• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Have you ever given up on a game completely...at the final boss?

wvnative

First I wanna say that I have this DNA that almost completely prevents me from giving up on a game due to difficulty... but I may have met my match. I am seriously thinking of giving up on this one.

Game is Mech Assault 2, and I wanna hurl the xbox out my window.

First phase is incredibly easy, blast his face relentlessly and dodge attacks every now and then. Sometimes pick up health packs which respawn every 30 seconds or so...

Then phase two starts... First you have to nerohack him, which in itself is tedious cause its basically the worst QTE implementation I've ever seen, buttons rotate so fast you don't have time to process what button to hit. Then if you miss sometimes it gets really screwy and makes you mis-read what button your supposed to hit. Also it rotates the button highlight immediately after you attach causing more confusion, all while on a very strict time limit.

Regardless of success or fail, you'll get thrown off, chances are you'll get knocked down and unable to move, while he throws fire at you which pretty much destroys your health bar. If you don't get knocked down, he has a laser attack that not only tracks you, but stun locks you while pushing you away, knocking out at least 3 health bars and possibly putting you a ways away from the health and ammo pick ups.

If you succeed the QTE, which itself is like a mini boss imo, it only lowers his shield for about ten seconds, during that ten second window you have to use your power suit's mortars, which are already a bitch to aim accurately (cause you have to hit his head) and try to aim at him while jumping, keeping him in camera view, and dodging his OP attacks. Aften ten seconds, it's time to hack him again (which again, succeed or fail, puts you in grave danger)

Just...fuck this. One of the poorest designed bosses I've seen.

Has anyone else encountered a ridiculous FINAL boss, and just said fuck this bullshit? Challenge is one thing, tedious is quite another.

Sure did. I think it was called GUN. The boss was on some high ridge and I was unable to defeat him and I just finally gave up on it.

Duxxy3

Resistance: Burning Skies.

Controls were already on the shitty side, but that last boss really exposed how terrible they were. It's a shame because I mostly enjoyed the game.

wvnative

Sure did. I think it was called GUN. The boss was on some high ridge and I was unable to defeat him and I just finally gave up on it.

I just beat GUN a couple weeks ago. Agreed the final boss was tedious, I pulled it off after a couple hours though (at least that boss had a checkpoint)

asagami_

Banned
Actually I almost give up yesterday with The World Ends with You final boss.

Thank god there's a option to play in Easy difficulty if you are defeated lol

revyb

Neo Member
I've come close. I quit playing Riviera: The Promised Land in the final dungeon, I believe at the penultimate boss or somewhere in the final dungeon. I don't remember why I was having so much trouble, as I don't remember that game being excruciatingly hard, but I think I struggled to beat them and just gave up and never really came back.

I also, not by choice, quit playing DK64 at the final boss and still haven't finished the game. My next door neighbor growing up had the game and we played together, and were pretty young at the time so we got stuck on the big K.Rool fight. I think we got to the final phase a few times but just never made it. Then he moved away before we could finish. I really want to finish that fight, but I don't want to go all the way through all of DK64 again to do so even though I own the game myself now.

kromeo

Persona 1 my party was set up in a way that made it impossible to beat the final boss and I couldn't be bothered to go all the way through the dungeon again so I just watched the ending on youtube

bionic77

The only game I gave up on was Ghosts and Goblins for the NES. I could never clear the level before the last boss.

I have stopped playing a few games on the last stage or boss when I got bored of them. Never because of the challenge. Most games today are not that hard IMO.

Uncharted 2 in the Drake collection. Although I did already beat it on PS3, this fight just sucks.

I put Witcher 3 away for a long time because I was having difficulty beating ::DLC spoilers::
Detlaff
but came back and whooped his ass easily.

I remember I had just about given up on Onimusha due to the final boss as well, I had a friend come over and beat him for me.

Piccoro

Don't know why but I used to do that a lot.
Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy X and others that I can't remember right now.

EDIT: Shinobi PS2 also.

Only once: Sakura Samurai: The Art of the Sword. The game is difficult and I appreciated it for that, but the final boss is relentless. In a game where every attack you make carries it own consequences, the endgame boss swings at you like a DBZ villain that's been charging up for the last 5 episodes.

sakura22.jpg

KDR_11k

Plenty. The motivation to beat the final boss is pretty low as you've already seen everything the game has to offer so when you suddenly get a huge multi-phase difficulty spike that'll take hours to get good enough to overcome it's more fun to just pick another game that's still full of unexplored content.

I mean, especially mega man games where the final boss is basically three different bosses with no check points in between and if you run out of lives you often have to redo the boss refights...

Special mention to Rayman though, I never got to the final boss there because it requires finding 100% of the secrets.

shaneo632

Quite a few times. If I've spent a few hours trying I tend to just watch the end on YouTube, life's too damn short man.

Nheco

Killzone 2. The game is repetitive as fuck, was playing on hard, and the final boss was irrtating: rage quited after dying a lot.

