• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Valve making SOB, open world space game, concept art leaks [Update: Post 117]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Basically my two favorite things (space sims and Valve) together. Delicious.

Looks cool, but can Valve put some resources into Half Life 3? That'd be nice.

If they canceled HL3 to make this, I wouldn't even blink.

Interfectum

Not sure why everyone is so knee jerk with their "if it's MMO no buy" bullshit. If it is indeed an 'MMO' I highly doubt it'll be like anything we've seen or grown tired of.

DieH@rd

Banned
There were some rumors that Valve was making open world game... this could be it.

I like it, hopefully it will not have subscription.

No credible source, nothing to see here folks. The images prove nothing; we've actually seen them months ago.

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38008766&viewfull=1#post38008766

It seems that some people skipped this part, this is likely bullshit of the highest order.

Not sure why everyone is so knee jerk with their "if it's MMO no buy" bullshit. If it is indeed an 'MMO' I highly doubt it'll be like anything we've seen or grown tired of.

Remember when people believed this about KOTOR 3 The Old Republic? Good times.

Deadstar

I can only speak for myself but I am not interested in any MMO no matter how good it is unless it's free to play. I won't pay a monthly subscription for one game, period.

Related to Spirit Breaker?

Related to "the community trolling the community".

The news come from 4chan's /v/. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38003436&viewfull=1#post38003436
The images are 7 months old. Not a single one of them is new. Many of them may not even be from this game/project as they are simply copy-pasted from an ex-Valve employee's portfolio. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43127146&postcount=91

Nothing to see here.

(edit: It's like copy-pasting the 5 year old HL2:EP3 concept arts as proof, writing that "an insider source told me HL2:EP3 has time travel elements and takes place in 2222", and people believing this crap.)

updates:

1) Facepunch's OP, the source of this thread, requests the closure of his thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43137072&postcount=194

2) He laughs that websites use his thread as a source of info: http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38010533&viewfull=1#post38010533

3) Valve('s Laidlaw) responds: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43137583&postcount=197

4) Valve responds once more: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43217274&postcount=226

I can only speak for myself but I am not interested in any MMO no matter how good it is unless it's free to play. I won't pay a monthly subscription for one game, period.

I highly doubt Valve has any interest in making a subscription-based MMO. As a Dota fan you should agree. :p

But it sounds like the point is moot because the rumour is false...

raebodep

Related to "the community trolling the community".

The news come from 4chan's /v/. http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1217651&p=38003436&viewfull=1#post38003436
The images are 7 months old. Not a single one of them is new. Many of them may not even be from this game/project as they are simply copy-pasted from an ex-Valve employee's portfolio. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43127146&postcount=91

Nothing to see here.

edit: It's like copy-pasting the 5 year old HL2:EP3 concept arts as proof, writing that "an insider source told me HL2:EP3 has time travel elements and takes place in 2222", and people believing this crap.

That's very disappointing. Why do the intriguing concepts never get made?

KKRT00

I dunno, why people are comparing it to EVE or even talking about 'user friendly version of EVE'

User friendly EVE wont be EVE, direct controlled ships wont make same experience as EVE and streamlining also wont help building anything similar to EVE.
You wont have big battles with FC controlling 100+ people, or 20 people if it will be direct controlled, because it will be chaos and mess combined.
You wont have cutting fleet support off, scrambling people on gates, griefing in low sec and high sec, or blocking system if game will be streamlined.
You wont have deep, tactical combat and strategic based encounters if it will have user friendly UI, because it means, it will be cut and automated in many ways.

EVE players think that EVE is too streamlined and actually need much more options in UI and deeper systems.

The black and white character art and some spaceships iirc were photographed on the walls of Valve. But maybe Valve staff just pin up their personal work...

jALtoxiEn62d6.jpg

nb. Name reads Jay Pinkerton, but he's not an artist.

xJavonta

Banned
Saw this on Reddit earlier, and I nearly jumped out of my chair during class. Looks awesome, cannot wait!

Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

DOTA 2 says hello. Also, this

Opiate

It would still involve playing with other people and I no longer want that in games. People ruin everything.

Well then, I'm sorry to tell you that the winds of change at Valve (And, as far as I can tell, gaming generally) do not favor your predilections.

Bad7667

How can people say they are more interested in this over half life 3, when we no absolutely nothing about half life?

Just seems odd to state this game we know nothing about is more interesting then another game we know nothing about.

Are you still shocked that Portal 2 and Dota 2 were made using internal sources?

dota 2, flimshaw, pish posh, it's being made by the community, look at all the crap the community is selling which valve gets a cut of. Not as if valve designed all the characters and the single map either, they're merely rebuilding a game that already exists. And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.

FACE

Banned
Doug Church's and/or Clint Hocking's game?

Edit: Goddamnit angular graphics, can't let me be unreasonably excited about likely false rumours for a second? :(

i-Lo

Art style is a touch similar to Dishonoured. I have been hoping for a new space sci-fi game after ME. Things will surely look interesting when Valve is involved. Here's hoping it doesn't turn to vaporware.

Bad7667

dota 2, flimshaw, pish posh, it's being made by the community, look at all the crap the community is selling which valve gets a cut of. And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.

Yeah, Valve didn't have anything to do with how amazing portal was.

Valve is remaking EVE?

Ok, I guess. I hope it isn't some barebones F2P game that nickel and dimes us for features.

And please don't bring up TF2. It started life as part of TOB then became a standalone game, and was only monetized later in order to continue community support. It's a severe outlier in terms of both success and quality of F2P games.

How about Tribes Ascend or Dota 2?

Cystm

Leaked right after star citizen grabs everyones attention.

regardless, I am so down for a valve space game. Bring em both on!

Doug Church's and/or Clint Hocking's game?

Edit: Goddamnit angular graphics, can't let me be unreasonably excited about likely false rumours for a second? :(

Well, no reason to despair! While the rumor is very very likely false, there's no reason that it can't be a real game. :)

We do know Valve was making this. In the past we've seen concept art, names of game files, and rendered footage. But we don't know if they are still making this, or what it is/was (it might not even be a real game, just an internal tech demo).

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Rumor or not, I've always liked that concept art.

Oppo

Loving this influx of space games recently!

Definitely. Feels like the pendulum might be swinging back... thank the maker.

I'm slightly baffled by the fact that there's been no console-based 4-player spacefighter game this gen. Just a squad of dudes taking on capital ships, coordinating over mics inside massive space battles online.

Interfectum

dota 2, flimshaw, pish posh, it's being made by the community, look at all the crap the community is selling which valve gets a cut of. Not as if valve designed all the characters and the single map either, they're merely rebuilding a game that already exists. And portal 2? well, i guess after the narbacular drop team members left someone had to make it.

So you either have no idea how video games are made or you are trolling or both.

Dota 2 is being made internally by Valve programmers and artists. Same with Portal 2. Same with Left 4 Dead 2. Same with Team Fortress 2. Sorry that makes you mad bro.

Davidion

Fake or not, I'd just like to express my full support of a game where you guide spirit breaker as he travels through space ramming random planets for kicks.

Top Bottom