looks okay enough when the camera is right down next to the field after a play but during a play? Nope.

Only the players feet can have an effect on the snow lol. Sometimes watching a player run, their footprint is a second late lol. Meh...

What if some people legitimately get enjoyment out of the games? Are we sheep?

don't need to respond to these drive by trolls, if you play Madden every year, unless you're a very casual player, you know there's big difference every year in zone/man coverage, blocking, running, what plays/adjustments are good , what moves are good

don't need to respond to these drive by trolls, if you play Madden every year, unless you're a very casual player, you know there's big difference every year in zone/man coverage, blocking, running, what plays/adjustments are good , what moves are good

Yip

People are real mad the nfl consolidated their product and picked EA over 2k.

It hurt both products, no one would disagree. Doesn't make Madden crap.

Vandiger

What if some people legitimately get enjoyment out of the games? Are we sheep?

Buying what looks like the same game year after year? Yeah. Competition generates innovation simple as that, unfortunately there are not many viable options since making a football game without NFL branding is not worth it.

Purexed

Banned
Must say I'm a bit disappointed that the visual fidelity didn't increase with the move to Frostbite. Viewing from my 10" iPad, the game doesn't look like it's received much of a visual facelift. :-/

I'm in this year though, the idea that the vision cone has been reborn in a way has me very intrigued.

Buying what looks like the same game year after year? Yeah. Competition generates innovation simple as that, unfortunately there are not many viable options since making a football game without NFL branding is not worth it.

LOOKS like, to someone who doesn't play it every year. As I said earlier, little gameplay changes can have a big effect to hardcore players. If you want to pop in for a game or two to play the CPU or stomp your bros before a night of drinking you need not buy Madden but once every few years.

Top Bottom