VN1X

Banned
Yup, Undertale. Didn't like it from the start mind but just couldn't bothered with the final boss.

That entire game is just one big nonsensical mess. Incredibly boring to play. #controversy

Mareg

Final fantasy 8.

I don't remember exactly but I think I had misunderstood the whole battle system for the full game. I was using some combination of something to defeat all monsters easily. But at the last dungeon, the game did something to remove my "exploit". I just said, fuck that game !

Persona 3.

The final boss takes somewhere around an hour and a half to fight and has 13 forms.

Three times in a row I got it to the 13th form, with about a tenth of that form's health left, and died.

Hard quit and youtubed the ending lol.

tkscz

Viewtiful Joe on V-rated. Holy shit Captain Blue was hard as hell. None of the other bosses were that bad. I eventually did it as I really wanted to unlock Alaster, but I gave up for a while.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Final Fantasy XIII, when that cheap fucker started to spam insta-death spells on my party all the time.

sirpikaz

Neo Member
Star Ocean: The Second Story

When I was a teen playing this game, I just kept grinding after losing the final battle, and it never seemed to help after even getting my characters to level 90, never went back.

Ricker

Yep...2 quick ones that I remember...Risen 1 and Bound by Flame.

In Risen you have to do small jumps,on a platform to avoid falling through holes,which insta kill you,something that is totally useless and you never have to do all game,because one it's the worst jumping animation ever...so after close to 80 hours of leveling your guy and all,factions grinding etc etc,you fail the Boss fight because the jumping is dogshit...I tried about 10 times and just said fuck it...

And Bound by Flame was just ridiculously hard,even on normal,gave up after only a few attempts.

My wife does this all the time, though it's not "giving up." She just doesn't finish the game.

Breath Of The Wild for example. She's put in 50+ more hours than I have. Has way more gear and experience. All she has left to do is beat Gannon...and she just hasn't done it yet.

It drives me crazy.

Luigi87

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin

I dunno, I just couldn't beat him and eventually said screw it. Considered going back one day...

Qwark

Final Fantasy 7. I just could not win the last fight, and I didn't want to grind in that stupid mountain so I just moved on. 10 years later I beat it for good though.

Edit: Also Final Fantasy 3, that last dungeon is relentless. I still haven't gone back to beat that one.

Ys Seven. I only used Adol the whole game and then the game expects me to use all the party members I never used for the final boss. Needless to say, I decided the hours of grinding it would’ve taken to beat the final boss wasn’t worth it and YouTube’d the ending.

rmatheso

EDF 2525.

The last boss is just too insane. It would require grinding levels again and/or lowering it to easy... Actually I should try again.

HenryEen

Banned
Persona 1 my party was set up in a way that made it impossible to beat the final boss and I couldn't be bothered to go all the way through the dungeon again so I just watched the ending on youtube

Lol me too. I played the PSP version and gives up at the final boss. I need to watch the ending at Youtube.

B00TE

I used to have a horrible habit of quitting a game before beating the final boss. Not ever out of difficulty or being stuck either, I just stopped then came back half a year later to finish it. Especially with games I enjoyed thoroughly, I think a part of me hated the idea of the experience ending lol.

tariniel

Final Fantasy XIII - I remember when the game finally got open world, I actually didn't like that part because the random battles were always behemoths or other annoying shit to fight, so I just ran from the battles. By the time I got to the final boss I felt underleveled, and failed 10 times in a row. So I watched the ending on youtube.

Final Fantasy IX - This one I was unwilling, the copy I had rented from hollywood was scratched and crashed every time it tried to load the cutscene after killing the final boss. All these years later I still don't know how it ends, and I'm hesitant to just look it up on youtube because I don't remember any of the rest of the story. It's on my list to replay someday when it goes on sale on Steam for the right price.

Riska

Neo Member
Final Fantasy XII on PS2. Forced my way through the whole game. "It'll get better... it'll get better."

Realized I was at the final boss... and just turned off the Playstation. I had no desire to see how it ended and still don't.

Grudy

I must have been 1 or 2 hits away from beating the final boss of Furi when I had a stupid death. I basically said good enough and didn’t try again since.

That Warhammer Space Marine game. I was getting really sick of it by the end because every successive battle was just a longer and longer slog against more and more (and sponge-ier) enemies. When I found out that the final 'boss' was just the biggest wave-based arena fight of them all followed by some QTEs I was out of there like a shot. No regrets.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
tons of those. I hate it, but can't be arsed to spend additional time in frustration when I practically finished the game. Castlevania ones are a good example, played them all ( the 2d ones), yet the only one I actually beat was Dawn of Sorrow

Re5 Gold - I gave up at the fight here I need to use measles or a bazooka or something. I don't know, nor do I care to remember. This was about 4+ years ago -_-

Deft Beck

I almost did that with The World Ends With You before I just cranked the difficulty all the way down and cheesed it.

Top Bottom